Parents--I need help with kid-sizes!

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
I don't have access to kids, and don't think the local school would take kindly to me chasing theirs around with a tape measure.

I may have a HUGE project ahead and need an idea about the:

Nape to floor length for

12 year olds and

8 year olds.

I can't go by height, but this crazy nape-to-floor number.

If any of you have kids in that age group, could you PM or post their numbers to me? I need enough numbers to figure out a base average.

It ain't for anything too strange, I promise! My day job is bidding for a costuming contract with the Disney World people (WOOT!) and suddenly nape-to-floor numbers are looming large in my life! :hooray:

Thank you muchly!!

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a ten yo (but he wears size 12 clothes) and a 7 yo. I'll measure them tonight for you. Just to be accurate, are you wanting nape of the neck to floor measurements?

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Just to be accurate, are you wanting nape of the neck to floor measurements?

Kee-rect!

whack off a foot (for the head), or do you need something more accurate than that?

Ditto kee-rect!

If I could go by height I could Google averages for their age and subtract, but everyone has a different length head and neck combo. I found that out the first week I started Costuming 101 at college.

(I sure hope that one actor finally got over his hissy fit with me! It wasn't MY fault I didn't factor in some ease in his pantaloons. No one ever told me that boys need a little extra space just there! :D )

Thanks all!

Last edited:

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score
Missing Writer??? May flights of angels carry you
when they were 12, they were 59" and 59.5" -- so if you whack off their heads (about a foot) -- 47" and 47.5" They might be a bit taller than norm -- their father is 6'4", but then again, I'm slightly over 5' so most people look tall to me. :D Hope this helps

(the section of the board where there were 8 is really worn for about a foot, so I don't want to take a chance on not getting the numbers right.)

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, kid measurements.

My 10 yo (who wears size 12) was 47 inches floor to nape.

My 7 yo (who wears size 8) was 39 1/2 inches. He should be a good baseline since he just went to the doctor and measured in the 50% for his height. (And his weight and everything else. He always does. Hubby and I call him Mr. 50%).

Hope those numbers help!

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
You may want to get a copy of a book like:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0471099554/?tag=absolutewritedm-20

Unfortunately the free preview stops at 4 year olds, but you get the idea of the sample measurements they have.

The full standard is SAE J833, which also breaks down every measurement possible to different ethnic groups and ages.

There is an entire engineering discipline (Human Factors) which covers all of this, but unfortunately all the references I have limit themselves to adults.

I imagine clothiers would have similar reference books. If not, it seems like a nice market niche for a reference book ... all of the data is available in international standards.

Mac

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
My 12 year-old is 50" almost. Say 49"-49.5".

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
you're not going to find the golden number and chop their head off, right?

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
my 12 year old son is 51 inches from the nape of his neck to the floor.

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
You could check out the ASTM sizing standards. I don't have a current copy, but the last time I got a copy it had everything but the length of the big toe...

ASTM D6192-07 Standard Tables of Body Measurements for Girls, Sizes 2 to 20 (Reg & Slim) and Girls Plus: http://www.astm.org/Standards/D6192.htm

ASTM D6458-99(2006) Standard Tables of Body Measurements for Boys, Sizes 8 to 14 Slim and 8 to 20 Regular: http://www.astm.org/Standards/D6860.htm

They do charge for them online, but you can find the published volumes of ASTM standards at major libraries and then look up the one you want. If you can't find it, ask the reference librarian.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
THANK YOU!! EVERYONE!

This is a huge help to me. Even a small sample gives a base to work from. My job has to make some things to fit grownups and kids (prizes for a contest). The adults are no prob, but we're all single or the kids are grown.

And just to reassure, no kids are losing their hat racks!

icon14.gif

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I just checked my son's friend, also 12, and he measures 51.5 nape to floor.
we're having a b-day party tomorrow,you think I'd cause concern if I measured all the kids?? ;) (kidding, yes, it would be weird-but I will try to check a couple)