PDA

View Full Version : The BIC and actually writing challenge

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

reigningcatsndogs
04-24-2008, 02:26 AM
:Lecture:Do you turn on your computer in the morning, promising yourself you WILL get something done on your WIP today?

:flag:Do you find yourself finishing your fifth cup of tea/coffee, three hours and twenty-seven (non-counting) posts (because they are mostly in OP or TIO) later, still reading, laughing and spraying beverages at your computer screen?

Do we have a plan for you!:whip:

Cranky, Anis and I have decided we would report daily what we are doing on our WIPs... challenge ourselves to keep up with ach other, motivate ourselves, regardless of genre, to get our butts in the chair, and our fingers ACTUALLY WRITING! There may be prizes (virtual cookies, smoochies, whatever happens to be free -- oh yeah, rep points!! They're free) or not.

I know there are threads on some of the genre forums for people to record their accomplishments and to encourage us to write. (But for some of us, the Comedy forum is one where, once you get there, you will never leave, and Horror... well, those guys sorta skeer me) :scared:Mystery has one as well (don't wanna leave you guys out cause you know too many ways to do away with someone and then hide the evidence) and if you need a boost or motivation, can check them out as well.

Please feel free to join in and post your daily progress in hours, words, pages, whatever. Words of enouragement are always welcome. Flowers, standing ovations, cash money... they would all work as well when it comes to motivation. ;)

czjaba
04-24-2008, 02:37 AM
:Lecture:Do you turn on your computer in the morning, promising yourself you WILL get something done on your WIP today?

:flag:Do you find yourself finishing your fifth cup of tea/coffee, three hours and twenty-seven (non-counting) posts (because they are mostly in OP or TIO) later, still reading, laughing and spraying beverages at your computer screen?

Do we have a plan for you!:whip:

;)

I feel like you are pointing directly at me. So, yes, count me in. I'm getting soooo far behind on edits. I set myself a schedule and can't keep to it. But with a little helping, pushing, and knocking me back on track, I should be able to get some serious editing done in a good time frame. :D
So, is this the thread we report to each morning? Or what do you have in mind?

Cranky
04-24-2008, 02:39 AM
Nice place, Mary. Thanks for setting us up!

*cough*

Will attempt to report in later this evening, or first thing tomorrow morning for today's output.

http://www.businessweek.com/2000/00_48/photo1/bw45430.jpg

Here we go!

reigningcatsndogs
04-24-2008, 02:41 AM
Welcome aboard! Yup, this is where we report, where we encourage, where we :poke: when need be. While trying to accomodate everyone's schedule, if you check in every day, we can nudge when necessary. At the end of the day works, or at the beginning of the next day...

JoNightshade
04-24-2008, 02:42 AM
Oh, oh, oh, count me in. My goal is 2K per day every week day, except for Wednesday, when it's 1K because I have to go in to work that day.

Please beat me over the head if you don't see my word count ticker go up (see signature).

Goal: 98K before tomorrow.

I... wow. I better get started.

ETA: Whoops, today is actually wednesday, so only 97K before tomorrow. :)

reigningcatsndogs
04-24-2008, 02:42 AM
I feel like you are pointing directly at me. So, yes, count me in. I'm getting soooo far behind on edits. I set myself a schedule and can't keep to it. But with a little helping, pushing, and knocking me back on track, I should be able to get some serious editing done in a good time frame. :D
So, is this the thread we report to each morning? Or what do you have in mind?

I was!! But only with one finger... all the others were pointing back at me!

reigningcatsndogs
04-24-2008, 02:43 AM
Oh, oh, oh, count me in. My goal is 2K per day every week day, except for Wednesday, when it's 1K because I have to go in to work that day.

Please beat me over the head if you don't see my word count ticker go up (see signature).

Goal: 98K before tomorrow.

I... wow. I better get started.

ETA: Whoops, today is actually wednesday, so only 97K before tomorrow. :)

Okey dokey... we're watching!

WendyNYC
04-24-2008, 02:44 AM
I'm in, starting Monday if that's ok. I'm taking my planned 2 weeks off between finishing my rough draft and starting edits. And this thing needs WORK. A lot of work.

This week I'm just writing cover letters and submitting a short story to lit mags.

stormie
04-24-2008, 02:45 AM
I'll just watch you guys. :D

reigningcatsndogs
04-24-2008, 02:46 AM
We'll be watching for you on Monday, Wendy! :)

stormie
04-24-2008, 02:52 AM
http://re3.yt-thm-a04.yimg.com/image/25/f11/151193240

WendyNYC
04-24-2008, 02:54 AM
Come smack me around if I don't show up.

wyntermoon
04-24-2008, 02:59 AM
I, er, need some help. I haven't written significantly on my WIP in a month - my family asks me if y'all still let me on the board since I don't "write" anymore. sigh.

Will trade chocolate for wordcount. :D

JoNightshade
04-24-2008, 03:06 AM
Wynter - want to set a goal? Make it something reasonable. (That way we know when to start hitting you.)

reigningcatsndogs
04-24-2008, 03:16 AM
Wynter - want to set a goal? Make it something reasonable. (That way we know when to start hitting you.)

Good idea, Jo! Anyone who wants to, let us know what your goal is and we'll help.

reigningcatsndogs
04-24-2008, 03:17 AM
I, er, need some help. I haven't written significantly on my WIP in a month - my family asks me if y'all still let me on the board since I don't "write" anymore. sigh.

Will trade chocolate for wordcount. :D

virtual chocolate works -- its got fewer calories :)
The more the merrier! :Hug2:

Cranky
04-24-2008, 03:18 AM
Good idea, Jo! Anyone who wants to, let us know what your goal is and we'll help.

Are we talkin' writing time, word counts, either or, or both? :D

wyntermoon
04-24-2008, 03:20 AM
Due to crazy work schedules, let's set my goal at 400-500/day.

whittle whittle whittle.

reigningcatsndogs
04-24-2008, 03:26 AM
I would think whatever works for you... word count, pages/chapters, hours... it might depend on what you're doing... getting submissions out is time consuming, but doesn't add word count or pages, so I think it should be whatever you need it to be for you.

Wyntermoon -- 400-500 a day is great! A very wise man once told me that if I wrote 100 words a day I would have ... (oh poop, now I forgot...it was the name of a really really really big book...) written in a year. :tongue

** i should apparently listen to very wise men more often, and pay better attention

davids
04-24-2008, 03:27 AM
Mary what is a WIP? you mean like Lash La Rue or sumpin?

reigningcatsndogs
04-24-2008, 03:29 AM
Mary what is a WIP? you mean like Lash La Rue or sumpin?

sumpin like that... it could be we just need to know there are lobster claws nipping at our bee-hinds to get us moving! :tongue

wyntermoon
04-24-2008, 03:32 AM
Yikes! Gotta watch those crazy claws!

davids
04-24-2008, 03:33 AM
now dear popsicle what the heck you know about lobstah claws huh huh?

nybx4life
04-24-2008, 03:33 AM
Well, I want to try to finish re-working the chapters I have, but I need a bit more opinions of my first chapter.
Mainly, get my chapters finished, post it, and wait until I have enough of an overall opinion to continue either editing the chapter or continuing my next one.

If anybody wants to check my work, it's in the Sci-fi/Fantasy SYW forums.
Need decent critiques, if you plan to look at it.

reigningcatsndogs
04-24-2008, 03:40 AM
Well, I want to try to finish re-working the chapters I have, but I need a bit more opinions of my first chapter.
Mainly, get my chapters finished, post it, and wait until I have enough of an overall opinion to continue either editing the chapter or continuing my next one.

If anybody wants to check my work, it's in the Sci-fi/Fantasy SYW forums.
Need decent critiques, if you plan to look at it.

Well, if you want a prod with the writing end of it, we'll be happy to oblige! Time spent re-working and editing counts!

reigningcatsndogs
04-24-2008, 03:53 AM
Well, isn't this great. Look at Mary go. Mary, Mary, you're on my mind!

Today I:

-Wrote 6 poems

-Wrote a rough draft for a Facts & Arguments piece (the Canadians here will know what that is)

-Wrote a rough draft for an introduction speech for the writers' conference

-Wrote 3 pages (Word doc pages) of a WIP I've been trying to get down.

-Wrote a one page outline for the Muskoka Novel Marathon. (I will be writing a different one page outline every day from now until July 11th---when the marathon takes place. Come time for the marathon, I will bring my favourite one to use for my novel.)

-can I count all the crap I wrote at AW today. Volume alone will help make it look like I did a little more than I actually did! (Imagine if we could figure out our word count here... I know I wrote more words than are contained in that tiny book called the bible.)

THAT IS ALL.

*sigh* really? I'm really on your mind? you are so adorable!! *pinches Kev's cheek*

And Whoa!! Look at you go! And I was gonna get all cocky about my 4400 words on my WIP today!

If we can help when you're doing the marathon, let us know! I, for one, would be more than happy to play Indiana Jones with the seat of yer pants! ;)

nybx4life
04-24-2008, 03:58 AM
Alright, time to work on the second chapter.

The replies on the first are all focused on grammar apparently, so I'm not going to worry about that much.

reigningcatsndogs
04-24-2008, 04:04 AM
Say what with the seat of my pants, now???

I will happily accept sponsorship donations from anyone here at AW. I can receive them through Paypal and mail those who donate an official income tax receipt... but hey, I'm just puttin' it out there. I'd rather you (Yes... YOU, Mary...) and others actually join my BUM IN CHAIR on the weekend of.

There will be no standing for 72 hours... NOW that's BIC!

wow, you must have a reeeaaaaallllllly big chair! :tongue

send me the details.... I'm into challenges these days.

wyntermoon
04-24-2008, 04:06 AM
THROWDOWN. This is gonna be fun.

For the record, Kevin, you're a machine. :Hail:

reigningcatsndogs
04-24-2008, 04:16 AM
FUNNY YOU SHOULD ASK. I JUST POSTED ALL OF THEM IN THIS THREAD:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100407

:ROFL: You never disappoint!! I woulda gone looking for the thread... thanks for saving me some time so I could concentrate on my WIP some more.

Cranky
04-24-2008, 04:17 AM
No, Kev, I'm not worthy. I've gotten a paltry 200+ words in today, bringing my new short to a nice, even 1000k. I have no idea how long this sucker's gonna be.

But, I am not done for the day yet, so hopefully...ah hell, who'm I kidding?

I salaam before you all.

reigningcatsndogs
04-24-2008, 04:19 AM
No, Kev, I'm not worthy. I've gotten a paltry 200+ words in today, bringing my new short to a nice, even 1000k. I have no idea how long this sucker's gonna be.

But, I am not done for the day yet, so hopefully...ah hell, who'm I kidding?

I salaam before you all.

Good Grief! You're a mom with little crankettes running all over the place! Don't sneeze at 200 words today! That's awesome.

Cranky
04-24-2008, 04:21 AM
Good Grief! You're a mom with little crankettes running all over the place! Don't sneeze at 200 words today! That's awesome.

Well, I ain't done yet, so I'll sneeze if I want to, blast it! LOL

I'm hoping to add at least another 200 tonight. If I exceed that, awesomeness abounds. If not, ah well.

If I don't make it, I submit myself here for more prodding. :D

Oh, and I should report on the Horror forum, to get my whipping from Jeanne! :D

reigningcatsndogs
04-24-2008, 04:37 AM
Okay *insert drumroll here* Here is the first WIP report...

Today I managed a hair over 5000 words, 18 pages, 4 hours of writing time. I am done writing for today! Gonna go and rest the wing.

Thanks to everyone for the great prod!

wyntermoon
04-24-2008, 04:38 AM
SWEEET! Awesome job today, go rest your fingers!

czjaba
04-24-2008, 04:58 AM
WOW Mary! You did a lot. :Thumbs:

and Kevin, all I can say is :Hail:

As for me, I only edited about 8 pages of new WIP. I still have a completed third draft that is a little over half way done. My goal for tomorrow is to have at least 3 more chapters of polished before I work on the new WIP.
I will fix my sig line and try to update it everyday to show my progress.

Cranky
04-24-2008, 05:04 AM
Okay *insert drumroll here* Here is the first WIP report...

