• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Cader Publishing, Ltd. / Illiad Press

mammamaia

cader/iliad

run like h**l!...
they're the same company and the first thing you see when their site's home page opens, is 'poetry contest'!!!

just another of the jillions of scam artists who prey on the new writer... any so-called 'publishing' company that has a contest, is a scam... no reputable firm does this...

sorry... love and hugs, maia

ps: i mentor aspiring writers of all breeds all over the world, for free and if you need any further advice or a critical read of your work, you can contact me at: [email protected]

absolutewrite

Re: cader/iliad

Hi Rose,

Just like Poetry.com. Same kind of scammers.

Tish

Writing poetry

i thought that i had won sometning.My friends and family were excited, but every letter they sent was talking about money. I had to pay for my certificate.

sassenach

Contests

I habe to disagree Maia.

A number of reputable houses sponsor contests...Kensington, Dorchester, Harlequin/Silhouette, among others. The difference is they don't ask for $$.:D

Mind Blowing

A Way To Know if A Company Is Legit

Whenever you're not sure about a company, there are lots of ways to check up on something.

Preditors and Editors website is perfect for company information. They will tell you if a company sucks or if it's good. If they don't have a company listed you're looking for, email them and they will get information.

You can always look at manuals that list reputable publishing companies and agencies. If a company isn't listed in any books such as Writers' Market, most times there is a reason why.

Another way is to ask them about their sales and client history right off the bat. If they are reputable, they will happily share the information. If they are not they will think of every excuse in the book as to not tell you anything.

Another way is to see if you can buy one of their books in a bookstore. Go to your local bookstores and see if you can find any books by that company. If you can't, that's a red light right there. Either the company is POD or vanity if the book can't be found. And if the company is POD, ( and you're still interested ) check out websites that list good POD companies against bad and see what you find. May seem like a lot of research but in the end you'll be thankful for it.

Mind Blowing

Left Something Out

About Writer's Market, I didn't mean to imply reputable companies are ALL listed, because a lot aren't. But use Writer's Market as a way to start looking. If a company is good you should be able to find interviews and information on that company via internet. For example, if a publishing company is legit, someone somewhere has done a flattering story on the company. Just try all options.

betjam

was that you

Was that you last night or did I imagine you gave me some advice. It was very good by the way. I came from abuse and at times I lose my self-esteem. But how did you take it off the site. You really are mind blowing. Or I have a huge imagination.
I took the day off & wasn't feeling well so I thought I would send out some querys.
I have writer's market and will do some research first:lol .

Wordkiller

hehehe.

well, I guess I should have read this thread before I submitted anything to them, but the good news is they leave you room to go edit your poems. :lol fools...
so I went in and changed the three legit poems I had submitted to ones complaining about scammers. :hat
I also sent them emails asking that I be removed from the contest and will have to see what happens on that, but if they don't take me off I noticed that the email they use has an auto-respond feature and they also leave room for you to change your email addy so I was thinking I would change my addy on record to their own, causing their own auto responder to keep emailing them in a vicious circle :rollin
I probably won't do it but it is a nice thought.
:evil

SRHowen

Listings in Writers Digest ect

You can always look at manuals that list reputable publishing companies and agencies. If a company isn't listed in any books such as Writers' Market, most times there is a reason why.<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>

I have to speak up here--Writers Market is a wonderful book--but just being listed in there does not mean they are legit. I found many who were scams--asking for editing money ect listed in the no fee section. Those listed are those that responded to the questions WD posed to them. If they lie and scam you, why not lie on their questions?

Do other research other than just assuming that because they are listed in THE BOOK that they are legit.

And there are many good agents ect not listed in the book either. Mines not.

And following policy here--for the doubters, my agent is Mr. Andrew Zack, of The Zack Company, Inc. www.zackcompany.com I am listed under authors there as well as by the title of my most recent work--Medicine Man. Check all you wan
<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

skylar

Re: Contests

As for the comment that reputable contests do not ask for money...

MOST contests ask for entry fees. That does not make them disreputable. Chapbook contests, first novel contests...virtually all of the publishing contests ask for entry fees; it's how they fund the publication and prize money.

Actually, it's contests that are "FREE" (like poetry.com's), but which later make every single entrant a winner and ask them to buy a book, that are more likely to be disreputable.

The questions to ask about a contest are:

(1) Is the entry fee reasonable given the prize money?
(2) Who is judging the contest? What are his or her qualifications?
(3) Is the contest associated with a reputable publication or organization?

pixygirlusa

Illiad Press

Quite a while ago, my daughter wrote a poem and we sent it in to Iliad Press with money for the book called "Outlooks".
I got a letter in the mail, after not hearing a thing from them for over a year, stating that her "outlooks" book is printed and bound and is sitting at the binder. That they are ready to be delivered to them so they can be shipped. However, in order to ship the book to us we have to send them an additional $8.00 payable to Cader Publishing.
It also says that the check will not be deposited until they collect enough money to pay the binder for release of the book. I thought that the money we have already sent was to cover for all this. I am very upset over this and it seems like all they want is more and more money and we may never see that book.

Jo Ann

RealityChuck

Re: Illiad Press

It is common in the small press world for magazines to offer contests with entry fees. The magazines charge a nominal fee per poem (it's usually poetry) and use the money to pay the winners. Anything left over, they keep. Nothing particularly disreputable in that.

However, they don't publish all the entries in a book. Often, there is no separate book -- just a regular issue of the magazine with the winners included. If there is a book, not all entries get in. As often as not the book will be sent to all entrants -- you'll get a poetry anthology for your fee, though your poem may not make the cut for it.

They won't try to sell you anything (other than including a subscription form in any material they send you). If you get a certificate, you don't have to pay for it.

These contests are legitimate enough in the small press world. As a matter of fact, most of the true scams do not charge an entry fee. The "accept" your work, but it doesn't appear anywhere unless you buy a copy of the book.