PDA

View Full Version : I've never had a dog -- help!

Perks
04-25-2008, 03:10 AM
I know I've heard people talk about funny little idiosynchracies their dogs have, along the lines of, "if he wants to eat, he'll spin in circles in the kitchen."

You know, that sort of thing.

What funny things have you seen dogs do to communicate?

ColoradoGuy
04-25-2008, 03:24 AM
Barf in the corner of the room. Wait--you want something cute and funny? Our standard poodle tends to sit on top of my riding boots when he apparently thinks we haven't been out to the horses enough recently.

Perks
04-25-2008, 03:25 AM
Yeah, lets skip the puking and inoportune crap anecdotes. Can't really use those.

But thanks for reminding me why I've never had a dog!

ColoradoGuy
04-25-2008, 03:26 AM
Yeah, lets skip the puking and inoportune crap anecdotes. Can't really use those.

But thanks for reminding me why I've never had a dog!
I said sit on my riding boots--not that other thing.

Siddow
04-25-2008, 03:27 AM
My dog is a total couch-sitter. Sometimes me and the hubby will want to snuggle alone on the sofa and we'll keep the dog off of it (he gets jealous and tries to get between us).

Well, little Sammy (the dog) will go stand at the back door like he needs to go out, just to get my husband to get up. Once the husband is halfway to the door, the dog ducks around him and jumps up on the sofa with me!

So that's just him saying, "I'll get your girl. You just watch." :D

Sandi LeFaucheur
04-25-2008, 03:35 AM
My golden retriever used to keep all his toys in a pile. As soon as someone came in, he'd take their gloves and put them in the pile, too. I guess it was his old retrieving instincts coming out--despite the fact he'd never, ever been hunting. But throw a ball and ask him to retrieve it? Forget it! I'd have to throw the ball, fetch the ball, and put it in his mouth.

He could tell the time, it seemed. Always used to go to the window just before I came home. Actually, my Sheltie used to do the same thing.

Melenka
04-25-2008, 03:44 AM
I have a husky-shepherd mix. She "dances" when she's excited - turns in circles, taps her front feet rapidly, runs across the room and leaps over nothing. It's hysterical. She's also the only dog I've ever had who could catch rabbits easily. The best was when she leaped in the air, hit the ground, did a somersault and came up with a rabbit in her mouth. Of course, she's a bit older now, so mostly she just chases them.

My weimereiner can jump over the end table and clear the back of the couch with almost no running room - and she's only 9 months old. Yeah, we're building a higher fence.

I had a (large!) terrier-shepherd mix who would turn his back to me and huff if I'd been gone too long (more than a day) regardless of how much his caregiver had spoiled him. If I walked around to stand in front of him, he would turn around again, sit and huff. He also had the lovely habit of following on the inside of my first floor apartment anyone walking around the outside, occasionally putting his feet on the window sill to let them know he was still there and watching. He did the whole thing without barking, though he would emit low and ominous growls from time to time. He was civil to everyone but only affectionate to me. Until he met my husband. The fact that my dog instantly took to the man is part of why I married him. Every year, he got Christmas cards from his "fans" around the country. Sometimes I didn't even get cards from those friends! Best dog in the world. He's guarding the piece of my soul he took with him so we can reconnect in the afterlife.

Perks
04-25-2008, 03:46 AM
These are exactly the sorts of things I wanted. Thanks guys! Keep 'em coming!

Jersey Chick
04-25-2008, 03:49 AM
When my shepherd/collie mix Bear was alive, he used to sit on the floor on my side of the bed when I was going to sleep. He'd put his head on the mattress, and wait. Then a paw would come up - and he'd wait some more. Then the other paw came up - another wait. If I didn't say anything, he'd climb into the bed, curl up into a ball at the foot of it, tuck his nose into his tail, and go to sleep. When my husband came to bed, he'd kick the dog out - but as soon as Bear was sure all were sleeping - up he came again.

Then, in the morning, when my husband would get up to leave for work, Bear would wait until he went downstairs, and then stretch out on my husband's side of the bed. Head on the pillow, all stretched and cozy. Did it every morning.

I miss that dog.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-25-2008, 03:52 AM
My older Schnauzer used to sleep cross-wise on the bed between me and Ol' Boy... with her head on HIS pillow and her butt on mine. When she died of lymphoma, we worried that the younger Schnauzer would mourn... but no. She moved right into Maggie's place - head and butt in the same place - and didn't miss her a bit. She was still in last place as far as pack pecking order, but she thought she'd gotten a promotion!

I had a mutt a thousand years ago (I could still cry over losing Rusty if I thought about it long enough) who'd dig forever if I made little birdy peeping sounds into my cupped hands and then tapped 'em on the ground. If I was sad, he'd sit with me and cry. He always seemed to know when Mom wanted to walk to the store... she'd call him and he'd give her the most mischievous look - and run the opposite direction.

sunna
04-25-2008, 03:58 AM
I have an old English sheepdog/border collie cross, and she's easily the weirdest dog I've ever owned. She dances when she wants to go out or just when she's really bored - all four feet get going, and she shakes all over and whips her head back and forth. The more you ask her what she wants, the harder she shakes. She actually fell over a few times.

