PDA

View Full Version : Dear music addicts..

Renee
04-04-2005, 06:24 AM
Well I thought it was about time for another music related thread. (Since I am a music addict)

What is the name of your very favorite band. You can only list one, so think really, really hard - but please, don't pop a vein in your forehead or anything.

One band - make it count! :banana:

:whip: :guns:

Renee

ritinrider
04-04-2005, 06:28 AM
Does "Alabama" count as a band?

*nita, running before the pop fans throw things *.

Fractured_Chaos
04-04-2005, 06:30 AM
:Hail:Rammstein.

Gee does that come as a surprise to anyone? :ROFL:

brokenfingers
04-04-2005, 06:30 AM
Wow, this one's tough.

I guess for their general consistency and the fact that they have soooo many songs that get my blood up and that I enjoy time and time again:

AC/DC

Renee
04-04-2005, 06:52 AM

Not to me. LOL...not really, you can pick anyone you like!

:flag:

Cabria
04-04-2005, 07:10 AM
Many but if I have to pick one, it is Heart :heart: . (Love playing along to their music!)

Debbie :snoopy:

Renee
04-04-2005, 07:22 AM
Oh BTW, my fav-o-rite band would have to be Pearl Jam. Their very best album is Ten. I've seen them live about four times, so far - currently waiting for them to decide to tour again.

PS- I'm going to Ozzfest this year! Yikes! :banana:

Fractured_Chaos
04-04-2005, 07:27 AM
Ten is probably my favorite by Pearl Jam, too.

I'm not much of a concert-goer, though. I've been to -two- in my life.:o

brokenfingers
04-04-2005, 07:29 AM
(brokenfingers puts his hand up)

Ten is a classic - in every sense of the word...

Renee
04-04-2005, 07:40 AM
Ten is probably my favorite by Pearl Jam, too.

I'm not much of a concert-goer, though. I've been to -two- in my life.:o

Which two concerts?

Ten is truly an awesome album! I've been to at least 50 concerts. I'm an avid concert-goer and plan on seeing more!

And whoever said Heart for their fav-o-rite : COOL!

BradyH1861
04-04-2005, 07:51 AM

I think they count. And they are a good choice. They aren't my favorite group, but they are definitely in my top five.

I'm not sure that I have a favorite band. I prefer to listen to 19th Century popular music. My wife likes Beatles. (a little odd for a 25 year old...but then again, so are my musical tastes)

Brady H.

JenNipps
04-04-2005, 08:08 AM
One band - make it count!
Easy. U2 :)

:tongue (That's for running before the "pop fans" throw something at you, not that I would, but you've got to give them/us a fair chance. lol)

Fractured_Chaos
04-04-2005, 08:21 AM
Which two concerts?

Ten is truly an awesome album! I've been to at least 50 concerts. I'm an avid concert-goer and plan on seeing more!

And whoever said Heart for their fav-o-rite : COOL!

Kansas and REO Speedwagon. :D

Um...

I'm showing my age here, aren't I? :o

sgtsdaughter
04-04-2005, 08:22 AM
Bon Jovi . . . hands down.

rtilryarms
04-04-2005, 08:24 AM
If it is only one then it has to be The Beatles. No other band crossed generations so many times. Even though thier early work was goofy and teenish they still had a special sound and bond.

The Beatles.

Fractured_Chaos
04-04-2005, 08:25 AM
My wife likes Beatles. (a little odd for a 25 year old...but then again, so are my musical tastes)

I would guess she is a child of 60's Parents. ;)

My oldest is 21, and she knows and loves the Beatles, The Who, Stones, etc.

In fact she kinda tweeked her BF of the time, a few years ago, when he was all hot over Madonna's lousy cover of "American Pie" (no insult to anyone who actually likes that version, but the woman did NOT do the song justice). Especially when she sang the -WHOLE- song to him. :ROFL:

It wasn't long after that infamous conversation that she accused me of ruining her for anyone her own age. :ROFL:

Renee
04-04-2005, 08:27 AM
Kansas and REO Speedwagon. :D

Um...

