PDA

View Full Version : Agents/Distributors of UK fiction in the US

Bourgeois Nerd
04-26-2008, 11:47 PM
How do you find who someone's US agent is if the person is a British or Irish writer? There are two books I love whose themes resemble the ones in my book. However, I can only find their UK agents in the acknowledgments.

I would like to find who their US agents are. Any clue about how to do this?

Gary Clarke
04-27-2008, 03:01 AM
My agent represents me on both sides of the Atlantic, perhaps this would be the case for those writers too?

CACTUSWENDY
04-27-2008, 03:23 AM
This is just a thought. You might see if you can trace down an email address and send the writers a note asking them. (Also tell them how well you enjoyed their books.)

Toothpaste
04-27-2008, 07:51 AM
Most UK authors have one agent, and that agent might have a sub agent working for them in the States. Personally my deals on both sides of the ocean were handled by my one agency in the UK.

IceCreamEmpress
04-27-2008, 06:59 PM
How do you find who someone's US agent is if the person is a British or Irish writer? There are two books I love whose themes resemble the ones in my book. However, I can only find their UK agents in the acknowledgments.

I would like to find who their US agents are. Any clue about how to do this?

Just to expand a bit on what everyone has said already: this isn't going to be a fruitful way for you to find representation, because either the UK agents represented the books directly to the US market, or the sales were handled by US agencies that had an affiliate relationship with the UK agencies.

In the second case, the sales would have been handled by people whose sole or primary focus is on subrights sales, not by acquiring agents. And it's unlikely, even if those agents are acquiring agents as well, that they have a particular interest or expertise in the particular themes/topics/subgenres you share with these UK authors.

Gary Clarke
04-27-2008, 08:24 PM
But you could try subbing those uk agencies/agents, if your work is simular to work that they rep.

Bourgeois Nerd
04-29-2008, 11:22 AM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I was wondering about the subbing, re: the subrights sales.