She also does this thing when we're play-fighting (yes, I wrestle with my dog, so what? :)) - she'll turn rapidly around in very tight circles, then race from one end of the room back to me and do this skidding-to-a-halt play bow where she slaps both front paws down so hard the floor shakes. It's hilarious, unless she doesn't stop in time.

She also smiles - as in with full teeth and a little "nodding" gesture, and only at humans, never other dogs. I've been told it's a submissive thing, but I'm convinced she does it when she's happy to see someone too.

-of course, I'm convinced she's the greatest thing since sliced bread, so that that with a grain of salt. :D

joyce
04-25-2008, 03:58 AM
Oh too many to tell. My female lab howls everytime she hears a siren on T.V. or outside. We figure we can tell how good a movie is going to be if it gets Sarah howling. Then Bear my male lab joins in with his high pitched squeeky voice. It cracks us up because the female sounds like a male and the male sounds like Tinkerbell.

There also will be no romantic evenings in our house with candles. Bear will dance around barking at the flames until we are almost peeing in our pants. He really should get a job at the fire department. I figure I'll be safe if the house goes up in flames between Sarah's howling and Bear snuffing out the flames. One New Years Eve we set off fireworks and he picked up the flaming fireworks and burned all his whiskers off. They fit my household perfectly......insanity rules!

Williebee
04-25-2008, 04:01 AM
You've never had a dog? You've missed out, really.

But, to your question. Dakotah the Wonder Mutt (See picture, left.) was raised, for the most part, by cats. If you rub her tummy she growls. She thinks she's purring. It's a ferocious love, I tell ya!

Thump
04-25-2008, 04:09 AM
My dog's telepathic. He just looks at me insistently and I instinctively know what it is he wants whether it's for me to open a door for him or go play with him downstairs... It's freaky.

Oh, and, if he wants to be petted, he'll get in my face, especially when I'm watching Grey's Anatomy and he smells particularly nasty. It's a good thing he's a small dog, imagine a Great Dane sitting on my face... Ugh.

Linda Adams
04-25-2008, 04:22 AM
We had a very vain minature pinscher (the dog was about the size of a cat) name Bubbles. At one time, we rearranged the rooms so that if you sat on the bed, you could look in the dresser mirror. Bubbles hops on bed, sees reflection in the mirror. We tell her, "It's you! It's you!" Bubbles starts wagging her tail at herself, and every time she looked in that mirror from then on, she would wag her tail at herself.

When I took pictures of her, she would strike a pose for the camera, and then come over to lick the lens.

She desperately wanted to be friends with the cat, even to the point of being like the cat. It was sort of like Garfield and Odie. Cat would be lying on the bed with a "Leave me alone attitude." Dog would come by and want to play and start jumping up and down. "Let's play! Let's play!" Cat would get annoyed and grab dog with both front paws in a headlock and bite her. And Bubbles is furiously wagging her tail. Once, the dog found a bird the cat had caught, brought it into the house and played with it like a cat.

For food, we'd put a bowl on the floor for her and one for our other dog. Because she was afraid the other dog would steal the food, she would growl at the food. When we ate, she would hop up on one of the extra chairs and look through the glass table at us, her face pressed up against the table, watching intently.

Our other dog Snoopy would growl if our parents kissed. Very jealous. He'd take off down the street and come back with a guilty look. We'd ask if he was guilty, and he'd start wagging his tail. He was the crochety sort and didn't do anything unless there was a reason for it.

sheadakota
04-25-2008, 05:16 AM
I have a boxer/ something mix, that we call the comma dog. when she wants attention she curls herself in the shape of a comma(while standing) and wags her little stump of a tail- if you ignore her she will walk in front of you like that until you pet her.

My chocolate lab 'talks' to you- I swear- I know exactly what he's telling me, he has different vocalizations for 'my water dish is empty' or "Yes, I really do have to go out now!"

My husky/ mix Bear (gone a year this August) used to rest his head on the bed and- well watch- we tried locking him out, but then he would, ummm, howl- you got used to the voyarism after awhile.

RumpleTumbler
04-25-2008, 05:25 AM
Whoooooooooo Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

That means I'd like to play.

czjaba
04-25-2008, 05:30 AM
Ooh, I've got lots of fuzzy baby stories. Sometimes in the morning when Hubby gets up quietly and goes to work,Molly, a overgrown yellow lab, who usually sleeps on the floor, eases herself in the bed and wakes me up with her snoring. She literally puts her head on his pillow and goes to sleep.
Our oldest, Sidney is a pomeranian, who will snip (it's not a full bark, nor a growl, but something in between) when she is ready for us to go to bed. We can ask her 'You want to pee-pee?' and if she walks in circles, she wants to go outside, but if she don't want to go outside we can stand up and before we get there, she is fixing her spot on my pillow. She also understands 2 languages and we can make her bark really loud and then start with 'ssshhhh' and she ends up in a low growl.
And then we have Barney, a half chihuaha-half pekingnese (sp?) is just a Mama's boy. He is on my lap the minute I sit down.
After 8pm, when the kids are in bed, no one is allowed to bark. I don't know how they learned this, but they all just go to the door.

