Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Hey guys!

This seemed like an appropriate place to post this, since I'm trying to reach people who write the most genres possible. I was recently chatting on another writers forum I visit a lot and a new author showed up who's frustrated and depressed. She lives on the island of Cyprus (having grown up in NY) and is trying to write a children's fantasy novel but is having a hard time getting inspiration. There aren't any bookstores where she is and as she puts it:

"...here in Cyprus, their libraries are more poor than our elementary school libraries in Queens where I grew up. No public funding and nobody seems to donate here. Internet is super expensive here too---too expensive for a working stiff, and moving's not an option."

I made the suggestion to her that rather than staying frustrated, I was willing to spend a few bucks to send some of my overflow novels (plus a few of our OWN novels, of course...) to their library as a tax write-off. I checked with our local post office and apparently there's an International Flat Rate box, just like the domestic one. You can stuff in as much as you can---up to four POUNDS of books, and it's only $11.00 to send it to Cyprus, which will take 6-10 days.

Granted it won't take many hardbacks to reach that weight, but I'd imagine that quite a few paperbacks would fit. She said the library carries both, but if they didn't want the paperbacks, they could always sell them to raise money, or give them away to patrons (achieving the same goal!)

How about it? Want YOUR book to be read in Cyprus by people lolling on sandy beaches vacationing or by book-hungry locals? Have some spares on your shelves that need a new home? I'm sure going to send a bunch, and I would LOVE to find out their shelves are BRIMMING with new books in a few months! :D

Address is:

Cyprus State Library
Konstantinou Paleologou Avenue 6A
Nicosia 1011
Cyprus

Who's up to help out a stranded American writer asking for help?

Cathy

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
May, I ask if this can only be books written by ourselfs? I do have a lot of books in my shelfs, that I would like to give away, but they are not written by myself. I would love to help out, from that perspective their library with the books I have, that I don't want anymore. I know a friend who's going back home(cyprus) in July, so I could ask him to take some books back with him. Just checking, whether it can be any books?

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
What a fantastic idea, Cathy. I do have some old paperbacks (but in new shape) sitting around that I could send! :)

Riley

They won't let me be good
Registered
Reaction score
Is she looking exclusively for children's-type books? Or will she take anything? I have a bookshelf stuffed full of books I don't plan on reading again, but none of them are oriented toward children.

I'm afraid I don't have a published novel yet--I'm not that good a writer, but my bookshelf shows a wide interest in genres: non-fiction, military fiction, science fiction, fantasy, poetry, philosophy, humor, medical, (a smidge) erotica, and even some martial arts.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Sure, you can send books even if you're not a writer! I presume they can be any kind. Obviously, they should be in good shape, but the goal is to have lots of books to choose from, which is why I posted here. I tend to have ONE genre on my shelf (since that's what I like to read.) I presume all sorts of genres/categories would be welcome.

If you happen to have children's fantasies, that's what my friend would PREFER to read to get inspiration, but lots of different things can give inspiration. :)

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
Sure, you can send books even if you're not a writer! I presume they can be any kind. Obviously, they should be in good shape, but the goal is to have lots of books to choose from, which is why I posted here. I tend to have ONE genre on my shelf (since that's what I like to read.) I presume all sorts of genres/categories would be welcome.

If you happen to have children's fantasies, that's what my friend would PREFER to read to get inspiration, but lots of different things can give inspiration. :)

Great. :D Luckily, I still have the books I used to read as a child with me. A couple are fantasy, and am happy to send. :) All the other books are of various genres. I had been meaning to sell them, or giving them away but had not yet got round to them yet. This is a great help though, and I would like to send them. I have more than 300 books, I want to give away. I wonder, if that's too much to send. lol :Shrug::roll:

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
I was thinking I should pack most over myself, and give him a few to send on he's travels to Cyprus. I don't want to burden him with all of them. It won't be fair at all.
...I was mostly joking :)

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
Blah...I just thinned out my shelves too. Although I do have a few more I can move out, and probably some rattling around in storage. I will take a look this weekend. Thanks for the info. :)

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in! However, as a former librarian, I would suggest that your friend let the librarians know that they can expect a deluge of books from all over. ;)

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I'm in! However, as a former librarian, I would suggest that your friend let the librarians know that they can expect a deluge of books from all over. ;)

Heh... I did warn her, but she told the librarian that AN American author was going to send some. :D

Would they like to get stuff in Greek? I've been published in Greek...

Sure! According to Google, half of the island speaks Greek (the other half Turkish---so all you TURKISH writers out there... :) )

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I happen to be a BIG fan of children's fantasy! I've got some books to send too.

Hildegarde

A newb in the fog
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nightmarefactory.com
Cathy - our RWA chapter is currently discussing sending some books. As I ship daily for my business, I would like to bring up a few points:

Some further contact information will be helpful when mailing. Specifically, contact name and phone #. If we have an email for the contact person where we can let them know books are on the way this is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. I've had International Express Mail shipments (with phone#, tracking, etc) sit at the local post office w/o the customer knowing to go pick it up. Eventually they will be abandoned (guess someone would still get the books) or sent back.

A customs form will be required. These are very easy to fill out, but to help the library avoid paying high customs duty on their "free" books:

• Make the description "donated used books" and the value something like $1 (not the retail value of the books) - since these are used, not sure what the legalities are here, but I know you must declare a value, even if the item is a gift
  • Mark as "gift" (there should be a checkbox)
NOTE: According to our software, the $11 rate is NOT accurate for a
flat rate box. This is only for an envelope. I am not sure if we
can stuff 4lbs worth of books into a flat rate envelope (it has to
close). Here are the rates I think are accurate:

• Priority Flat Rate Envelope 12.5x9.5 - $11.00 (up to 4 lbs) - I could
    only fit about 6 paperbacks (around 3 lbs) - still a good deal!
  • Priority Flat Rate Box 11x8.5x5.5 - $37.00 (up to 20 lbs)
  • Priority Flat Rate Box Large 12x12x5.5 - $49.95 (up to 20 lbs)
There used to be some cheap surface options (slow), but I think the
post office eliminated them last year :-( Someone please correct if I am wrong or they know some cheaper methods.

Finally, if your contact happens to be military by any chance - PLEASE have her provide her miltary address for us to use (APO, FPO). That way, donations can be sent by domestic priority mail saving a bundle in postage!

Last edited:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I wouldn't be surprised if it's the envelope I was quoted the price on, even though I was GIVEN the box at the window. Sigh... :( But the website seemed pretty clear that it was a box, rather than an envelope. Still, check with your individual postmaster for verification. I don't mind sending for the higher rate. Most of my books are hardback, so they don't fit easily anyway.

Nope. She's not military, so that's out. Pity.

As for contact information, that's all I've got. I've sent her a message about getting a contact name, but it's hit or miss whether she'll notice it since she's not often on the internet (see "too expensive" above.) Depends entirely on when she can get a seat at an internet cafe.

Thanks all, for the rousing support! I really hope this is a big hit with the library!

(Oh, is anyone sending Eragon or the sequel? I don't own it, but it would be good to send if anyone has a spare copy.)

She mentioned her writing resembles C.S. Lewis (Narnia) so if you know any authors to suggest for her in that vein, it would be appreciated. :)

nybx4life

Registered
Reaction score
Umm.........
Well, the thought is that I would like to send some of my work.

Unfortunately, it's never been published, or even printed out to see how it would look like in the end.

Any ideas on how to get over that?

Status
Not open for further replies.