PDA

View Full Version : Rachael Ray

Captshady
04-29-2008, 01:11 AM
Some hate her, some love her. I'm in the love group myself :)
I used to cook with set recipes that my mother taught me. But after watching R.R. while laid up with an ankle injury, I learned enough that nowadays, I can make a "stoupe" or original burger out of just random ingredients I find in the fridge and/or cabinets, and make marina sauce in a half a dozen different ways. I bought a cookbook of hers, and vowed to make every recipe in it, and did (minus the ones that had ingredients I just didn't like).

So ... Rachael Ray .... love her or hate her?

ChaosTitan
04-29-2008, 01:15 AM
I'll never forget what actress Claudia Christian (Babylon 5) said once about Rachel Ray (and I'm paraphrasing): What she does isn't cooking, it's assembly.

Personally, I like Rachel Ray. Don't love her, don't hate her. I've found some terrific recipes in one of her 30-Minute meals cookbooks. But I can't watch her show anymore, because her hand movements annoy me immensely. I just want to handcuff them behind her back sometimes. :D

SPMiller
04-29-2008, 01:29 AM
I just looked her up on Google Image and I guess I'm a fan ;)

Stew21
04-29-2008, 01:39 AM
Don't love her or hate her. My father loves her. I could do without the "yummo" and "sammies" and "EVOO" stuff that she constantly says during her shows.
I don't hate her cooking ideas, but I consider them just that - ideas. I don't work from recipes very often and if I do, I usually end up changing it to suit me, I see that in her style quite a bit, I just have a hard time watching her show because I really don't like the word "yummo" and think she should just say "olive oil".

Captshady
04-29-2008, 01:40 AM

LOL, and there's that too.

My-Immortal
04-29-2008, 02:07 AM
I like her food ideas/recipes well enough (and do change some of them around to suit my tastes). I occasionally watch her show, but agree that some of the silly language gets a bit much sometimes. <shrugs> I love watching the Food Network too much though. I always end up hungry and in need of a snack...

Take care all -

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-29-2008, 02:35 AM
If she'd just act her age... :)

Upbeat
04-29-2008, 02:35 AM
Some hate her, some love her. I'm in the love group myself :)
I used to cook with set recipes that my mother taught me. But after watching R.R. while laid up with an ankle injury, I learned enough that nowadays, I can make a "stoupe" or original burger out of just random ingredients I find in the fridge and/or cabinets, and make marina sauce in a half a dozen different ways. I bought a cookbook of hers, and vowed to make every recipe in it, and did (minus the ones that had ingredients I just didn't like).

So ... Rachael Ray .... love her or hate her?

I've heard people make fun of her; but I like her off-beat, innovative approach to cooking - most encouraging to those who do little cooking. On the other hand, I also like Alton Brown for some recipes. His is a detailed, totally different, scientific approach.

Bravo
04-29-2008, 02:52 AM
i hate rachel ray with a passion.

giada's my girl.

good looks + hot enthusiastic sounds as she cooks + good food = the greatest cook out there.

Yeshanu
04-29-2008, 04:05 AM
I've got one of her books, and it looks great. Haven't tried it though--I'm not the cook in our family. But I don't watch her show, because I don't watch television. At all. :tongue

Captshady
04-29-2008, 06:04 AM
i hate rachel ray with a passion.

giada's my girl.

good looks + hot enthusiastic sounds as she cooks + good food = the greatest cook out there.

Not to mention close ups of her hand washing carrots, cucumbers, etc. Or the completely unintentional coincidence of her wearing extra low cut stuff whenever she has to smash something, or wisk something really fast ... *sigh*

L M Ashton
04-29-2008, 04:41 PM
Yeah, I don't even know who she is. :D

Alton Brown - huge fan. Emeril Lagasse, huge fan. What's her face in England, Nigella Lawson, fan. Rachel Ray - not even on the radar. I had to Google her to find out who she was. :)

Miguelito
04-30-2008, 04:28 AM
America's Test Kitchen on PBS.

Two words: No egos.

It's totally about the cooking. No celebrities. No audience. Great recipes.

sassandgroove
05-23-2008, 11:51 PM
My husband made the mistake once of saying she was cute. She used to be on right before Good Eats, and so I would catch the end and say, "Hey honey it's that girl you think is HOT!" Turns out her voice and the yummos get on his nerves. HA! He's such an easy target.
I liked $40 a day.

My Faves though are Good Eats with Alton Brown and Everyday Italian with Giada.

stormie
05-23-2008, 11:57 PM
Rachel Ray. My husband stopped watching her. At first he liked her, probably more because she was cute and made what she was cooking look so easy. I showed him several of her recipes that weren't that easy to make. I think she got on his nerves after awhile. Or maybe because she got married. :D

Me? Give me my Joy of Cooking and I'm happy. (Hey, I can be cute and upbeat in the hot kitchen, too! Right.)

Shadow_Ferret
05-24-2008, 12:35 AM
I loved her when she first started on Food Network. Thought she was cute.

Now however, market saturation has set in and I can't stand her any more. She's over-exposed.

Kate Thornton
05-24-2008, 12:57 AM
I don't watch Rachel Ray - I guess her voice is irritating to me.

I loves Alton Brown & Giada, though - and America's Test Kitchen is great - it's really all about the food and utensils (they tested slotted spoons once!)

DWSTXS
05-24-2008, 01:02 AM
Rachel Ray- can't stand her. It's the bass mouth and hand movements that creep me out.

Arisa81
05-24-2008, 09:41 AM
As much as I enjoy watching people cook, she's very annoying.
She's cut back on saying "over the shoulder for luck" (with the salt), but ti doesn't seem to be enough. She tries to be too cutsey in every single show. Now and then, fine. It's just too much with her.

blacbird
05-24-2008, 10:38 AM
Rachael Ray's biggest problem, to me, is just that she doesn't wear very well. But I've adopted a couple of her recipes and find them quite useful. One of my faves is a simple mushroom sautee, which she covers with chopped kale and encloses under a lid in a skillet and lets steam for about four-five minutes with the heat off. Kale is an excellent substitute for spinach in a dish like this because it retains some firmness and doesn't turn into mush. You can also toss in some chopped onion with the mushrooms to good effect.

caw

Kitrianna
05-24-2008, 07:14 PM
I'm in the love her group, but some of you already know that. The hubs used to HATE the whole EVOO thing, but after watching her chefography, he just changed his mind. Now he not only turns her show on for me to watch, but sits down with me. Go figure! But folks, it is possible to convert a hater to a lover, at least as far as Rachel is concerned.

Ken
05-24-2008, 07:23 PM

googled her to see what she looks like.
What a dish! No wonder why her show is so popular.
(Suppose she's talented, too, from what everyone here says.)