Today I managed a hair over 5000 words, 18 pages, 4 hours of writing time. I am done writing for today! Gonna go and rest the wing.

Thanks to everyone for the great prod!

Great work, Mary!

reigningcatsndogs
04-24-2008, 05:09 AM

As for me, I only edited about 8 pages of new WIP. I still have a completed third draft that is a little over half way done. My goal for tomorrow is to have at least 3 more chapters of polished before I work on the new WIP.

That's not an 'only' kind of statement. Good work.

JoNightshade
04-24-2008, 05:57 AM
I am back! Okay, I have officially written 1,000 words today. (My sig was actually 1k behind, which is why it jumped up to 98k.)

ETA: After some wonderful help over in the Sandbox. Love you guys.

reigningcatsndogs
04-24-2008, 06:09 AM
Yahoo!!! Way to go, Jo!! :hooray:

czjaba
04-24-2008, 06:11 AM
Good job, Jo! Woo-hoo!

Cranky
04-24-2008, 06:22 AM
I am back! Okay, I have officially written 1,000 words today. (My sig was actually 1k behind, which is why it jumped up to 98k.)

ETA: After some wonderful help over in the Sandbox. Love you guys.

Good job, Jo! That was a funny thread, btw. I had nothing useful to contribute, but it was fun to read. :D

Cranky
04-24-2008, 06:24 AM

I'd say editing isn't just "only"...it's one of the most (if not THE) important parts of the process.

Well done!

ETA: As Mary informs me that brainstorming also counts as BIC time, then my total (so to speak) is a bit better. I've been beating my brains in over this story since I woke up this morning, and I'll probably be thinking about it some more before I slip off to sleep tonight.

Actual pen-to-paper brainstorming...a couple hours plus some wadded up notebook paper and some PM's. :D

Ken
04-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Great job with the set up Mary. :)
*pats her on the back*
Yesterday, Wednesday, I got in 5 1/2 hours total.
One hour of it was wasted time as I wound up having to cut the material.
So put me down for 4 1/2 hours.
Hopefully I'll be as productive today, though I rather doubt it.
I feel a streak of laziness creepin' into me.

kct webber
04-24-2008, 04:06 PM

Quick! Grab it by the tail before it burrows any deeper!

reigningcatsndogs
04-24-2008, 04:46 PM
Great job with the set up Mary. :)
*pats her on the back*
Yesterday, Wednesday, I got in 5 1/2 hours total.
One hour of it was wasted time as I wound up having to cut the material.
So put me down for 4 1/2 hours.
Hopefully I'll be as productive today, though I rather doubt it.

Wow! Awesome job. :hooray:I wondered where you had disappeared to all day yesterday!

Thanks for coming up with the idea for this thread! It got me motivated, and I think a few others as well, so its all good! :Hug2:

Ken
04-24-2008, 05:28 PM
you're the one runnin' the ship, Mary :)
You've got great people appeal,
and always know just what to say to brighten up everybody's day.
As to me I'll stay down below in the hold, cookin' up grub for the crew and passengers, and popping up every now and then to say :hi:

Cranky
04-24-2008, 06:10 PM
Good job, anis! *applause* :D

I did some more stuff yesterday after I was supposed to be asleep (12:30 a.m. actually wasn't too bad a time to work after all). I got a title for my new piece and a new intro. Plus, earlier, (and with Mary's help *hat tip*) I came up with a way to work in a tricky element. I expanded on that last night -actually this morning, now that I think of it- and I've got a new intro and two pages of notes.

Yay for brainstorming! Thanks for the thread, anis and Mary. :Hug2:

reigningcatsndogs
04-24-2008, 06:16 PM
Good job, anis! *applause* :D

I did some more stuff yesterday after I was supposed to be asleep (12:30 a.m. actually wasn't too bad a time to work after all). I got a title for my new piece and a new intro. Plus, earlier, (and with Mary's help *hat tip*) I came up with a way to work in a tricky element. I expanded on that last night -actually this morning, now that I think of it- and I've got a new intro and two pages of notes.

Yay for brainstorming! Thanks for the thread, anis and Mary. :Hug2:

Glad it's helping, Cranky!! :hooray:

reigningcatsndogs
04-24-2008, 06:19 PM
you're the one runnin' the ship, Mary :)
You've got great people appeal,
and always know just what to say to brighten up everybody's day.
As to me I'll stay down below in the hold, cookin' up grub for the crew and passengers, and popping up every now and then to say :hi:

Glad I didn't title this thread 'Titanic'! :Hug2:

Ken
04-24-2008, 07:42 PM
LOL Mary :D
though in some ways callin' this thread the Titanic might've spiced things up,
encouraging some guy and gal here to have an onboard romance!

Way to go Cranky. Titles and intros are often the hardest part of pieces, because you have to know what not to include to avoid revealing to much.

Ken
04-24-2008, 08:23 PM
JoNightshade: goal = 9k per week // 2k on 4/24 //
WendyNYC: starting monday 27th
Stormie: "just watching"
wyntermoon: goal / 4-500wds per day // 250 on 4/24
davids: keepin up everybody's spirits
nybx4life: seeking beta reader // 1-2hrs editing on 4/24 //
ktc:
czjaba: progress posted in sig space // novel completed! / 4chpts/4hrs on 4/24 //
paprikapink: "observing"
kct webber:
KrishnaJewel: daily goal = update 2 blogs / write 3 articles & 1 s.story / work on 1 of 3 WIPs
Reigningcatsndogs: 6498 words/ 25 pages/ 5 hrs on 4/24 :-O
Mandy-Jane: goal = 5-15 minute plays by 5/31 // :whip:
BenBradley: AWOL
Cranky: 655 in 2 hours! on 4/24 //
Anis: 4 1/2 hrs/100wds on 4/23 // 3 1/2hrs/90wds on 4/24 /
Anybody Else...

Note: plz tabulate the daily # of hours you spend each day doing anything relating to writing and post them in this thread or PM them to Mary, Cranky, or me at the end of each day or week. (Include word count too if availble and the nature of the material.) Data to be assembled into a list and posted here, allowing us to chart our progress and compare our productivity for the sake of keeping ourselves motivated.

Winner of the friendly competition to be rewarded by mesmerizing Mary or coolster Cranky with scrumptuous virtual delicacies and whatnot. :Cake:

Loser of competition to have to spend an hour in a private thread with me discussing metaphysical topics! :e2violin:

*hours to be posted soon

JoNightshade
04-24-2008, 08:43 PM
Anis, my goal is 2K per day (total of 9K per week). I... it's hard for me to count BIC time because I don't write that way.

Anyway, so far 0K today. I better get working. :)

Cranky
04-24-2008, 08:51 PM
LOL Mary :D
though in some ways callin' this thread the Titanic might've spiced things up,
encouraging some guy and gal here to have an onboard romance!

Way to go Cranky. Titles and intros are often the hardest part of pieces, because you have to know what not to include to avoid revealing to much.

This one just started in the wrong way, I think...:)

Ken
04-24-2008, 09:01 PM
Anis, my goal is 2K per day (total of 9K per week). I... it's hard for me to count BIC time because I don't write that way.

Maybe just post your approximate word count then for each week, Mon-Sun, to see if you obtain your 9K goal. If not, we'll be sure to get on your case ;)

paprikapink
04-24-2008, 09:48 PM
I want in!

But, wait, is this one of those exercise programs before which one should check with one's doctor? I mean, it's been so long since I've felt any sense of accomplishment...will my head explode? What if I...what if I...my cod! What if I got something done?? People would start to expect things of me! I'd get all proud of myself. I'd get a big head! It might explode. This is scary.

Yeah, the concept is interesting. I'm just going to watch and see what happens to you people before I commit.

nybx4life
04-24-2008, 09:51 PM
Hey guys...
I've finished editing my first chapter.
Anybody know how to copy the link onto the page so I can show you guys?

reigningcatsndogs
04-24-2008, 10:00 PM
Hey guys...
I've finished editing my first chapter.
Anybody know how to copy the link onto the page so I can show you guys?

Way to go! Your best bet would be to post it in the Share Your Work forum... you can get great crits there, lots of help. ;)

But make sure you give us a word count or an idea of how much time you spent so we can add it into the total.

KrishnaJewel
04-24-2008, 11:33 PM
YES! This is exactly what I need!

Right now, what I have to do daily is:

Update two BW blogs
Do at least three articles
Write or edit at least one short story (and submit as an when I can.)
-or-
Work on one of three WIPs

What I did today is:
Updated one blog
Wrote three articles
*Sigh*

Lets see what tomorrow holds.

nybx4life
04-24-2008, 11:37 PM
Oh, I spent about an hour or two editing it.

And three days making that revised chapter to edit:)

reigningcatsndogs
04-25-2008, 12:40 AM
YES! This is exactly what I need!

Right now, what I have to do daily is:

Update two BW blogs
-or-

What I did today is:
Updated one blog
Wrote three articles
*Sigh*

Lets see what tomorrow holds.

Glad to have you join us! You did pretty good today! And tomorrow is another day!

reigningcatsndogs
04-25-2008, 12:41 AM
Oh, I spent about an hour or two editing it.

And three days making that revised chapter to edit:)

Good job! Did you get it posted in SYW?

czjaba
04-25-2008, 02:27 AM
Welcome to BIC, Krishna. Good job outlining your goals. Some days more happens, and some days, eeh. Just do the best you can with what you got.

Okay, here's my progress report for today: I got the entire novel completed! Yaayy! It was only about the 6th edit on the story, so it went quick and I had 4 chapters left after yesterday. (That's why my goal for today was 3 chapters, hoping I could wind it up by Friday) But I finished it a day ahead of schedule! I worked on it today off and on for a little over 4 solid hours.

(So now I have a reason to visit the drunk thread later -- psst, see ya there, Mary) :D

reigningcatsndogs
04-25-2008, 02:47 AM
Great Job, cz!! I still have a bit more to get done tonight, and then I'll probably meet you at the pub... now I gotta think about what to order...

reigningcatsndogs
04-25-2008, 03:38 AM
Okay, reporting in for today...

today I managed 6498 words/ 25 pages/ 5ish hours :e2faint:

Mandy-Jane
04-25-2008, 04:05 AM
Okay this sounds to be just what I need at this particular time. I have to write four or five smallish plays (15 minutes each) by the end of May. I'm horribly undisciplined and a procrastinator. Yes, I need help!

So with a five-week deadline, I guess my goals are:

1. Determine what my pieces will be about (I get to choose)
2. Write a first draft of each piece by, say, 16th May.
3. Do any editing/rewriting by the 30th May.

How does that sound?

reigningcatsndogs
04-25-2008, 04:29 AM
Okay this sounds to be just what I need at this particular time. I have to write four or five smallish plays (15 minutes each) by the end of May. I'm horribly undisciplined and a procrastinator. Yes, I need help!

So with a five-week deadline, I guess my goals are:

1. Determine what my pieces will be about (I get to choose)
2. Write a first draft of each piece by, say, 16th May.
3. Do any editing/rewriting by the 30th May.

How does that sound?

sounds like a heck of a plan, Mandy-Jane. We'll help with the odd :e2poke: when necessary! And welcome aboard!

Cranky
04-25-2008, 04:37 AM
Great job, everybody!

I'll be reporting in later tonight. (Night is my prime writing time) I just managed to talk my way out of playing Battlefront with the hubby to get more writing time after my little guy quits yelling, "Mommy! Mommy! Mommy!" I'll be paying for it later, however. LOL!

Kidz. *sigh*

Here's hoping for at least 3-4 hours and at least five hundred new words. (I edit as I go, so that's tricky...)

JoNightshade
04-25-2008, 04:46 AM
Well, I'm not throwing the towel in yet but so far I've got 1K on my WIP, and... 750 words planning out my first D&D campaign. I also did a bunch of work related stuff in the morning. I think if I do another 250 on the WIP, I'm gonna call it a day. :)

reigningcatsndogs
04-25-2008, 04:53 AM
Jo, way to stay on track! :D

Cranky, you're doing awesome too... juggling the mommy and the writer hats can be tricky! Good job. Can't wait to see your numbers.

Cranky
04-25-2008, 04:55 AM
*cringes*

You're the queen today, I suspect, Mary. :D I haven't done numbers like that since NaNo.

Prolly a good thing for me, though. That novella is tre horrible!

reigningcatsndogs
04-25-2008, 05:00 AM
*cringes*

You're the queen today, I suspect, Mary. :D I haven't done numbers like that since NaNo.

Prolly a good thing for me, though. That novella is tre horrible!

:ROFL:This one could be likewise!!

Cranky
04-25-2008, 05:02 AM
Nah. I'm just a freshman in the University of James Joyce School of Writing.

:D

One word at a time, agonized over like a gourmet dinner.

Funnily enough, it still comes out closer to a Big Mac than filet mignon...

JoNightshade
04-25-2008, 05:08 AM
Jo, way to stay on track! :D

Yeah, but I spent 750 words on something that was NOT my WIP! I thought you were supposed to yell at me. ;) Oh well, I guess writing is writing.

czjaba
04-25-2008, 05:09 AM
Mandy - sounds like one heckuva plan. Once you set goals on paper, it sounds like a commitment, so GOOD PLANNING STRATEGY!

Reign - OMG! You have been on a roll the past couple of days. WAY TO GO!

Jo - I understand where you're coming from. My work's gonna hit me hard tomorrow 'cause I've been kinda avoiding it the past few days. (Don't tell my boss, k?) But you are getting words on paper and that's what counts. Good job!

Cranky - did I read that right? You hope to get in another 500 words + and its after8pm? WOW! YOU GO GIRL!

JoNightshade
04-25-2008, 05:10 AM
reigning - just saw your word count. HOLY FRICKIN COW, how do you do that?!

Cranky
04-25-2008, 05:12 AM
Mandy - sounds like one heckuva plan. Once you set goals on paper, it sounds like a commitment, so GOOD PLANNING STRATEGY!

Reign - OMG! You have been on a roll the past couple of days. WAY TO GO!

Jo - I understand where you're coming from. My work's gonna hit me hard tomorrow 'cause I've been kinda avoiding it the past few days. (Don't tell my boss, k?) But you are getting words on paper and that's what counts. Good job!

Cranky - did I read that right? You hope to get in another 500 words + and its after8pm? WOW! YOU GO GIRL!

This is when I write, mostly. After the kids are asleep and the hubby's doing homework/watching wrestling/playing WoW. :D

Not so impressive really. I got some done very early this a.m. (mentioned earlier), but more needs to be done. Thanks, though.

Mary's definitely kicking butt and taking names!

reigningcatsndogs
04-25-2008, 05:18 AM
Yeah, but I spent 750 words on something that was NOT my WIP! I thought you were supposed to yell at me. ;) Oh well, I guess writing is writing.

You want, I can yell. :whip::whip::whip::whip::whip:

Now, quit slacking and get typing! (better? cause I'm really not good at this yelling stuff) That smilie would be much more motivating if he looked a tad more sinister!

But where I come from, writing is writing...

reigningcatsndogs
04-25-2008, 05:22 AM
I just lucked out and got all my little ducks in a row for a change! The story is flowing, the research is all done... now I just gotta hope it doesn't totally suck! ;)

It doesn't work this way all the time... and right now the weather is crumbing so I'm making hay while the... I'm not making hay cause... cr*p, there is no good way to make that work, is there?

wyntermoon
04-25-2008, 06:33 AM
Well I started. Then stopped. Then started again. Then I needed a cookie. And it went downhill after that. I wrote about 250 words and erased them as the worst crap that ever sprung from my fingertips and had another cookie.

Time to start over.

However, chatting with lostgirl about it tonight, she gave me some sound advice so I'm looking in from another angle, leaving the troublemakers behind for now and getting back to some serious googlie mooglies - my favorites. :D

Cranky
04-25-2008, 06:53 AM
Sounds like a good plan, wynter! :)

Drumroll please! I have managed to get 529 words in the last two hours. Yay me! What's more is that I don't think I'm done for the night. I don't know if I'll report on the final tally tonight, or if I'll do it tomorrow.

Either way...yay for words! :D

ETA: Scratch that. 655 words. I'm on a roll, bay-bee!

czjaba
04-25-2008, 07:10 AM
Sounds like a good plan, wynter! :)

Drumroll please! I have managed to get 529 words in the last two hours. Yay me! What's more is that I don't think I'm done for the night. I don't know if I'll report on the final tally tonight, or if I'll do it tomorrow.

Either way...yay for words! :D

:Hail: 655 in 2 hours?

:whip::whip: You're not counting your drunk thread posts, are ya?

And Wynter, have as many cookies as you want. In fact, put the cookie jar beside your keyboard and keep pounding away. Don't make me pull out the whip!

Cranky
04-25-2008, 07:13 AM
:Hail: 655 in 2 hours?

:whip::whip: You're not counting your drunk thread posts, are ya?

And Wynter, have as many cookies as you want. In fact, put the cookie jar beside your keyboard and keep pounding away. Don't make me pull out the whip!

Oooh, I get whippies in here, too! :D

Definitely keep the cookies close to hand. That's my game plan, anyway.

And no, I am not counting anything but WIP words. Promise. Gettin' back to it again, as a matter of fact. I'm gonna keep going until 11pm, I think. We'll see.

And Mary needs the salaams, not me, lol. I'm a slob next to her, hee hee.

benbradley
04-25-2008, 07:24 AM
<Ben peeks into thread...>

<feels fortunate to squish out 1,000 words per week of "real writing," than that's only for 90 minutes on Sunday nights>

< ... runs like holy hell from thread>

czjaba
04-25-2008, 07:26 AM
IMO, Mary's got it goin' on and should be declared QUEEN of B-I-C for this wild streak she's on.

czjaba
04-25-2008, 07:29 AM
*snags benbradly by the collar*

Whoa there, come back. It ain't so easy to sneak in and sneak outa this thread. 'Real writing' is nothing is snicker about. Using what time you have is extremely valuable and you're on the right/write track.

Ken
04-25-2008, 07:49 AM
put 3 1/2 hours in, today.
Spent 2 1/2 of them working on a tale, consisting of a single, 90 word long sentence.
The other hour may turn out to be wasted effort, depending on the outcome of an anticipated email from an editor tomorrow.

Very impressive productivity, everyone...including Ben!
Hang in their Wynter.
Erasing words is just as important as jotting 'em down.

Ken
04-25-2008, 08:27 AM
Stormie: "just watching" :popcorn:
wyntermoon: goal / 4-500wds per day // 250 & new angle on 4/24 // :idea:
ktc:
czjaba: progress posted in sig space // novel completed! / 4chpts/4hrs on 4/24 // :Clap:
kct webber:
KrishnaJewel: daily goal = update 2 blogs / write 3 articles & 1 s.story / work on 1 of 3 WIPs // 4/25, goal met -WIP//
Reigningcatsndogs "the Queen" :e2crown:: 6498 words/ 25 pages/ 5 hrs on 4/24
BenBradley: hopefully to return
IdiotsRUs : goal = 8k per week/1600day // starting mon
WittyandorIronic:goal = 1000 w.p.d., 6 days a week // start Sun
Cranky: 655 in 2 hours! + an additional 1/2hr on 4/24 // 4/25, 1 1/2hrs/501wds //
Anis: 4 1/2 hrs/100wds on 4/23 // 3 1/2hrs/90wds on 4/24 // 4/25, 2hrs //
Anybody Else...

Note: plz tabulate the daily # of hours you spend each day doing anything relating to writing and post them in this thread or PM them to Mary, Cranky, or me at the end of each day or week. (Include word count too if availble and the nature of the material.) Data to be assembled into a list and posted here, allowing us to chart our progress and compare our productivity for the sake of keeping ourselves motivated.

Winner of the friendly competition to be rewarded by mesmerizing Mary or coolster Cranky with scrumptuous virtual delicacies and whatnot. :Cake:

Loser of competition to have to spend an hour in a private thread with me discussing metaphysical topics! :Lecture:

reigningcatsndogs
04-25-2008, 04:10 PM
Hey, I'm just on a roll right now, that's all. This is NOT the norm for me. The planets have aligned, the weather is cooperating by being gross, the stuff is running from my head to my fingers and its working... next week I'll be back to normal. :tongue I promise!

reigningcatsndogs
04-25-2008, 04:12 PM
Ben, come back!!! I put on some really great music in here for you!!

'you are the dancing queen, young and sweet, only seventeen.....
dancing quee, feel the beat of the tambourine.....'

Mr Flibble
04-25-2008, 04:20 PM
ooh I'll join in -- it might motivate me to you know, actually write the damn thing.

So my goal, lets see, 8k a week? which equates to *calculates quickly* 1600 words each day I write.

As from Monday?

Actually I'm not doing to bad today. 800 already and it's only lunchtime. If only my internet would break, I'd probably mange 3 times as much :)

Ken
04-25-2008, 04:32 PM
Hey, I'm just on a roll right now, that's all. This is NOT the norm for me. The planets have aligned, the weather is cooperating by being gross, the stuff is running from my head to my fingers and its working... next week I'll be back to normal. :tongue I promise!

Promise no such thing Mary.
Retain that pace, if possible.
We'll be routing for you.

WittyandorIronic
04-25-2008, 06:54 PM
Wow... you are all so... motivating! :)
I am way impressed, and definitely could use this writing prompt myself. :)
I start work on Sunday, and my goal is 1000 w.p.d., 6 days a week. Mind if I join in?

And wow....6000 words and some change in one day?? Ride that train as long as you can chica!

reigningcatsndogs
04-25-2008, 07:34 PM
Wow... you are all so... motivating! :)
I am way impressed, and definitely could use this writing prompt myself. :)
I start work on Sunday, and my goal is 1000 w.p.d., 6 days a week. Mind if I join in?

And wow....6000 words and some change in one day?? Ride that train as long as you can chica!

Glad to have you along for the ride. We'll be watching for Sunday!;)

Cranky
04-25-2008, 08:37 PM
So far this morning, I've gotten in about an hour and half of work, and 501 words. I'll have to take a break for awhile to get my little guys lunch, then a nap, when I have to clean.

I'm hoping to get another 500 words tonight. We shall see.

This thread is working out great for motivating me! :D

KrishnaJewel
04-25-2008, 08:41 PM
Ok, so this is what needs to be done -- lets see how I do. I will post here again when in an hour - or two - an give a progress report on the blogs and articles. Its coming to the end of my 'day' (although its about 3am in the UK, I work [therefore live] on IST), so I dont know if I will get any work done on the WIPs.

Update two BW blogs
-or-

Ok, I updated the blogs and did two make that three articles (I did the third - yea me :D).

I also had my tea (dinner to you non-UK dwellers), watched some telly and spent some time with My Darling:heart: .

Now having a drink and contemplating my WIPs

reigningcatsndogs
04-25-2008, 09:05 PM
So far this morning, I've gotten in about an hour and half of work, and 501 words. I'll have to take a break for awhile to get my little guys lunch, then a nap, when I have to clean.

I'm hoping to get another 500 words tonight. We shall see.

This thread is working out great for motivating me! :D
:hooray: WAY TO GO!!!!! Glad it's working for you, Cranky! :Hug2:

reigningcatsndogs
04-25-2008, 09:06 PM
Ok, I updated the blogs and did two articles (I may do a third, not sure).

I also had my tea (dinner to you non-UK dwellers), watched some telly and spent some time with My Darling:heart: .

Now having a drink and contemplating my WIPs

so you're having a great day already...;) way to go!
All this productivity... we rawk!!

Ken
04-26-2008, 12:03 AM
JoNightshade: goal = 9k per week // 4/24, 2k //
wyntermoon: goal / 4-500wds per day // 4/24, 250 & new angle // 4/25, 350wds // 4/26,
nybx4life: seeking beta reader // 4/24, 1-2hrs editing // 4/25, 2nd chpt completed // 4/26, objective = complete 3rd chpt //
ktc:
czjaba: progress posted in sig space // novel completed! / 4/24, 4chpts/4hrs // :Clap:
kct webber:
KrishnaJewel: daily goal = update 2 blogs / write 3 articles & 1 s.story / work on 1 of 3 WIPs // 4/25, goal met -WIP// 4/26,
Reigningcatsndogs "the Queen" :e2crown:: 6498 words/ 25 pages/ 5 hrs on 4/24 // 3hrs/ 3933wds/13pgs // 4/26,
IdiotsRUs : goal = 8k per week/1600day // 4/25, 1650wds // 4/26,
WittyandorIronic:goal = 1000 w.p.d., 6 days a week // 4/26, goal=typed draft & jump start on week //
Kerr: goal=200wpd //4/26, :e2drown:
Cranky: 655 in 2 hours! + an additional 1/2hr on 4/24 // 4/25, 3.5 hrs/2000+wds // 4/26,
Anis: 4 1/2 hrs/100wds on 4/23 // 3 1/2hrs/90wds on 4/24 // 4/25, 3 hrs/25wds// 4/26,
Anybody Else...

