PDA

View Full Version : I Am Free

jst5150
04-29-2008, 03:28 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/145/422895344_d8c925ccc0.jpg?v=0

Devil Ledbetter
04-29-2008, 03:50 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/145/422895344_d8c925ccc0.jpg?v=0I know someone who's going to love this. :D

CDarklock
04-29-2008, 04:06 AM
I know someone who's going to love this. :D

Was it me? Because if it was, you were right.

Perks
04-29-2008, 04:35 AM
Stay home and be useless. Keep your kids in the closet. Wear Hefty bags and palm fronds. Act like a complete maniac. Walk down the yellow line. Watch paint dry. Spend every cent as you earn it. Kill, steal, maim, and swindle.

Repeat after me: I am a chronic malcontent, full of complaints, short on solutions. But I have spray paint.

Sarita
04-29-2008, 04:37 AM
But if you repeat after them, aren't you just perpetuating the cycle?

"Don't do what society tells you to do... Do what I tell you to do." :)

Susie
04-29-2008, 04:47 AM
:hooray: for Jason.

jst5150
04-29-2008, 04:53 AM
As the only animal with thumbs and reasoning, it is possible that for the mind to survive (the body follows the prescribed necessity of survival trails), we must tread certain paths. I am entirely certain of many who desire the opportunity to act less on survival instinct and more on those driving voices in their heads that say, "Just once, unexpectedly write the words 'motherfucker' where someone will see them."

That said, the logic of "Pulp Fiction" still does apply:

VINCENT
So if you're quitting the life,
what'll you do?

JULES
That's what I've been sitting here
contemplating. First, I'm gonna
deliver this case to Marsellus.
Then, basically, I'm gonna walk the
earth.

VINCENT
What do you mean, walk the earth?

JULES
You know, like Caine in "KUNG FU."
Just walk from town to town, meet
people, get in adventures.

VINCENT
How long do you intend to walk the
earth?

JULES
Until God puts me where he want me
to be.

VINCENT
What if he never does?

JULES
If it takes forever, I'll wait
forever.

VINCENT
So you decided to be a bum?

JULES
I'll just be Jules, Vincent -- no
more, no less.

VINCENT
No Jules, you're gonna be like
those pieces of shit out there who
beg for change. They walk around
like a bunch of fuckin' zombies,
they sleep in garbage bins, they
eat what I throw away, and dogs
piss on 'em. They got a word for
'em, they're called bums. And
without a job, residence, or legal
tender, that's what you're gonna be
-- a fuckin' bum!

JULES
Look my friend, this is just where
me and you differ --

VINCENT
-- what happened was peculiar -- no
doubt about it -- but it wasn't
water into wine.

JULES
All shapes and sizes, Vince.

VINCENT
Stop fuckin' talkin' like that!

JULES
If you find my answers frightening,
Vincent, you should cease askin'
scary questions.

VINCENT
When did you make this decision --
while you were sitting there eatin'
your muffin?

JULES
Yeah. I was just sitting here
drinking my coffee, eating my
muffin, playin' the incident in my
head, when I had what alcoholics
refer to as a "moment of clarity."

Devil Ledbetter
04-29-2008, 05:10 AM
Stay home and be useless. Keep your kids in the closet. Wear Hefty bags and palm fronds. Act like a complete maniac. Walk down the yellow line. Watch paint dry. Spend every cent as you earn it. Kill, steal, maim, and swindle.

Repeat after me: I am a chronic malcontent, full of complaints, short on solutions. But I have spray paint.Hefty bags and palm fronds!:roll:

benbradley
04-29-2008, 05:19 AM
I'm not free, but in this economy I can be had for pretty cheap.

Perks
04-29-2008, 05:21 AM
I am entirely certain of many who desire the opportunity to act less on survival instinct and more on those driving voices in their heads that say, "Just once, unexpectedly write the words 'motherfucker' where someone will see them."

And do they actually feel better for having written it, or does it, once out there for all to see, resemble anything more than a rude sneeze splatted somewhere inconvenient?

Me? I love my civilization, for the most part. It keeps me in air-conditioning, cold beer, and venues where I can easily write motherfucker for oh, let's see, 21,865 and counting to see. I could even choose from a palette of fonts, but only 'cause I've gone to work, sent my kids to school, dressed a la mode, acted like I have a lick of sense, stayed out of traffic, soaked in some guiding culture, haven't drowned in debt, and kept to an essentially law abiding agenda.