CACTUSWENDY
04-25-2008, 06:02 AM
Had a golden colored that looked alot like this one.

http://www.wagnbrag.com/assets/petfun/Groups/D/C/9/E/DC9EB5E3-4237-4CD5-95D9-4401266EF26F/Images/20080208114218/groupProfileImage.jpg Her name was Shalimar

I taught her how to count, spell, fetch, and tons of other things. Her love and loyality was more then anyone could ever ask for.

I had a list of things I would say when she would come sit at my feet and look up at me. (Her sign she wanted something.)
The list:
Do you want something to eat?
Do you need some water?
Do you want to go outside?
Do you want to go bye bye?
Do you want to go B y e B y e? (Spelling it out.)
Do you want to take a bath?
Do you want to go nite nite?
Do you want to play?
Do you want.....(then would throw in something really dumb..like read a book?)

I never said them in the same order and most of the time I already knew what she wanted, so I would put that towards the end of the list. When I got to the one she wanted she would stand up and wag that tail and get all excited.

Sometimes she would be laying on the floor close to me and we would make eye contact and if I smiled at her....she would know it was okay to jump up and sit next to me. If I didn't smile...she knew to stay on the floor.

I could place a doggie treat on her nose and she would not move until I told her 'okay', then she would flip it up a bit and grab it in mid air.

When my husband would get out of bed in the morning and go into the bathroom she would move up from the end of the bed and get all snuggled into his pillow and go right back to sleep.

She loved to take a bath and get the blow dry/brush out when done, then would prance around like she owned the place knowing she was the best looking dog around.

In the car, her place was on the center consoul sitting all nice and neat and she paid great attention to the passing sights. She knew when we were heading home and within a few houses would start with the wagging of the tail.

When working in the yard she would be right at my side and if i was planting things she would help me dig the holes. At Christmas she waited for her presents and would open them with great joy when the word was given to her to go ahead. She never bothered anyone elses gifts, or messed with them when they were under the tree.

When the first grand baby came along she was very interested and caring for the baby. When the baby would wake up she would come running and get one of us.

When she died.....I felt I had lost a great friend, a member of the family....one of my own kids. It was hard.

More information then you probably wanted...sorry.....

Melenka
04-25-2008, 06:24 AM
Cactus Wendy, you reminded me of my brother in law's dog, Sandy. He was a pound dog, rescued from a street pack, mangy as hell until they cleaned him up - and then he was a fluffy, gold, shepherd mix. Smartest dog I've ever known. He not only knew 39 different commands, he learned to spell. We couldn't spell walk or car or ride or woods without him racing to the door and back. He learned to close the door behind him when he pushed it open; he'd hit it with one paw, then the other, then lean on it until it latched. Someone tried to steal him once. He came home two days later with a new collar and a piece of cloth in his teeth. I've always wondered what the other guy looked like...

joyce
04-25-2008, 07:15 AM
It's amazing just how smart dogs are. They sure know how to train us real well. For the past 20 years I've owned labs and now one pit mix and I'm always amazed at what they know. I talk to my dogs like they are human and I swear they understand. As stated earlier, I feel like there is this ESP connection where most of the time words aren't even needed. Now that my daughter is off to college they've taken her missing spot and are spoiled rotten.

A. Hamilton
04-25-2008, 07:26 AM
you've never had a dog? no wonder you're so #$@&!! delicate :D
my old lab/chow mix, Stella, will thump her tail on the ground when she hears her name called-it's a good way to know if she's in or out, I just say her name, and she thumps. she's also extremely ticklish and will laugh when her pitts are poked.
Stanley, the dachshund, will jump in the middle of any kind of horseplay amongst the kids, barking and jumping and playing along. it's rather annoying. he will also nudge his food bowl if it is empty, until it flips over and makes a sound to get our attention.

Appalachian Writer
04-25-2008, 07:39 AM
When I was a kid, I had a little Toy Manchester named "Chopper." He was obsessed with fetching. He'd bring his toys, balls, rocks, sticks, walnuts, and sometimes what looked like large pieces of lumber. If it could be thrown, he'd go get it. He also spoke fluent English. As a child, I used to pick wild strawberries and sell them for some extra cash. Once I was in a berry field when another child known only as Junior showed up. I wanted ALL the berries, so I looked down at Chopper, loyally sitting by my side, and said, "Chopper, Junior's trying to steal my berries. Do something about it." Before I could blink, Chopper dashed at the boy, growling and snarling like a Doberman. The last I saw of Junior, he'd just leaped across the fence and was running toward his house. Chopper returned, looking very smug, and resumed his position. What a dog! He died at the age of 14, fighting over some bitch.

