Watchmen

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Sorry if there is a thread started on this already. Please just merge if so.

Okay.

So I read the book last week and totally fell in love with it, and now I want to talk about the plans for the movie, because I am now considering myself an obsessive fan even though I read the book 2 decades late and only once.

Well? What are people thinking? I'm pretty confident about what I've been seeing so far. My only concern right now is how young all the actors are who have been cast. To me the book is about middle age, not youth. Well I mean, 40s, which isn't really middle age, but I can't think of a good term to describe that age bracket. But I do love the choices, considering their decision to go with the younger actors. Especially like the choice of Jeffrey Dean Morgan as the Comedian because I love him (okay so I love him from Grey's Anatomy, but say what you will about the show, he was amazing in it).

Anyone else?

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
The screenwriter is the same guy who is or was doing Mann's revised 'Frankie Machine' script, so the writing seems on point (so he says looking at his crystal ball of hope).

Patrick Wilson (Nite Owl) seems absurdly young for the role but he is a very good actor. The guys playing Rorschach, Hollis Mason, and Moloch seem a bit more age appropriate, and Ozymandias always strikes me as a young buck every time I read the book.

Snyder wanted younger actors to ease the flashback scenes. That seems like b.s. to me, but whatever; at least they didn't go with a Dawson's Creek cast like Miller was/is for Justice League.

Be nice if Black Freighter would've made it into the film, but ah well.

Have you seen the character pics released thus far? Pretty badass.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
They are pretty cool, I know some people think they are too slick, but I personally quite like them.

I'm part of this website that is launching on May 1st called Hardcore Nerdity (www.hardcorenerdity.com) and our first podcast is an interview with David Hayter who worked on the screenplay for Watchmen (he also wrote the first two X Men movies). It's pretty cool, and it really sounds like they are sticking very closely with the story.

Forgot to add Billy Crudup as Dr. Manhattan. Good choice. Excellent actor.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I think Jeffrey Dean Morgan is a fanatastic choice, going on voice alone. Have you heard the man speak? I say that's how The Comedian should sound. I'm not too familiar with the other actors, except Billy Crudup...

... but I'm excited as hell about this movie. I hope it turns out half as good as I want it to be.

Oh, and don't worry Toothpaste. I only read it last summer myself. Go check out some of the photos at http://watchmenmovie.warnerbros.com/.

Last edited:

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I had no idea they were making Watchmen into a movie. I read it in the late 80s. I still love it; I think it's one of the best books I've ever read. But wouldn't a movie be, like, twenty hours long?

allen

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Thanks so much for the link! Nevada you should really get your hands on this book. It is so much more than a "superhero movie", or comic book. It is a seminal work of art written by Alan Moore and illustrated by Dave Gibbons, listed in Time magazine as one of the top 100 english novels of the 20th/21st century (well - post 1923). It is the anti-super hero book, and totally amazing. Turning it into a film will be difficult on so many different levels.

For people interested, here is the wiki entry on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmen

An article I wrote for Hardcore Nerdity on it: http://angryrobot.ca/2008/05/06/better-late-than-never-a-newbies-introduction-to-watchmen

And a podcast interviewing David Hayter who worked on the screenplay: http://angryrobot.ca/files/01HCN.mp3

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Explodes!

I JUST READ THIS BOOK.

I litterally blew through it in three hours and...

It sucked.

Just kidding. No, actually, it was one of the best books I've ever read. Now...movie wise...I'm actually REALLY excited. Cause a three hour long movie? FUCK YES!

And I want the Under the Hood documentery so much...not so much with the Tales of the Black Freighter, but still!

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I also remember hearing some rumors that Simon Pegg might have been Roscharch.

Now THAT I'd have wanted to see, just becuase comedic actors are actually way better at doing drama than you'd think and I just...love Simon Pegg.

But this other guy is cool...I have no idea who he is though.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
The library has the book in their adult graphix section. Which I didn't know they had. lol I shall put it on hold and read it.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I got mine from my American lit teacher.

Yes, he's that awesome: He lets his kids do their book reports on Watchmen!

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
it looks like it may be absolutely faboo...

... or totally exploitive of the fans. I've already heard rumblings about changes made to the script that go against the original novel and things coming out that just make my anti-corporate hairs bristle on the back of my neck.

I don't mind seeing a great movie but if I'm going to be forced to buy all and sundry and the merchandizing is out the wazoo...

:(

now if they had put all this work into promoting Speed Racer, well...

:D

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Dun dun dun ...

ComedianFull-thumb.jpg

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Can someone explain to me why Watchmen is so awesome? I've never really 'gotten' Alan Moore... his stuff just doesn't do it for me. I'm a huuuge fan of comics both superhero and not, and I thought Watchmen was all right, but not mind-blowing. I think Dark Knight Returns and Identity Crisis were both far superior.

