PDA

View Full Version : Need a new series...

auntybug
04-29-2008, 06:20 PM
We don't have any cable or dish service at our house (by choice) so I'm a big movie buyer. We watch (& re-watch) a couple a week.

Lately, our thing is Trilogies, Anthologies etc...

We've watched Star Wars, X-Men, Batman, Superman, Spiderman, Star Trek, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, the mini series of 10th Kingdom (hold your tongue Ray, we loved it ;) )We've done all the Disneys (Shrek, all cartoons - Lion King etc...Man from Snowy River...) & some two-sies like Fantastic 4....

Can anyone think of something else? I feel like there is something obvious I'm missing....

I prefer things I can watch w/ our 11 year old daughter. (Not always a good thing... she now quotes the 3 Amigos :roll: )

Thanks in advance!
ab - movie junkie

ETA: Lord of the Rings - thanks Chaos

quickWit
04-29-2008, 06:33 PM
What, no Godfather? I and II are only in the top 10 best movies evah!

No Jaws? Where's your head? :D

dirtsider
04-29-2008, 06:40 PM
Personally, I like the PBS documentaries and the BBC editions of various classics like Pride & Prejudice, Daniel Deronda, etc.

auntybug
04-29-2008, 06:43 PM
We've also done Theme things like... at one point I grabbed everything King Arthur-ish that I could find.

Okay... we've even done Aadams family... so don't hold back people!

ChaosTitan
04-29-2008, 06:43 PM
You mentioned The 10th Kingdom, so some other good miniseries to consider: Band of Brothers, From the Earth to the Moon, The Stand, Tin Man, The Kill Point, Gettysburg, North & South.

Other movie series: Lord of the Rings, Scream (if you don't mind horror), the Scary Movie films (if you don't mind dumb humor), American Pie, The Karate Kid, um...

quickWit
04-29-2008, 06:46 PM
The Bourne movies

The Matrix movies

The Rocky movies...

ChaosTitan
04-29-2008, 06:48 PM
Also, how about a Director Theme?

Baz Lurhman - Strictly Ballroom, Romeo & Juliet, Moulin Rouge

Steven Spielberg - Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Munich

Penny Marshall - Big, A League of Their Own, Riding in Cars With Boys

Ridley Scott - White Squall, Black Hawk Down, Gladiator

WriteKnight
04-29-2008, 06:48 PM
The FIREFLY series.

The entire SHARPES RIFLES series.

auntybug
04-29-2008, 07:19 PM
I haven't heard of some of these.. Thanks gang! Keep 'em comin'.

ChaosTitan
04-29-2008, 07:21 PM
The Aliens movies.

The Predator series.

The Rambo films.

dirtsider
04-29-2008, 07:29 PM
Japanese Anime!!! They tend to pull a lot from different themes and myths. Just watched Infinite Ryvius which is a cross between Lord of the Flies and The Hunt for the Red October.

Some of my favorite Anime series:

Full Metal Alchemist
Full Metal Panic
Infinite Ryvius
Hell Girl
Witch Hunter Robin
Trinity Blood

Gilgamesh (very grim but interweaves the Epic of Gilgamesh poem throughout the series)

Mr Flibble
04-29-2008, 07:39 PM
Austin Powers

Pirates

Airplane I and II

Escape from New York / LA ( not sure about your daughter for those though!)

Muppet movies

Superman series

the Ace Ventura two

Back to the Future

Batman series

The Karate Kid ( my son loves them!)

Bond movies

Toothpaste
04-29-2008, 07:41 PM
Have you considered renting tv shows? I don't know if they are age approproiate - but you would definitely have a lot of viewing ahead of you if you rented, LOST, Battlestar Gallactica or Heroes. These TV shows are a lot like movies and amazing.

