• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Book lengths

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Martyn

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure this question has been done to death so my apologies in advance.

What's the acceptable word count for first time novelists for :

1. Adult;

2. Young adult;

3. Children

Are children 8 to 10 and children 11 to 13 or so considered seperate genres with different acceptable word counts?

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure this question has been done to death so my apologies in advance.

What's the acceptable word count for first time novelists for :

1. Adult;

2. Young adult;

3. Children

Adult - adult what? What's the genre? Is it science fiction (SF), fantasy, thriller, romance...? Need to know the genre before any intelligent answers can come your way. :)

For instance, I write fantasy, and an acceptable word count is somewhere between 90,000 and 120,000 words.

~Nancy

Mike Martyn

Registered
Reaction score
My understanding is that for a first book, it doesn't matter the genre but for the sake of discussion say its thriller.

Bear in mind what I'm asking about is the word lendth that will be accepted by a publisher for a first timer and not Steven King who can get something the size of a cinder block published because the publisher knows it will sell.

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My understanding is that for a first book, it doesn't matter the genre but for the sake of discussion say its thriller.

Bear in mind what I'm asking about is the word lendth that will be accepted by a publisher for a first timer and not Steven King who can get something the size of a cinder block published because the publisher knows it will sell.

Actually, it does matter what genre it is, because different genres will have different acceptable word lengths (and, believe me, I wasn't talking about Stephen King :D).

Mysteries, for example, usually (mystery writers, please feel free to jump in if I'm incorrect) come in at less words than that in spec fic (SF/fantasy/horror).

Why? Damned if I know. :tongue I guess publishers have found these particular word counts sell well.

~Nancy

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I started this thread recently with a link to one agent's take on the issue. Lots of people gave their feedback and experience. Hope it helps you.

Status
Not open for further replies.