Strong voice / strong style -- what does that mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
When a person says that somebody's writing has a very strong style, or strong voice, what does he mean?

And is having a strong style and voice necessary for good writing, or is it an individual thing?

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It may have something to do with prose. I can't explain it in words.

There was the same post about this somewhere. A strong voice is perfect for good writing, but if you focus too much on the style it would come off as awkward. I think good writing comes from a writer who isn't trying. Style is nice to have though, but the readers won't pay attention.

I could be wrong.

Last edited:

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting questions. A strong voice comes from a distinctive character. A lot of good writing is done with a strong voice, certainly, but I don't think all good writing depends on a strong voice.

Look at Toni Morrison's Beloved or Holden Caulfield in Catcher in the Rye. These are strong voices for many reasons, and great writing. A strong voice can come from a character's distinctive way of speaking, sentence construction and other cues. It can also come from having distinctive and strong opinions.

But there are probably lots of novels that don't necessarily rely on a strong voice to make them good.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Style and voice are like the Force in Star Wars. You either have it, or you don't. And not everyone has a strong one.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting questions. A strong voice comes from a distinctive character.

And from the narrator, too -- who is sometimes a clear character and sometimes not.

Voice is simply the voice you've chosen to write in.

Sometimes the voice is intentionally flat and borrowed from cinema (character does this, this happens, this happens next), as in most third person POV.

Sometimes it's flowery, as in a lot of Southern literature that's written in first person.

Sometimes it is concrete and hardboiled, as in the detective fiction of James Sallis and Lee Child and Raymond Chandler.

Voice is the first thing a reader notices, that first impression, and so it's crucial.

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
When a person says that somebody's writing has a very strong style, or strong voice, what does he mean?

And is having a strong style and voice necessary for good writing, or is it an individual thing?

Thanks for asking this! I've had agents and an editor use these words to describe my writing. Unfortunalely for me it's in the form of a rejection letter. :-(

So I guess I can assume they aren't just being nice. :-/

EM

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Style and voice are like the Force in Star Wars. You either have it, or you don't. And not everyone has a strong one.

Actually, the Force is with us all, but few of us know how to channel it.

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
Strong voice is a measure of confidence. You are confident with your characters, your PoV choice, whatever. (Or, if not, you know how to fake it *really* well.) A weaker voice, to me, smacks of someone not comfortable in some way with their writing. Sort of like when authors first make the switch from third to first person PoV. You can tell when they're not comfortable with what they're doing. It's easy to spot (for me). It's like the difference between someone who does a cannonball into the water and the person who has to stick their toe in first. It's a confidence thing.

Strong style I think has more to do with an ability to be unique with your voice and stay consistant with it. You've made your writing more interesting outside of the story itself.

Summonere

Registered
Reaction score
2-cents in the pot...

It means that the author is completely, utterly, and enjoyably readable, and, most important of all, sounds absolutely like no one else.

Status
Not open for further replies.