I'm showing my age here, aren't I? :o

COOL! I absolutely love both bands, but have never had the chance to see 'em live. I bet both concerts were rockin'! I wish Kansas would do a come-back tour, as far as I know they aren't still touring but I guess they could still be. REO was still touring occasionally the last time I checked. That's be f'in awesome.

CARRYING on my wayward sun!

LMFAO...

CACTUSWENDY
04-04-2005, 08:36 AM
:Jump: Yanni:Jump:

BradyH1861
04-04-2005, 08:40 AM

That's good. See, if she likes the Beatles because she is a child of 60s parents, and I like 19th Century music.....then I must have 19th Century parents! You've confirmed my suspicions! I'll have to call my mom and confront her with the truth. She was born in 1855 not 1955! Well, if I do that, I probably wont get anything for my birthday. Hmmmm, maybe I won't.

Brady H.

Liam Jackson
04-04-2005, 08:49 AM
Metallica. although it's not "hands-down" with me. I have two or three bands very near the top.

robeiae
04-04-2005, 08:53 AM
Easiest question I've seen in a while:

Neil Young with Crazy Horse

followed closely by Crosby, Still, Nash and Young

Rob

Fractured_Chaos
04-04-2005, 08:55 AM
That's good. See, if she likes the Beatles because she is a child of 60s parents, and I like 19th Century music.....then I must have 19th Century parents! You've confirmed my suspicions! I'll have to call my mom and confront her with the truth. She was born in 1855 not 1955! Well, if I do that, I probably wont get anything for my birthday. Hmmmm, maybe I won't.

Brady H.

*giggles* Okay, so it was a lame theory! :wag:

And no, I wouldn't advise calling your mom, and telling her that.

BradyH1861
04-04-2005, 08:58 AM
Not a lame theory at all. I did have old fashioned parents! It gives legitimacy to what I've believed all along. Seriously though, I've always thought that I'd be more at home in the 19th Century than our present one. That's probably why I like the music so much. It fits nicely with my historical obesession.

Brady H.

Optimus
04-04-2005, 11:11 AM
Van Halen, the Diamond Dave years.

Galoot
04-04-2005, 12:13 PM
Easy.

The Scorpions.

mdin
04-04-2005, 12:31 PM
Dream Theater (http://www.dreamtheater.net/).

oswann
04-04-2005, 01:04 PM
Is it just me or is there a lot of you guys who like your music a little on the heavy side? AC/DC, Metallica, Van Halen, Bon Jovi, Scorpions...

When I was at university, about five thousand years ago, it seemed to be a perpetual race to name the most obscure bands as being the greatest things to ever pick up guitars. I came up with a standard response that always made me appear 'in the know' even if I had no idea who was being raved about - Yeah I liked their early stuff. ;)

Try it. works every time. Even for bands who have just released their first album there is always something that exists before. Some even more obscure bootleg or live recording made by a guy in a bar with a dictaphone.

Os.

oswann
04-04-2005, 01:07 PM
I avoided the question but any of the bands that Miles Davis created. Secret's out, I'm the only jazz fan in the house. Like Liam it's not hands down but with Miles there's lots of diversity and a long career so I'm not gonna get bored.

Os

Rob-rite
04-04-2005, 03:49 PM
Would have to be Manic Street Preachers but I fear they've gone a bit lame lately (but then again, so have I).

Used to be mad on REM too.

Sarita
04-04-2005, 04:18 PM
I just can't do it. I can't name one, so I wont name any! (Um, The Doors, Pink Floyd, The Cure...) Okay, okay, if I had to pick one, I guess I would say The Cure, but their new stuff is in the crapper. The OLD Cure.

mistri
04-04-2005, 05:12 PM
I know nothing about music. Nothing.

