Agents and trunk novels

Prickly Pear

Registered
Reaction score
I have a wonderful agent. Professional, kind, efficient, patient. And she sold my book very quickly!

My dilemma is this--I have a trunked first novel that I'm debating showing to her. It's quite different from the one she sold, which was adult fiction. This older manuscript is middle grade fiction--which my agent also happens to sell. She knows the middle grade manuscript exists (I mentioned it to her before I signed with her), but she's never asked what it's about and she's never asked to see it.

Part of me wants to show it to her. I think its unusual premise might interest her. On the other hand, I've learned a lot since that first manuscript. I don't want to appear unprofessional, and maybe it's best to save her attention for my next project.

Does anyone have experience with showing old manuscripts to an agent after they've sold something for you? Did anything good come of it?

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
What I'd do in that situation is revise the novel and bring it up to my current professional standards--then show it to her. Or, if she doesn't represent children's and young adult fiction, I'd ask her if she'd be willing to pass it on to a colleague who does.

But that's me. Showing someone a manuscript that you don't feel is ready for publication isn't usually a good idea, though.

Gary Clarke

Knackered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celinekiernan.com
I agree with Ice-cream. If you believe in the novel, work to bring it up to standard, and then query your agent about it. See if she's willing to read it or reccomend you to someone who is.

Edited to say, its not quite the same situation, but my agent asked to see my trunked novel. To my surprise she loved it. We both agree that its a touch unmarketable though, being one of those YA/Adult cross overs in a genre that doesn't sell well, but when we're finished working on our current projects she is keen that we work it through because she believes in it as much as I do! So you never know, your agent may have an idea of how to sell your trunked novel that you would never have thought of :0)

Best of luck with it!

Last edited:

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Ditto to what they said. Re-work and bring up to date. You may have become a better writer now.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
While I say ditto to all the above, let me add the obvious. Your agent most likely thinks highly of you and your talent - after all, you wrote a work that she sold! I can only imagine that s/he would be delighted to learn of and read anything new you present to her.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
It depends on why the novel was trunked in the first place, really. Did it hit the submission trail until it was rejected by all possible sources, including publishers? If not, then was it poor writing or a lack of enthusiasm? Then rework it before you present to the agent. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Tri

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
If I were you, I might run a synopsis by your agent and ask if she would be interested in it if you reworked it. If she says yes, then I'd go back and rework it to your current standard.