Mike Grell, Bob Layton, David Michelinie

Status
Not open for further replies.

LLivingston

Registered
Reaction score
Camelot! Camelot!! Camelot!!!-- it's only a model.
Website
www.lesleylivingston.com
Hey guys!

I had the extreme pleasure of interviewing these 3 comic book legends - when they were in Toronto at the Comicon convention - for a new web venture called Hardcore Nerdity that will be launching May 1st. I'm not sure when my interviews will be up - I'll keep you all posted - but I did want to share an interesting tidbit that came out of their panel discussion.

Mike Grell made the somewhat wistful observation - which Bob and David both agreed with - that, back in the day, they were being edited by guys who grew up reading stuff other than just comic books. Nowadays, not so much.

I thought this was kind of fascinating - sort of analogous to how the dudes writing for the Simpsons now grew up watching, well, the Simpsons. And so the show, itself, is now their chief frame of reference.

Any thoughts from you guys on whether you've discovered this phenomenon to be the case in your own experiences? Has the artform suffered as a result? Changed? Or is this to its betterment? I am curious.

Oh - and - HI! This is my first post to this board! (Life-long comic fan, btw!)

Cheers,
Lesley

LLivingston

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lesleylivingston.com
Hmm. Interesting - if a bit disheartening ;) ...

Axler, do you find this across the board or just in the mainstream? Is there a tendency in the independents to buck this trend or is the entire industry just eating its own in your opinion? Any suggestions as to what's really good out there these days?

Anyone else?

Cheers,
Lesley

Axler

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.markellisink.com
The industry has already eaten its own and has been engaged in a long digestive process ever since...but now the colon is clogged.

Anyway.

I don't really read anything current...for about a year and half I followed the new Green Lantern series, but I became tired of paying 4 bucks per issue for what basically amounted to a vignette, not a real story. That doesn't fly with me, regardless of how purty the pichurs are.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.

How do you like your popcorn?

LLivingston

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lesleylivingston.com
Really? Do you guys really believe that across the board?

I mean - I will admit that I've been an infrequent comic user of late (ie: the last two years or so) and this is why I posed the question initially but - what about guys like Darwyn Cooke? The New Frontiers stuff was, in many ways, groundbreaking. Maybe not 'Watchmen' groundbreaking but still...

What about Ty Templeton (to give a good ol' Canuck example)?

Or, someone more mainstream say, like - Judd Winick. I will pretty much buy any book I see with his name on it just because his writing is so sharp, he has made me both gasp and laugh out loud with a turn of phrase or plot twist.

Craft. Skill. I still see them with these guys and - while they're not noobs, perhaps - they're not exactly the old guard.

Also - what do you think of novelists getting in on the game? Like Jim Butcher and the Dresden files GNs. Okay - it's really an extension of his own stuff, but... is this a trend?

I think of someone like Jodi Picoult doing a stint writing Wonder Woman and I can't help but think there's life in the medium yet. Or Joss Whedon continuing Buffy in comic book form and calling it 'Season 8'.

There has to still be a kind of validity to the artform doesn't there for this sort of thing to happen? I mean this stuff isn't fanboy cannabalism.

This is the kind of stuff that gives me hope!

Or am I wearing the blinky sunglasses, again?

Seriously - Axler, you're in the biz, man. Who/what is your ray of sunshine?

Cheers,
LL
(who takes her popcorn - plentiful!)

Axler

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.markellisink.com
Seriously - Axler, you're in the biz, man. Who/what is your ray of sunshine?

I'm only marginally in the biz nowdays...mainly compiling my own stuff into graphic novel format. If you check out the link to my site, you'll see I'm more of a straight novelist.

I don't really have a ray of sunshine...the people you mention are good but they're few and far between. Their output isn't enough to support the whole field.