My favourite band (if forced to choose only one) is Our Lady Peace

Optimus
04-04-2005, 06:34 PM
I know nothing about music. Nothing.

My favourite band (if forced to choose only one) is Our Lady Peace
...who toured with Van Halen during their 1995 Balance tour.

:tongue

aka eraser
04-04-2005, 08:18 PM
The Yardbirds - who begat Jeff Beck (with Rod Stewart as lead singer - back when he sang better than he postured) and who also begat Led Zep and Cream. Imagine a band that featured Beck, Page and Clapton at one time or another (all 3 never overlapped as far as I know).

Honourable mention to Buffalo Springfield (who begat CSNY, Poco, Loggins and Messina) Wet Willie and Little Feat.

KellyS.
04-04-2005, 08:27 PM
I like a lot. First two that come to mind are Pink Floyd and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.

You may shoot my post for naming two now.

You realize how unfair your question is, right? Because I wanted to name more. If I were allowed to list: Van Halen (David Lee Roth style-thank you), Rainbow, Aerosmith (early), and many, many more which I can't list. :0)

Renee
04-05-2005, 01:46 AM
Ok come on ya'll I had to narrow my choice down to one also - and of course it wasn't easy. It's a challenge..lol..it's much harder to name just one then several.:whip:

Kelly - Don't worry I won't shoot your post. :guns: *Pulls out gun then puts it in back in the holster* lmfao...

:roll:

mommie4a
04-05-2005, 01:49 AM
The Police - for five of the most consistently different and listenable, danceable and singable in the car, shower and while cleaning albums ever.

Azure Skye
04-05-2005, 02:04 AM
The Clash.

:Guitar:

Richard White
04-05-2005, 02:59 AM
Priss and the Replicants (for the Bubblegum Crisis fans here) ;)

(ducking brickbats - Also Mannheim Steamroller and Medieval Babes to write to)

ritinrider
04-05-2005, 03:51 AM

In fact she kinda tweeked her BF of the time, a few years ago, when he was all hot over Madonna's lousy cover of "American Pie" (no insult to anyone who actually likes that version, but the woman did NOT do the song justice). Especially when she sang the -WHOLE- song to him. :ROFL:

It wasn't long after that infamous conversation that she accused me of ruining her for anyone her own age. :ROFL:

That's what mom's are for - to ruin their children's lives in any and every way possible.

Nita

allion
04-05-2005, 03:57 AM
U2

There are many close seconds...Police, Rush, AC DC if I need to rock out, Stones, Who, The Doors, CSNY, Duran Duran (the early stuff - yes, I can admit it!), The Cult, The Cure, The Ramones, The Beatles, Bon Jovi, REM...

Karen

HConn
04-05-2005, 05:57 AM
Milli Vanilli.

What?

Elincoln
04-05-2005, 06:28 AM
Definitely RUSH!

Elincoln
04-05-2005, 06:31 AM
OTOH, if you had asked me this question about 15 years ago, I would have said Prince and NPG. Just goes to show...

firehorse
04-05-2005, 06:39 AM
Leonard Cohen

MacAllister
04-05-2005, 06:46 AM
I gotta go with the Pretenders. This has been bugging me for two days--trying to narrow it down to just one is wickedly difficult. :)

Fractured_Chaos
04-05-2005, 09:19 AM
Yeah, well...I -do- listen to other music, besides Rammstein. I just could only pick one, so I chose what I listen to the most, and the group with the lead singer that was the hottest. :wag:

But I like just about any genre, as long as the music's good. And I tend to use music for helping me create the mood I need for the scene I'm writing.

Which is why it was a fate alsmost worse than death when I lost those 6000 MP3s (Yes, I'm -still- whining about that)

William Haskins
04-05-2005, 09:34 AM
http://www.shreddingradio.com/clash.jpg

Optimus
04-05-2005, 10:41 AM
Leonard Cohen
Jeff Buckley's cover of Cohen's "Hallelujah" is hauntingly powerful, devastatingly angelic.