Loser of competition to have to spend an hour in a private thread with me discussing metaphysical topics! :Lecture:

wyntermoon
04-26-2008, 12:17 AM
A quick one for me today, 350 words!

Cranky
04-26-2008, 12:19 AM
wyntermoon: goal / 4-500wds per day // 250 & new angle on 4/24 // :idea:
ktc:
czjaba: progress posted in sig space // novel completed! / 4chpts/4hrs on 4/24 // :Clap:
kct webber:
KrishnaJewel: daily goal = update 2 blogs / write 3 articles & 1 s.story / work on 1 of 3 WIPs // 4/25, goal met -WIP//
Reigningcatsndogs "the Queen" :e2crown:: 6498 words/ 25 pages/ 5 hrs on 4/24
IdiotsRUs : goal = 8k per week/1600day // starting mon
WittyandorIronic:goal = 1000 w.p.d., 6 days a week // start Sun
Cranky: 655 in 2 hours! + an additional 1/2hr on 4/24 // 4/25, 1 1/2hrs/501wds //
Anis: 4 1/2 hrs/100wds on 4/23 // 3 1/2hrs/90wds on 4/24 // 4/25, 2hrs //
Anybody Else...

Thanks for keeping track, anis.

BTW, discussing metaphysics doesn't sound so bad to me...

Of course, I don't have much of a clue what that actually is, so what do I know? LOL!

Mr Flibble
04-26-2008, 01:47 AM
OK, I know I said Monday, but this has given me the kick up the arse I needed. 1650 words.

Of course it was going to be MC getting to a certain place to meet an old aquaintence, and find out what's going on ( there's a religious war brewing). What actually happened is she found a load of dismembered corpses, including the head of her best friend, and then got arrested for treason. Ah well.

reigningcatsndogs
04-26-2008, 02:04 AM
OK, I know I said Monday, but this has given me the kick up the arse I needed. 1650 words.

Of course it was going to be MC getting to a certain place to meet an old aquaintence, and find out what's going on ( there's a religious war brewing). What actually happened is she found a load of dismembered corpses, including the head of her best friend, and then got arrested for treason. Ah well.

Glad you jumped in. Way to go. This is like a major bonus for ya.

Remind me never to pi** you off! I like me head right where it is.

reigningcatsndogs
04-26-2008, 02:37 AM
I got in a couple hours this morning -- 3. 3933 words, 13 pages.

Have a good weekend, all.

Ken
04-26-2008, 03:04 AM
Thanks for keeping track, anis.

BTW, discussing metaphysics doesn't sound so bad to me...

Of course, I don't have much of a clue what that actually is, so what do I know? LOL!

Glad to be doing something useful, for a change ;)
As far as I know metaphysics is just the study of the root or basis of all our basic assumptions about reality and ourselves we usually take for granted, like that one posed by Decartes: How do we know that others exist outside of our heads? Sure they look real and seem real, but so do the "people" we encounter in dreams. So how can we be sure that we're not just dreaming reality, etc... Metaphysical arguments follow along these lines, though substantially more persuasive than this.

Good to have you aboard early IdiotsRUs.
50 words above your daily target.
Cool!

Good weekend to you too Reigning. You did a great supportive job here so kick off them shoes, plop herself down in a recliner, and have a well deserved cold one...then hurry back.

Think I may settle down in a chair for awhile too. Been a rough week. Won't get into the details.

Keep pluggin' away everybody. The day is still young, and a whole weekend lies ahead.

Cranky
04-26-2008, 07:25 AM
Well, I have clocked another two hours, and I am up over 2,000 words. Chapter One is complete. I have revised the heck out of it, so I hope it's good! :D

I posted it in SYW, if anyone is interested in taking a peek (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100655).

nybx4life
04-26-2008, 07:39 AM
Well, I've written my second chapter, and it's up for viewing in the SYW forums.

I guess my beta readers are gonna have the role/privelage/duty to read the chapters from the first to last, and write their opinions on it.

I plan to write the third tomorrow.
How's THAT for BIC progress?

KrishnaJewel
04-26-2008, 01:17 PM
Ok...here are todays goals:

3 articles
Done :D

2 blogs

Spend at least an hour working on WIP 3
Spend at least an hour working regarding s. stories

Psst: what is BIC?

Ken
04-26-2008, 03:05 PM
good progress nybx, KrishnaJewel. and Cranky.
Right on track.

WittyandorIronic
04-26-2008, 03:10 PM
Alrighty... I'm officially clocking in for today. My goals today are to take my outline from sticky notes to typed draft, and maybe get a head start on my weekly goal. I also need to redo the floor plan for the second story for my characters house, as I changed some things while writing my sticky note outline. (ETA) I'm also going to rough draft the week before the start of my book for my characters, to put me in the right frame of reference and mood.

Krishna: BIC = Butt In Chair. A lot of people believe that on days when the writing isn't flowing it is important to still dedicate time to writing, or at least sitting in front of the computer. That way you develop the habit, and it should become easier over time. Good Luck on your goals today!

Nybx & Cranky: You guys are awesome. I don't really edit while I write, so my rough draft is REALLY rough. SYW is intimidating enough for me, lol. I'll take a look sometime today.

Ken
04-26-2008, 03:24 PM
neat to have you in the comp a day ahead, WittyandorIronic.
So I guess we should all line up at the start line and get going for today...

:e2cheer::e2cheer::e2cheer::e2cheer::e2cheer:

Mandy-Jane
04-26-2008, 03:51 PM
Okay, well as it's nightime here, I guess I can report on how I went during the day:

Not so good.

Can someone please babysit my kids so I can actually get some work done?

KrishnaJewel
04-26-2008, 04:27 PM
Krishna: BIC = Butt In Chair. A lot of people believe that on days when the writing isn't flowing it is important to still dedicate time to writing, or at least sitting in front of the computer. That way you develop the habit, and it should become easier over time. Good Luck on your goals today!

AH! Ok...well I have no problem with butt in chair...as I am always in front of the comp...its not getting side tracked or losing motivation that I struggle with.

(I thought it meant Because I Can -- which I like, cos its saying I will do this Because I Can :D So I am going to keep thinking of it that way :D)

Ok, what is SYW?

WittyandorIronic
04-26-2008, 04:43 PM
SYW = Share Your Work, usually referred to the Share Your Work Forum, where you can post pieces for others to critique.
The AW Dictionary (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21648) is a great post, one I reference all the time, lol.

And I like your Because I Can definition too, and I agree it is fitting! :)

Ken
04-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Okay, well as it's nightime here, I guess I can report on how I went during the day:

Not so good.

Can someone please babysit my kids so I can actually get some work done?

Now that it's nightime there why not put in an hour or so while the kids are asleep, Mandy, or maybe get up an hour early and do the same next morn...in a few days from now.

I like Because I Can, too.
So from now on BIC has a secret, double entendre ;)

Kerr
04-26-2008, 05:04 PM
:e2drown: Help! Okay Mary, as I'm feeling very low lately because of just this problem, I'm in. But like others, I'll keep my promises low, as it's Spring and the workload is high. At this point, even that hundred a day is looking good. That's half a novel by the end of the year. And two hundred brings me up to seventy thousand, a reasonable length. So lets say anything over 200w a day is reasonable progress.

So, as I've already been playing around in the threads this morning and it's now past time to leave for work, that means tonight I MUST get busy. I'll check in tomorrow. Happy progress everyone.

KrishnaJewel
04-26-2008, 06:23 PM
Ok...here are todays goals:

3 articles

2 blogs

Spend at least an hour working on WIP 3
Spend at least an hour working regarding s. stories

Cranky
04-26-2008, 06:28 PM
Good job, everybody! I'm on board with Because I Can as well. :D I like it!

Okay, because it's the weekend and one of my kiddos has an ear infection, I'm not expecting to get any words this morning. My goal for today is another 500 words on Theory by the end of the night. More if I can manage it, but that's really the minimum I wanna shoot for.

Good luck to us all on today's goals!

Ken
04-26-2008, 07:32 PM
I finally figured out how to format my cartoon strip.
So maybe I can get it in the mail this week.
That's my goal for the next few days.
Alongside 1 or 2 other projects, which are crawling along at a snail's pace.

WittyandorIronic
04-26-2008, 07:40 PM

:e2bear: you can do it!

lol. I debated between :e2cheer: :banana: :whip: :snoopy: or several others...so really you just get them all.

Ken
04-26-2008, 07:43 PM
I'll need them all!

Cranky
04-26-2008, 07:45 PM

Sweet!

Good job, anis, and good luck on the submission! You'll let us know how it goes, right? :D

Ken
04-26-2008, 10:15 PM
Sweet!

Good job, anis, and good luck on the submission! You'll let us know how it goes, right? :D

Thnx :) I will.
(2 month response time, so it'll be awhile)

Ken
04-27-2008, 03:46 AM
JoNightshade: goal = 9k per week // 4/24, 2k //
wyntermoon: goal / 4-500wds per day // 4/24, 250 & new angle // 4/25, 350wds // 4/26,
nybx4life: seeking beta reader // 4/24, 1-2hrs editing // 4/25, 2nd chpt completed // 4/26, objective = complete 3rd chpt //
ktc:
czjaba: progress posted in sig space // novel completed! / 4/24, 4chpts/4hrs // :Clap:
kct webber:
KrishnaJewel: daily goal = update 2 blogs / write 3 articles & 1 s.story / work on 1 of 3 WIPs // 4/25, goal met -WIP// 4/26,
Reigningcatsndogs "the Queen" :e2crown:: 6498 words/ 25 pages/ 5 hrs on 4/24 // 3hrs/ 3933wds/13pgs // 4/26, 1192wds/1.5hrs //
Mandy-Jane: goal = 5-15 minute plays by 5/31 // 3/4's of Draft done
IdiotsRUs : goal = 8k per week/1600day // 4/25, 1650wds // 4/26,
WittyandorIronic:goal = 1000 w.p.d., 6 days a week // 4/26, goal=typed draft & jump start on week // 4/27 goal: type outline, create characters, 1000wds min //
Kerr: goal=200wpd //4/26,
DragonHeart: goal = 1000wds
Cranky: 655 in 2 hours! + an additional 1/2hr on 4/24 // 4/25, 3.5 hrs/2000+wds // 4/26, breather // 4/27, :whip:
Anis: 4 1/2 hrs/100wds on 4/23 // 3 1/2hrs/90wds on 4/24 // 4/25, 3 hrs/25wds// 4/26, 5hrs //
Anybody Else...

WittyandorIronic
04-27-2008, 05:48 AM
:(
Typing up my outline draft turned into finding a large time line hole...which turned into being stumped. Hmph. Now I am debating some timing and pacing issues... hopefully I will still make my goals by tonight. 2 hours left, right?

I hope everyone else is having better luck! How are all of you doing?

reigningcatsndogs
04-27-2008, 07:43 AM
Dare I show my face in here....:gone:

The sun was out today... there was gardening that had to be done... and then for the first time this year I was able to just sit on the deck in the sunshine and have a drink... and the dog was sick... and my wrist was sore... :e2violin:

I got nothing.:Shrug: Not one lousy word on the WIP. :e2shrug:

WittyandorIronic
04-27-2008, 07:44 AM
<~~~~ Fail.

reigningcatsndogs
04-27-2008, 07:59 AM
:(
Typing up my outline draft turned into finding a large time line hole...which turned into being stumped. Hmph. Now I am debating some timing and pacing issues... hopefully I will still make my goals by tonight. 2 hours left, right?

I hope everyone else is having better luck! How are all of you doing?

You're gonna sleep on it, jump in the shower in the morning, and in the middle of washing your hair, the solution will jump out atcha, and you'll be back on track and make up for lost time. I know it will happen. Don't worry!!

I did zero words, zero hours of writing.... not one thing, so you're ahead of me in the effort department today!

Cranky
04-27-2008, 08:02 AM
<~~~~ Fail.

Nope. NOT a fail. You just start again tomorrow. Think of this as your day off, and you start fresh the next day. No worries in any event.

:Hug2:

I got squat done myself, and so I'm counting it as a day off, too. :D

Cranky
04-27-2008, 08:03 AM
Dare I show my face in here....:gone:

The sun was out today... there was gardening that had to be done... and then for the first time this year I was able to just sit on the deck in the sunshine and have a drink... and the dog was sick... and my wrist was sore... :e2violin:

I got nothing.:Shrug: Not one lousy word on the WIP. :e2shrug:

*gasp*

Mary, how could you? :ROFL:

Good Lord woman, you've been very productive this week. Don't worry about it at all!

reigningcatsndogs
04-27-2008, 09:45 AM
Yes!!! I squeaked in about an hour and a half -- 1192 words. ;) Saturday wasn't a total write-off for me! Whew......

Mandy-Jane
04-27-2008, 12:47 PM
Well I managed to scribble out about three-quarters of a first draft. Still need to do some research and tie up a few ends, but at least it's a start!

WittyandorIronic
04-27-2008, 04:40 PM
Thanks for all the support. :) You and me Cranky, today is our day. Congrats to Mandy and Reign!
"It's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new life, for me, and Iiiii'm feeeeeeeeeeeling good," to quote a great song.
Todays Goal:
1. Type out my outline, time line problem or not.
2. Write my characters 'daybefores'.
3. (At Least) 1000 words. ***The most important***

reigningcatsndogs
04-27-2008, 05:21 PM
Thanks for all the support. :) You and me Cranky, today is our day. Congrats to Mandy and Reign!
"It's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new life, for me, and Iiiii'm feeeeeeeeeeeling good," to quote a great song.
Todays Goal:
1. Type out my outline, time line problem or not.
2. Write my characters 'daybefores'.
3. (At Least) 1000 words. ***The most important***

We're cheering for you, Witty!!
:e2cheer::e2cheer::e2cheer::e2cheer::e2cheer::e2ch eer::e2cheer::e2cheer:

reigningcatsndogs
04-27-2008, 05:23 PM
Well I managed to scribble out about three-quarters of a first draft. Still need to do some research and tie up a few ends, but at least it's a start!

:Lecture: 'A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step...' (or somethin like that :))

Way to go, Mandy!

DragonHeart
04-27-2008, 05:35 PM
This is exactly the sort of thing I need. I've been "working" on my WIP for a few months now, but have almost nothing to show for it. A few pages of worldbuilding, a few pages of first draft that need to be scrapped, and less than one page of salvageable material from said draft. Oh, and one paragraph that doesn't suck.

It's strange, I know the story and the characters, but when it comes time to actually put the words to the paper...nothing. I'll sit down and pull up a new document to start, but then I need another coffee, AW needs to be checked, then ~40 blogs to read, then my best friend sends me a text message...by time I'm ready to get something done, it's time to go to work!

But no more! I will write this story even if I have to duct tape myself to the chair and go on disability for being sick and tired of working! :D

Ok, maybe not that drastic, but close.

In other words, I'm in! I'll have to set goals by the day for now though, I'm in a transitional crossroads and can't seem to find the road that isn't a dead end.

I have today off but we're going to see a really cool live show in a couple hours, so my goal will be modest: 1,000 new words. Preferably on the WI, as I have no P.

~DragonHeart~

reigningcatsndogs
04-27-2008, 05:36 PM
:e2drown: Help! Okay Mary, as I'm feeling very low lately because of just this problem, I'm in. But like others, I'll keep my promises low, as it's Spring and the workload is high. At this point, even that hundred a day is looking good. That's half a novel by the end of the year. And two hundred brings me up to seventy thousand, a reasonable length. So lets say anything over 200w a day is reasonable progress.

So, as I've already been playing around in the threads this morning and it's now past time to leave for work, that means tonight I MUST get busy. I'll check in tomorrow. Happy progress everyone.

** throws Kerr a floaty thingy **

Two hundred a day. We'll watch for you, and I will personally hunt you down and :e2poke:. With spring here, there's a ton of work to be done outside. People have family obligations, jobs, houses to clean... and then there's the little disasters that happen -- plugged toilets, sick kids, unexpected company. Some days that balance seems impossible (I say all of this so you know that, although I am aware of the challenges, I will still hunt you down now if the need arises, but I will do it with compassion and understanding. ;))

reigningcatsndogs
04-27-2008, 05:44 PM
This is exactly the sort of thing I need. I've been "working" on my WIP for a few months now, but have almost nothing to show for it. A few pages of worldbuilding, a few pages of first draft that need to be scrapped, and less than one page of salvageable material from said draft. Oh, and one paragraph that doesn't suck.

It's strange, I know the story and the characters, but when it comes time to actually put the words to the paper...nothing. I'll sit down and pull up a new document to start, but then I need another coffee, AW needs to be checked, then ~40 blogs to read, then my best friend sends me a text message...by time I'm ready to get something done, it's time to go to work!

But no more! I will write this story even if I have to duct tape myself to the chair and go on disability for being sick and tired of working! :D

Ok, maybe not that drastic, but close.

In other words, I'm in! I'll have to set goals by the day for now though, I'm in a transitional crossroads and can't seem to find the road that isn't a dead end.

I have today off but we're going to see a really cool live show in a couple hours, so my goal will be modest: 1,000 new words. Preferably on the WI, as I have no P.

~DragonHeart~

:ROFL: You're singing my song --

http://ducttape.pbwiki.com/f/shrine.jpg

DUCT TAPE!!! And it comes in a large selection of very cool designer colors now!

We can do this.... just with your arms loose so you can type.
http://alternateidea.com/assets/2007/11/7/duct-tape-man.jpg

WittyandorIronic
04-27-2008, 05:59 PM
Welcome to the party, DragonHeart! Good Luck!

Ken
04-27-2008, 06:17 PM
you can do it Dragonheart!

Sounds like you had a peaceful and relaxing day yesterday, Reigning.
You deserved it.
The mind needs time off here and there to restore itself and grow.

Good to hear you're back in the groove again, Witty & Mandy.

(I hear that Cranky is going full steam ahead this week and is going to turn out some staggering word count figures when she pops back in.)

choppersmom
04-27-2008, 06:30 PM
:ROFL: You're singing my song --

http://ducttape.pbwiki.com/f/shrine.jpg

DUCT TAPE!!! And it comes in a large selection of very cool designer colors now!

We can do this.... just with your arms loose so you can type.
http://alternateidea.com/assets/2007/11/7/duct-tape-man.jpg

There is a roll of camouflage duct tape in that pile! I dunno why, but that just strikes me as hilarious.

paprikapink
04-27-2008, 09:21 PM
I'm still watching you people.

I'm still waiting and seeing about the exploding heads thing. I think some of you are at risk. When you come in and post "nothing!" and then go back and work some more...that's when I see serious risk of impending success. LOOK OUT!

Cranky
04-27-2008, 09:32 PM
(I hear that Cranky is going full steam ahead this week and is going to turn out some staggering word count figures when she pops back in.)

Your stoolie is misinformed! :D

I am going to be working today, however. I'm going to try to get some new words in this afternoon, and definitely tonight. I am going to have a great deal of free time in the evenings this week, as there was a firing at my husband's job, and so he's going to be working from 12am-10pm for the next six days. I hope he gets the job (he might!), but either way, I hope they get the spot filled soon. Both he and his boss will be down to one day off a week, 10 hours a day until that spot is filled.

More guilt-free writing time for me, but I kinda like my husband and would like to see more of him than that.

After that, things get crazy. Two (possibly three) IEP meetings for the kids, the IFSP meeting for my youngest...and then weekly therapist visits. I'll be drowning in paperwork, housework and these meetings eat up a lot of time, so I expect my word counts to decline accordingly for a couple weeks. :(

Ken
04-27-2008, 09:54 PM
cool that you're going to have some extra time this week, Cranky.
Hope your H gets the job! My "well informed" source says you are coming in for lots of good luck :)

shrewd observation Paprika.
Now to make myself scarce and make use of it ;)

Mr Flibble
04-28-2008, 01:46 AM
26/4 0 -- I don't write at all on Saturday, and only a little on Sunday. I have to see that family occassionally.

27/4 sigh not a lot. I'm a bit worried about my son -- he had a bad time over the weekend.

reigningcatsndogs
04-28-2008, 02:05 AM
26/4 0 -- I don't write at all on Saturday, and only a little on Sunday. I have to see that family occassionally.

27/4 sigh not a lot. I'm a bit worried about my son -- he had a bad time over the weekend.

Sorry about your son... I hope everything is okay. :Hug2:

Don't worry about the words. You'll catch them up over the week.

nybx4life
04-28-2008, 02:17 AM
Hey guys!

I wrote my third chapter:D

It's in the SYW forums, Sci-Fi/Fantasy.

Read it, critique it, enjoy it:)

Wow, this BIC process is really helping me flow out stuff

reigningcatsndogs
04-28-2008, 02:35 AM
Hey guys!

I wrote my third chapter:D

It's in the SYW forums, Sci-Fi/Fantasy.

Read it, critique it, enjoy it:)

Wow, this BIC process is really helping me flow out stuff

:tongueGood deal!! Glad it's helping. :hooray:

DragonHeart
04-28-2008, 03:41 AM
Well, I didn't quite hit 1,000 but I managed over 900 words today. That's more than I've written in the last two months combined, so I'm very pleased to be making progress.

Unfortunately, the scene happened to be the very end of the novel, and set me up for a sequel which I didn't plan on. Guess now I've got two WIPs.

~DragonHeart~

reigningcatsndogs
04-28-2008, 07:07 AM
Well, I didn't quite hit 1,000 but I managed over 900 words today. That's more than I've written in the last two months combined, so I'm very pleased to be making progress.

Unfortunately, the scene happened to be the very end of the novel, and set me up for a sequel which I didn't plan on. Guess now I've got two WIPs.

~DragonHeart~

Oh hey, that's a bonus then!! Good work.:D

WittyandorIronic
04-28-2008, 07:54 AM
844 words and a new time line, plus I learned everything you might want to know about feather quill pens. Seriously... the things I get hung up on sometimes, lol.

I have to say that these 844 words did not come easy, but I am hoping that means they are better quality. Normally I write very rough, very fast, but today was very slow and measured. I will give the scene a few days to sit, go back over it, and then let you know what I think.

I am going to try to get my last 100 words before bed, even if it is minutes away from midnight.

Good job Dragon and Nybx. I hope your son feels better Idiots.

nybx4life
04-28-2008, 08:29 AM
Since I'm not due for another BIC session until way later, I just wanted to say my friend's situation is kinda funny:

He's trying to make a cartoon. Now, the thing with it is that he possibly got enough episodes for a good series (I think he's on his third, or fifth, or eighth season), but he just can't draw the storyboards for his comic.

It's funny, on outline he has so much down, but the finer details ain't filled in yet.

Mr Flibble
04-28-2008, 01:00 PM
OK, worked out the son problem ( I hope, and thanks to those who asked after him *kiss kiss*)

So onwards!