Mr Flibble
04-25-2008, 01:32 PM
Awww I love reading doggie stories!

I've got a collie/spaniel cross that we got from a rescue centre when he was a pup. He's smart, but possibly the daftest dog I've ever met. You could probably pull all his legs off and he'd just sit there with that 'love me' face on.

When anyone comes to the door he barks like crazy. If they come in, he 'talks' to them, kind of a mix between a growl and a howl, until they make a fuss of him.

He gets jealous if me and the Old Man have a hug and tries to get in on the act.

At dinner time he sits with his head in my daughter's lap, just in case she drops a pea or something. Dropped food never makes it to the floor.

At the beach he'll bark at you to throw a stone. You throw it, he runs about fifteen feet, doesn't even try and get the stone, then runs back and barks again 'throw another one!' He'll do that all day.

He's petrified of the cats. When we first brought him home he tried to play with them. They legged it out of the back door, so he thought they were playing chase....He even fights like a cat -- another dog tried to have a go at him, he copied what the cats do to him, and swiped it across the nose.

He's very protective of the kids. Other dogs are not allowed too close unless he knows them, and if my son gets too far ahead on his bike, he gets upset and tries to round him up.

Puma
04-25-2008, 02:18 PM
Communication - We had a husky type mix who was very protective of me. If he thought I might be in danger, he'd grab my wrist and pull me away from whatever the source of his concern was. When our daughter was born he camped out under her crib for days and would run downstairs to get me (by grabbing my wrist) if he thought she needed something. He also knew the words for things he liked to do and we had to start spelling some of them if we didn't want him to get too excited in advance (like go for a ride).

Our daughter's dog "talks" almost constantly. She'll put her head on one of our laps and make "talking" noises. If you ask her what's wrong she says "Ay-un-o" (I don't know - our daughter's done a lot of prompting on that).

Our current two, water spaniel mix and English setter mix, drive us bonkers when there are sirens. They don't start howling until after the siren is past our house and then they start and goad each other on - if one stops, the other starts back up. I swear they'd go on complaining to each other until they were hoarse if we didn't stop them. Puma

Sandi LeFaucheur
04-25-2008, 02:22 PM
Our shetland sheepdog used to herd us, as his ancestors did sheep. If my sister and I were in our rooms doing our homework, he'd nip behind our heels until we were in the livingroom and then sit in the middle of his flock.

KTC
04-25-2008, 02:47 PM
lol... Sandi, I have a friend with one of those! Her dog tries desperately to herd the trees in the front yard. They never huddle together, but that lovely pup never stops trying.

heyjude
04-25-2008, 05:12 PM
What sweet stories!

Our baby came to us beaten, neglected, and starved. He used to take food and toys and hide them under his pillow. I guess he thought they'd be taken away from him. The behavior gradually stopped and he never does it any more. Oddly, he really doesn't have any quirks. He's just a sweet, happy, old dog.

lakotagirl
04-25-2008, 05:39 PM
Tori was a 6 month old, neglected black lab when we got her 14 years ago. We already had a one year old black lab (Molly).

Molly took Tori under her wing and showed her the ropes.

Tori was afraid to bark (we think she got beat for it in her first home). Since Molly had different barks for different needs, she became Tori's bark.

We would watch Tori go to Molly and stick her nose in Molly's ear. Molly would get up and go to the door and bark. (Tori had to pee)

We would watch Tori go to Molly and stick her nose in Molly's ear. Molly would get up and bark that it was time for a treat.

Sometimes we would watch Tori go stick her nose in Molly's ear and Molly would bark like there was someone at the door. We think it was a joke that Tori was playing on Molly.

We lost Molly last year. She had a good life.

Tori is fourteen now and doesn't have too much longer. She still doesn't bark. It can be a bitch to figure out what she wants. She just sits in front of you and gives you the labrador eyes. We usually end of going through the gambit until her eyes spark.

Do you want to go outside? No spark.
Do you want some medicine? No spark.
Do you want a treat. SPARK!
Time to go get Tori a treat.

KrishnaJewel
04-25-2008, 05:50 PM
When I was a teenager my friend had a golden retriever who use to have a 'baby', she had a rag doll she would take with her around the house. If she decide to lay down, she would go get her baby and cuddle with it. She also use to carry rocks around in her mouth when she was outside. When she would come inside, you would have to stop her at the door and look to see if she was carrying a rock, if so tell her 'Drop It' and she would so you could put it back outside. If you forgot, she would end up making piles of rocks in the living room..lol.

I have a friend who has a Great Perinese (sp). This dog has a strong herding instinct. If her two daughters are both in the back garden, the dog will try to herd them into a corner. It does the same thing with cats. Then will sit and watch with pride and wait for someone to come praise her...lol. As a result, one of the two cats they had ran away.

