PDA

View Full Version : Writing a book on Marketing and need a Publisher or Agent

soleary
04-23-2008, 04:37 PM
I've written a book proposal for a popular non-text book on Marketing, much like Meatball Sundae or Tipping Point or Love Marks. Does anyone know of a literary agent or publisher who might be interested in this type of business book?

I'd really appreciate any and all advice you can provide.

Thanks!

Soleary

P2W2
04-23-2008, 06:00 PM
Good luck Soleary.

stormie
04-23-2008, 06:11 PM
...and welcome to AW.

ColoradoGuy
04-23-2008, 06:25 PM
I've written a book proposal for a popular non-text book on Marketing, much like Meatball Sundae or Tipping Point or Love Marks. Does anyone know of a literary agent or publisher who might be interested in this type of business book?

I'd really appreciate any and all advice you can provide.

Thanks!

Soleary
I think any agent who handles nonfiction would be worth querying with it. Check the usual sources (Jeff Herman's guide, Agent Query (http://www.agentquery.com/), etc.)

soleary
04-24-2008, 05:13 AM
Thank you for the pearls of wisdom. I would love to hear from others as well.
Best,

soleary

kimmer
04-24-2008, 06:24 AM
AMACOM is my publisher. My type of title education/college is fairly new for them. Their bread and better is management and business books and, yes, marketing is among their subject areas. Check out their website at amanet.org or you might look at who published all of the books you mentioned. If you have a platform already you are far more likely to be successful.

I agree with Colorado Guy - start doing your research on nonfiction agents who have represented similar books.

Good luck. Oh yeah, I am a huge fan of those kinds of books and I'm a self-proclaimed grassroots marketing nut. By any chance do you read Fast Company magazine? They have great marketing articles.

over and out -

soleary
04-24-2008, 03:54 PM
Kimmer, thanks a ton! I will definitely submit to them. Do you find them to be author friendly? How is their retail distribution?

I see you are a public speaker. Do you speak through AMA? I've addressed conferences threw the PMA, Kidspeak, and a couple of others.

Thanks again -- much appreciated!

kimmer
04-26-2008, 12:10 AM
Kimmer, thanks a ton! I will definitely submit to them. Do you find them to be author friendly? How is their retail distribution?

I see you are a public speaker. Do you speak through AMA? I've addressed conferences threw the PMA, Kidspeak, and a couple of others.

Thanks again -- much appreciated!

This publisher is a good match for me. While I know that business is business, everyone has been super helpful (I'm a first-time book author) and they are really down-to-earth. That makes a difference to me. I haven't encountered any of the horror stories I was warned about. It also helps that they understand my book in a way that other publishers didn't.

Good luck

shawnrohrbach
04-26-2008, 12:44 AM
If you achieve your goals through amacom, then great, stay with them. They have gotten much better over the years and have fixed many of their business practices. I know of some esteemed authors of business who have been declined by them, including myself.

soleary
04-26-2008, 03:32 PM
I reached out to AMACOM, and they are reviewing my proposal. Thanks for the feedback -- much appreciated!

Sarah

MadScientistMatt
04-26-2008, 06:25 PM
Good luck! If this falls through, try getting some copies of similar books and find out who published them and what agent, if any, sold the book.