Ken
04-28-2008, 03:28 PM
JoNightshade: goal = 9k per week
// 4/24, 2k //
WendyNYC: goal = edit novel / 1st chpt rewrite* // 4/28, //4/29
wyntermoon: goal / 4-500wds per day
// 4/24, 250 & new angle // 4/25, 350wds // 4/26,
nybx4life: chpts 1-3 completed :Clap:
czjaba: goal=edit 2 chpts/day // see sig space for further details //
// 4/24, 4chpts/4hrs // 4/25, 6pgs // 4/27, // 4/28, chpts 1&2* edited //
paprikapink: "observing" :cool:
kct webber:
KrishnaJewel: daily goal = update 2 blogs / write 3 art's & 1 ss's / work on 1 of 3 WIPs
// 4/25, goal met -WIP// 4/26,
Reigningcatsndogs: 6498 words/ 25 pages/ 5 hrs on 4/24 // 3hrs/ 3933wds/13pgs // 4/26, 1192wds/1.5hrs // 4/28, 4759wds/6hrs // 4/29,
IdiotsRUs : goal = 8k per week/1600day // 'revise & resubmit' request on WIP // :Clap:
4/25, 1650wds // 4/28, 1900wds // 4/29-5/4 editing WIP //
WittyandorIronic:goal = 1000 w.p.d., 6 days a week //
//4/26, draft // 4/27, 844wds // 4/28, //4/29,
DragonHeart: goal = 1000 w.p.d.
// 4/27 900wds // 4/28, // 4/29,
Cranky: 655 in 2 hours! + an additional 1/2hr on 4/24 // 4/25, 3.5 hrs/2000+wds // 4/26, breather // 4/29,
Anis: 4 1/2 hrs/100wds on 4/23 // 3 1/2hrs/90wds on 4/24 // 4/25, 3 hrs/25wds// 4/26, 5hrs // 4/27, 2hrs // 4/28, 3hrs/26wds //4/29
Anybody Else...

WittyandorIronic
04-28-2008, 03:57 PM
Anis = awesome.
Thanks for keeping track so far. I am up bright and earlier so I can hit my goal this morning before work, and maybe even makeup the 150 I left off last night.
Good luck for the day everyone!

Ken
04-28-2008, 04:03 PM
thanks Witty :)
Fell a bit behind myself yesterday,
so I'm going to try to make up for it today, too,
after buying a new ink cartridge.
Good luck to you, as well, and everybody else for the upcoming week.

Ken
04-28-2008, 04:43 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f5/CassandraAusten-JaneAusten%28c.1810%29reversed.jpg

"Get to work lads and lassies,"
speaks Jane Austen, from up above.

czjaba
04-28-2008, 07:34 PM
Hi Everyone! Okay, so I slack off on the weekends. I admit it. Then first thing Monday mornings at work, I actually have 'work' to do. So here I am now, with a new goal in mind. I sent out queries quite a few weeks ago for TT, the one I just finished polishing. No bites. Very few responses. BUT, I can tell how much my writing has improved compared to what I was fixing with TT and the first draft of TB (2nd book). I've tried the edit-as-you-go on a first draft and it sucked, with plot holes and all that. But now, I really think I can do an edit-as-you-go with the 2nd draft, and then a final read-through.
Okay, so back to my new goal - 2 chapters per day of edits on TB. I started Friday and got a few pages done (like 6 or so.)

WendyNYC
04-28-2008, 07:43 PM
I started editing my novel today and have realized that the first few chapters need a lot of work. They aren't intimate enough, too much backstory, too much exposition. Bleh. I think Chapter 1 will need a complete rewrite.

Well, at least I'm getting started.

Mr Flibble
04-29-2008, 01:18 AM
Ok, so back in the swing today, 1900 words.

I doubt I'll get much done tommorow, I'm out, but I might manage to squeeze something in

BTW guys, thanks for your thoughts. I'm proper choked.

czjaba
04-29-2008, 02:19 AM
Good job, Idiots. That's 300 over your goal! :hooray: :Thumbs:

Okay, so I got my 2 chapters edited. But not so sure about the completed part. It flows well, I guess I'm just wondering if it's too passive. There's some dialogue and while they are talking, they are walking down the street kicking a crushed soda can, so I don't really show action through those few lines of dialogue. But that's in the 2nd chapter and I think I will probably go back and tighten that up some more. So, now I'm stuck in that place of decisions. Do I go back and do chapter 2 again - or continue with the edits? I have an hour to drive home, so I'll think about it, but I'm leaning toward keep going with edits. The next few chapters are short, so maybe I'll get through another chapter tonight.
I'll stop rambling now...:D

reigningcatsndogs
04-29-2008, 02:25 AM
well, sorry to say that over the weekend my Mojo was a no-show, and I got little done... today I'm spending lots of time struggling with the words, typing and deleting... but I am working! I'll post the word count later on.

reigningcatsndogs
04-29-2008, 02:28 AM
Hi Everyone! Okay, so I slack off on the weekends. I admit it. Then first thing Monday mornings at work, I actually have 'work' to do. So here I am now, with a new goal in mind. I sent out queries quite a few weeks ago for TT, the one I just finished polishing. No bites. Very few responses. BUT, I can tell how much my writing has improved compared to what I was fixing with TT and the first draft of TB (2nd book). I've tried the edit-as-you-go on a first draft and it sucked, with plot holes and all that. But now, I really think I can do an edit-as-you-go with the 2nd draft, and then a final read-through.
Okay, so back to my new goal - 2 chapters per day of edits on TB. I started Friday and got a few pages done (like 6 or so.)

good work! It's kind of a nice feeling to see a change in your work, and its good take a tiny break and then get back to it. Way to go!

reigningcatsndogs
04-29-2008, 02:29 AM
I started editing my novel today and have realized that the first few chapters need a lot of work. They aren't intimate enough, too much backstory, too much exposition. Bleh. I think Chapter 1 will need a complete rewrite.

Well, at least I'm getting started.

Getting started it the hardest. It's always worse when you are thinking about it. The longer you think, the harder it will be, so good for you!
You'll tune those chapters in lickety split! :box:

reigningcatsndogs
04-29-2008, 02:30 AM
Ok, so back in the swing today, 1900 words.

I doubt I'll get much done tommorow, I'm out, but I might manage to squeeze something in

BTW guys, thanks for your thoughts. I'm proper choked.

1900 words -- that totally rawks! Well done. Hope everything is going okay now. :Hug2:

reigningcatsndogs
04-29-2008, 02:32 AM
Good job, Idiots. That's 300 over your goal! :hooray: :Thumbs:

Okay, so I got my 2 chapters edited. But not so sure about the completed part. It flows well, I guess I'm just wondering if it's too passive. There's some dialogue and while they are talking, they are walking down the street kicking a crushed soda can, so I don't really show action through those few lines of dialogue. But that's in the 2nd chapter and I think I will probably go back and tighten that up some more. So, now I'm stuck in that place of decisions. Do I go back and do chapter 2 again - or continue with the edits? I have an hour to drive home, so I'll think about it, but I'm leaning toward keep going with edits. The next few chapters are short, so maybe I'll get through another chapter tonight.
I'll stop rambling now...:D

If you're in the flow, keep going with the edits. It might help with continuity. I find when I go back and forth, I forget what I did and didn't do, and then things get missed (but I could just be weird that way!)

2 chapters! You met your goal! Good on ya!:hooray:

Cranky
04-29-2008, 02:34 AM
Good job, everybody! Mary has handled the specifics, I guess, but nevertheless:

GREAT WORK!

*scuttles out of thread before being pummled with q's about own WIP*

Ken
04-29-2008, 02:44 AM
good going czjaba.
Wish I could help you out.
In my own writing I strive for a passive voice and lack of action,
so I'm probably not a good one to ask for an opinion on the matter ;)
Good luck, though. Sure you'll decide right.

Hi Reigning and Cranky :hi:

reigningcatsndogs
04-29-2008, 03:52 AM
Okey dokey -- I think I am done for the day...

4759 words, 18 pages, 6 hours writing/research time...

now I'll go and get supper going...

Good work today, everyone :Hug2:.

Mr Flibble
04-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Well I think my goal may have changed.

I got a 'revise and resubmit' request on the first WIP ( I made an editor go 'ewww' :Thumbs:)

So, new goal :This week I need to re-read it and decide which bits need changing as per reccommendations. And I was hoping to never have to look at the damn thing ever again.

Mandy-Jane
04-29-2008, 02:08 PM

I got a 'revise and resubmit' request on the first WIP ( I made an editor go 'ewww'

Congratulations! It's all starting to pay off.

As for me, I indulgently spent 2 1/2 hours in the hairdressers getting a cut and colour - time when I should have been writing. So I must confess, I got nothing done today. However, the kids are just about in bed, so I'll definitely tuck into it then. Just may not get as much done as I otherwise would have.

(However, my hair looks good!) ;)

WendyNYC
04-29-2008, 03:30 PM
That's great, Idiots!

I'm impressed with everyone's progress so far. I think I need to step it up.

Ken
04-29-2008, 04:39 PM
JoNightshade: goal = 9k per week
// 4/24, 2k //
WendyNYC: goal = edit novel / 1st chpt rewrite* //4/29 250wds blog updated + ...//
nybx4life: chpts 1-3 completed :Clap:
kct webber:
KrishnaJewel: daily goal = update 2 blogs / write 3 art's & 1 ss's / work on 1 of 3 WIPs
Reigningcatsndogs: 6498 words/ 25 pages/ 5 hrs on 4/24 // 3hrs/ 3933wds/13pgs // 4/26, 1192wds/1.5hrs // 4/28, 4759wds/6hrs // 4/29,
// making up for a bit of lost (but well spent) time //
IdiotsRUs : goal = 8k per week/1600day // 'revise & resubmit' request on WIP // :Clap:
// 4/27 900wds // 4/28, // 4/29,
Auntybug: goal = finish 6th book in kids fantasy series //
//4/28, 2chpts 9queries>> //4/29,
:gone:Cranky: 655 in 2 hours! + an additional 1/2hr on 4/24 // 4/25, 3.5 hrs/2000+wds // 4/26, breather // 4/29,
Anis: 4 1/2 hrs/100wds on 4/23 // 3 1/2hrs/90wds on 4/24 // 4/25, 3 hrs/25wds// 4/26, 5hrs // 4/27, 2hrs // 4/28, 3hrs/26wds //4/29
Anybody Else...

auntybug
04-29-2008, 04:46 PM
*raises hand*

Can I play? I did 2 chapters yesterday & sent out 9 query's. Do I get a kewpie doll? :D

czjaba
04-29-2008, 04:59 PM
*raises hand*

Can I play? I did 2 chapters yesterday & sent out 9 query's. Do I get a kewpie doll? :D

Well, I'd send you a kewpie doll if I knew what they looked like and if I could figure out how to post pictures, but will this do? :Hug2:

2 chapters - edits or writing first draft? (I ask just because I'm nosy that way) And 9 queries is awesome!

Ken
04-29-2008, 05:06 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/collectors/img/2006/kewpie_dol_m1248278.jpg

auntybug
04-29-2008, 05:19 PM
Well, I'd send you a kewpie doll if I knew what they looked like and if I could figure out how to post pictures, but will this do? :Hug2:

2 chapters - edits or writing first draft? (I ask just because I'm nosy that way) And 9 queries is awesome!

I'll PM you on the pictures thing.... 1st draft on the chapters.
I'm on the 6th book in my kids fantasy series. I got side tracked on a novel - now I'm back at it. I have ideas for 7 blazing though my head too... now if I can stay on track! Nice thread RC&D!!!

czjaba
04-29-2008, 05:23 PM
http://www.myantiquemall.com/kewpiedark.jpg

Here's your Kewpie Anty! Thanks Anis!

reigningcatsndogs
04-29-2008, 05:38 PM

I got a 'revise and resubmit' request on the first WIP ( I made an editor go 'ewww' :Thumbs:)

So, new goal :This week I need to re-read it and decide which bits need changing as per reccommendations. And I was hoping to never have to look at the damn thing ever again.
:hooray: Yahoo! I would say that is a totally awesome reason to revise the goal! Good for you.

reigningcatsndogs
04-29-2008, 05:41 PM
Congratulations! It's all starting to pay off.

As for me, I indulgently spent 2 1/2 hours in the hairdressers getting a cut and colour - time when I should have been writing. So I must confess, I got nothing done today. However, the kids are just about in bed, so I'll definitely tuck into it then. Just may not get as much done as I otherwise would have.

(However, my hair looks good!) ;)

Rejuvenation time! Very important for the writing process.

psst.... why don't you call that 2 1/2 hours of brain storming plot ideas.

Cranky
04-29-2008, 05:42 PM
I didn't spend much time working last night, (maybe a half hour?) and I got about 150 words in.

Ah well. It's forward motion, yeah?

reigningcatsndogs
04-29-2008, 05:44 PM
*raises hand*

Damn straight it counts.

Now, for your prize..... my interpretation of the battery....

:e2moon: doesn't he have the cutest butt! You have no idea how many lemons I had to suck to get mine to look even close.

murmel
04-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Oh! The perfect thread for overcommitted me. I'm currently signed up at Gotham's novel II and need to finish my outline (ack, the pain!!! I'm a NOP) and to work on my next 5000

then continue on my prequel ... chapter 1 for this week.

and earn money, somehow.

reigningcatsndogs
04-29-2008, 05:48 PM
Oh! The perfect thread for overcommitted me. I'm currently signed up at Gotham's novel II and need to finish my outline (ack, the pain!!! I'm a NOP) and to work on my next 5000

then continue on my prequel ... chapter 1 for this week.

and earn money, somehow.

You have a full slate -- hope we can help. Welcome aboard!:D

WendyNYC
04-29-2008, 05:49 PM
I just put my B in the C for an hour and edited one chapter, adding 250ish words. I have to run off to work at my kids' school book fair, so that will be it for today, I think, unless I can get motivated to edit later tonight.

That's pretty lame, isn't it?

Cranky
04-29-2008, 05:53 PM
If so, then you can be lame with me, Wendy. :D

WendyNYC
04-29-2008, 05:54 PM
But I did update my blog, and I figured out how to add a picture to it.

That's something. Isn't it?

Ok, maybe I'm reaching.

czjaba
04-29-2008, 05:54 PM
Wendy! NO, it is NOT lame. It's awesome! If I could edit one chapter in an hour, my book would be done in 18 hours. Just take it as it comes.

czjaba
04-29-2008, 05:56 PM
Glad you've joined us, Murmel.

reigningcatsndogs
04-29-2008, 06:18 PM
Good work this morning, Wendy. Enjoy the book fair. It's important, and its important to the kids, so it doesn't count against anything at all...

anything to do with books has to be good!

auntybug
04-30-2008, 01:23 AM
:hooray: 2 more chapters...I'm at 24,500 ... I think I have 3 more to go...
These are usually only 25,000 (4th grade-ish) .... hmmm longest yet (& I didn't even like it till chap 12!)

Thanks for the thread - sure whipped my arse in shape (today anyway!!)

reigningcatsndogs
04-30-2008, 01:38 AM
:hooray: 2 more chapters...I'm at 24,500 ... I think I have 3 more to go...
These are usually only 25,000 (4th grade-ish) .... hmmm longest yet (& I didn't even like it till chap 12!)

Thanks for the thread - sure whipped my arse in shape (today anyway!!)
:e2moon::whip: It's a dream come true! Way to go, Aunt B. :partyguy:

reigningcatsndogs
04-30-2008, 05:19 AM
Okay, I had almost a whole day of writing... I'm getting close to the end of the WIP and I sorta get into the groove.

9244 words, 34 pages.

czjaba
04-30-2008, 05:28 AM
Okay, I had almost a whole day of writing... I'm getting close to the end of the WIP and I sorta get into the groove.

9244 words, 34 pages.

:Jaw: Wow, that's good!

reigningcatsndogs
04-30-2008, 05:35 AM
:Jaw: Wow, that's good!

There's nothing that says any of those words are any good though. ;)

DragonHeart
04-30-2008, 06:48 AM
Spaced it yesterday, but managed just over 800 words today. A new short story's brewing so I'll try to do the rest of the first draft tomorrow.

~DragonHeart~

Ken
04-30-2008, 03:36 PM
JoNightshade: goal = finish ms by monday //
// 4/24-4/30, 3k & editing // 5/1-5/8 wrapup scenes //
WendyNYC: goal = edit novel / keep blog updated //
// 4/29, 250wds // 4/30, 600wds/chpt4 edited //
nybx4life: chpts 1-3 completed //
:Hail: Reigningcatsndogs: 6498 words/ 25 pages/ 5 hrs on 4/24 // 3hrs/ 3933wds/13pgs // 4/26, 1192wds/1.5hrs // 4/28, 4759wds/6hrs // 4/29, 9244wds/34pgs //
IdiotsRUs : goal = 8k per week/1600day // 'revise & resubmit' request on WIP //
//4/30 fine tuning //
// 4/27 900wds // 4/29, 800wds // 4/30, s.s. draft //
Auntybug: goal obtained! = 6th book in kids fantasy series finished, 26,746wds // :Clap:
//4/28, 2chpts 9queries>> //4/29, 2 chpts (just 3* more to go) //
:welcome:JustJess: goal = 1500 wpd / complete WIP draft by summer //
// 5/1,
Cranky: 655 in 2 hours! + an additional 1/2hr on 4/24 // 4/25, 3.5 hrs/2000+wds // 4/26, breather // 4/29,
Anybody Else...

Mr Flibble
04-30-2008, 03:40 PM
OK, taken out some of the fight scenes, done preliminary stuff with most of the other quibbles. Now it's down to a line by line to smooth things out, add in extra description that was requested and check stylistic tics.

Seriously I am so sick of this book!

Ken
04-30-2008, 03:58 PM
today I have to rewrite one of my pieces.
Pretty radical revision.
I'm narrowing the characters from 4 to just 1.
Should give the action more umph and accentuate the MC's isolation.

...fight scenes must be neat to write.

czjaba
04-30-2008, 05:18 PM
Good morning everyone!

Idiots, I know what you mean by being sick of a book. The last one I edited was a complete waste of time because I just wanted to have it completed and since I knew the story (literally backward and forward- because I edited the final portions backwards), my eyes wouldn't pick up even simple mistakes. But the stakes are high for you. You have a request for it, so I know you can do it. Just take your time and focus and you'll get there!

Anis, I'm going through something similar to you. I did my 2 chapters yesterday, by the way, but I'm not satisfied with the first 4 chapters of the book. But at least you know what you want to do with it. I'm not sure yet what to change, what to cut, or how to rearrange the sentences. The plot is pretty solid, so I won't be changing that. But, I'm going to keep pushing forward with (hopefully) 2 chapters a day.

auntybug
04-30-2008, 05:47 PM
Hey all! My daughter loved the new chapters & barged in on me in the shower demanding I finish it now!!!

off to put my BIC.. wish we luck!

reigningcatsndogs
04-30-2008, 05:56 PM
Hey all! My daughter loved the new chapters & barged in on me in the shower demanding I finish it now!!!

off to put my BIC.. wish we luck!
:e2shower:Finally a chance to use this smilie, cause I never thought there would ever been one!

Good deal! You gotta love that kind of feedback. :hooray:

LUCK!

reigningcatsndogs
04-30-2008, 05:58 PM
OK, taken out some of the fight scenes, done preliminary stuff with most of the other quibbles. Now it's down to a line by line to smooth things out, add in extra description that was requested and check stylistic tics.

Seriously I am so sick of this book!

:D You won't be once you have that contract in your hot little hand!

Now, come on... edit.:e2poke:

reigningcatsndogs
04-30-2008, 05:59 PM
today I have to rewrite one of my pieces.
Pretty radical revision.
I'm narrowing the characters from 4 to just 1.
Should give the action more umph and accentuate the MC's isolation.

...fight scenes must be neat to write.

Morning, Anis... sounds like you have a busy day planned. That's a major change. Let us know how it goes. :)

Mr Flibble
04-30-2008, 05:59 PM
You won't be once you have that contract in your hot little hand!

True true.

*plunges back in*

Ken
04-30-2008, 06:11 PM
that's got to be a really good feeling to know your own kid likes your book, Auntybug. Kids are probably the toughest critics, especially with a parent's work. They haven't learnt that flattery thing yet ;)

good going czjaba.
One thing that helps me make decisions in my stories is the underlying theme in them, which always stays the same. That's just my approach, though. I'm pretty horrible at developing characters or creating believable storylines, so I rely on themes as a last resort and hope no one takes note of the omissions ;)

Hi IdiotsRUs & Reigning :hi:

reigningcatsndogs
04-30-2008, 06:18 PM
Good morning everyone!

Idiots, I know what you mean by being sick of a book. The last one I edited was a complete waste of time because I just wanted to have it completed and since I knew the story (literally backward and forward- because I edited the final portions backwards), my eyes wouldn't pick up even simple mistakes. But the stakes are high for you. You have a request for it, so I know you can do it. Just take your time and focus and you'll get there!

Anis, I'm going through something similar to you. I did my 2 chapters yesterday, by the way, but I'm not satisfied with the first 4 chapters of the book. But at least you know what you want to do with it. I'm not sure yet what to change, what to cut, or how to rearrange the sentences. The plot is pretty solid, so I won't be changing that. But, I'm going to keep pushing forward with (hopefully) 2 chapters a day.

It will come to you, :Hug2:. And way to go with keeping up with the goal.

auntybug
04-30-2008, 11:53 PM
OMG you guys!!

I can't thank you enough for the motivation!

26,746... done! (well except for final edits)

I'm grinning ear to ear. I think it's my new favorite of the series!!!

Mr Flibble
05-01-2008, 12:53 AM
OMG you guys!!

Yay you!!!! :snoopy:

I added some setting description of a rather unusual inn as requested ( well she said house, but my MC doesn't go in the houses, and I think the inn's distinctive enough to show how they live so....)

A nice long bath cleared up a few other points in my head too :)

JustJess
05-01-2008, 12:55 AM
Great thread. I'm seeing some truly inspiring productivity.

Too late to join? Hope not. Sigh. April was supposed to be a productive month-ha! Instead I found myself reading so much about writing techniques/tips/tools etc..that I got completely overwhelmed and stopped writing.

I'm only 5k into my WIP, I'm hoping to be done with a first draft by the first day of summer. I definitely respond well to public accountability so hopefully this challenge will provide the swift kick I need.

Today is my very last day to waste away on obsessing-um I mean planning. Starting tomorrow my goal will be at least 1500 words per day.

JoNightshade
05-01-2008, 12:59 AM
::Jo crawls into thread and collapses::

Okay, confession: I've been avoiding this thread. Sigh. Since last time I posted (which was last week) I've only done another 1k.

Not because I haven't been writing, but because I've been RE-writing. For the past 2 days my manuscript has gone from 100,400 to 100,100 to 100,400, etc. etc. I find that really frustrating. :) I'd say I spent like 6 hours BIC yesterday. Burnt the heck out of my knees, actually, because I was sitting outside and didn't notice the sun.

But last night, I finally worked it through to finish my absolute final climax. So now all I've got to do is write a couple of wrapup scenes and I'm done.

Of course, then there's edits. My FAVORITE part. (Feel the sarcasm.)

Okay. Goal for this week is to FINISH MY MANUSCRIPT by Monday.

WendyNYC
05-01-2008, 01:57 AM
That sounds like you've been plenty productive, Jo. And welcome, JustJess. 1500 words per day is a great goal.

I edited Chapter 4 today adding 600 words and cutting lots, although who knows what the quality is like because I did most of it in the bleachers at the pool watching my kid practice. Again.

I also write a book review and posted it on my blog.

reigningcatsndogs
05-01-2008, 03:06 AM
OMG you guys!!

:hooray: way to go! :partyguy:

reigningcatsndogs
05-01-2008, 03:08 AM
Yay you!!!! :snoopy:

I added some setting description of a rather unusual inn as requested ( well she said house, but my MC doesn't go in the houses, and I think the inn's distinctive enough to show how they live so....)

A nice long bath cleared up a few other points in my head too :)

A hot bath can do miracles. It's great that everything is falling into place. And the inn sounds like a heck of a plan. Good work!:hooray:

reigningcatsndogs
05-01-2008, 03:10 AM
Great thread. I'm seeing some truly inspiring productivity.

Too late to join? Hope not. Sigh. April was supposed to be a productive month-ha! Instead I found myself reading so much about writing techniques/tips/tools etc..that I got completely overwhelmed and stopped writing.

I'm only 5k into my WIP, I'm hoping to be done with a first draft by the first day of summer. I definitely respond well to public accountability so hopefully this challenge will provide the swift kick I need.

Today is my very last day to waste away on obsessing-um I mean planning. Starting tomorrow my goal will be at least 1500 words per day.

It's never to late to join. We'll do what we can to keep you trucking along. I'll be watching for your progress updates, just in case I have to break out the whip.

reigningcatsndogs
05-01-2008, 03:14 AM
::Jo crawls into thread and collapses::

Okay, confession: I've been avoiding this thread. Sigh. Since last time I posted (which was last week) I've only done another 1k.

