PDA

View Full Version : I wonder

Alphabet
04-05-2005, 04:09 AM
I wonder whether icing your query letter onto a giant cookie would work?
Including a SASE of course!

Susie
04-05-2005, 05:28 AM
First, yum and second, it would work for me and others here, I bet, but for editors probably not.:) Much good luck.

Warm regards, Susie

mommie4a
04-05-2005, 05:30 AM
I wonder whether icing your query letter onto a giant cookie would work?
Including a SASE of course!

So long as the recipient isn't a diabetic - eeek! :o

Alphabet
04-05-2005, 05:40 AM
Good point mommie, but I'm sure not everyone in the agency would be a diabetic. I could ice a health warning in small icing at the bottom of the cookie. Best to be safe.

Alphabet
04-05-2005, 05:51 AM
They might think I'm a rookie
If I write it on a cookie
But I'm sure they'd be more fickle
If I put it on a pickle

firehorse
04-05-2005, 06:06 AM
I wonder whether icing your query letter onto a giant cookie would work? The first time I went in for a meeting at William Morris, I brought the agent's assistant a bag of chocolate chip cookies. I don't remember this, but she does. The agent took me on as a hip-pocket client, and the assistant went way above and beyond the call of duty in trying to find me work as a television writer. Unfortunately, I never was hired on NY-based show, and I refused to move to LA, so eventually we parted company (yes, I kick myself often now). But she still remembers the chocolate-chip cookies; she's now one of their cornerstone agents and she's still willing to read anything I write.

It's not the agents we need to schmooze; it's the assistants! ;)

clockwork
04-05-2005, 03:14 PM
It's not the agents we need to schmooze; it's the assistants!

You're absolutely right about that. My current agent was an assistant for many years and because it was always up to him to get so-and-so on the phone, he ended up speaking not only to so-and-so but so-and-so's assistant and whoever else answered. He built up this huge list of conacts which paid dividends when he became an agent himself. I guess by that logic I should abandon him for his current assistant. Well. Maybe not.

dragonjax
04-05-2005, 07:48 PM
Hey, if I were an agent, I'd definitely open the queries with cookies in them first. Because, you know, those are perishable submissions. Sorta like smudging the postmark date--you look at those first. ;)