Vote: Can finalists get critiques?

Is it OK for finalists to get critiques beforehand?

• Yes

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
One of the finalists asked me a good question:

With their weekly challenges, is it OK to get critiques of their entries before they're posted? That is, if they're part of writing groups or have friends who crit their work, can they ask for crits before posting their weekly entries?

I don't mind it, but figured I'd open it up to your vote before I say a definitive yes or no... so...

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Yes to critique

Everyone needs to know how to edit their own work, but there's nothing like getting someone else - almost anyone else - to take a look and give you feedback. You just can't be objective about your own stuff and few writers would submit contest material without some review.

That's me humble opinion, anyway.:)

Alphabet

Aspiring Inspirer
Registered
Reaction score
Welll... American Idol, and the Pop Idol it spun off from had voice coaches helping the contestants prepare for each weeks sing-off. So maybe that means yes...

And if people were entering a mail competition they might get a critique first...

But most competitions require an entry to be 'all your own work' - so where should the line on that one fall?

Ahh haaa... I'm not going to say where my X is going.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
I say YES, because I think that's part of what this board is all about. BUT and it's a big one!!! I think they need to be careful posting what they plan to submit. It could give their competition a heads up, thus a one up. ;)

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Okay, finalists, we're going with "yes."

Yes, you can have works critiqued before posting them-- but please do not have them critiqued on this forum! :)

firehorse

Living the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
Joining in the Fun

I've decided not to read the entries in the "Joining In" thread until after I've posted my entry, for the same reason some agencies won't read your material without a waiver. It's entirely possible that someone else on the board will have come up with a similar idea, and I don't want to be a) unconsciously influenced or b) possibly accused of using someone else's idea. Oh, and c) I'll get even more freaked out if someone has a brilliant premise I hadn't thought of - which is pretty much a guarantee, given the talent here. I'm anxious enough already!

I'm really looking forward to reading that thread, and I'm impressed that so many people have already posted on it.

Cheers,
Sarah

DJP

pounding away at the piano..
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds like a great idea. I think I'll stay away from that thread as well, until I post my entry. Then I'll see all the great ideas out there and wonder, 'Why didn't I think of that?':Shrug: Thank you so much for letting us get crits! Without someone watching out for me, I'd probably end up submitting something like 'Crossroads, crossroads, what about crossroads...' for 2499 words!

Last edited:

firehorse

Living the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
DJP said:
Without someone watching out for me, I'd probably end up submitting something like 'Crossroads, crossroads, what about crossroads...' for 2499 words!
I'm guessing you've seen the Kids in the Hall sketch "The Heavy Pen" ;) "...oh, look, lunch!" :ROFL:

jdkiggins

Troubled-Talks with animals.
Registered
Reaction score
The "Dead Zone" in PA. (The state.) All lit up and
Website
home.comcast.net
:ROFL: a bit of de ja vu. As we chant crossroads,
00000013.gif
crossroads,
00000013.gif
crossroads.

DJP

pounding away at the piano..
Registered
Reaction score
No, sorry, I don't care for kids in the hall, so I haven't seen the part you're talking about. Is it a fatal mistake to admit that here? My husband always says I don't have a sense of humor.:Huh:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
DJP said:
No, sorry, I don't care for kids in the hall, so I haven't seen the part you're talking about. Is it a fatal mistake to admit that here? My husband always says I don't have a sense of humor.:Huh:

Well I for one feel that I do have a sense of humour SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE I don't like Kids in the Hall. It's just another pathetic Canadian attempt at TV. So I too do not know the reference.

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not going to read any of the themed entries, in any of the threads until mine is complete. I'd hate for someone else's idea to start burbling in my subconscious and influence my entry. It would feel like cheating, in a way, to read those before I'm done.

I guess that's just my way of saying if my entry sucks, I have no one to blame but myself :)

I do wonder what the other finalists are cooking up, though. And what happens if one of the entries in the play along thread wows everyone so much they want to vote for it, rather than one of the others? It shall be interesting.

firehorse

Living the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
BlueTexas said:
I'm not going to read any of the themed entries, in any of the threads until mine is complete. I'd hate for someone else's idea to start burbling in my subconscious and influence my entry. It would feel like cheating, in a way, to read those before I'm done.

I guess that's just my way of saying if my entry sucks, I have no one to blame but myself :)
You put that so much more articulately than I did! :Thumbs:

Mr Underhill

Writer,Burglar,Adventurer
Registered
Reaction score
firehorse said:
Without someone watching out for me, I'd probably end up submitting something like 'Crossroads, crossroads, what about crossroads...' for 2499 words!
I'm guessing you've seen the Kids in the Hall sketch "The Heavy Pen" ;) "...oh, look, lunch!" :ROFL:
Obviously you've already read my submission on the "Just for Fun" thread.

Oh wait, I haven't posted it yet!