Before I came into the picture, Harley (westie) was on the scene. I had to train him to sleep in his own bed so I could sleep in the bed as he had become use to jumping up on the bed, nosing his way under the covers, turning around and then laying down on the empty pillow - so that he was in bed like a person...lol.

When Harley is annoyed, he grumbles like an old man.

He loves cats, he treats them like they are a cross between the queen and a baby. If he and the cat are both trying to come inside at the same time, he will step back and let her go first. He does this for any cat. He also grooms the cat, he gently nibs her all over as a cat does when they are grooming themselves and find a knot in their fur. The vet said he had never seen any thing like it in his 30 years.

Tink
04-25-2008, 06:01 PM
I know I've heard people talk about funny little idiosynchracies their dogs have, along the lines of, "if he wants to eat, he'll spin in circles in the kitchen."

You know, that sort of thing.

I have a miniture pincher/pom. mix and when his food bowl is empty (rather he's hungry or not) he scratches the bottom of his food bowl with both paws at the speed of light (metaphorically speaking) until I put some food in it...he cannot stand for it to be empty.
I also had a little dog that lived to be 18 in human years. She was an exceptionally smart dog. Once, my neice (a toddler @ the time) darted out into the road and Hushpuppy (my dog's name :D) ran after her and latched onto her diaper by her teeth and hauled my neice right back into the yard. It was pretty amazing. Hushpuppy also had a fetish for baby foolers so I bought her on puppy-size fooler and she never went anywhere w/out it for years. She was about 10 yrs. old before she gave up the fooler sucking.

Perks
04-25-2008, 06:29 PM
Thanks guys! These are getting me thinking and I'm also just enjoying reading them. I really like dog personalitites, I've just never had one.

I don't like (in this order) slobber, pee stains, cleaning up alien puke - wait I don't like cleaning up domestic puke either - and hair all over the place.

Other than that, I love the thought of dog smiles and dog weirdness and dog instincts around for company and protection.

Obviously, I'm a scattered soul.

TerzaRima
04-25-2008, 06:40 PM
My sister's standard poodle, Argus, is pretty possessive of her. I've seen him sidle up to to lift his leg and urinate on her when a male dog approaches her for attention. "She's my mom!" Not all that cute. But funny? Comedy gold at family dinners.

Our small nondescript mutt Tonks will hide under the bed when I say, "Time to give the D-O-G a B-A-T-H."

Our large main dog is mostly basset hound and thus is pretty concrete in her thinking. Her main cute thing is making big sorrowful eyes at people, but my guess is she's always thinking the same thing, which is " ".

sunna
04-25-2008, 06:41 PM
The clean-up does suck. So does being woken at 2 am by frantic barking at nothing, or having 75 lbs of four-legged enthusiasm land on your bladder at 6:30 in the morning. Pee eventually only happens outdoors. Slobber is, well, just a fact of life.

But oh, it's so worth it. :D

Siddow
04-25-2008, 06:48 PM
Tink's story reminded me of a friend's dog when I was a child. It was a Newfoundland, and if you know this breed, it looks like a freaking bear, especially if you're five years old. Her name was Sonya. We were all out for a walk (my mother, me, my bro, the dog's owner and her two sons, and of course, Sonya) and another dog came tearing out its yard toward us, barking like crazy. Well, Sonya just calmly bit down on the other dog's back and FLUNG it...that poor dog went flying across the road and back into its yard where it hit a tree and slumped to the ground. Sonya just went back to leading us down the road, like it was nothing.

(The other dog ended up being okay except for a few puncture wounds on its back.)

jst5150
04-25-2008, 06:58 PM
Sometimes we'll a little dance in our boxer shorts, make the gut jiggle a little and wave our arms over our shoulders. In our heads we're Chippendales dancers ...

OH.

Canines.

My chow chow used to use her muzzle and softly butt me on the head when she wanted to go outside and download.

DWSTXS
04-25-2008, 07:12 PM
Haven't had a pup in years, but I do have 2 cats.

One of them, Munchie, will go sit on the kitchen counter next to the fridge and meow and meow until I come open up the freezer, and then he will step up onto the refrigerator door ledge and sit there, facing into the freezer. If there is nothing inside the freezer, he will crawl in and lay down.

Tink
04-25-2008, 07:13 PM
Thanks guys! These are getting me thinking and I'm also just enjoying reading them. I really like dog personalitites, I've just never had one.

I don't like (in this order) slobber, pee stains, cleaning up alien puke - wait I don't like cleaning up domestic puke either - and hair all over the place.

Other than that, I love the thought of dog smiles and dog weirdness and dog instincts around for company and protection.

