PDA

View Full Version : Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers

BlackViolet13
04-24-2008, 06:22 AM
Anybody a member now or in the past? I'd like to see what others think before I send them my $45, both good and bad (and please feel free to PM me if you don't want to discuss anything publicly).

Thank you!

Tirjasdyn
04-24-2008, 08:57 PM
Anybody a member now or in the past? I'd like to see what others think before I send them my $45, both good and bad (and please feel free to PM me if you don't want to discuss anything publicly).

Thank you!

I've been a member.

For me...they did nothing. Since I was not published for money at the time, I had no listings. Their critique groups were always full even the online ones. Their website is dismal and very outdated. Their conference is extremely expensive so I never made it to one. The newsletter was okay but nothing to memorable. BroadUniverse has a much better newsletter but I let my membership lapse there.

The mailing list is nice..I'm still on that. It's pretty quiet though.

Needless to say, I let my membership lapse in RMFW. I'm looking for a critique group that either meets Wednesdays or on weekends. I go to one when they meet when I can meet...which every few months.

I think I've done everything but Lighthouse workshops in Denver. Currently I just go and write at a coffee house every Saturday with friends.

BlackViolet13
04-24-2008, 09:39 PM
That's exactly what I'm looking for, thanks for your candid answers. I have to agree about the website being outdated. I'm not saying it's a bad website, but I didn't feel like I got the answers I needed there. I am considering the annual conference in September, though.

I checked out the Lighthouse site, too. The classes look incredible, but I hate to spend the money right now because my minor is in writing and as you can imagine, I'm spending a pretty penny on tuition right now ;)

Best of luck to you finding a good critique group!

Tirjasdyn
04-25-2008, 08:04 PM
I always though milehigh con offered more.

of course we have worldcon this year...not totally writers either but hey :)

BlackViolet13
04-26-2008, 06:59 PM
I looked at the WoldCon website and wondered about that. It looks like a lot of fun, but the admission/membership price is a bit too steep for my budget right now.

Thanks for mentioning MileHigh Con, I'd never heard of that one before! I will definitely keep that one in mind, it's exactly what I'm looking for as far as a con goes :D