For every thing
Turn, turn, turn
There is a season
Turn, turn, turn
There

CDarklock
04-29-2008, 05:27 AM
And do they actually feel better for having written it, or does it, once out there for all to see, resemble anything more than a rude sneeze splatted somewhere inconvenient?

Depends on your creativity. If you just randomly write "motherfucker" on a bathroom wall somewhere, yeah, it's just pathetic.

But if you manage to get it onto the back of the pope's mitre and keep it there long enough to end up on news footage... ahh, now that has some style. Not necessarily class, but certainly style.

jst5150
04-29-2008, 05:33 AM
Well, not to be too Jungian about this, but, sometimes it feels good to sneeze. The sneeze isn't the end game. It's just what had to be done in order to start alleviating the allergy.

Sarita
04-29-2008, 05:44 AM
Well, not to be too Jungian about this, but, sometimes it feels good to sneeze. The sneeze isn't the end game. It's just what had to be done in order to start alleviating the allergy.And what about those of us who only sneeze in multiples of say, three?

I just thought I'd add this from post secret because it took my breath away.

http://bp1.blogger.com/_a7jkcMVp5Vg/SBTkkmhZJwI/AAAAAAAAEw4/sVMA5bJjYSY/s1600-h/eggpressure.jpg

Williebee
04-29-2008, 05:55 AM
I'm free, but I'm not cheap.

More seriously, one of the most important lessons about feeling/being free came from my Mom: Just because the phone rings doesn't mean you have to answer it.

StephanieFox
04-29-2008, 06:00 AM
If you can't get published as a poet, you can do this.

(It's actually pretty good, tho' a little self-rightous.)

Perks
04-29-2008, 06:24 AM
Well, not to be too Jungian about this, but, sometimes it feels good to sneeze. The sneeze isn't the end game. It's just what had to be done in order to start alleviating the allergy.Sneezing almost always feels good. It's just the slimy mess that you're left staring down that's the drag. So intelligence dictates that you weigh the value of a kleenex.

KTC
04-29-2008, 06:31 AM
What does it all mean? What does it all mean? What does it all mean? What does it all mean?

LIVIN
04-29-2008, 06:55 AM
What does it all mean? What does it all mean? What does it all mean? What does it all mean?

What are you trying to say?

Lyxdeslic
05-02-2008, 12:01 AM

Repeat after me: I am a chronic malcontent, full of complaints, short on solutions. But I have spray paint.Work for yourself and help others in your community, for free. Teach your kids to do the same. Frolic naked and discard your shame. Act however you wish, when the mood strikes. Walk across meadows and mountains, or wherever you desire. Watch birds, the sky, the rain, the rolling wind. Do away with the almighty, worshiped green pieces of paper altogether. Love, give, share, take, kill, steal, maim, and--as it always does--let nature provide the appropriate judgement.

Repeat after me: I truly am free, and no longer feel the need to obey. I finally realize I have a mind of my own, and the current design is flawed.

Unfortunately, the majority will now label me a commie. Equally as unfortunate, many of the said labelers don't understand the definition of communism.

"For every thing, turn, turn, turn..." Indeed. And actually, Perks, I mean no offense. I thought your post was funny as hell.

Lyx

III
05-02-2008, 12:07 AM
To quote the great Bill Cosby, "Well that's fine, but what if you're an asshole?"

Perks
05-02-2008, 12:12 AM
Unfortunately, the majority will now label me a commie. Equally as unfortunate, many of the said labelers don't understand the definition of communism.

"For every thing, turn, turn, turn..." Indeed. And actually, Perks, I mean no offense. I thought your post was funny as hell.

Lyx
None taken! I love the picture you've conjured. In fact, some ideals labeled 'commie' are quite beautiful.

The application is where it can be problematic, as evidenced by one of my favorite jokes:

The Communist Officer is interviewing Comrade Yuri.

Officer: Comrade, if you had ten acres, would you allow five to be cultivated to serve the people?

Yuri: Yes, Comrade. I would.

Officer: Comrade, if you had two houses, would you allow one for the care and comfort of servants of the people?

