Does anyone still sleep on waterbeds? Whatever happened to them?

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I had a waterbed in high school and I was happy with it. I remember the waterbed stores, the commercials, they seemed so popular.

Now I don't even know if anyone sells them anymore.

Why not? What was so wrong with them?

allen

drachin8

post-apocalyptic bunny
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
My cats used to always puncture mine when I was a kid. Sleeping on water not as cool as sleeping on a waterbed.

:)

-Michelle

KrishnaJewel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allbollywood.com
I had a water bed up until a few years ago...bought it new about 10 years ago. I loved it, it was a firm bed, not at all like sleeping on the high seas...lol

I loved that bed when I was pregnant!

I miss the water bed...sigh...but it was a part of the previous marriage.

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone who still owns a water bed is probably at least in their 50s now. They spend their mornings lying in bed trying to catch that perfect wave to chuck them up and over the frame.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
They tried selling them to eskimos which was a horrible mistake.

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
The 'un-baffled' beds were fun... once you got to matching the motion and timing. "Baffled" beds were more comfortable, but a king sized waterbed is damned heavy. Some apartments wouldn't allow them. In short, the problems outweighed the benefits. (But yes, they still exist)

Tempurpedic - Best money I ever spent on a mattress.

Tink

Just soaking up some R&R...
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone who still owns a water bed is probably at least in their 50s now. They spend their mornings lying in bed trying to catch that perfect wave to chuck them up and over the frame.

That is just plain MEAN, shame on you...my friend owns a waterbed and she is not fifty (yet) but she likes to ride the waves to the edge:tongue

lakotagirl

Forgot what I was gonna say
Registered
Reaction score
That is just plain MEAN, shame on you...my friend owns a waterbed and she is not fifty (yet) but she likes to ride the waves to the edge:tongue

Thanks, Tink! I thought the same thing. ;)

I still sleep in a waterbed. I like crawling into the warm bed on a cold winter night.

Tink

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Tink! I thought the same thing. ;)

I still sleep in a waterbed. I like crawling into the warm bed on a cold winter night.

Your welcome and you know what else...with enough duct tape you can keep your water bed in good shape forever :D

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
IIRC, the last time we bought a bed, about 3 years ago, the store had a baffled water bed on display. (I'm sure it was thinking, hey, what's going on? Who are you people?)

When I lived in southern Arizona without air conditioning, which is more common than you'd think, a nice cool water bed was just wonderful. I wished I had one and would gladly house sit for anybody who did.

However, incidents like my friend Ann and Bob had were far too common. They rented a little house which had a master bedroom which had been clearly added on, not part of the original structure. They put in their water bed, filled it up, and watched the extension separate from the rest of the house. Their landlord knew they had the water bed, or it would have been worse, I suppose, than merely losing their damage deposit and having to move out right away.

Maryn, who hasn't thought about water beds in a long while

Tink

Registered
Reaction score
I have some good memories and some bad memories of the days when i had a water bed but i had better keep those thoughts to myself.

Voyager

Registered
Reaction score
hehe, tell her not to feel bad. I'm 36 and it's about all I can muster first thing in the morning to sit up-pivot-put feet on floor. I'm hoping Rascal will make a special hoist before I get much older.

lakotagirl

Forgot what I was gonna say
Registered
Reaction score
Your welcome and you know what else...with enough duct tape you can keep your water bed in good shape forever :D

You know it! Duct tape is the the cure-all for the world! :Thumbs:

OK for the nation.
Alright, maybe for Illinois.
Well, it works around here....

Tink

Registered
Reaction score
hehe, tell her not to feel bad. I'm 36 and it's about all I can muster first thing in the morning to sit up-pivot-put feet on floor. I'm hoping Rascal will make a special hoist before I get much older.
Hey, I here you. I have one of those pedestal beds thats almost as tall as me and it didn't use to be a problem to hop in/out but I am thinkin' about building stairs these days...

Voyager

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I here you. I have one of those pedestal beds thats almost as tall as me and it didn't use to be a problem to hop in/out but I am thinkin' about building stairs these days...
OMG, a stairway to heaven play on words. You are SO fun.

Voyager

Registered
Reaction score
You know it! Duct tape is the the cure-all for the world!

OK for the nation.
Alright, maybe for Illinois.
Well, it works around here....
Ahhh, the Mexican toolbox, duct tape, tie wraps, WD40 and gum. I still have fond memories of my dad building the addition to our house...