Obviously, I'm a scattered soul.
some things about dogs are very (what's the word I am looking for here) okay, got it--Gross but they are so da#$^& loveble that I can't help from having one around.
i have never had any two-legged little pukers but I have had plenty of four legged ones.
Oh, yeah, I forgot...they are very loyal.
I had a beautiful chow (aka registered-Blue) and he let me know about people's characters. I was recently divorced and had just started the singles scene again when a date came by to pick me up, I wasn't quite ready as he'd arrived early and I invited him to sit for awhile while I finished up putting each stray hair into place ( you-no-what-i-mean) when suddenly I heard my dog growling low and deep and the man was whispering,"Get the dog, please, get the dog." I ran to the living room and my chow had him pinned to the sofa with his huge paws on the mans shoulders with his sharp front fangs only inches from the man's petrified face...needless-to-say, that relationship lasted about as long as that evening. Dogs seem to have a sense about people that most of us mere humans can't pick up on.

DWSTXS
04-25-2008, 07:31 PM
My brother lived on a farm. He had an Australian shepherd, and a malamute. He kept the Malamute chained up on a 20ft cable, in his airplane hangar and let the aussie run free.

The aussie would go to a farm next door, and herd a chicken out of their yard, through a small opening in the fence, then he would herd it around the corner into the open hangar area where the Malamute would kill it, and they would both eat it.

One day, the aussie went to the other neighbors farm and did the same with a goat.

When my brother got home that day he found the the two dogs feasting on goat.
He had to pay his neighbor $85 for the goat!

WendyNYC
04-25-2008, 07:57 PM
Truman, being a bulldog, loves to play "tug." If no one is willing to play the same game yet again with him, he will go to the rope swing in our backyard and play by himself. He literally swings in the air on it, holding the rope by his teeth, little legs flailing about.

I guess he's communicating "Harumph. Who needs you people?"

Soccer Mom
04-25-2008, 08:44 PM
One of my dogs, Bear, likes to play on the play equipment with my kids. He climbs up the rock wall and goes into the tree fort with them. He also likes to go down the slide and tries to climb up into my son's lap while he is swinging. Have I mentioned that he's 100 pounds? :D

Tsu Dho Nimh
04-25-2008, 09:51 PM
Various dogs:

Hates peas, and will lick the gravy off them and leave them piled at the side of a bowl of scraps.
Nudge the leash, then look at me, tail wagging gently, to remind me it's time for a walk to get mail.

Chesapeake Retrievre who HATES the kitten, and will lure it within reach by wagging his tail gently, then when the kitten attacks the tail and is clinging to it, wags his tail real hard and pounds the kitten on the floor a few times.

justme
04-25-2008, 09:59 PM
My Chihuahua has his own little language. He's speaking as I type.
I don't understand him, but he seems to think I can. It's kind of a grunting noise. Both of my Chihuahuas will only eat if I hand feed them. I know I've spoiled them.:Shrug:

StephanieFox
04-25-2008, 10:25 PM
Maybull, our 60 lb. English Bulldog, is much more interested in people than anything else. Given the choice between a treat and a rub-down from a person, she'll chose the rub.

When we're out walking her, either on or off leash, she will often veer into the path of people coming in the other direction and then lean into them, forcing them to pet her. If you ignore her, she'll punch you (hard) in the leg.

This doesn't happen often. She's so adorable that most people are flattered.

She also is able to sense a gloomy, rainy day. If the weather is gloomy, she'll sleep in, not getting up, even to have food or to go outside, until late afternoon. If we go to wake her up, she makes loud, grumbling noises.

Bulldogs don't bark much, but they use other noises to communicate; snore, snort, pllllt, sigh, niiiiiih, arouum, ehhhhn, oreou, and others. She has lots of noises.

Izunya
04-25-2008, 10:51 PM
Let's see. Foxie was a chow mix who showed up one day. We're pretty sure she had a hard life before coming to us; for one thing, half her tail was missing. At some point, someone had tried to train her not to bark, so when she was inside, she tried to bark with her mouth closed. Imagine a dog going, "Mff! Mff!" when she sees the mailman, and you're pretty close.

We're pretty sure she had never been inside before we had her, and she really freaked out the first time she encountered linoleum. Either she thought it was slipperier than it is, or the sound of her own toenails freaked her out. We're not quite sure.

She loved swimming in the lake, but hated baths. There was actually a good reason for it. As a half-chow, she had lo-o-o-ots of fur. When she swam, most of it stayed dry. With a bath--well, the point was to make her smell less interesting, so we had to soak her to the skin. To give you an example of how thick a chow chow's fur is: another dog once attacked Foxie and went for her neck. Foxie stood there looking at her---"What are you doing? Are you trying to play? Is this some strange native ritual?"---because the other dog couldn't hurt her through her mane. (Which was lucky. Chows, even half-chows, have impressive biting power and hair-trigger reflexes.)

She was afraid of men wearing baseball caps, smokers, and anything that sounded like gunfire. We're not sure if that has anything to do with the missing half of her tail, but I wouldn't be surprised.

