Want noir to the 9th power? See "Sin City"

katdad

Registered curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.waas.us
Saw "Sin City" Sunday and I was blown away. It's stunning and inventive and I was immediately enraptured.

There are few movies that I want to see again soon but this was one of them. I highly recommend it.

Warning -- "Sin City" contains unrelenting violence -- it's maybe the most graphically violent movie I have ever seen. So be prepared for that.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Good recommendation, Katdad. I enjoyed very much myself.

It's funny; all the critcs I've read seem to hate it (C+ or 2 1/2 stars) whereas the audience ratings are much, much higher (4 1/2 stars).

But, like katdad also said, very gruesome at moments. I'd say it was right up there with "Passion of the Christ" when it came to gore.

(Actually, my new sig's a line from the film.)

katdad

Registered curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.waas.us
Ebert liked it

Roger Ebert gave it 4 stars. But Ebert's a pushover for Tarentino anyway. Nevertheless he's my most faithful reviewer.

And if you check out Rottentomatoes, you'll actually find plenty of reviewers who liked the movie.

Anyway... I liked it!

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Well that's good to know! I mostly stick to Entertainment Weekly, and was a little depressed to see they didn't like it over there. I love that magazine.

Ebert... I hardly ever agree with them I don't really pay much attention to their reviews anymore. Ah -- Tarantino, he didn't have much to do with this film anyway, but that's all right.

Very cool, overall. Have you checked out sincitythemovie.com? It's pretty neat. On Entertainment Weekly's website they've got a couple of screen caps matched up against movie stills, and the precision (angles of guns, flying bullets, facial expressions) are just perfect compared to Miller's original sketches.

Fractured_Chaos

Distra-- Ooh! Shiny!
Registered
Reaction score
You know, maybe I'm living in a vacuum, but I never hear thing one about this movie, until last night. So, out of curiosity, I did a search on it, and found trailers.

OMFG!!!!!!

I have GOT to go see this!

Anatole Ghio

Ironic Paranormal
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Frank Miller from the Comic books and I'm dying to see this movie. I feel like I'm the only one not to have seen it.

The reviews I have read have been mixed. Mainly they all cite it's visual style as a triumph, but split on the story. The main criticism is the movie doesn't really go beyond the genre... everything sounds like it's a Mickey Spillane novel but without any more depth than that.

I felt this was a flaw in the comic books as well, so I'm not surprised to read the same criticism regarding the movie, given how close the film is to it's source material.

Every review raves about Mickey Rourke... the graphic novel his story comes from was always my favorite of the bunch.

Need to see it so I can comment on it directly.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Sin City

Different strokes. I was really looking forward to this movie, but I thought it was one of the worst things I've seen in ten years. I didn't even make it all the way through. A little more than halfway in, I got up and left. I can't remember the last time I did that.

The though kept going through my head "I'm never going to get this time back." I finally cut my losses by leaving early.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
That's too bad, James. In all honesty, I felt like getting up and leaving somewhere in the movie, maybe within the first 20 minutes or so. I don't know what happened, maybe it grew on me or what, but I know if I hadn't seen the ending (especially just that last 15 seconds) I wouldn't have appreciated it as much.

Still, I commend you for walking out! You're going to have to teach me how to do that. I have to see something the whole way through, even if it's just a rental.

WannabeWriter

Registered
Reaction score
This was not just an enjoyable movie to watch, but also one that gave me further inspiration to write. It's a good story with original dialogue like this that shows how rewarding a good story can be.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Jamesaritchie said:
Different strokes. I was really looking forward to this movie, but I thought it was one of the worst things I've seen in ten years. I didn't even make it all the way through. A little more than halfway in, I got up and left. I can't remember the last time I did that.

The though kept going through my head "I'm never going to get this time back." I finally cut my losses by leaving early.

I have to agree with you. I hated this movie beyond all reason and it wasn't due to the rank subject matter. I like dark films. It was the pointlessness of it. I, regrettably, watched the whole thing. I kept thinking it had to get better. For me, it didn't. I'd pay fifty bucks to un-see it.

Last edited:

Akuma

Rare Writer Pokemon
Registered
Reaction score
My sister walked out of the theater on this movie but I myself loved the movie. I guess she didn't like the seemingly random stories. She didn't even make it to the part with the guy and the dead cop. Sad, I know. For this movie you have to have patience and a strong stomach and it is very rewarding.

Did I mention that Bruce Willis rocks?