PDA

View Full Version : Swing for the Fences Challenge! BIG Submission for May 08-- Are you Game?

dgiharris
04-26-2008, 08:03 AM
I was browsing through the online 'paying markets' websites, trying to find a home for one of my babies, when I stumbled across a description field that sounded perfect for my piece.

After I read the field, I looked at the Publisher (I know, kinda backwards) and it was one of the Big BIG Dogs of publishing with circulation easily in the millions.

I was about to move on when a little voice inside of my head said, "Give it a shot, what do you have to lose?"

So, I just sent them (don't want to tell you who for fear of jinxing it) two stories.

This really got me thinking. Why not target another major major magazine for next month and send them something.

So, I am laying down the guantlet. Do you have heart enough to have it broken into a million little pieces by one of the Titans of publishing?

The Challenge I propose is simple. You must submit at least one story in May (i.e. must be in the mail or 'ether' by 31 May 08) to someone whose circulation is in the 100,000s or millions.

If you are a novelist, then the challenge is you must submit a query to one of the Big DOGS in the publishing world, a real Jerry McGuire type agency or firm.

Of course, I'm sure many of you may be doing this already. But I suspect there are a few of you out there who were subconsciously limiting yourselves like I was doing.

So My Submission Commitments for May.

1 Newspaper article to one of the big dogs
1 short story to a mag with circulation greater than 500K per year.

Anyways, I'm swinging for the fences come May. :box: :guns:

Who's with me! :e2headban

Lastly, be sure to come back end of May-beginning of Jun to let everyone know how you did and what your experience was like.

Good luck to us all.

Mel...

p.s. Wouldn't it be great if one of us broke through and come September we got some incredible news to share!!!!

CACTUSWENDY
04-26-2008, 08:29 AM
'Swinging for the fences'?

I don't think I have ever heard that term before........

(Would love to know what it means and where it comes from.)

Paichka
04-26-2008, 09:46 AM
It's a baseball term. When you're swinging for the fences, you're trying to hit a homerun.

Sure, I'm in. Where do we find out a mag's circulation? Is that something we can figure out via Duotrope?

Pike
04-26-2008, 09:49 PM
That's the dream, baby! I've got a couple of shorts that I'm trying to finish up and have an eye on BIG markets. You're right - we should all strive to hit a major market. Getting published in a small print mag is no less daunting. They're trying to build up to big dog status and are hoping that one of us newbies will write something out of this world to help propel them. But "swinging for the fence" is crazy talk. It's good crazy talk. I'm in!

Pike

Soccer Mom
04-26-2008, 11:31 PM
Crazy talk? Oh, you know I'm in. I'm going to be querying hard in May.

So I'll do both: submit a short and a query to one of the Big Dogs.

Will Lavender
04-26-2008, 11:56 PM
It's a baseball term. When you're swinging for the fences, you're trying to hit a homerun.

Sure, I'm in. Where do we find out a mag's circulation? Is that something we can figure out via Duotrope?

You could do it the easy way: go to the bookstore and see if the mag/journal is on the shelves. That would, I think, classify them as "big." (Especially if they're on your Borders or B&N shelves. My Borders, for example, has a small section of literary magazines that I imagine are the toughest and biggest dogs in the pack.)

I love the idea. If I weren't trying to finish this %&#$%^ WIP, I'd definitely be in. That mystery/western story idea is really interesting to me, but *&$#$#^% I just don't have the time.

Pike
04-27-2008, 12:27 AM
Ya, it's a little scary, but think of the feeling you'll get when they say, "I like this piece". That gives me the jitters.

Pike

Pike
04-27-2008, 01:36 AM
I get them. It's like when someone you know asks to read your stuff and you're sure they'll come back with that look like you've got a foot growing out of your head and they're being nice, trying not to stare. But as many have said, you'll never know until...

The worst thing that will happen is a rejection. It's all down hill from there. Go for it, Cranky!

Pike

Pike
04-27-2008, 02:14 AM
YES!!! (small nudge - just a wee wittle one ;))

Appalachian Writer
04-27-2008, 02:21 AM
I'm there. I sort of look for the little guy, too. *she swallows hard* Maybe, just maybe, someone will give me a high sign. You reckon?

WendyNYC
04-27-2008, 02:39 AM
I'm in. Ok big dogs, here's your big chance to reject me!

WendyNYC
04-27-2008, 02:43 AM
Probably chew us up and spit us out, but who knows, right?

dgiharris
04-28-2008, 01:47 AM

One way to find the circulation is in the Writer's Market Digest. If the publisher is listed, in the description field they usually put the circulation.

Also, you can google them, type their name and circulation and that usually throws a number up. (Wikiepedia also comes up with the cir. on occasion)

You could do it the easy way: go to the bookstore and see if the mag/journal is on the shelves. That would, I think, classify them as "big." (Especially if they're on your Borders or B&N shelves. My Borders, for example, has a small section of literary magazines that I imagine are the toughest and biggest dogs in the pack.)

that's another way. Anything that you could buy in any bookstore or normal store (i.e. Walmart or convenience store) would easily qualify.

Glad to see i'm not alone. There is a comforting feeling to having fellow crazies joining you in your misadventures.

Let's kick em in the arse. And don't forget to come back here end of May and give a summary on how it went

Mel...

dgiharris
05-02-2008, 08:29 PM
*one bump*

Just in case anyone else wants to commit to the May Challenge. 28 days left :)

WendyNYC
05-02-2008, 08:43 PM
I sent mine off. It looks like I'm in for a long wait, according to Duotrope.

Here's hoping.

dgiharris
05-30-2008, 12:27 PM
So how did I do????

Well, I succeeded in sending a few stories off to the super big dogs.

I submitted an article to the Wall Street Journal, Chicago Tribune, and Dallas Morning News. Well, the article was more of a humor story, but they all rejected them. At least the Wall Street Journal rejection stated they liked the story but it wasn't for them so that made me feel good.

I also sent a humor story to Playboy but they sent me a canned rejection stating they do not consider unsolicited material. Which is a shame becuase I was looking forward to hanging out with Hugh at the mansion. *sigh*

I also submitted to Field and Stream, The New Yorker, and the Christian Science Monitor.

So suffice it to say, I think I met and conquered the May "Swing for the Fences" challenge.

It was fun. Unfortunately, I don't think any of my pieces will be accepted. I give myself a 1 out of 50 chance, but the rejections will be coming in over the next month or so.

I think for the next challenge I need to target a little better and familiarize myself with the mags/newspapers and their guidelines.

Anyways, that is done, off to the next story and challenge.

I'll post the Swing for the Fences Challenge for Jun 08 in a couple of days. Good luck to us all.

Mel...