She didn't like carrots. She'd get little "people-food" treats, a spoonful of sauce in her bowl after we were finished eating. If there were carrots, she'd lick them clean and spit them into a little pile. She once stole a duck egg and brought it back unbroken and still alive; I could feel the heartbeat. We cleaned it off and returned it.

My mom's current dog, Skipper, is probably part Blue Heeler---an Australian cattle dog. He firmly believes he's a working dog; he's just not entirely sure what that work is. It's either herding cats (doesn't work, but he's an optimist) or protecting my mother from the blender. He speaks a highly inflected dialect of Dog, to the point where he seems to be singing entire sentences at you. He also gets outside the fence every Tuesday. I'm going to be staying over this coming Tuesday to see how he does it, because we haven't figured it out yet. We already know why: Tuesday is trash and recycle day.

Hope those are useful.

Izunya

Perks
04-26-2008, 12:25 AM
You guys are wonderful. So many times your stories and anecdotes have put me in the right frame of mind to power through a scene with a clear picture in my head. If I could, I'd kiss you all until you fell down chapped and dehydrated.

Elaine Margarett
04-26-2008, 03:32 AM
Apparently, I sleep with my mouth open. One of my dogs would wake me up if she needed to go out in the middle of the night by sticking her nose in my mouth. Dog noses are very sponge-like; a totally weird way to come to. :-/

KTC
04-26-2008, 03:40 AM
My France will bring me one of her blankets when she wants to play-fight. She will bring it right up to me with her tail wagging so hard her whole body is shaking... and she starts sqawk-crying getting really excited. So adorable. If she just wants to be loved and pet, she will bring me one of her toys. I think it's because I get the blanket from her and spread it out and let it fall over top of her... she loves that... being covered in the blanket. You know, kids love that too... especially outside in the summer lying on the grass... they like the way the sun shines through the darkness. Maybe that's what France loves about the blanket coming down over. But then we fight... she's a very funny fighter.

Smiling Ted
04-26-2008, 04:42 AM
My friend had a Neopolitan mastiff (named Neo, of course) who was a total Hollywood dog. New people who made a big fuss over her and tried too hard to be her friends were forever relegated to the bottom of her mental pack; those who ignored her at the first meeting (like myself...I've always been wary of mastiffs and fighting dogs) became part of her inner circle.

Neo would plop herself down directly between the TV set and the viewer whose attention she wanted most. She made a point of gooing up your good pants with drool and nose phlegm.

I miss her.

DonnaDuck
04-26-2008, 04:58 AM
Well, since we can't mention any kind of peeing incidents, my dog will slime his way onto your lap. He's a 12 pound MinPin and perfectly capable of jumping onto the counter let alone a person's lap but if you're sitting in a chair at the table, he'll weasel between your legs and kind of arch his back over your leg, using his back muscles to get up, eventually catching his feet on your legs for leverage. It's the funniest thing to see.

Cathy C
04-26-2008, 05:57 AM
"All you fluffies belong to us."

We still have one old dog who is a fluffy toy FANATIC. She prefers the ones with squeakers inside, but anything that vaguely resembles what SHE considers a "fluffy" is fair game to be gathered into "her" corner of the bedroom. This includes small pillows, dish towels, padded placemats, etc. :ROFL: I just thank the heavens that she can't stand on her hind legs anymore. Things on the countertop are FINALLY safe.

DonnaDuck
04-26-2008, 07:11 PM
And just to add about the drool, I've never had to deal with it. MinPins don't drool and the only time mine does is when he has an ice cube in his mouth.

Oh, he sleeps in the bed with me as well and when I get in, I put his toys on the floor. When I do that, he promptly jumps down and retrieves them. He can't sleep with any less than two toys on the bed at a time. Thankfully they're small! And he likes digging at my feet while they're under the blanket. And he likes to wake me up by stepping on my throat. Lovely way to wake up. Thankfully he's only 12 pounds. There'd be issues if he were heavier.

aonarach
04-27-2008, 11:12 PM
my big dunder-dog Franklin tries to get everything and everyone to chase him. other dogs, children, perfect strangers. he runs up, puppy bows, then turns and runs away...but will stop and look back to see if he's being chased. he will repeat this endlessly until someone takes the bait. and once he's being chased, he never wants to stop. the 110 mutt sounds like a stampeding horse, round and round the couch.

Squishy, the pretty princess cocker spaniel, poses when he spots a camera. if we point the camera at anything but him, he starts jumping at our legs, or if we happen to be low enough, our faces. also, if he thinks his "brother" Franklin is playing too rough (he's really a gentle giant) with any of the nieces/nephews or me, Squishy leaps up and paws at his face.

aonarach
04-27-2008, 11:17 PM
oh, and here's a funny story about the dunder-dog: he was running into a lake then back to the beach for about 20 mins. then we walked him out to the end of a boat dock. the water level was very high, almost level with the boards. he put one paw in, apparently to see if he could touch the bottom like he had been able when running from the beach. then he tried with both front paws and TA DA! sommersaulted head first right into the lake. he surfaced a second later, horrified, and we had to pull him back onto the dock. seeing franklin was getting all the attention, squishy proceeded to the other side of the dock and pushed his ball into the water. of course, he has no interest in getting wet, so we had to fish that out next.

