Question: is there a market for long short stories?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GailKavanagh

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.valeofavondale.com
Hi everyone. I am hoping someone can help me.
I have written a children's short story of about 4500 words. I don't want to cut it, but the only market I've found that accepts over 1000 words so far is Story Station - and their limit is 3000.
Does anyone know of any other markets that accept longer short stories? Or should I try to turn it into a novel? The story is aimed at 9-12 year olds.

Gail Kavanagh

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I generally write short stories for older teens but these markets tend to take all genres Here are a few.

Buddy Tales
they accept short stories up to 5000 words. Some months have themes but there are two issues that are open. The deadline for the first open theme is April 15.

Toasted Cheese
If you are willing to cut 500 words, they accept stories up to 4,000 words.

Apollo's Lyre
Accept some longer pieces up to 8000 words.

If you want more, send me a pm and I'll see if I can find some or at least point you in the right direction to find them on your own.

Last edited:

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
Most picture book publishers will state in their rejections that their limit is 32 pages or about 1,000 words, and they're never, never, ever going to change that for anyone, never, not ever, so go away and don't come back until you learn to write stories that fit their word count limit and their high literary standards!

And then, a month later, they bring out a 56-page tome written by a pop star with some time to kill between gigs. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.