From Novel to Comic Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilesGX

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
If I have a publish novel, how do I ask a publishing comic book studio to adapt it into a Graphic Novel or Comic Book series?

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Comic adaptation is a sub-right that your agent can sell for you, if they can find a Comic Publisher who's interested. Conversely, if your novel is selling well, a Comic Publisher may approach your agent.

But first step first, Miles--you need to write, edit, polish, and submit a novel for publication. Asking about comic rights at this point is putting the cart in the next town over from the horse.

MilesGX

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I'll work on my novel before I get it publish.

MilesGX

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Asking the comic book publisher to adapt the short story series into a comic book series.

Memnon624

A Boy and his Orc . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scottoden.com
IMHO, no comic company is going to adapt anything -- short story or novel -- from an unknown author. If your goal is to have these companies lobby you for permission to adapt your work, then you're first going to have to prove yourself as a bankable entity. You're going to have to sell your work to well-known magazines or publishers, and it's going to have to sell extremely well.

You can ask them all you want, but unless they know your name beforehand all you're going to get is a resounding "no thank you".

Edited to Add: Why not adapt your own work to comics format and submit it to comics publishers through the normal channels?

Best,

Scott

Last edited:

MilesGX

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Do you mean write my finished works into comic book scripts?

MilesGX

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I'm already working on a story, which I plan to adapt it into a manga style comic series. One of the folks on the website of Tokyopop said that if they like the story, they'll publish it.

MilesGX

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Well I'm writing it as a story first to make sure the story goes well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.