ACEnders
04-28-2008, 06:11 PM
Let's see...for some reason once in awhile Teddy will run like crazy around in circles and through the house. He's a big, 90-some odd pound golden retriever, so it's nothing graceful.

When he's ready to come inside he'll jump up on all fours. and he jumps high! It cracks me up every time.

He totally gets jealous when my husband and I are snuggling or cuddling or kissing. He'll try to nose his way between us or stand in front of us, looking from one to the other, wagging his tail and whining.

He whines. He's a total whiner.

When he's thirsty, he noses his water dish all the way across the kitchen until we get the point.

If I think of anything else funny, I'll let you know

randomsome1
04-30-2008, 03:59 AM
My husky/shepherd mix hated people having physical contact. I'd hug my boyfriend and he'd freak out, run in circles, make wookie noises, and then bite whoever was closest in the butt. He's gotten better now but continues to make wookie noises. He also knows "Superstar"--he sits on his hind legs and throws his front paws up in the air--and how to say hello.

My pit/boxer mix ignores us when she doesn't want to listen--like if we want her to go outside, stop eating the garden, get off the couch, so forth. But if we ignore her . . . She likes to sleep under the covers in the winter. If we don't let her under the covers, she'll paw our heads until that little problem's fixed. She knows "sit" when she feels like it, thinks "stay" means "lay down," thinks "lay down" means "roll over," and ignores most other things except for "Clean-up crew!"--which means food's been dropped and I don't feel like getting a mop.

Greenwolf103
04-30-2008, 10:13 PM
Well, not funny, but FWIW:

My chihuahua ALWAYS follows me around every time he needs to go out. At least he follows me and not... has an accident somewhere.

Now an interesting note: I used to have an Australian Shepherd. Had him since he was a pup. I am profoundly deaf and he must've eventually picked up on that because, when someone was knocking at the door, he'd come sit by me, look in the direction of the door, bark and occasionally look at me to see if I'd noticed yet. (He was a hell of a dog!)

dear_swan
06-12-2008, 10:20 PM
whenever there was fireworks outside (for 4th of july) or a thunderstorm, our dog would go nuts and try to get through our backdoor by scratching her paws on it uncontrollably! Not so great for the door. Took all the paint off and some of the wood off!

Izunya
06-12-2008, 11:07 PM
Now an interesting note: I used to have an Australian Shepherd. Had him since he was a pup. I am profoundly deaf and he must've eventually picked up on that because, when someone was knocking at the door, he'd come sit by me, look in the direction of the door, bark and occasionally look at me to see if I'd noticed yet. (He was a hell of a dog!)

I've come to the conclusion that Australian herding dogs are extremely bright—if, in the case of my Mom's dog, very weird. Skipper, my Mom's dog, has found at least ten different ways to get out of the fence and monitor the garbage man; we know this because my Mom has sealed about nine of them. He also learned, after only one experience, that black and white stripy critters are armed and dangerous. I don't think my old dog Foxie ever did figure out that skunks are not for chasing.

(Has anyone ever tried cleaning skunk-stink off a chow-mutt? Not fun. We're talking thick, dense fur, and the stink seems to get all the way down to the skin. We tried tomato juice, and it did seem to neutralize the worst of it, but it also made Foxie look like some kind of bloody zombie dog, and no, I'm not trying to curse, I'm just describing. Of course, that was when she decided that she'd had enough of the hose, and decided to escape . . .)

Izunya

Perks
06-12-2008, 11:46 PM
So weird that this thread would pop up again today. I am, as we speak, tapping out the climactic scene of the whole book. And Tessa The Wonder Dog, imbued with life from your stories, plays an important part.

Seriously. I'm writing it right now.

StephanieFox
06-15-2008, 03:29 AM
Really, you need a dog of your own.

Kalyke
06-15-2008, 03:54 AM
Pats my arm with a paw and actually pulls my arm over to pet her (the Italian Greyhound). The IG talks a lot. She sounds like scooby doo. Both the IG and the Chihuahua are very good communicators. I think if they were big dogs they'd be at "Lassie" level.

HeronW
06-15-2008, 03:56 AM
Duke was mostly Yellow Lab and mostly hated any water deeper than 2". I'd howl and he'd howl next to me. Pasha our big (18 lbs) tabby would tease Duke mercilessly by walking under his nose and dragging a biggy furry tail under and around, then turn and repeat until Duke sneezed. When we had leftover spagetti--Pasha got the sauce--loved the basil & oregano, & Duke got the pasta. First time Duke saw my then 2 year old nephew he was terrified and ran and jumped on the couch and looked over my mom's shoulder at the strange thing crawling toward him.

He was a good dog.