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
I loved Watchmen, but sort of fear the movie ruining it. It seems like it'd be hard to do it justice in two hours.

Oh, and in case you haven't seen this...

watchpeanuts.jpg

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me why Watchmen is so awesome? I've never really 'gotten' Alan Moore... his stuff just doesn't do it for me. I'm a huuuge fan of comics both superhero and not, and I thought Watchmen was all right, but not mind-blowing. I think Dark Knight Returns and Identity Crisis were both far superior.

Cause it is ^_^

I'm sure there's a better explanation, but that's mine

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Well if you weren't that into it, that's all there is to it. I can explain to you its place in writing history, and how it is a seminal work of art. How it totally redefined the way people looked at superheros. How you'll note not one of the heroes has special powers (except Dr. Manhattan), that the story is more about people, than it is about an adventure. It's dark and poetic (Chapter IV). It's also a story of its time, playing with fears of the cold war. It was one of the first of its kind as well. Like with the Mona Lisa, whom many when they see it don't quite get why it's that famous, it's about its time and place in history just as much as it is about the work itself.

But all that said, if you didn't love it, that's okay too! Not everyone is going to like everything, I am sure even when the book came out there were people who didn't like it. I for one don't love everything Alan Moore has done, that's for sure.

Hope this helps somewhat!

Last edited:

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Identity Crisis? Really? I hated Identity Crisis.

I can see Dark Knight Returns (though I feel about Frank Miller how you seem to feel about Alan Moore), being placed above Watchmen by some.

To be honest, out of Moore's work, I like V for Vendetta more than Watchment, but I also enjoyed Watchmen, for many of the same reasons. The layers, for one. Moore is so meticulous. Every panel counts. Every page counts. Every little thing in the background counts. I tend to find many comics have, unfortunately, little to offer on a second & third reading, but Watchmen is like a DVD with easter eggs. The "Tales of the Black Freighter" comic book within the comic book, the relationship to actual history, the ensemble of interesting, memorable characters, the moral conflicts and ambiguity, the unanswered questions. It covers a spectrum from intimate thought to cosmic consequence.

I just love the layers of it. And that's why I think, while it can be made into a good movie, it can't be made into a really satisfying movie for anyone who loves the graphic novel. Much like V for Vendetta. Which is one thing I love about Moore's best work. It maximizes the medium in such a way that it's almost impossible for an adaptation to do it justice.

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about 95% sure I read somewhere that they're doing the Black Freighter stuff as an extra for the DVD release. I think it's going to be animated, but I wouldn't swear to it.

Slightly off-topic:

I just read a couple of books called Supreme Power in the Marvel MAX series, and loved them about as much as anything else I've read in the genre. I mention it here because I probably wouldn't have noticed them if a buddy of mine hadn't rec'd them to me.

Marvel puts them out, but they're basically a really dark take on the DC mainstays. Superman Hyperion lands on a farm, Jon & Martha adopt him, but the next day the pentagon takes him away and raises him to be a secret weapon. Batman Nighthawk's parents were killed by racist rednecks, and he's not, um, unduly PC in his outlook on race relations. Wonder Woman Zarda would kill you as soon as look at you. And so forth.

If you like Watchmen / Dark Knight / Sandman type stuff I'd highly recommend the Supreme Power series.

Last edited:

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Are these by Ellis or Busiek?

Sunnyside

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brianjayjones.com

Part of what made -- and makes -- Watchmen so wonderful is it uses the comics medium about as perfectly as it can be used. It was incredibly far ahead of it's time in the way it used words and images to tell a story, its use of flashbacks, supportive text materials, and so on. (Even Moore's work on Saga of the Swamp Thing at the time wasn't quite as sophisticated as Watchmen.) I was working in a comics store at the time Watchmen (and Dark Knight, for that matter) was coming out, and I can tell you, there was nothing else being done at the time that was even close. It was unlike anything we'd ever seen.

Watchmen proved comics could be sophisticated and serious -- and for the last 20 years, comics have improved significantly, paving the way for lots of great titles that wouldn't have existed (though there are still countless titles that suffer from overwriting, in the name of trying to look Serious and Sophisiticated) and writers (and readers) who would never have given comics a second look. For the same reason that Peanuts started to appear to lose its sheen in the out years -- namely, it had been so far ahead of its time for so long that when everything else finally caught up to it, it was easy to sneer at Schulz as "having lost it" -- so, too, do some readers look at Watchmen and go, "Meh, it's been done." Well, yes, it has. Over and over again. But still nowhere nearly as well.

Anyway, there are lots of other reasons why Watchmen is so awesome. That's just one of them (though I, too, am partial to the "it just is!" response as well....)

Last edited: