PDA

View Full Version : What's in your garden?

Soccer Mom
04-24-2008, 04:22 AM
I'm thinking veggie, but if you want to tell me about your roses, that's cool too.

I've got tomatoes, squash (straight and crooked neck), zucchini, egg plants, peppers, corn, & green beans.

I also have thyme, chives, basil, garlic, mint, chamomile, and sage.

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/128296973507657500iizplantinbu.jpg

SpookyWriter
04-24-2008, 04:36 AM
I've got tomatoes, squash (straight and crooked neck), zucchini, egg plants, peppers, corn, & green beans.
I got my neighbor.

http://www.cemeteryworks.com/mhs/bennett_set.jpg

reigningcatsndogs
04-24-2008, 04:42 AM
I've got snow in my garden again, but underneath that snow everything is ready for planting!!

And I have roses, and daffodils and hyacinth and crocuses and tulips...
tomatoes and peppers are doing well in the greenhouse,

... I've got 1.5 acres of gardens! This could take a while... :D

JoNightshade
04-24-2008, 04:46 AM
I have exactly one miniature rose which was in fact blooming when I recieved it for Valentine's Day, but I have not figured out how to make it bloom since. Do I have to wait another year or what?

Soccer Mom
04-24-2008, 04:49 AM
I have exactly one miniature rose which was in fact blooming when I recieved it for Valentine's Day, but I have not figured out how to make it bloom since. Do I have to wait another year or what?

Prune it and feed it. Roses only bloom on new growth.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-24-2008, 04:49 AM
Tomato. Tomato. Tomato. Tomato. Tomato. Tomato.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q172/liadano/100_1172.jpg

Yes... I do plan to put all my tomatoes in one basket. Why do you ask?

And Clematis... just for variety.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q172/liadano/100_1168.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q172/liadano/100_1170.jpg

JoNightshade
04-24-2008, 05:03 AM

I did prune! Like twice! And it's all growing and everything, but... no flowers. :(

Also what do you mean "feed it?" I gives it waterz, what else dis ting need?

SpookyWriter
04-24-2008, 05:06 AM
I did prune! Like twice! And it's all growing and everything, but... no flowers. :(

Also what do you mean "feed it?" I gives it waterz, what else dis ting need?Fertilizer.

http://www.instablogsimages.com/images/2007/09/21/cows_69.jpg

JoNightshade
04-24-2008, 05:07 AM
You telling me I need to buy a cow to feed my plant?

Talk about little shop of horrors.

I don't think it will fit on my balcony!

SpookyWriter
04-24-2008, 05:09 AM
You telling me I need to buy a cow to feed my plant?A biologist's worse nightmare.

Soccer Mom
04-24-2008, 05:10 AM
You can buy a good slow release fertilizer. Once you've pruned it, just let it grow. How often it blooms depends on what type of rose it is. But it WILL bloom more than once a year, Jo.

Give Spooky his cow back. He needs to fertilizer his neighbor's grave.

SpookyWriter
04-24-2008, 05:19 AM
I'd rather have a steak. My neighbor doesn't eat meat anymore.

Jean Marie
04-24-2008, 05:23 AM
I've got snow in my garden again, but underneath that snow everything is ready for planting!!

And I have roses, and daffodils and hyacinth and crocuses and tulips...
tomatoes and peppers are doing well in the greenhouse,

... I've got 1.5 acres of gardens! This could take a while... :D
Huge garden, you have! Wow! I rent a cottage on 6 acres w/ 2 other houses. Landlord and their daughter/husband are moving in soon. I usually do container planting. Try to fool the deer and other critters. Tomatoes and all kinds of annuals. Basil, too.

Cut just below the grouping of 5 leaves, I think.

You telling me I need to buy a cow to feed my plant?

Talk about little shop of horrors.

I don't think it will fit on my balcony!
A miniature cow. They sell balcony size.

You can buy a good slow release fertilizer. Once you've pruned it, just let it grow. How often it blooms depends on what type of rose it is. But it WILL bloom more than once a year, Jo.

Give Spooky his cow back. He needs to fertilizer his neighbor's grave.
How else is a dead guy supposed to come back to life.

OFG, your garden is gorgeous!!

jennontheisland
04-24-2008, 05:29 AM
I've got some bulbs just poking up, and the thyme, oregano and lavender are all greening up.

The Man is in charge of tomatoes and I'll be doing everything else. Basil, rosemary, dill, sage, arugula, peas, zucchini, cucumbers, and lettuce by the front porch for the bunny (I'm hoping if I feed him near his home, he'll stay away from the rest of the garden).

Soccer Mom
04-24-2008, 05:32 AM
Beautiful garden OGF!

My garden is a mix of tilled ground and containers. We are about to get pounded by a rainstorm. I hope it doesn't hail. :(

Soccer Mom
04-24-2008, 05:40 AM
I grow things in my garden for my bunnies, Jenn (but they are the domestic pet variety).

SpookyWriter
04-24-2008, 05:42 AM
I grow things in my garden for my bunnies, Jenn (but they are the domestic pet variety).I like rabbit stew.

JoNightshade
04-24-2008, 05:46 AM
The Man is in charge of tomatoes and I'll be doing everything else.

Is there some sort of weird attraction between men and tomatoes? My dad has obsessed over growing the best tomatoes every year since I was about six. Nothing else. Just tomatoes.

SpookyWriter
04-24-2008, 05:52 AM
Is there some sort of weird attraction between men and tomatoes? My dad has obsessed over growing the best tomatoes every year since I was about six. Nothing else. Just tomatoes.;) Wait till you...

Rolling Thunder
04-24-2008, 05:57 AM
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u270/Rllgthunder/treepumpkin.jpg

Tree pumpkins...:D

jennontheisland
04-24-2008, 06:01 AM
Is there some sort of weird attraction between men and tomatoes? My dad has obsessed over growing the best tomatoes every year since I was about six. Nothing else. Just tomatoes.

Dunno, but last year he had the cherry tomatoes producing bunches. They looked like big red grapes! I couldn't give them away fast enough. This year I'm going to try canning and saucing them.

reigningcatsndogs
04-24-2008, 06:29 AM
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u270/Rllgthunder/treepumpkin.jpg

Tree pumpkins...:D

:ROFL:we freaked out the neighbors by planting a bunch of pumpkins under our trees. They grew up and into the apricot tree... and they were beautiful, perfect round pumpkins without any blemishes at all (until we left em too long and a couple of them smashed to the ground, but the birds didn't think that was so bad :))

Rolling Thunder
04-24-2008, 06:33 AM
:ROFL:we freaked out the neighbors by planting a bunch of pumpkins under our trees. They grew up and into the apricot tree... and they were beautiful, perfect round pumpkins without any blemishes at all (until we left em too long and a couple of them smashed to the ground, but the birds didn't think that was so bad :))

That pumpkin was in the back yard of a customer I did work for last year. He likes to grow 'Big Max' pumpkins for fun. He swears he would measure a few in the morning and come home in the afternoon only to find they grew inches bigger during the day. Some of the ones I saw were in the 150 pound range and bigger.

I was thinking of giving them a try...but he warned me growing them can be addictive. So I'm steering clear. :D

KrishnaJewel
04-24-2008, 12:33 PM
Whats In My Garden?

The dog, the cat and the man...

but not me!

I hate gardening, I cook the results...but someone else has to grow it...lol

KrishnaJewel
04-24-2008, 12:56 PM
OFG, your garden is gorgeous!!

every time I see OFG, I automatically read it as Oh F**cking God...

:Wha:

Nakhlasmoke
04-24-2008, 01:08 PM
Hahah KrishnaJewel, me too.

We are heading into autumn, but I have one tomato plant, a bunch of aubergines, and a few banana plants. Oh and under the weeds I found one turnip, and some kale.

It has been a craptastic year for cat's garden, alas.

samgail
04-24-2008, 01:08 PM
http://here is my back yard/garden (http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j10/mvandal/IMGP1128.jpg)

http://this is where my herbs are (http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j10/mvandal/IMGP1130.jpg)
These pics are from last fall

I container garden so i can use seedlings from my parents greenhouse. Our growing season is just barely long enough to allow plants to produce.
I have all my favorite herbs in the side garden and on the back yard I have lots of flowers, strawberries, rasberries and at least ten tomato plants, an early salad garden-lettuce&radishes-and my beloved peas. Everything else I get from my parents and my MIL. She is a farm wife and has a 2 acre show garden that feeds us all winter. I do not have to buy canned veges from a grocery store, I LOVE it. This year i am going to help my SIL plant her first garden. Should be fun and i will finally be able to utilize all the slave kid labor like my parents did when i was growing up! I am looking forward to it. Later this summer i will be giving away zucchini:D

HeronW
04-24-2008, 02:05 PM
We're waiting for the cactus flowers to bloom-they do for just 1-2 days a year--just gorgeous

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-24-2008, 03:28 PM
Dunno, but last year he had the cherry tomatoes producing bunches. They looked like big red grapes! I couldn't give them away fast enough. This year I'm going to try canning and saucing them.

Listen to the voice of experience: freeze 'em. I admit I loved the sound of those little lids going 'tink' when I canned, but THE WORK!

every time I see OFG, I automatically read it as Oh F**cking God...

:Wha:

Not too long after I joined, someone gave me a rep point that started with 'OFG'... I thought the same thing! Thought someone was reacting with disdain to whatever I'd posted! True story. Took days for me to figure out it was just my initials. :D

SPMiller
04-24-2008, 03:49 PM
http://this is where my herbs are (http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j10/mvandal/IMGP1130.jpg)
And what kinda herbs you got in there? Wink wink, nudge nudge.

I don't do a garden every year, but I tend to go for the impossible-to-screw-up tomato and jalapeno plants. They're impossible to screw up in Texas, anyway.

Siddow
04-24-2008, 03:58 PM
The only edible I have right now is oregano. Dang, that stuff is hardy. It's in a big pot on the back deck, may have to pick up some basil to put with it, and some thyme.

The most impressive flowers in my yard right now are the tulips by the mailbox and the azaleas in the front beds. All the roses are budding, should be blooming before long. That'll be nice. I love my roses.

Carole
04-24-2008, 04:19 PM
My garden is just starting to pop up. I have two types of corn, two types of potatoes, three types of tomatoes, yellow squash, yellow onions, head lettuce, thyme, basil, peppermint, cantaloupe and three kinds of peppers so far. I have more to plant this weekend. two days ago, I noticed little babies peeking their heads out of the dirt throughout the garden. so we're rockin' and rollin' now! Bah - and everyone told me it was too early to plant.

Robin
04-24-2008, 04:23 PM
I have tomatoes, bell peppers, basil, thyme, cilantro, and strawberries growing on my patio right now. And the fig trees I planted last fall are shooting up faster than I expected. How long does it take before they bear fruit?

I wish I could plant an oil well in my back yard.

Carole
04-24-2008, 04:24 PM

Haha!! Me too! Or a money tree. :)

NeuroFizz
04-24-2008, 04:44 PM
Asparagus - five to six spears every second or third day - no signs of slowing down yet (been going for a couple of weeks like this)

Tomato - young plants, three varieties

Cucumber - two hills just leafing out

Blueberries - about half-size

Peaches (Carolina Belle)- tree is full, about dime sized, soon time to thin them out

Cherry Tree - set its first blossoms this year (only about six or seven flowers. Not sure if any will set fruit)

Apple Tree (Golden Delicious) - in flower, but took a beating during the hail storm two nights ago

Blackberry plants - just flowering

Raspberry plant - just leafing out and thinking about flowering.

Pear tree - too young to fruit, but leafing out nicely

Grape vines - two varieties. Excellent growth on the arbor, immature grape clusters everywhere, but also took a beating from the hail.

Plum Tree - just starting to show green at buds, too young to fruit

Flowers - already been and gone = daffodils, grape hyacinths, huge ornamental pear tree, azaleas

Flowers - coming on or in flower = two kinds of Clematis, daylilies, Indian Hawthorne, dutch iris, rose, various other flowering vines, hydrangea, magnolia tree, chrysanthemum, pansy, dianthus, gladiolus, lisianthus, other assorted flowers.

SPMiller
04-24-2008, 04:47 PM
I have tomatoes, bell peppers, basil, thyme, cilantro, and strawberries growing on my patio right now. And the fig trees I planted last fall are shooting up faster than I expected. How long does it take before they bear fruit?

I too planted a fig tree last year, and it's already growing like a weed--shockingly fast. Don't be surprised if yours fruit this year.

Sarita
04-24-2008, 05:04 PM
I too planted a fig tree last year, and it's already growing like a weed--shockingly fast. Don't be surprised if yours fruit this year.We have a terrible climate for fruit trees, except for apple. Boo!

Right now, I've got all my herbs planted: basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, parsely, cilantro. I'm waiting for another week or so to plant the veggies, beets, carrots, lettuce, tomatoes, cukes, maybe fennel, and a few others. I love gardening. In my next life, I want to be an earthworm. ;)

reigningcatsndogs
04-24-2008, 05:05 PM
That pumpkin was in the back yard of a customer I did work for last year. He likes to grow 'Big Max' pumpkins for fun. He swears he would measure a few in the morning and come home in the afternoon only to find they grew inches bigger during the day. Some of the ones I saw were in the 150 pound range and bigger.

I was thinking of giving them a try...but he warned me growing them can be addictive. So I'm steering clear. :D

Last year when we cleaned out the garden, we had to use the tractor and bucket to pick up the pumpkins and squash. It's incredible how fast they grow, but the season was perfect. Now if I could just get the watermelons to do that... but they are a bit of a challenge up here.;)

Tink
04-24-2008, 05:12 PM
Just planted sweet corn and tomatoes. The weather here has been too crazy to plant much else but my French Lilac Tree is budding beautifully. The tiger lillies are sprouting and my drarf chinese elms are becoming giants...oh and the grass is growing faster than i can afford the gas to fill the lawn mower with.

truelyana
04-24-2008, 07:34 PM
A pile of old rubbish, a garage and lots of building things, as our loft is currently being extended and a rear dormer added to one side of it. Oh yeah, without forgetting lots of cement, and a sandpit for the older cat to toilet in. :D

Tink
04-24-2008, 07:38 PM
A pile of old rubbish, a garage and lots of building things, as our loft is currently being extended and a rear dormer added to one side of it. Oh yeah, without forgetting lots of cement, and a sandpit for the older cat to toilet in. :D

Sounds identical to the the one I had when I 1st bought my place....:)

truelyana
04-24-2008, 07:42 PM
Sounds identical to the the one I had when I 1st bought my place....:)

Nice to know, someone know's what I am talking about. :) The garden is also quite small, so I'm not sure whether my parents will use it for planting later in life. They already have three houses in Portugal, and one of which has plenty of vegetables and fruit trees growing. Nothing beats home grown.

maestrowork
04-24-2008, 07:48 PM
http://tropictreasurestore.com/images/s-1285.jpg

Tink
04-24-2008, 07:56 PM
http://tropictreasurestore.com/images/s-1285.jpg

Hey, when you did you come by and take pictures of my front lawn????

writerterri
04-24-2008, 08:20 PM
Oh, I thought we were going to talk about something else.

darn

Tink
04-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Oh, I thought we were going to talk about something else.

darn

Whatcha' wanta' discussa' ...ummm, sorry about the accent, I have been watching way too many old Italian movies lately....:)

writerterri
04-24-2008, 08:29 PM
Whatcha' wanta' discussa' ...ummm, sorry about the accent, I have been watching way too many old Italian movies lately....:)

What was in my lady garden. But nevermind. I was going to compare. Nothing to compare to. It's a different garden. All. To. Gether.

So, nevermind. I'll keep my tools to myself.

Tink
04-24-2008, 08:36 PM
What was in my lady garden. But nevermind. I was going to compare. Nothing to compare to. It's a different garden. All. To. Gether.

So, nevermind. I'll keep my tools to myself.

Its ookkaayy, we can compare tools...now lets see...I have a shovel, a hoe, a rake, a tiller, a couple pair of dirty gloves w/holes in the fingertips(which is heck on the manicure) a wheelbarrow, etc.:D

mscelina
04-24-2008, 08:46 PM
at the moment? All I have in MY garden are rabbits and dandelions.

*sigh*

Tink
04-24-2008, 08:52 PM
at the moment? All I have in MY garden are rabbits and dandelions.

*sigh*
I envey you...less upkeep :D

mscelina
04-24-2008, 08:54 PM
yep. it does manage to eliminate that whole planting-weeding-watering-harvesting part.

Soccer Mom
04-25-2008, 12:19 AM
Okay. Garden update. :(

I have to post now while I'm at work because I have no power at home. I logged off shortly after that post about storms coming and boy did they come.

Five inches of rain, straight line winds, and hail. My garden looks like its been stomped by dinosaurs. :(

My roses have no more petals. The ornamental grasses are laying flat. My hanging baskets were full of ice (hail) this morning.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-25-2008, 01:52 AM
Oh, no! I hate hail ALMOST as much as I hate tornadoes.

So much, we built a frame around the tomato bed... shade cloth and bird netting take care of two of the three greatest threats to mama's tomatoes. :)

Rolling Thunder
04-25-2008, 03:24 AM
Aw, sorry to hear that, SoccerMom.

I just put in some tomatoes, cucumbers, and marigolds. Tomorrow I plan to get some corn planted. It's been unusually warm the past few days and my radishes and lettuce has sprouted already, in less than a week. :)

Now I have to keep my eye on the bunnies. I hate bunnies. Live bunnies, that is. :D

writerterri
04-25-2008, 03:46 AM
Its ookkaayy, we can compare tools...now lets see...I have a shovel, a hoe, a rake, a tiller, a couple pair of dirty gloves w/holes in the fingertips(which is heck on the manicure) a wheelbarrow, etc.:D

Okay!

I have a rose bush!

Your garden must be big, no?:tongue

truelyana
04-25-2008, 03:48 AM
Okay. Garden update. :(

I have to post now while I'm at work because I have no power at home. I logged off shortly after that post about storms coming and boy did they come.

Five inches of rain, straight line winds, and hail. My garden looks like its been stomped by dinosaurs. :(

My roses have no more petals. The ornamental grasses are laying flat. My hanging baskets were full of ice (hail) this morning.

That's interesting, as I caught some whilst I was out shopping. I went in for the kill, for fun. :D Sorry to hear about your garden, but something great will come out of this. Just you watch. :Hug2:

truelyana
04-25-2008, 03:49 AM

I just put in some tomatoes, cucumbers, and marigolds. Tomorrow I plan to get some corn planted. It's been unusually warm the past few days and my radishes and lettuce has sprouted already, in less than a week. :)

Now I have to keep my eye on the bunnies. I hate bunnies. Live bunnies, that is. :D

Mmmm rabbit, I mean bunnies. *flop flop slice* :tongue

reigningcatsndogs
04-25-2008, 03:56 AM

I plant my corn in small patches, and plant a new batch every week to 10 days until the area is full. Last year I had six different patches, and it made fresh corn-eating season last about a six weeks longer than usual, with no tough corn and none going to waste. It is supposed to like being planted in patches better than being planted in rows for polination purposes.

Soccer Mom
04-25-2008, 05:53 PM
I like to do repeat plantings with my green bean crops. I'll plant new ones every couple of weeks. That way I have fresh ones all summer long. I plant different varieties too to make it interesting.

Well, looks like I will have to replant squash and zucchini. Most of my tomatoes look okay, but the row of yellow ones (golden boy and lemon boys mostly) look pretty bedraggled. They were the smallest and I'm not sure if they will bounce back or start to rot.

The eggplants are missing. :Shrug: I dunno where they went but they're simply gone. Guess I'm gonna have to replant those.

Oh well. Just another spring gardening in Texas.

And more storms are predicted this afternoon.

Robin
04-26-2008, 02:41 AM
I couldn't help myself. I stopped by Home Depot and picked up some okra, zucchini, and cucumbers. And sweet potatoes, but I have no clue where I'll put them.

Do I win the earliest tomato award?
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2154/2441983980_09d347b13d_m.jpg

Soccer Mom
04-26-2008, 03:24 AM
OMG! I'm so jealous! I can't wait for the first green tomatoes. Dip them in buttermilk, roll them in cornmeal, and then fry them.

Nom!