Web Site for Each Book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rattus

Registered
Reaction score
Recently I read someone's blog, where they have their own website, and had created a website for their memoir. I was just wondering if a website is required, therefore, for each book you write (which could get quite daunting), or is it best to just have your own author's website? Would a blog for each main protagonist of fictional work help instead of a website?

Any thoughts/comments would be most welcome.

flashgordon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bauuinstitute.com
These days with the free hosting and blogs, I would recommend having an author website, plus one for each of your books. This is especially true if you are going to do some basic SEO and drive traffic accordingly to each appropriate site. It would be hard to get your website ranked for two different books unless they are very similar and you are targeting similar keywords.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
What is the website doing? If you are self-publishing it might be good to have a full website for each book as it will be a major platform. However my goal is the opposite--I want readers who have read one of my books to find about the others. So I want all the books on one site.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
I have an author's website, which I think is quite enough. My press kit and product pages are in the same place, as well as my few little writing sections, excerpts, brags and reviews, and bio. It's not hard to keep track of, as long as your website is easy to negotiate. having said that, I'm still writing in the same series at the moment. Once the second series gets closer to print, I may look at establishing a second site for it. At the moment, however, since the keywords are essentially the same, I find it easier to keep everything all in one place.

acousticgroupie

Registered
Reaction score
Great question! I JUST went through this. My three sites are below. With the last (my most recent book) I just got a domain name for a blog. I link to my books off my main site (also for my copywriting business). I use aplus.net and am pretty satisfied with them!

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Most writers seem to have one website with multiple books. One way you can go is with subdomains, only paying for one host but getting several domain names and creating separate sites, each in its own directory within the main site. Domain names are cheap, and some good hosts don't cost all that much. It does take a wee bit knowhow though.

amber_grosjean

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amberrigbygrosjean.blogspot.com
My hosting company is like that. I have my main website which is my author site with all my books on one. Then I have a subdomain for writing in general. I created that to help other writers get better so they too can become published. There's marketing tips on there as well.

I can pretty much have as many subdomains that I want but having more than these 2 are a handful and would be hard to keep updated. If you write more than one genre like I do, you can always have different pages for each genre. Once I have more books out, I might do that. Until then, they are together keeping links seperated for each book though.

I think an author really does need just one website under his/her pen name. This makes it easier for fans to locate all the books that author wrote. Then those fans can see if they have all those books ordering those they don't have.

Amber

Status
Not open for further replies.