Yuri: Yes, Comrade. I would.

Officer: Comrade, if you had two mules, would you allow one to work in the service of the people?

Yuri: No, sir. I would not.

Officer: No? Comrade, why not?

Yuri: Because, sir, I have two mules.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-02-2008, 01:44 AM

Repeat after me: I am a chronic malcontent, full of complaints, short on solutions. But I have spray paint.

"And, by God, if I need something - like emergency health care, a free meal, or an officer of the law to protect me from 'free people' bigger than I am - you chained tax-paying trolls better provide it!"

Yeshanu
05-02-2008, 01:56 AM
Work for yourself and help others in your community, for free. Teach your kids to do the same. Frolic naked and discard your shame. Act however you wish, when the mood strikes. Walk across meadows and mountains, or wherever you desire. Watch birds, the sky, the rain, the rolling wind. Do away with the almighty, worshiped green pieces of paper altogether. Love, give, share, take, kill, steal, maim, and--as it always does--let nature provide the appropriate judgement.

Repeat after me: I truly am free, and no longer feel the need to obey. I finally realize I have a mind of my own, and the current design is flawed.

Lyx

I've done all of that (except the frolic naked bit--I'm not, at heart, a nudist), and it has a place.

But I realize that I can't do it all the time. It's kind of like believing you can fly. Gravity will tell you differently.

To everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven... (Which is from Ecclesiastes, and not just for The Byrds)

There's also a time to obey the law, toe the line, and do the expected. And if I choose to find the joy in so doing, then I am as free as when I'm walking through woods and meadows. And that's the irony: If you do everything the original graffitist wrote, you can indeed be as free as someone who chooses to do the opposite. It's all in how you view the situation.

paprikapink
05-02-2008, 02:12 AM
yeah. i actually made an active choice not to reject my cultural heritage. the people who mow their lawns, go to church, watch tv, all that stuff -- those are my people, even tho i don't personally do any of those things. once i learned that we have to respect other cultures ... not calling some "primitive" and others "advanced" ... not thinking western civilization is the only right way ... i realized that i have to respect the culture i'm living in too.

Lyxdeslic
01-24-2009, 10:14 PM
The op reminds me of this image from They Live. Crap movie, but brilliant concept.

http://www.mijit.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/theylive.jpg

writerterri
01-24-2009, 11:49 PM
You old thread digger you.

Not sure why op reminds you of that scene though.

dpaterso
01-25-2009, 12:11 AM
Not sure why op reminds you of that scene though.
In "Rowdy" Roddy Piper's Sci-Fi cult classic THEY LIVE (dir. John Carpenter) aliens control Earth's government and subliminally control almost the entire unsuspecting human population via ad board announcements. Eat. Sleep. Procreate. Be docile sheep.

I'm not sure if Jason's free just yet...

-Derek

writerterri
01-25-2009, 12:27 AM
In "Rowdy" Roddy Piper's Sci-Fi cult classic THEY LIVE (dir. John Carpenter) aliens control Earth's government and subliminally control almost the entire unsuspecting human population via ad board announcements. Eat. Sleep. Procreate. Be docile sheep.

I'm not sure if Jason's free just yet...

-Derek

Right.

OP does not controll me!

sort of.

writerterri
01-26-2009, 04:21 AM
You'll be happy to know that I was just informed that op= original post.

duh.

We can all happily move along now. :D

James81
01-26-2009, 07:29 AM
Repeat after me:

"Would you like fries with that?"

Pagey's_Girl
01-26-2009, 07:46 AM
I feel like I'm free because I chose the direction my life would take. I freely accepted the responsibilities I've taken on, and I fulfill them as best I can. And when something hasn't worked out, I've been free to re-evaluate my choices, learn from my mistakes, and go on from there. So yeah, even though I "have" to work, I was free to choose a career that also worked for me, something I could actually do well and enjoy doing, mostly. I have responsibilities outside of work as well, but I'm free to choose how and when I will fulfill those responsibilities, for the most part. I'm free to choose how I will spend my leisure time. So yes, I do consider myself free, because I'm living a life of my own making, not one that was dictated upon my by someone else.

benbradley
01-26-2009, 09:43 AM
"I am NOT a number! I am a human being!!!" -- Number 6