One of the sweetest pieces of beautiful pain I've ever heard.

sthrnwriter
04-05-2005, 12:29 PM
Do I really have to pick just one? Ok Ok. Lets see...I guess my fav band would have to be (well at least for this month) Jimmy Eat World. I like some of the new songs they have been coming out with.

Renee
04-06-2005, 03:04 AM
I love reading everyone's answers. I think these sort of questions tell alot about a person. ;)

lucyishome
04-06-2005, 03:14 AM
Soundgarden is one. I have so many but listing them all would take up to much space.

Anne

:hi:

aka eraser
04-06-2005, 03:32 AM
I love reading everyone's answers. I think these sort of questions tell alot about a person. ;)

Mine tell you I'm old. ;)

Renee
04-06-2005, 04:05 AM

Nah, there's no age to music. That's what's so cool about it! There are people from my generation that would list--say the Beatles. And they weren't even from that era. It's all just a matter of taste.

Renee
04-06-2005, 04:07 AM
Soundgarden is one. I have so many but listing them all would take up to much space.

Anne

:hi:

Nice choice! Alot of ya'll have the same musical taste that I do.

WVWriterGirl
04-06-2005, 05:32 AM
Journey. That's my favorite band. I know all the words to most of the songs, and it's the band my husband and I fell in love to (in 1995...even then, we liked the old stuff)

I agree with almost everyone's choices, though. Some I've never heard of, but the ones I know I definately love. Just not as much as Journey.

WVWG

Galoot
04-06-2005, 07:58 AM
There are people from my generation that would list--say the Beatles.

When the young ladies make the my generation / your generation distinction, you're old.

hehehehrunawayheheheh

Galoot
04-06-2005, 08:01 AM
Journey. That's my favorite band. I know all the words to most of the songs, and it's the band my husband and I fell in love to (in 1995...even then, we liked the old stuff)Who says two writers can't independently come up with the same story? Mrs. G and I did the same thing, only it was 1993.

mdin
04-06-2005, 08:05 AM
Journey. That's my favorite band.
WVWG

A (internet) buddy of mine is a huge Journey fan. Do you post on their message board? I'm sure he's a regular over there. He designed the cover to their Red 13 EP and the did the drummer's bass head art.

wurdwise
04-06-2005, 08:11 AM
http://cdcovers.iespana.es/cdcovers/CoversM/Moody_Blues-Seventh_Sojourn-Front.jpg

scullars
04-06-2005, 08:16 AM
The ultimate band...

Galoot
04-06-2005, 08:36 AM
A (internet) buddy of mine is a huge Journey fan. Do you post on their message board? I'm sure he's a regular over there. He designed the cover to their Red 13 EP and the did the drummer's bass head art.Named Chris (or Nomad)? I recognize him from yet another site. He does good stuff. Tell him Galoot from Worth says hi.

mdin
04-06-2005, 11:08 AM
lol. What a small internet this is.

What site do you know him from?

Galoot
04-06-2005, 12:00 PM
What site do you know him from?That'd be www.worth1000.com, the best darned photoshopping site on the net. Daily Photoshop, illustration and photography contests, featuring work by masters of visual comedy like, uh...me. :D

http://img101.exs.cx/img101/2321/justintimberstein4nn.th.jpg (http://www.worth1000.com/view.asp?entry=58264&display=photoshop)
Here's one for dragnliver, just so we stay on topic.
(No, this one's not mine.)

They've also got a section for text contests (usually 800 words or less), which might interest a few folks here, and users can set up head-to-head matches if they want to go one on one.

mdin
04-06-2005, 12:39 PM
ahh, yes. I love that website! The whole graphics department here at the newspaper where I work hordes around my computer once every other week as we look at the entries to the Photoshop contests.

Renee
04-07-2005, 06:54 AM
When the young ladies make the my generation / your generation distinction, you're old.

hehehehrunawayheheheh

Speak for yourself! :roll:

Celeste
04-24-2005, 12:54 PM
Wow! You guys have great taste in music! But Milli Vanilli? You're not serious???

I know you asked for only one, but I'll give ya' two. One for new and old.

New: The White Stripes, for sure! Jack White! Mmm...Yummy! :Guitar:
Old: The Doors. Jim Morrison. Mmm...Even yummier!

But there are so many others....
The Rolling Stones
Jimi Hendrix
Pink Floyd
Janis Jopin
Cream
Led Zeppelin
Lenny Kravitz (yum, yum, yum...!)

The list goes on....

Yeah, okay, so I gave ya' a whole list. ;)

celeste

Fractured_Chaos
04-24-2005, 01:07 PM
http://img101.exs.cx/img101/2321/justintimberstein4nn.th.jpg (http://www.worth1000.com/view.asp?entry=58264&display=photoshop)
Here's one for dragnliver, just so we stay on topic.
(No, this one's not mine.)

:ROFL: Buahahahahahahaha!

Galoot! I love you! :kiss:

JennaGlatzer
04-24-2005, 01:14 PM
One is so unfair. Okay, I'll go with the Indigo Girls.

(And Counting Crows and the Beatles and Simon & Garfunkel and Jim Croce and Cat Stevens and Little Texas and Credence Clearwater Revival and Depeche Mode and Sting and the Dead Milkmen and the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Erasure and U2 and REM and Ricki Lee Jones and They Might Be Giants and Joni Mitchell and Bon Jovi and Guns 'n' Roses and Big Audio Dynamite and Billy Joel and Neil Diamond!)

Do NOT get me started on Broadway musicals.

Optimus
04-24-2005, 01:29 PM
Hey, Jenna.

Better Erasure song: "Respect" or "Chains of Love?"

(my vote is for "Respect").

And, I just want to point out that you left Breathe ("Hands To Heaven," "How Can I Fall") out of your list.

maestrowork
04-24-2005, 05:38 PM
Jenna, as an actor I like musicals. But not all of them. You can't pay me enough to see a suck-ass ones like BIG. But Rent? The Who's Tommy? Damn Yankees? How to Succeed in Business? Chicago? Oh year.

I was a foreigner when I came here so my taste in American/Western music was jaded by what was available to me when I was a teenager, meaning, mostly pop: Billy Joel, U2, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Depeche Mode, Wham! (and a lot of Brit pops), the Survivor, Hall and Oats, Sting, Moody Blues, Eagles, Chicago, AC/DC (I know, my taste goes all over the place), jazz, and movie soundtracks.

I still love to listen to movie soundtracks, House, jazz and fusion. I used to go to a fushion place every week until they closed for good...

maestrowork
04-24-2005, 05:40 PM
Jeff Buckley's cover of Cohen's "Hallelujah" is hauntingly powerful, devastatingly angelic.

One of the sweetest pieces of beautiful pain I've ever heard.

I happen to love that piece. And sang it (uncharacteristically) at a concert.

biotales
04-24-2005, 05:50 PM
Sorry I can not play this game.... I can not choose just one... when so many have done such quality work.... I have gone beyond the "HIts"... and have found wonderful masterpieces on the flip side of the albums.... so each one has its own distintive voice and sound...
sorry... I have worked with tooooo many of them... which is another factor...

biotales
04-24-2005, 05:52 PM
Sorry I can not play this game.... I can not choose just one... when so many have done such quality work.... I have gone beyond the "HIts"... and have found wonderful masterpieces on the flip side of the albums.... so each one has its own distintive voice and sound...
sorry... I have worked with tooooo many of them... which is another factor...

Boy do I sound stuffy or what?
:Smack:

Innocent01
04-24-2005, 08:24 PM
Only one...let's see here...

If I have to choose only one, I'm going with Hanson. *ducks flying objects* And before any of you who have heard of them start laughing, please hear me out. If I had never heard of Hanson, I would not be a writer now - I'd have never taken it seriously. I'm barely 15 months younger than the lead singer, which was mainly what proved that if I want to be a writer, then I can - and to hell with everything else ;) They're amazing musicians, and it's been well worth the eight-year wait to see them in concert - I'll be attending their Sydney concert at the end of next month, providing my parents don't suddenly decide to give me something else for my birthday...

gabbleandhiss
04-24-2005, 08:58 PM
Top 3:

1. Guns N' Roses (to be immortalized in my first book . . . whenever the hell I sit down to write it)
2. The Clash
3. Radiohead

Honorable mentions:

The Smiths
The Living End
Bad Religion
The Doors
The Who
Fiona Apple
Depeche Mode
Tool
Queens of the Stone Age
Alice In Chains
Lauryn Hill / Fugees
Elton John (older stuff)
The Cranberries

Sharon Mock
04-24-2005, 11:13 PM
76 posts and no mention of Flogging Molly? Well, I'll just have to remedy that.

(And I'd just like to say I'm quite heartbroken about being unable to mention my first runner-up (http://www.noside.com/Catalog/CatalogAlbum_01.asp?Album_ID=27).)

Optimus
04-25-2005, 12:49 AM
Anyone who likes the Cranberries should like The Sundays, too, since that's who they stole their sound from.

gabbleandhiss
04-25-2005, 03:14 AM
Well, boo hoo. The only remotely interesting recording by The Sundays is their cover of "Wild Horses". Everything else is rather snoreful, IMHO. But whatever floats yer boat.

I'll add Queen and Randy Rhoads to the mix.

WVWriterGirl
04-25-2005, 04:21 AM
...and Neil Diamond!)

Jenna -

Since you said you like Neil Diamond (and for all you other Neil Diamond fans out there) - do you remember the song "Marry Me" he did with that unknown girl about seven or eight years ago? It was a big hit at weddings for a while (duh). Anyway, that "unknown girl" is my cousin, Buffy Lawson. She's a songwriter, and she got to appear on a Neil Diamond special with him to sing that song, and they were also featured on Leno, where she performed with him.

WVWG

Celeste
04-25-2005, 04:30 AM
MC5
Iggy & the Stooges
Cactus (underground band from the 70s)
Free
Frank Zappa
Ten Years After
The Black Crowes
The Reeferman (local band)
Humble Pie
The Who
Grateful Dead
The Faces (70s when Rod Stewart was good)
The Guess Who
The Yardbirds
The Jeff Beck Group
Black Sabbath

amidsummerswrite
04-25-2005, 05:44 AM
Somehow when I started reading this, I knew the real music lovers wouldn't be able to choose just one.

I was going to do just one, but since everyone else cheated....

Led Zeppelin
Soundgarden
Jet
The Stones
Guns and Roses
Stone Temple Pilots
Doors
AC/DC
Black Crowes

many more

Renee
04-26-2005, 03:33 AM
My thread has been revived, go, go, go! LOL. :)

Amidsummerswrite --

The real music lovers, in fact, have chosen only one. That was the entire point of this thread. ;)

amidsummerswrite
04-26-2005, 04:08 AM
Damn...and I thought I was a real music lover.

:Hail:

I can't go back though....or can I???

Must not click edit, must not click edit.

Melina
04-26-2005, 02:42 PM
The Beatles

There are lots of runners-up, but The Beatles will always be #1 with me.

Melina

Sarita
04-26-2005, 02:45 PM
The real music lovers, in fact, have chosen only one. That was the entire point of this thread.

Yeah, I did it. Even though Renee forced me too, I still like my choice. ;)

Renee
04-27-2005, 12:58 AM
LOL..ya'll are cracking me up.

Yes, a true music lover is one who wonders if they made the right choice. And then frets over naming just one.

HEHE...