Serbia

Melenka

Better is the enemy of done
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rebeccakovar.com
I am looking for any information regarding life in a Serbian village. If that knowledge includes the period prior to 1991 (when it would still have been Yugoslavia and there might have been a tribal mix in the town), that would be better. Description of the landscape would also be appreciated. It's not likely I'll get there any time soon.

I am also looking for common curses or derogatory phrases in Serbian. I have a few, I just want to see if my internet sources are correct.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
Is the village in Serbia proper, or a Serb village in the Serb part of Bosnia, or in the non Serb part, or in Kosovo, or Montenegro?

I don't know anything about the subject either way, but I would think that this would make a difference.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
In '06 we took a lovely vacation in Slovenia. We crossed into Croatia to go to the Plitvice National Park and saw the remnants of the war: bullet holes and rocket damage still showed in many homes, especially ones across each other as if these once-neighbors had turned into enemies.

Melenka

Registered
Reaction score
Website
rebeccakovar.com
Sorry, should have been more specific, but the borders in that area were sort of...fluid...in the early 1990s. The area where Bosnia and Croatia currently meet Serbia is of interest, though I will happily take information regarding anywhere else that Serbs and other ethnic groups may have lived peaceably - until they didn't.

Last edited:

Melenka

Registered
Reaction score
Website
rebeccakovar.com
In '06 we took a lovely vacation in Slovenia. We crossed into Croatia to go to the Plitvice National Park and saw the remnants of the war: bullet holes and rocket damage still showed in many homes, especially ones across each other as if these once-neighbors had turned into enemies.

Thank you for that image! That will be quite helpful.

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
My first love (back in the '70s) was a Serb. Among other things, he taught me "Nostrovia!", Serbo-Croat for 'Cheers!' or 'Bottoms up!'

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I hitched down the Zagreb-Belgrade motorway in 1990, just before the whole place went up. I remember Slavonia, which is the long arm of Croatia which points towards Serbia, being a flat uninspiring landscape, with mountains paralleling the road way over to the south. A couple of the drivers told me that in a year or two the whole country would be up in flame, and I thought 'Yeah right'. Milosevic had done his Field of Blackbirds speech down in Kosovo and the whole of Yugoslavia was jumpy. There were no signs saying 'Welcome to Serbia' or 'Welcome to Croatia'. They were too incendiary, so you'd pass from region to region and not even know where the borders were. The locals all knew, though.

The landscape of the country changed dramatically as you went south. In Slovenia you'd imagine you were in Austria or Switzerland. Slavonia was Lincolnshire with assault rifles. Serbia's landscape got rougher and hillier as you travelled from Belgrade towards Nis. Macedonia was wild - an American said it looked like Southern California. And Kosovo was poor. On the way back I spent an evening in a train carriage with some Kosovar lads starting their conscription up in Ljubljana, getting drunk and attempting conversation in broken Russian and German.

I remember a hideous concrete shopping centre in Pristina. There was almost nothing in the shops at all, and they were playing Kylie Minogue's 'I should be so lucky' at ear-splitting volumes over the tannoy.

And there was massive hyperinflation. The notes were all dirty and prices went up daily, almost.

I believe the Serbian for hello is 'Dobor dan'. At least, that's what my Bosnian brother-in-law says. 'Polako' is slow. 'Pola pola' is half-half, meaning you're going to share. That's about my limit in Bosnian...

Last edited: