Has anyone ever had an invitation to meet the Prime Minister/President?

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
Random thought; My dad has been invited for luncheons and dinners with the Portuguese Prime Minister and he's wife when they have been in London;UK on several counts, but he has never taken up the invitations. I was kind of curious to see whether he'd go, and what the experience would be like.

I've not yet received any invites yet. I was wondering, whether any of you had ever received an invite to meet the President or the Prime Minister on casual or formal dates? And whether you have accepted or not? If yes, feel free to share with us your experience. If no, why? What was your first thought, when you received the invite?

If you haven't had an invitation, and aren't familiar with them, what do you think of them?

Last edited:

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
i was called to lady jay's office once.

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score
Missing Writer??? May flights of angels carry you
I've met Joe Clark (who?), who was Prime Minister here for a very short time.
I met Pierre Trudeau, who was Prime Minister here for a very long time.
I met Governor General Sauve.

I was 17, and was in Ottawa as a member of the Forum For Young Canadians.

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
I was invited to an innagural ball once. Richard Nixon. (yep! I'm an old broad.) I have met two governors from the state of VA: Gerry Baliles and Doug Wilder. (Ill go to my grave believing Wilder tried to pick me up. He actually asked, "Haven't we met somewhere before? Do you believe it!)

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
When I was a newspaper editor I covered Bush Jr and Clinton during election campaign speeches - me and the dozens of secret service agents that seem to blend in with the wood work. I wasn't invited.

Our governor a while back was out at the site of a controversial construction project - back when those were still taking place with some vigor - and the gov was surrounded by Extremely Tall security personnel and every time I, very short, tried to get closer to hear what the governor was saying (so I could quote him accurately, silly me) they tightened their circle around him. As if.
But since the gov couldn't look down to get a good look at me, consequently I wasn't invited to lunch.

I'm afraid that the closest I come!

kct webber

Squirrel, Sekrit type, 1 ea.
Registered
Reaction score
I ate dinner with Bill Clinton and, on a separate occasion, I met his wife. I was on the security detail on two occasions for Madalyn Albright when she was the Secretary of State. I met the Egyptian President in Nama Bay at the Hilton. And I ate dinner with the President of Botsowana.

Bill is a great guy. Really nice and down to earth. Hillary, I didn't like at all. She treats people like shit. Madalyn is halarious; nicest women in the world. The Egyptian Pres was nice, but it was just a friendly hey, how ya' doing. The Botsowanan president is very nice as well and had a great deal of respect for American soldiers; he wanted to know all about our training. It's all he wanted to talk about.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
:roll:lol really, or you having me on?

yes, I really did, and I still have it in a box somewhere. It looks 'official' and it's on some high quality card stock, BUT, what I suspect that it is, is just an add-on 'perk' that one can pay for when paying the JP for doing the ceremony. I'm sure that Clinton and/or the White House no friggin idea who I am, or my ex-wife is for that matter. My Mom in Law paid for that, and she is a Clinton fan, so I'm sure it was something she did. Although she wouldn't admit it.

But, it was weird getting it in the mail with a DC postage stamp on it.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
I actually just googled this Wedding congratulations thing from the White House, and apparently, it is REAL.
They will send out all sorts of congratulations cards etc...

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
I actually just googled this Wedding congratulations thing from the White House, and apparently, it is REAL.
They will send out all sorts of congratulations cards etc...

Do, you know why they do that? Was it really from the Clintons? Or someone set it up, from the Administration department and set it out? As I think, that it may be similiar to the ones my dad got, even if they did look very professional looking.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
How to Order Greetings From the White House
From Robert Longley,
Your Guide to US Government Info.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!
New Babies, Weddings, Birthdays, Anniversaries and more
The White House will send greeting cards signed by the President of the United States to commemorate special events, accomplishments or milestones free of charge to U.S. citizens. To request a greeting card from the President, just follow these guidelines from the White House Greetings Office:
ALL REQUESTS FOR GREETINGS MUST BE SUBMITTED IN WRITING TO: The White House
Attn: Greetings Office
Washington, D.C. 20502-0039[/i

U.S. CITIZENS ONLY. The White House will send greetings to United States citizens only, for special occasions as outlined below.

ADVANCE NOTICE REQUIRED. Your request must be received six (6) weeks in advance of the event date. We make every effort to honor every request, but we cannot guarantee a greeting if this guideline is not met.

Sponsored Links
Wedding Anniversary Cards
1000's of Free Ecards & Greetings. All Free. Send Unlimited Cards Now!
WeddingAnniversarys.coml.biz

Free Greetings
Find more sources/options for Free Greetings
webcrawler.com/free_greetings

Free Government Grants
Free Government Grants for 2008 Billions Available. Never Repay!
Government_Grant.FreeGrantKit.net
(Greetings are generally not sent after the event date, except for wedding congratulations and newborn acknowledgments.)
ANNIVERSARY GREETINGS. Anniversary greetings are extended only to those couples who are celebrating their 50th (and subsequent) wedding anniversary.

BIRTHDAY GREETINGS. Birthday greetings will be sent only to individuals 80 years of age and above.

OTHER GREETINGS. A limited number of special occasions other than birthdays and anniversaries exist for which the Greetings Office will send appropriate recognition to United States citizens. These occasions include important events such as:

Wedding (send your request after the event)

Baby's Birth (must be born during the Bush Administration; send request only after baby's birth)

Eagle Scout Award

Girl Scout Gold Award

Bar/Bat Mitzvah or equivalent occasion
REQUIRED INFORMATION. Please include the following in your request:

name and home address of honoree(s)

form of address (Mr., Ms., Mrs., Dr., Miss, etc.)

exact date of occasion (month, day, year)

age (birthdays) or number of years of marriage

your (the requestor's) name and daytime phone number

any specific mailing instructions if other than to honoree's address

Wedding (Include couple's married names and current or new address)

Baby's Birth (Include baby's date of birth and full names and address of baby and parents)
WHEN TO EXPECT YOUR GREETING. In most cases, greetings will be mailed from the White House approximately ten (10) days prior to the event.

MichaelDeVere

Banned
Reaction score
I used to date First Lady Barbara Bush's great niece. I spent a couple of hours at her family Christmas with the President & First Lady in 1990.

Incredibly gracious, kind people.

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
I made a K-turn in Bush Sr's driveway entrance up in Kennebunkport - I think it was around 1988/89.