Jodi Picoult is just another transitory entry in the "Marquee Value" sweepstakes, wherein DC takes writers who have had some success in another medium and hopes that they'll bring enough followers of their books over to the comics projects they've been assigned so that title will enjoy a temporary spike in sales.

To me, that's always been a tactic of desperation. It's a big who cares.

The few examples you cite are little infrequent blips in the whole pathetic tapestry of mainstream direct-market comics.

I'm happy to spend 40 bucks per volume on IDW's high-end reprints of Milton Caniff's immortal Terry And the Pirates (now that's some genius work), but I'm way beyond spending anywhere near that much a month on standard line comic books.

I have zero enthusiasm for spending 4 bucks on a comic that might take me three minutes or less to read and then often as not, the story comes off as an outline for a script the writer intends to get around to really producing one day.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Isn't there also a new trend with authors/artists sharing their work online for free? There are also a lot of indy comics/graphic novels that have small but loyal fanbases. I mean the fact that Perspolis for example did so well as a film, garnering even an Oscar nod, must mean that something is going right in the industry, doesn't it? My friend won top prize in a contest held by the Taiwanese government for her and her sister's graphic novel. Yes, a government hosted comic book contest. That's pretty cool.

My point is, maybe the traditional, DC-esque comics are not so hot anymore, but there is a lot of new innovative stuff coming out as well.

LLivingston

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lesleylivingston.com
Actually Axler - I agree (with a few noted exceptions) with you about the gereal state of the mainstream industry today. ("Terry and the Pirates" - awesome, btw) Conversely, though, I think this is exactly what is giving me hope.

The situation reminds me of the early 80's when the stagnation and general stupidity of the big companies caused a lot of artists to rebel and gave rise to indie publishers like Pacific Comics and First Comics and, after that, houses like Dark Horse and Image (who are now, of course, huge!). It saw the artists taking control with creator-owned properties and gave rise to projects like Rocketeer and Mage and (one that DC was smart enough to hang on to and publish) Watchmen. There was a push to explore new formats like graphic novels, new techniques, and deeper, more controversial content (I remember the reactions that the X-Men GN "God Loves Man Kills" got among me and my friends at the time - wow!)

But, largely, this was the kind of stuff that needed that air of dissatisfaction with the constraints of the industry in order to gestate, I think. So the point that Toothpaste makes here is a very valid one. Once again, the real creatives in the field are finding ways to cut through the dreck and the white noise. And finding other mediums in which to do it. Or crossing over into them. One of the other things that came out of my chat with Mike Grell, for example, is that he is publishing - for free - on the web. He's revisited his Jon Sable character and you can read the result yourself on www.comicmix.com. I think that's pretty cool...

There were also enough young, hungry, innovative and independent guys at the convention to make me think good things are in the offing.

The mainstream may be a garbage dump but I do believe that there will always be flowers coming up out of the compost. I guess now I just have to go out there and look harder to find them.

Cheers,
Lesley

Last edited:

Axler

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.markellisink.com
I can't say I disagree with your general sentiments, but you're not factoring in the practical considerations.

In the 1980s, there were not only a great number of independent comics publishers, there were also at least nine distributors. In 1991, there were supposedly eight thousand comics shops nation-wide.

Young, innovative and hungry artists could get their starts with the independents and move up the ladder. It happened very frequently...just off the top of my head because they're guys I worked with--Adam Hughes, Mike Wieringo and Darryl Banks.

Now there's really only one distributor (of note) and the last I heard, there are somewhere in the vicinity of four thousand comics shops...I've been told the actual number is closer to three thousand.

Now there are less than a handful of independent comics publishers that pay halfway competitive page rates where these guys can get their starts.

Also, with the high cover prices, the money the consumer can spend on comics is finite. Therefore, if say a "Very Special Issue" of Spider-Man enjoys great numbers, that means that a whole hell of a lot of other comics have tanked that month...the old robbing Paul to pay Peter (Parker) principle.