I know you are into the Fantasy/SF stuff right now, but I would also highly recommend the 6 hour Pride and Prejudice starring Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle made in 1995 (not the Keira Knightly one, not that that one is bad . . .). It is fantastic and very addictive. You think it would be too slow or something, but it so isn't. Both my parents wound up staying till 1am watching it when it first came out (and they are always in bed by 11pm). It is very funny, beautifully acted, and yes . . .romantic. But I know men who've enjoyed it too. It's hard not to. That's my biggest recommendation.

Straka
04-29-2008, 07:46 PM
Japanese Anime!!! They tend to pull a lot from different themes and myths. Just watched Infinite Ryvius which is a cross between Lord of the Flies and The Hunt for the Red October.

Some of my favorite Anime series:

Full Metal Alchemist
Full Metal Panic
Infinite Ryvius
Hell Girl
Witch Hunter Robin
Trinity Blood

Gilgamesh (very grim but interweaves the Epic of Gilgamesh poem throughout the series)

You forgot:

Blood+
Bleach
Black Lagoon
Eureka 7
Cowboy Beebop
Ghost in the Shell

oh the list goes on.... yes its an addiction.

Battlestar Galatica is great too.

I highly suggest getting Netflixs for watching series. Its SOOO much cheaper than buying. And if you have to buy I only buy movies from deepdiscountdvd.com

Awesome prices and free shipping. Tough to beat

jennontheisland
04-29-2008, 07:52 PM
I was going to say The Tudors series, but it's not kid-friendly.

The Mummy movies. There's also a dvd of 6 cartoons (aimed at the 5-12 yo group)based on the movies. The Scorpion King fits in there too even though it's not part of the series.

James81
04-29-2008, 07:54 PM
Might I make a suggestion?

Try joining Netflix. Not only will you get as many movies/TV series that you can watch for one low price, but you also can SEARCH through thousands of DVDs and find the ones you like.

Plus, if you are buying movies at such a rate as to buy all those series, you could afford to pay the 4 at a time or more.

ChaosTitan
04-29-2008, 07:55 PM
I prefer things I can watch w/ out 11 year old daughter.

My fault, I read this as "things I can watch w/out 11 year old daughter." I'm thinking you meant "with our," so some of my recs might be a tad old for her. ;)

auntybug
04-29-2008, 07:58 PM
I highly suggest getting Netflixs for watching series. Its SOOO much cheaper than buying. And if you have to buy I only buy movies from deepdiscountdvd.com

Thanks for the url - I'll check it out. I never signed up for netflix - I want it there when I want it there - I never know when we are gonna sit & watch something. We have a place that I get new releases - buy 2 get 2 free - & older ones for $5 - I get 4-6 at a crack for $30. I also use Amazon & B&N - usually in the $5 range too. With the price of basic cable in my area - I can spend $60 a month w/ no guilt! I have only had a handfull we would never watch again.

auntybug
04-29-2008, 08:00 PM
My fault, I read this as "things I can watch w/out 11 year old daughter." I'm thinking you meant "with our," so some of my recs might be a tad old for her. ;)

Oops - fixed typo - thanks. She does sleep overs - any suggestions still welcome :D

NikeeGoddess
04-29-2008, 08:02 PM
yeah, did you mean w/our or w/out 11 year old daughter

anyhoo - if it's w/our: try Whale Rider - it was fantastic!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0298228/

ChaosTitan
04-29-2008, 08:06 PM
In that case...

The Might Ducks 1, 2, 3

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the first two live-action films, plus the new animated, but stay away from the third live-action--it was awful)

Anne of Green Gables/Anne of Avonlea/The Continuing Story

Don Bluth marathon: Land Before Time (original, not the sequels), All Dogs Go to Heaven, The Secret of NIMH, An American Tail

Inky
04-29-2008, 08:06 PM
I've started using Netflix. Even though I'm in Turkey, they get to me within just a few days--and there's no rush over how long it takes you to send movies back. I like their setup better than Blockbuster's home delivery.

