PDA

View Full Version : Agents contacted me - What's next?

AConfusedWriter
04-24-2008, 11:28 PM
Hi all, I'm back after being MIA for a few months. My proposal is unfinished (sadly) - still missing the sample chapters but everything else is ready. In the past month, 2 agents contacted me - one is a referral and one found me on LinkedIn. The referral has some big names in her portfolio so I'm excited. Originally she sent me an email saying that she prefers exclusive viewing. After knowing that I've also been contacted by another agent, she said that she will read my proposal non exclusive as well.

I'm just puzzled why agents asked for exclusive viewing in the first place? After sending my finished proposal to the 2 agents, what should I expect? I'm so foreign to the publishing industry - I really feel like I need to read a book on this!

flashgordon
04-25-2008, 12:11 AM
Usually an agent wants an exclusive deal so that they don't put in time and energy reading your proposal and then having you go and sell it to someone else. Often this is why publishing takes forever, you have to wait on the agent, then on the publisher, all the while not knowing if they will take it on or not. I would consider myself lucky if they are willing to read it non-exclusively. You are basically being allowed to submit it to more then one place at a time.

kullervo
04-25-2008, 12:21 AM
Be sure to visit the Bewares and Background Checks part of these forums, and http://anotherealm.com/prededitors/. Make sure these agents are on the up-and-up. And then get excited. Sounds like you have quite a project!

soleary
04-27-2008, 06:43 PM
I have had only one agent out of 6 or so thus far request an exclusive, and I chose not to submit to him yet. There are some great books on getting agents and publishers, such as the one by literary agent Jeff Herman.
Good luck!

gettingby
04-28-2008, 12:23 PM
Hi all, I'm back after being MIA for a few months. My proposal is unfinished (sadly) - still missing the sample chapters but everything else is ready. In the past month, 2 agents contacted me - one is a referral and one found me on LinkedIn. The referral has some big names in her portfolio so I'm excited. Originally she sent me an email saying that she prefers exclusive viewing. After knowing that I've also been contacted by another agent, she said that she will read my proposal non exclusive as well.

I'm just puzzled why agents asked for exclusive viewing in the first place? After sending my finished proposal to the 2 agents, what should I expect? I'm so foreign to the publishing industry - I really feel like I need to read a book on this!

You are sending out your proposal even though it is not finished? Be careful with that.
When agents ask for an exclusive I think it is pretty easy to get out of it. I have only been asked once, but four other agents were already looking at it at that time. When I said that to the agent, she said to send it anyway, but asked that we talk before I sign with anyone. I think agents ask for exclusives when they are interested, but they are worried you might get other offers before they get back to you. Good luck.

AConfusedWriter
05-07-2008, 12:18 AM
Hi guys, thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. No I didn't plan to send an unfinished proposal. One of them cold-called me and asked if I'm interested to write a book - he had probably heard my interviews on radio or visited my website. Another one was a referral from another colleague who got a book deal. I have done background check on them and they are both good. Since 2 agents are interested to look at my proposal, I'm just not sure the proper procedure and etiquette. I'll definitely take up your advice and try to avoid exclusive viewing.

Many thanks for your help!