Reno is shaking continueously, there may be a big one here, and one other thing...

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hundreds of quakes and after shocks since Feb 28 continue to shake the ground and the people of Reno NV. We have been told to prepare for a big one since the quakes are getting stronger. Normally the quakes are big followed by small after shocks and eventually diminish. The quakes in Reno have been doing the opposite. One quake cased over 100 aftershocks in a 24 hour period followed by another quake. Not a normal occurrence scientists say. If you'd like to check into it further you can google "Reno earthquakes" and get a load of info.

So, if there is a big one here and I can't get into AW to tell you if I'm all right I'll need a phone number. I'll PM Mac my phone number so in case of an emergency she can try to get a hold of me. I hope it doesn't go further than a few more ground shakes but if it does, I love you dorks!

Now that I've done the hard part of what has to be done I'll go about my life as usual.

I also just found out my favorite uncle is dieing of pancreatic cancer. I'm so bummed. He was the coolest uncle and he was also the uncle I almost shot for saying that I was the cause of my dad molesting me. A few years later he told me that he was also molested and hadn't dealt with it. Without saying the words he was sorry for what he had done, I knew he was sorry and forgave him. I need to write him a letter and that's going to be hard. We have a silent connection and each one knows it and now I have to say goodbye.

Earthquakes I can deal with, this is going to be hard.

I need a hug.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Hug to you, dork.

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Please stay safe writerterri. We all hope everything will turn out alright and the quakes will stop.

Richard

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{big hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

As far as the earthquake thing goes, I was awakened twice in Tennessee with circa 5 point quakes last week. No fun. I've been following the situation in Reno closely and it does look ominous. It's good of you to make arrangements to let us know 'in case.'

As far as writing that letter, I've just had to do something very similar. It's hard to come to that point where you can offer up forgiveness for a wrong done to you--especially on an issue as touchy as this one. Allow me just to say this much: in the end, when all is said and done, you feel better for it, which is a good thing. But for your uncle, it may be the last step to a reconciliation with himself--and doing that for him may be the greatest gift anyone could give him.

Best of luck to you.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{big hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

As far as the earthquake thing goes, I was awakened twice in Tennessee with circa 5 point quakes last week. No fun. I've been following the situation in Reno closely and it does look ominous. It's good of you to make arrangements to let us know 'in case.'

As far as writing that letter, I've just had to do something very similar. It's hard to come to that point where you can offer up forgiveness for a wrong done to you--especially on an issue as touchy as this one. Allow me just to say this much: in the end, when all is said and done, you feel better for it, which is a good thing. But for your uncle, it may be the last step to a reconciliation with himself--and doing that for him may be the greatest gift anyone could give him.

Best of luck to you.

That was sweet, thanks.

He was a wrecking ball for our family but our family is dwindling down so we kept him in. Now he's... well... greatful we all still love him.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gigantic hug. Is the phone number you're sharing a land line, or a cell? I don't know which is more likely to have disruption in service.

Be safe, and be there for your uncle, who's lucky to have you--as we are. My sister-in-law tells me that when they're getting lots of small quakes, she moves the emergency supplies to a place likely to be accessible in the worst-case scenario, and packs away her great grandmother's china, just in case.

Maryn, a bit of a dork

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Bear hugs to you, and a captial DORK.

I'm sorry you're going through so much right now.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
*****HUG*****

I have no words... but I'll give you as many hugs as you need. In fact, drive a few hours west and I'll even give you RL hugs :)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
TerriWerri, for goodness' sake. Just get yourself here NOW. I've got a lovely warm blankie for you to snuggle up in until it's safe to go back home, and some nice biscuits to keep you going.

Keep yourself safe and keep in touch.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
And people laugh at me when I'm buried under 4 feet of snow and it's minus a million outside. At least we don't get earthquakes.
Sorry to hear you're going through a rough patch. Hope you manage to "weather the storm". All the best.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
Take care. Maybe a trip to a geologically stable area is in order.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Be safe. we expect to hear from you daily.

PS- Turn west and wave bye-bye to all the human beans in california. If this IS the big one, they may just slide off into the ocean.
Then, you'll have beachfront property.

sorry to hear about the uncle.

choppersmom

---
Registered
Reaction score
Be careful, Werri, and check in when you can!

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I meant you guys send me a phone number to call, dorks. I sent Mac my phone and address incase you hear of a quake and don't hear from me.

I have a number though.

And the number I gave Mac is a land line. Probably not a good idea. I'll send her my cell.

Thanks everyone!

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're still on the map!

I've been busy making things, working, and taking the kids to the pool. Lord knows they needed the bath. I have the next few days off and I plan on dorking a lot of people.

So, hugs and smooches!

Dorks.

Tornadoboy

I bite
Registered
Reaction score
I posted a simular thread earlier about the Nevada tremors, it seems like there's a lot going on with earthquakes lately. Including the weird ones going on off the coast of Oregon, which have scientists completely dumbfounded.

It leaves me wondering if all this activity is a sign that a number of major faults are shifting and re-distributing their strain, which also makes me think about the San Andreas too, which has been long overdue. :eek:

I live in the northeast so in theory I don't have to worry about such things in the immediate future, but still I hope I'm just being my usual paranoid self.

Sorry about your uncle, bummer. :(

Last edited: