jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
http://www.boingboing.net/2008/04/28/artist-repairs-spide.html

All of the patches were made by inserting segments one at a time directly into the web. Sometimes the thread was starched, which made it stiffer and easier to work with. The short threads were held in place by the stickiness of the spider web itself; longer threads were reinforced by dipping the tips into white glue. I fixed the holes in the web until it was fully repaired, or until it could no longer bear the weight of the thread. In the process, I often caused further damage when the tweezers got tangled in the web or when my hands brushed up against it by accident.

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Far too much of the funny stuff being smoked I think. Some of the accompanying comments are well worth the read. Ones like this:

Spiders detect the direction of incoming flies by resonance of the according string. This makes them so incredible fast, because every leg sits on one *main* string. Strength of resonance tells them distance and weight. So this *repair* is very funny and beautiful, i really like it, but it reflects human relation to nature very precise: we beleive to *repair* something, but in reality destroy it even more. And in a spectacular, entertaining and beautiful way.

If only she'd known this info before she started.

JJ