Side dishes and fried fishes

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I told Dino I'd start this thread.

We do a lot of fish fries here. Pan fish like crappie and bluegill are some of the best eating around here. I won't say no to catfish or bass either.

What do you bring to a fish fry?

A.M. Wildman

Tentenda via est
Registered
Reaction score

We do a lot of fish fries here. Pan fish like crappie and bluegill are some of the best eating around here. I won't say no to catfish or bass either.

8 cases of beer

you need 3 cans to make good batter. The rest is to help the cooks cook. ;)

Mmm fried fish, coleslaw, potato salad. Damn! Now i'm hungry.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com

Pan fried bass is my favorite; catfish, bluegill, crappie are not far behind. I also like carp and spoonbill as well.

My Pop (grandfather) was famous for his fish fries so in my opinion you have to have plenty of very strong, home made ice tea, green tomato relish, cornbread or biscuits, pinto beans or baked beans, and some kind of 'taters fried.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I like to fire up the grill while the fish is frying.

In a foil pouch I put potatoes, mushrooms and onions with a bit of garlic, salt and pepper, some butter, seal it and throw it on the grill.

And fresh asparagus on the grill. I put the asparagus in boiling water just until it turns color, make up a couple of table spoons of olive oil, minced garlic and finely chopped onion to brush over the asparagus and then put it on the grill.

I make a roasted red potato salad.

cucumber salad - cucumber, onion, salt, pepper, bit of sugar vinegar and water - marinate it over night.

And I drink a case of AM Wildman's beer.

Last edited:

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Mmm...baked beans and potato salad, rye bread, a thick slice of onion, cucumber salad...mmmmm

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Um...cornbread.

Hey, Trish, please hand me another one of A.M. Wildman's beers if you would.

A.M. Wildman

Tentenda via est
Registered
Reaction score
One of the best fish fry's I ever went to.

Guy I knew when I was at Ft. Stewart, Ga. had a houseboat on the bank of the Altmaha River. We spent the weekend sitting on the deck, cooking and eating as we caught 'em.

If I remember correctly the beer fridge was so full we had to put the overflow in a net bag and stick it in the river to keep the beer cold. :D

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Fruit salad - canteloupe, honeydew, pinapple, grapes, strawberries, orange wedges - tiny bit of sugar to bring out the juice - get it super cold.
Back in my younger days, would put all that fruit, plus a couple of lemons into mason jars and pour vodka over them. let them sit in the cooler buried in ice all afternoon then pass the fruit jar around. :)

Last edited:

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I think I forgot the tomatoes. Holy crap!

I never forget the tomatoes - slice 'em and salt 'em.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
My cousin and his wife hosted some of the best fish fries ever. Huge dutch oven to cook the fish in. Hushpuppies. Plenty of beer and whatever your fancy was.

It was both sides of his family and one side of his wife's. Guests were supposed to bring a side, so there was a ton of stuff, with just about everything imaginable.

Good times, and one of my favorite summer events. They live way out in the country, so the kids can all run around and wear themselves out.

I hope you all know that this crazy pregnant woman is now craving some fried catfish with a passion now.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I was just thinking about the massive amounts of food we always had too - cole slaws, black bean and corn salsa, corn on the cob, corn casseroles, everything from everyone's garden, deviled eggs, celery with peanut butter, celery with cream cheese.

A.M. Wildman

Tentenda via est
Registered
Reaction score
I was just thinking about the massive amounts of food we always had too - cole slaws, black bean and corn salsa, corn on the cob, corn casseroles, everything from everyone's garden, deviled eggs, celery with peanut butter, celery with cream cheese.

That's my family fish fry or not. We could feed 25-30 more people with what ends up on the table by the time we're done.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
My cousin and his wife hosted some of the best fish fries ever. Huge dutch oven to cook the fish in. Hushpuppies. Plenty of beer and whatever your fancy was.

It was both sides of his family and one side of his wife's. Guests were supposed to bring a side, so there was a ton of stuff, with just about everything imaginable.

Good times, and one of my favorite summer events. They live way out in the country, so the kids can all run around and wear themselves out.

I hope you all know that this crazy pregnant woman is now craving some fried catfish with a passion now.

Oh, yes, yes, yes. If we're having catfish, we must have hushpuppies.

And more of A.M. Wildman's beer.

And, Trish? I was going to bring some lemon bars, but I like your selection of fruit better.

eta: and if we're having catfish and hushpuppies, can we have some greens too?

czjaba

dreaming of the day...
Registered
Reaction score
*wipes drool off chin*

We had about 2 fish fry's per year and then 2 pig-pickin's per year. All the fixin's were about the same. Homemade coleslaw, hushpuppies, fried cornbread, potato salad, deviled eggs, and as many cakes as there were cooks. My favorite was the 10-layer chocolate cake and pecan pie.
Oh, and sweet tea. But we had to be careful not to get the tea mixed up with vinegar. My cousin did this once.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite fish fries took place in Michigan during the winter. I'd visit my brother-in-law, who had a nice, cozy shanty on a frozen lake near where he lived. We'd freeze our butts off getting out there, but once inside and with the stove lit, we'd enjoy a couple of beers, and before long, we were shedding our heavy winter gear.

We sat in chairs looking down into a square hole several feet long that had been cut into the ice. With a flashlight shining, we could see some distance below the surface. The water was clear and still. Now and then, fish would appear, moving very slowly. We'd lower our lines and tease them with the shiny blades of our lures. The fish, usually perch, moved closer to investigate, often staring at the lure for several seconds before deciding it looked tasty. Time seemed to happen in slow motion as the fish opened its mouth, moved closer and turned slightly to take the bait. After some agonizing moments, it was safe to set the hook and reel in part of our dinner. The fish were then placed outside the shanty in a natural freezer until it was time to head home.

Our fish fries weren't fancy. We'd include homemade hush puppies and coleslaw and maybe some potato salad. But the fish was the center of attraction, freshly caught and cooked, the meat still holding its sweet flavor from that wild, clear water where it was created.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome story, Dino!

Just the other night we caught a few bass, cleaned and fried them that same night for dinner. I made some onion rings and some potato chippers to go with it.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...Just the other night we caught a few bass, cleaned and fried them that same night for dinner. I made some onion rings and some potato chippers to go with it.
There is a special sense of purpose it seems, a feeling of completeness, when you prepare a meal from your catch. It's like you've gone full circle, starting at one point in the process and going all the way back to the kitchen.

I hardly ever fish for table fare anymore, but when I do, there is no other feeling quite like it, one in which I visit an animal's environment as a guest and return with enough food to nourish my family. It's primordial in a way, a nod to our ancestors who existed solely upon their wits and means to deceive their prey.

I find that when you cut into a fish that is still moving and thirty minutes later it's nestled on your dinner plate, steam rising as you eat, you'll taste the fish's actual life and death, its essence and environment now a very real part of your existence.

ETA: That sounds a lot more philosophical than I intended...

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
It sounded more philosophical than you intended, but it is exactly the feeling. It's perfectly right. At least it feels perfectly right and truthful to me.