• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Mixing Fiction and Non Fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

inthecards

Registered
Reaction score
My novel includes information and stories about real and imaginary characters and provides fictional accounts of the real people. There are two minor characters from the book that are still alive and I'm wondering what kind of trouble I could be in should someone choose to publish the book.

My first thought was to reach out to them but they've ignored my attempts (probably think i'm a loon).

My second thought is to just let the publisher/agent tell me how to deal with it.

My last thought (ever) is to fictionalize all the characters and let any resemblance to real people be assumed by the reader.

Any thoughts from the board? Appreciate it.

Alan

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I would definately fictionalize the characters.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Fictionalize. It's better from a legal standpoint, AND it gives you more freedom as a writer.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Fictionalize for certain.

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
If they are fictional accounts of real people who were historical figures, I'd go with it. It's a novel right? It's fiction and not a biography. A great book that blurs fiction and non-fiction is Carter Beats the Devil.

But, if they're living people and not part of the general pop culture (your neighbor, your mother-in-law, etc), get permission.

One of the minor characters in my book was a famous jazz musician in the 40s. I sent the pages to his daughter and she gave me permission. It just wouldn't have been the same if I'd fictionalized him.

Status
Not open for further replies.