I don't doubt there are a great number of innovative and hungry artists out there, but if they want to their vision to reach readers, there best bet is to go the self-publishing route, with places like Ka-Blam and Indy Planet.

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
The one distributor, I believe, is Diamond.

The independent comic publisher killing spree happened over about a -- what? -- five year period? Publishers like First, Comico, and others really had some brilliant stuff out there (Gulacy's Sabre, for instance; and I always fall back on one of my fave's, Grimjack, still published at comicsmix.com along with Jon Sable).

So now there's Marvel, DC, Dark Horse and ... ? And even then, as someone noted somewhere else recently, those publishers are really looking to move properties to other venues (a la movies, television). So, really what the comic artist has become is an advanced storyboarder for Marvel or DC's movie team?

Some said the hope lies with Web publishing. That print is more perk than standard fare. I don't necessarily disagree with that. However, the Web as a comic book publishing portal is only in stage 1.3 or so. One huge roadblock: comic books are vertical and users' monitors are horizontal.

Finally, again, I agree with Axler on the four bucks a book analogy. I picked up a pair of X-Men books and a Moon Knight recently. And, well, my money was better spent at the half-price paperback books place.

In summary, I'd offer comic books have suffered by being gobbled up by large media conglomerates. Those corporation expect profits and share returns. That comic books is an art form is irrelevant. That those comic books lead to a bigger pay day for the company is relevant. And I'd offer that those books are being edited by people from completely separate disciplines so they better tie into future projects and present themselves more feasibly when the time comes to convert them from pulp to film.

Axler's absolutely right, however.
I can't say I disagree with your general sentiments, but you're not factoring in the practical considerations.

In the 1980s, there were not only a great number of independent comics publishers, there were also at least nine distributors. In 1991, there were supposedly eight thousand comics shops nation-wide.

Young, innovative and hungry artists could get their starts with the independents and move up the ladder. It happened very frequently...just off the top of my head because they're guys I worked with--Adam Hughes, Mike Wieringo and Darryl Banks.

Now there's really only one distributor (of note) and the last I heard, there are somewhere in the vicinity of four thousand comics shops...I've been told the actual number is closer to three thousand.

Now there are less than a handful of independent comics publishers that pay halfway competitive page rates where these guys can get their starts.

Also, with the high cover prices, the money the consumer can spend on comics is finite. Therefore, if say a "Very Special Issue" of Spider-Man enjoys great numbers, that means that a whole hell of a lot of other comics have tanked that month...the old robbing Paul to pay Peter (Parker) principle.

I don't doubt there are a great number of innovative and hungry artists out there, but if they want to their vision to reach readers, there best bet is to go the self-publishing route, with places like Ka-Blam and Indy Planet.

LLivingston

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lesleylivingston.com
Hey guys...

Sorry I disappeared from the conversation! Crazy week...

I do agree with what you guys are saying. I really actually do. (And it saddens me a little).

But I do hope that, away from the mainstream (and, your right Axler, the 4-buck cover-price for a mag full of adds and a couple of storyboards) the artists will find avenues for expression. If that means the comics medium disappearing largely into the realm of pixels... and I think that's a strong possibility... then I still think/hope the art-form itself will remain.

We will be the poorer for it if it doesn't.

Cheers,
Lesley
(Hey jst5150 - is Bob the Talking Lizard still hanging out at Grimjack's bar? I loved him... "beeeeer"...)

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
Eh, I don't think print comics will die out any time soon. I'm speaking as someone who does both web and dabbling into graphic novels (links in my sig). I personally love both.

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com
I've been following the industry for a while now, and the price is a definite killer. It's not the overall price but the price to content ratio that's the killer. At $3 or $4 each you're paying half the price of a paperback for 3-5 minutes worth of content; and the knowledge it's going to take 6 months to tell the whole story.

Nowadays I mostly get trades: Even the huge DC Absolutes have become a better value than the floppies.

Status
Not open for further replies.