Not open for further replies.

VGrossack

bored fan with a tic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tapestryofbronze.com
A Mary Sue, if I understand it, is a bland character who does everything right. Is there an expression for a villain who is so consistently evil to the point of boredom?

VGrossack

bored fan with a tic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tapestryofbronze.com
A stereotypical villain, who is so one-dimensional as to be boring. Is there a phrase for that? I guess it would be Mary Sue's evil twin...

Kujai

Who? What?
Registered
Reaction score
If a ‘Mary Sue’ character, as by your definition, always succeeds, then would not the opposite of a ‘Mary Sue’, an ‘Anti-Sue’, be someone who always fails?

For instance an Anti-Sue, if contrasting via your definition of a Mary Sue VGROSSAK, would be someone who is not faultless, infallible, predictable, idealized or one dimensional. The epitome Anti-Sueness would be someone who constantly makes mistakes, has tedious flaws, and has an unorthodox personality with three dimensions. In addition one could say that an Anti-Sue is someone who has fundamental human characteristics instilled in their persona, thus causing them to have bad luck with fate, meaning that an Anti-Sue has practically a zero percent chance of conjuring up a Dues ex machine. To put it simple time and effort would be used to complete even the most basic of tasks. So in order to create an Anti-Sue antagonist, realism is needed to make the character believable, thus eliminating the Mary from Sue.

To answer your other question, ‘a villain who is so consistently evil to the point of boredom,’ I would probably say that…that it’s a Devil-Sue…?

VGrossack

bored fan with a tic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tapestryofbronze.com
Of course, there are several dimensions lending themselves to the definition of "opposite". I like the "Devil Sue."

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
A Mary Sue, if I understand it, is a bland character who does everything right. Is there an expression for a villain who is so consistently evil to the point of boredom?

Voldemort.

:e2sling:

Oh, all right, he is at least endearingly stupid in most of the people he hires.

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
Oooh... ooh. I know!! A Lawyer!
Heh... sorry. Couldn't resist.

I think a perfect evil would be just as obnoxious. I prefer a villain that I can disagree with, but can understand on some level. So... if you are looking for a term, then maybe a Dr. Mary Volde-skel-hitl-sue? Or Devil Sue... that works too.

BTW Lccopr2, Mother Theresa eating babies....I just about snorted coffee all over my laptop. lmao. nice link.

Status
Not open for further replies.