the big Friday weigh-in - over 40, you know my pain

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
I have worked out an hour a day, 5 days a week, since around March 25, after gaining 40 pounds in 3 years, from size 2 to size 10, having not really done anything wrong except become a woman in my late 40s. (prior to this I had worked out maybe a half hour 3-4 days a week). I figured, OK, if I work out an hour a day and eat smart and drink lots of water, I have to lose something, right? I divided my exercise into three 20-minute workouts, morning bike, afternoon walk after lunch and nighttime bike after dinner.
Today was the big weigh in. I lost one pound.
The thing is, I LOOK a little thinner because I've toned up so the clothes fit better and I look better in them.
But ... one lousy pound.

My HUSBAND just lost 6 pounds in 2 weeks from doing NOTHING.
Someone out there feels my pain, right?

EriRae

:P
Registered
Reaction score
Hang in there--you're doing your body a great service by exercising an hour a day. So it doesn't show on the scale. So what? You go, girl!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Don't forget you may have gained muscle weight. Muscles weigh more than fat. So you may have lost 5 pounds of fat and gained 4 pounds of muscles. That's hardly a failure at all! You're going to look better and feel better. Keep it up.

Different people are different. I can lose 5 pounds in 3 days by just not eating. I lost over 8 pounds for being sick for a week. But I eat something bad, I see myself ballooning up even if the scale only says 2 pounds. It also depends on your basic body. If your husband is lean already or if he has more muscle mass, he's going to lose weight faster (muscles burn calories faster).

So, keep building those muscles and let them work for you. You will find that you'll lose weight more easily and faster.

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
I have worked out an hour a day, 5 days a week, since around March 25, after gaining 40 pounds in 3 years, from size 2 to size 10, having not really done anything wrong except become a woman in my late 40s. (prior to this I had worked out maybe a half hour 3-4 days a week). I figured, OK, if I work out an hour a day and eat smart and drink lots of water, I have to lose something, right? I divided my exercise into three 20-minute workouts, morning bike, afternoon walk after lunch and nighttime bike after dinner.
The thing is, I LOOK a little thinner because I've toned up so the clothes fit better and I look better in them.
But ... one lousy pound.

Hey... I had the same problem.

I joined Weight Watchers and lost 25 pounds. I went from a size 14 to a size 8.

One tip, because this is what absolutely shocked me when I joined weight watchers. Portion size. Look on the container of the food you are eating and see what it says for portion size. I always ate good food (no fast food, etc.. and make most of my meals from scatch)

For example a serving of pasta is 1/2 C dry measurements. Rice servings are 1/2 C cooked..

We get used to being supersized by restaraunts and think that is the correct portions, but it's not.

Also eat only starches that are high in fiber. It helps..

Good luck

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Don't forget you may have gained muscle weight. Muscles weigh more than fat. So you may have lost 5 pounds of fat and gained 4 pounds of muscles. That's hardly a failure at all! You're going to look better and feel better. Keep it up.

Different people are different. I can lose 5 pounds in 3 days by just not eating. I lost over 8 pounds for being sick for a week. But I eat something bad, I see myself ballooning up even if the scale only says 2 pounds. It also depends on your basic body. If your husband is lean already or if he has more muscle mass, he's going to lose weight faster (muscles burn calories faster).

So, keep building those muscles and let them work for you. You will find that you'll lose weight more easily and faster.

A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat...

What happens is the muscle replaces the fat, and your body is tighter because it is tone.

For example... a pkg of microwave popcorn, weighs the same before it is popped and after it is popped. However after it is popped it appears a lot bulker.

Muscles also burn more calories...

:)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat...

What I mean is by volume. :) But we're saying the same thing. By "toning" we mean that the same pound of muscles is going to take up less space than a pound of fat:

Muscle density is 1.06 g/ml and fat density is (about) 0.9
g/ml. Thus, one liter of muscle would weight 1.06 kg and one liter of
fat would weight 0.9 kg. In other words, muscle is about 18% denses
than fat. This should not be confused with the "energy density" of
muscle and fat, which may be where you got the 3x figure that you
mention in your question.

Meaning, if you lose 1 pound of fat and gained 1 pound of muscle, your size is going to go down by 18%. So by only swapping 1 pound, you're going to see 18% of improvement. And muscles burn about 3x as many calories as fat.

So summary: lost that fat and gain that muscle. Even a 1-pound different is significant. You will be more toned, have more energy, and improve your metabolism (and burn more calories and fat in the future).

Last edited:

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
I'm 50 years old now, and for years I went out every day at lunch and walked 4 miles. No matter how hot, and In Dallas, in the summer, it hits 100-105, I would be out there walking. It's just one hour a day.
(My job allows me to wear shorts, t-shirts tennis shoes etc etc.)

I stopped walking 2 years ago, and gained 25 pounds over that time period.

Now, I'm about to start walking again.