Not because I haven't been writing, but because I've been RE-writing. For the past 2 days my manuscript has gone from 100,400 to 100,100 to 100,400, etc. etc. I find that really frustrating. :) I'd say I spent like 6 hours BIC yesterday. Burnt the heck out of my knees, actually, because I was sitting outside and didn't notice the sun.

But last night, I finally worked it through to finish my absolute final climax. So now all I've got to do is write a couple of wrapup scenes and I'm done.

Of course, then there's edits. My FAVORITE part. (Feel the sarcasm.)

Okay. Goal for this week is to FINISH MY MANUSCRIPT by Monday.

I don't think it's realistic to expect that we're all going to pound out words every day (she says as she looks as her small word count for today). The fact is that we have edits to do, plot holes to discover and fill, research to do, and then of course there is the wonderful 'preparing the submissions' time. But it all counts. It's all time you're putting to your craft. So, please don't be afraid to come in here. :Hug2: The purpose of this is to support each other, encourage along, and help keep us on track with our craft. I think you did awesome. Six hours of adjustments, organizing your plot -- well done!

reigningcatsndogs
05-01-2008, 03:18 AM
That sounds like you've been plenty productive, Jo. And welcome, JustJess. 1500 words per day is a great goal.

I edited Chapter 4 today adding 600 words and cutting lots, although who knows what the quality is like because I did most of it in the bleachers at the pool watching my kid practice. Again.

I also write a book review and posted it on my blog.
This made me think about how many words each of us types in a day... between blogs and writing and everything else. There are days when I can write a sentence ten times and delete it ten times before I like it. If it averaged somewhere around a 12 word sentence, then there are 110 words that I didn't count for the day!

Good job Wendy! :Hug2:

JoNightshade
05-01-2008, 03:29 AM
I don't think it's realistic to expect that we're all going to pound out words every day (she says as she looks as her small word count for today). The fact is that we have edits to do, plot holes to discover and fill, research to do, and then of course there is the wonderful 'preparing the submissions' time. But it all counts. It's all time you're putting to your craft. So, please don't be afraid to come in here. :Hug2: The purpose of this is to support each other, encourage along, and help keep us on track with our craft. I think you did awesome. Six hours of adjustments, organizing your plot -- well done!

But... but... I did it for the rest of the book!!! :e2cry:

Okay, you're right. I'm going to give myself a freaking break. I'm at the end, I should be having fun with this.

Thanks for the hugs. :)

reigningcatsndogs
05-01-2008, 03:51 AM
But... but... I did it for the rest of the book!!! :e2cry:

Okay, you're right. I'm going to give myself a freaking break. I'm at the end, I should be having fun with this.

Thanks for the hugs. :)

LOL -- I write every day when I'm working on a project, but I don't write every day forever.... (is sorta what I meant!)

I just worry when we all get so hard on ourselves for not 'writing'. New words are awesome, but at some time we have to look at the ones we've already written and take the time to spruce them up. It's still working, still writing.. it's all part of the process.

JoNightshade
05-01-2008, 05:03 AM
Reporting back. I have done another 1k. I may get this finished tomorrow!!!

JoNightshade
05-01-2008, 11:12 AM
I'm on a roll tonight. Just did another thousand. :)

One and a half more scenes to go.

Mr Flibble
05-01-2008, 01:57 PM
Go you!

*cheerleader dance*

Ken
05-01-2008, 02:57 PM
JoNightshade: goal = finish ms -- maybe by today! // 5/1-5/8* wrapup scenes //
// 4/24-4/30, 3k & editing // 4/30, 2k // 5/1,
:Thumbs: WendyNYC: goal = edit novel / keep blog updated //
// 4/29, 250wds // 4/30, 600wds/chpt4 edited // 5/1, chpt6 edited //5/2, chpt8edt/2hrs//
nybx4life: chpts 1-3 completed //
// 4/24, 4chpts/4hrs // 4/25, 6pgs // 4/27, // 4/28, chpts 1&2* edited //5/2 up to chpt10, already :)//
Reigningcatsndogs: 6498 words/ 25 pages/ 5 hrs on 4/24 // 3hrs/ 3933wds/13pgs // 4/26, 1192wds/1.5hrs // 4/28, 4759wds/6hrs // 4/29, 9244wds/34pgs // 4/30,
IdiotsRUs : goal = 8k per week/1600day // 'revise & resubmit' request on WIP //
//4/30 fine tuning // 5/1, 1/3rd done... //
:Thumbs: WittyandorIronic:goal = 7000 wds per wk //
//4/26, draft // 4/27, 844wds//5/2, 2100 wds on the week, 4k more by tom night,
90min session done = 1400wds //
// 4/27 900wds // 4/29, 800wds // 4/30, s.s. draft & longhand writing // 5/1,
Auntybug: goal obtained! = 6th book in kids fantasy series finished, 26,746wds // :Clap:
// next goal obtained in 1 day = book edited, 5/1 // Great Going!
JustJess: goal = 1500 wpd, total to date = 7022 / complete WIP draft by summer //
// 5/1, 1522wds//
Cranky: goal = WIP, 3k to date
//4/24, 655wds/2.5hrs //4/25, 3.5 hrs/2000+wds //4/30, 160/20mins//5/1, 630wds/2.5hrs//
Anybody Else...

Ken
05-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Good Going JoNightshade.
Editing is just as important as doing the writing,
allowing good books to be made really good.

Finished my piece yesterday, narrowing the characters from 4 to 1.
Reads better now, in half as many words.
Today I plan to edit/rewrite? another.

Good Luck for today everyone,
not that you need it ;)

Ken
05-01-2008, 03:26 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0b/Emilybronte_retouche.jpg

"Up that pace a notch BIC participants,"
says Emily Bronte from up above.

Mr Flibble
05-01-2008, 06:07 PM
I'm trying, I'm trying!

Ok, I'm getting there. Concentrating on stylistc tics today ( comma splicing and buggering about with participles.) I'm about a third of the way through the MS on those, but I've not had loads of time today.

JoNightshade
05-01-2008, 08:17 PM
Emily Bronte could use a good moisturizer.

WendyNYC
05-01-2008, 09:27 PM
I edited chapter 6 today. No blog update, you'll just have to survive without it.

What that you say? What happened to chapter 5? I'm editing all the even numbered chapters first, because they are told from a different POV than the odds.

DragonHeart
05-01-2008, 10:45 PM
Yesterday did see progress, I just don't have an accurate count as it was all longhand. I snuck some writing time in at work. ;)

Nothing yet today, but I got home from work about 30 minutes ago. Closed at 10 p.m. yesterday, then it was up at 4:45 a.m. to punch in at 6 this morning.

~DragonHeart~

auntybug
05-02-2008, 12:15 AM
Phase 1 edit - 26,842... not too bad :D

Thanks again gang for the shove. I'll hop on again when I get #7 going! Should be soon - I've had ideas swimming for a couple weeks.

JoNightshade
05-02-2008, 12:17 AM
I just went to the National Day of Prayer service in the local park. And now I'm totally weirded out because one of the pastors speaking WAS my main character. Even his voice was the same. Unfortunately I couldn't get my cell phone cam out fast enough, so I can't show you.

SO weird.

WendyNYC
05-02-2008, 12:21 AM
I just went to the National Day of Prayer service in the local park. And now I'm totally weirded out because one of the pastors speaking WAS my main character. Even his voice was the same. Unfortunately I couldn't get my cell phone cam out fast enough, so I can't show you.

SO weird.

Maybe the people living inside your head have decided to come out into the world.

Creepy.

JoNightshade
05-02-2008, 12:26 AM
Maybe the people living inside your head have decided to come out into the world.

Creepy.

In that case, I think I'd better start watching out for his wife. She could seriously hurt me.

Ken
05-02-2008, 12:40 AM
...proof that you're creating very believable and life-like characters, JoNightshade.

moisturizer, :D

JustJess
05-02-2008, 07:15 AM
Yawn. I did it! I made my word count after weeks of not writing. Feels great to make some actual progress.

Today: 1522
Total: 7022

Cranky
05-02-2008, 08:49 AM
Good job, everyone!

I've managed 630 words today, in about 2 1/2 hours. I could've done much better if I hadn't goofed off, I suppose, but I'll take it.

I got about 160 words in yesterday, in about 20 minutes. I had no energy to do anything!

So, I am up over 3k now. This is going almost painfully slow, but I'm okay with it. For now. *wink*

Komnena
05-02-2008, 03:21 PM
I've set myself a goal of a page every day. I've reached my goal four days straight. This time I'm looking back over the messterpiece as I write.

czjaba
05-02-2008, 05:17 PM
I love your word -- messterpiece. And good job reaching your goals.

I spent most of yesterday B-I-C and got caught up and even passed my goals. I am now editing chapter 10 and hopefully today, I'll get through another 2 or 3 chapters. I'll still have to go back to the first 4 chapters and clean them up, but starting with 5, they are pretty much polished. I'm satisfied with how it's going and I'm even thinking about entering the Musical Nightmare Contest.

WittyandorIronic
05-02-2008, 05:21 PM
:slink: i haven't been very good, but my excuse is at least semi- respectable. Work sucks AND my stupid 6 month review is due Monday. But I am at 2100 words for the week and hoping to squeeze in another 4k before tomorrow night. Can I revise my goal to a weekly total of 6500? thx! :slink:

Ken
05-02-2008, 05:24 PM
good going JustJess.
The hardest part is getting started, as they say.
IdiotsRUs: wishing u luck...and wonderin' what a participle is?
Something to do with molecules?
Cool Cranky. Just manage what you can each day and you'll get there.
One pg a day is a nice pace, Komnena. In less than a year you'll be done.
7000per wk is fine, WittyandorIronic.
So quit that slinking and walk tall.
(you did say 7000, right? ;))

Yesterday I got in a good chunk of writing.
Unfortunately I totally derailed, writing an (okay) fictional essay.
Thinking of posting it in the share your work forum,
though it may be a bit over the top for that in respects to content.
It's about somebody taking a wizz, outdoors.
Today I have to get back to my current project, which is in the final stage.
Really would like to get it out by Monday.
The hardest part will be creating a cover letter.
I have no idea what to say.
I'm awful at cover letters!

Good day of writing everybody :e2cheer:

Hi Wendy :hi:

Mr Flibble
05-02-2008, 06:08 PM
I'm fed up with *ings*! (<--- participle :) )

OK I'm almost at the end with them, but I'm still not sure which I can get away with and which I can't. I feel a posting in the grammar forum coming on in a while...

WendyNYC
05-02-2008, 06:10 PM
Hi Wendy :hi:
Hey there, neighbor. Doesn't the weather stink? And it's going to get worse.

Oh well, that's good for writing, right?

Ken
05-02-2008, 06:22 PM
I heart rain,
so much so that I'm thinking of moving to Seattle or the Aluetian Islands!

WittyandorIronic
05-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Alright....straight 90 minutes of BIC time, starting now.
Starting WIP word count: 2162
3...2....1... and GO!

WittyandorIronic
05-02-2008, 08:17 PM
90 minutes are at an end...
:drum roll:
End word count is 3545!!!

Phew! That was not too shabby, and makes me feel better about screwing off earlier this week. 1400 words for the day....probably not a lot of them are good enough to STAY in the story, but oh well. I am counting them anyways!

WendyNYC
05-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Good job, WaoI.

I clocked in just under two hours this morning and edited Chapter 8. That one was actually pretty easy to edit because I spent more time writing in on the first draft. I just had to ramp up the tension between 2 characters a bit and do some tweaking.

I updated my blog last night, so I didn't have to do it today.

WittyandorIronic
05-02-2008, 09:03 PM
Nice Wendy! I'm off to work, so I am off the clock until tomorrow. See ya'll then! GL for the day everyone!

JoNightshade
05-03-2008, 12:32 AM
Got another thousand done. Still not at the end. I thought I would be there by now. :)

WendyNYC
05-03-2008, 12:42 AM
Maybe you could pass me some of those words, Jo. I'm coming up a little short.

JoNightshade
05-03-2008, 07:25 AM
You can have them ALL, Wendy! I just finished my rewrite! Wahoo!

::Jo throws off writing cap and starts running for her mental beach::