As mention, Pride & Prejudice, Sense & Sensability, Beaches, Dead Poet's Society, Steel Magnolias, Fried Green Tomatoes.

Now, as for you and husband, my daughter bought this series--season one--and I really had no desire to see it. After the first episode, next thing I knew, I was on the couch for the entire weekend with her, watching episode after espidode. Then bought season two from Amazon. We tried to make it last, but to no avail & were finished with season two in about 3 days. Now we're screwed, as we have to wait for season three to hopefully be released this summer. What am I talking about?
Prison Break.

I really had NO desire to see it.....man....was I ever wrong. This thing is so addicting. Now, my 11 and 14 year old watch it, but we're all different in how we parent. You and your husband watch it first & make the call. Like I said, this would be something for the two of you to enjoy when kid goes to bed.

Alien vs Preditor was really good...again, a movie for you and your husband to have a 'date' when kids are asleep predawn, or late night.

Kingdom of Heaven--extended version is good. LOTR extended version too. We just picked up The Golden Compass today...haven't watched it...I'll let you know.

Maniteeman
04-29-2008, 08:09 PM
No Great Escape?
No Hunt for Red October?
NO DAS BOOT?
War films are the way to go.

Inky
04-29-2008, 08:23 PM
Kingdom of Heaven & LOTR are war films :e2tongue: :ROFL:

katiemac
04-30-2008, 12:26 AM
Planet Earth!!

childeroland
04-30-2008, 04:27 AM
The Thin Man films
Any kid-friendly anime -- Astro Boy, Naruto, and Inuyasha, etc.
Any of Miyazaki's films.
Looney Tunes - hard to go wrong there.

BarbaraKE
04-30-2008, 01:23 PM
If you like SciFi, I heartily recommend the five seasons of Babylon 5.

Warning - it's highly addictive. My 12-year-old son and I were like zombies - we had to keep watching it. We once spent an entire Saturday going through 10 hour-long episodes.

My absolute favorite television series ever.

auntybug
04-30-2008, 05:04 PM
Thanks everyone! Should keep me busy for a while sorting through these. The other theme selections were great too - I think I even found another:

We watched "We are Marshall" last night. My daughter liked it too. Made me want to get "Remember the Titans" I really enjoyed that one years ago. I think she'd sit throught it. I also loved "The Replacements". Funny - I HATE football but love these.

Thanks again! Reps all around :D

Bmwhtly
04-30-2008, 06:07 PM
Sharpe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharpe_%28TV_series%29)

Swashbuckling yarns set during the Napoleonic wars.
Plus, the younglings might learn something about history.
Also, you may enjoy how often Sean Bean gets his shirt off.

Inky
04-30-2008, 07:29 PM
You know, my girls thought it was pronounced: Seen Bean? Jeeze, now I can't look at his name/face without saying it the way they were--and giggling.

Benners? What's that movie..Here Comes The Fuzz? Is that the correct title? Bug, you've GOT to get your hands on this movie. You'll laugh until you ache.

Bmwhtly
04-30-2008, 07:31 PM
Benners? What's that movie..Here Comes The Fuzz? Is that the correct title? Bug, you've GOT to get your hands on this movie. You'll laugh until you ache.:rolleyes:
Hot Fuzz.

HeronW
04-30-2008, 07:33 PM
Anything based on Dr Seuss :}

samgail
05-17-2008, 02:47 AM
The Die Hard movies with bruce willis

TheIT
05-17-2008, 02:54 AM
If you liked 10th Kingdom (one of my favorites :D), I'd also recommend the mini-series Arabian Nights and Gulliver's Travels.

childeroland
05-17-2008, 03:07 AM
Do you use Netflix's Instant Viewing feature to watch TV? How does it compare to cable and/or satellite?

You forgot:

Blood+
Bleach
Black Lagoon
Eureka 7
Cowboy Beebop
Ghost in the Shell

oh the list goes on.... yes its an addiction.

Battlestar Galatica is great too.