I think that walking is the best exercise one can do. period. Not running. Not jogging. just walking. Just one hour a day.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Actually swimming is the best all-around exercise. It works all the major muscle groups and is excellent cardiovascular activity. It's also good on your joints unlike walking or running.

kct webber

Squirrel, Sekrit type, 1 ea.
Registered
Reaction score
Just be glad you don't have gastroperesis. It's a constant struggle to force myself to keep weight on. Otherwise I look like an Egyptian mummy all the time. :)

What they are saying about muscle weight is right. You should really be more worried about inches than weight.

AmyDoodle

I'm a Bajaffe!
Registered
Reaction score
2nd star to the right and 10 miles west of Sugar T
Website
www.mindovermullis.blogspot.com
I feel your pain. According to the electronic multifunction calculator on the desk, I'm 49. Sometimes I feel like I could exercise all day and I couldn't tell it. Yeah, my clothes fit a little better when I do, but. . .geez. And I started at the size 10.

I tried bellydancing because it seemed like what I was most qualified for--I have the most bellies of anybody I know. The resulting tremor set up a shockwave that took out three skyscrapers, two banks, and a pizza delivery boy on a bicycle.

Last edited:

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Actually swimming is the best all-around exercise. It works all the major muscle groups and is excellent cardiovascular activity. It's also good on your joints unlike walking or running.

This is true. But I am ashamed to say that I can't swim. never learned.
When in water, I sink like a rock.

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score

Yes, I LOVE swimming! I try to go everyday in the summer. My next house is going to have only 4 rooms to form a square, and inside the square is going to be an enclosed indoor pool. I would live out there.

I believe there may be mermaids in my genealogy. :)

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
I think I've actually taken off all over in inches - although you can't measure it yet in full inches - or even half inches - but I definitely look slimmer and my husband and I were shocked when I got on the scale this morning and it showed only a pound less (and the scale's right).
I guess I'm afraid of what I can't control - in part this weight gain has been out of my control. True, I've been more sedentary since when I was skinniner - I work a full time job in which I'm at a desk for 7 hours, whereas four years ago, I didn't - but I don't really eat a lot, maybe 1400 calories a day. A lot of this has just been freakish female body changes. What I'm really afraid of is that the scale will continue to rise and there will be nothing I can do about it. I'm someone who was tipping the scales at close to 200 15 years ago, (and I'm very petite) then dropped a ton of weight - I'd hate to see it all come back.

I used to swim - a lot. I've been thinking of taking it up again.
I appreciate everyone's help.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
The maestro is not only correct in his observations but actually underscored the most important part of building muscle. Muscle enhances metabolism, burns calories faster, and provides support for aging bones that can reduce stress fractures as the years advance. I've stopped worrying about weight, My whole workout is now about getting stronger, (not body building) just making sure that I have muscle. The weight takes care of itself, but from a diet standpoint, I'm a terrible overeater, so now I make sure I only overeat good stuff, NO WHITE BREADS EVER, worst fucking shit you can put in yur body. Gives you nothing.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is true. But I am ashamed to say that I can't swim. never learned.
When in water, I sink like a rock.

Hmm, you should probably stick to walking then. Doing a few laps in the pool if you can't swim will probably not help you live longer and be healthier. :D

One thing that hasn't been mentioned - morphology. Different people respond differently to diets exercise, etc. I could lift weights all day and still never look like the Governator. Your individual metabolism makes a difference, too. Best thing to do is talk it over with your physician and/or a professional to figure out what your goals are - and whether they're realistic for your body - and how to achieve them.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
so now I make sure I only overeat good stuff, NO WHITE BREADS EVER, worst f****** s*** you can put in yur body. Gives you nothing.

So, rat poison would be better than white bread? How about cheesy poofs? Or anti-freeze?

(Sorry - it's my mission in life to leave no over-broad geralization un-mocked. :D)

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
I used to be so dang skinny that it bothered me. Now, at 41, the reverse is true. Oh, I'm told I'm 'normal' sized, but since my accident (destroyed back) I haven't been able to exercise or do the things I like.

That and I don't have the time.

Here's the thing: I lost 9 pounds since April 1. And how, you might ask?

I quit drinking pop. seriously.

DL Hegel

Tigress Tyrant
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not Kirk, Spock, Luke, Flash or Arthur frellin
Website
www.myspace.com
You gained muscle and lost fat. The more muscle the more you weigh. It is not how much you weigh--its how you feel. Part of your workout should be "I look great today!" and believe it. I don't use a scale. They were evented by somebody evil. And they should be beat and forced to eat cottage cheese:) Size 2 is only for models or actors. keep workingout and eating good but don't stress the weight thing. Be happy inside and you are already pretty outside.--hang in there:)

Give me dark chocolate or give me death.

But ... one lousy pound.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Size 2 is only for models or actors.

Again, this is a morphology question. I know a woman who's that size. She's also barely five feet tall. She's not ultra skinny or anything else, it's just her size. She has a TERRIBLE time finding clothes to fit her in US stores and winds up shopping in the Young Miss section or whatever.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
So, rat poison would be better than white bread? How about cheesy poofs? Or anti-freeze?

(Sorry - it's my mission in life to leave no over-broad geralization un-mocked. :D)

Yes rat poison has benefits, anti freeze should only be consumed in the winter. Perferably at your local watering hole....