A RISKY QUESTION RE/THE AW POLICE.

Upbeat

Banned
Reaction score
As a relatively new AW member, I've thought of Emeril on Food Network, who complains of intrusions by the sanitary police every time he reluctantly washes hands after handling fresh chicken.
Here, on AW, the content police are bound to show up when they see anything tainted and beyond what they deem outside suitable communication bounds.
Apparently most members have accepted this control; yet, I find it most unusual.
Are there members willing to say what they truly think of this,,,
pro or con?

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
See ya, upbeat. It was nice knowing you...

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Here, on AW, the content police are bound to show up when they see anything tainted and beyond what they deem outside suitable communication bounds.
Apparently most members have accepted this control; yet, I find it most unusual.
I don't know about unusual, but if someone is paying to let you use their cyberspace, it probably stands to reason that they wouldn't want to spend their pennies to be pissed off all the time.

There's plenty of digital acreage for anyone to open their own opinion mill, free of evil overlords.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
As a relatively new AW member, I've thought of Emeril on Food Network, who complains of intrusions by the sanitary police every time he reluctantly washes hands after handling fresh chicken.
Are there members willing to say what they truly think of this,,,
pro or con?

The number one rule here is to respect each other - the mods are usually pretty good about that. However, things lately have been getting heated - threads being started with the sole intent of pissing people off and the like.

This is a private board, so Mac has the final say. She's usually very reasonable, IMHO, and doesn't come down hard unless she has to. And since it is her board, she gets to make the rules. If she deems something out of bounds, so be it whether we agree or not. it's her house, she just lets us come over to play.

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
This is one of the most lenient, open-minded boards I've been on. I admire the way the mods handle it without locking threads unless things really get out of hand. It's been really refreshing for me after some of the boards I've been on in the past.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
AW has rules and guidelines - just like any civilized society. The 'AW Police', as you call us, are members (just like everyone else) who've been around for awhile and who know how that society works. We try to keep things in their proper place, make sure the A#1 Rule (Respect your fellow writer.) is obeyed, and deal with situations (hopefully) before they get out of hand. When they do get out of hand, we have ways of dealing with them... from gentle reminders to stronger warnings to locking threads and giving time-outs and bannings. None of these methods is employed lightly.

The owner of the forum - that would be MacAllister Stone - believes in giving y'all a very long leash and a light rein.

I believed it was the right way to run a forum before I became a mod. I haven't changed my mind.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Would you mind being a little more specific, Upbeat? If something is bothering you here, just come right out and say what's on your mind. And please give us some examples to bolster your claims.

I assure you that you can be candid without fear of recourse, and I trust you have command enough of the language to do so in a well-meaning and thoughtful manner.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
OFG, your... tribbles are upside down.

The moderation here isn't control. It's moderation.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
I don't know about unusual, but if someone is paying to let you use their cyberspace, it probably stands to reason that they wouldn't want to spend their pennies to be pissed off all the time.

There's plenty of digital acreage for anyone to open their own opinion mill, free of evil overlords.
That's such a wonderful visual, Perks...digital acreage. I love it.

Personally, I always wash my hands in between cleaning/cooking chicken, usage of the utensils. There is that salmonella thing, y'know. Emeril doesn't know everything, even though he's got his own TV show...pffffttttt.

As for AW, it's Mac's house, we're her guests. You don't like it, there's always the same portal you came through.

Only thing that pisses me off, is peeps whining about her graciousness of paying for a cool spot for us to hang out w/ each other.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
The Mods here really are pretty lenient...they only wear jackboots because they look so nice with the leather whips. :whip:

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score
Missing Writer??? May flights of angels carry you
As far as I know, the only rule governing this place is that you respect others on this board, bearing in mind the differences in languages, cultures and ages. To me, that should be a rule governing all of us everywhere. It's really pretty simple.

Referring to the mods as the "content police" breaks that rule.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
As far as I know, the only rule governing this place is that you respect others on this board, bearing in mind the differences in languages, cultures and ages. To me, that should be a rule governing all of us everywhere. It's really pretty simple.

Referring to the mods as the "content police" breaks that rule.
Aren't we supposed to police the content that comes out of our widdle mouths, via our fingers, of course. This being a virtual conversation, and all...

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
It's never (well, almost never) about opinions expressed. It's about the way they're expressed.

It only takes a few individuals to start a flame war and completely obscure the topic at hand, as well as making other, more reasonable people disinclined to participate.

The mods aren't always right. They even occasionally admit it. But this is the best internet community I've ever seen, and the best run, and there's not a single mod here I don't respect. (Which is more than I can say for the posters in general.)

Don't forget, this is a writers' board. If one can't get one's point across without running afoul of a mod, or if one can't make one's opinion of a fellow writer clear without resorting to insults, one might might want to work on one's writing skills.

Oops, too many "ones". I think I'll go back and work on my own skills.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
In all practicality, I know the oft quoted "respect your fellow writer" rule. It's a good rule. But I'd also submit that there are times when someone's just being an asshole. You could contort 'respect your fellow writer' to wrap around the transgression if you tried, but I'm happy to avoid the semantics and watch said asshole be relieved of his toys.

Except when it's me. Then it pisses me off.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's never (well, almost never) about opinions expressed. It's about the way they're expressed.

It only takes a few individuals to start a flame war and completely obscure the topic at hand, as well as making other, more reasonable people disinclined to participate.

The mods aren't always right. They even occasionally admit it. But this is the best internet community I've ever seen, and the best run, and there's not a single mod here I don't respect. (Which is more than I can say for the posters in general.)

Don't forget, this is a writers' board. If one can't get one's point across without running afoul of a mod, or if one can't make one's opinion of a fellow writer clear without resorting to insults, one might might want to work on one's writing skills.

Oops, too many "ones". I think I'll go back and work on my own skills.

I count six "ones", rugcat. BANNINATION for you! I await the mod's flying monkeys which will come to carry you off...

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Well, one would think that - but occasionally, someone is too busy inserting their foot into their mouth to worry about their fingers.
Now, see that would make me never want to eat in Emeril's kitchen, ever, using the OP's original example.

ETA: Clarification question: Cops wear badges. That being the case, I was under the impression that Mac had the mods wear shock collars. Can someone please clear this up for me.

Thank you.

Last edited:

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Food, moderation and respect. I think Gordon Ramsey would make a good moderator here.

JJ

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I feel I have been invited to this place. As a guest, it is my responsibility to behave as a guest. If I do not like it, I am free to leave and not return.

The mods have their hands full when you consider that there are approx. 21,000 folks that pass through here at any given time and make replies to any number of given threads. My hat is off to them and to Mac for letting us use her 'dime' to do all this. Jenna G. was the same way. (The orginal founder of this site.)

So if you have a beef with anything....I suggest that you PM Mac and let her 'chat' with you. (I have seen her 'chat' and she does it sooooo well.....lol)

I am sorry you feel like your views/input or those of others are not allowed to stay here when they break the 'code' of behavior for this site. IMHO

Upbeat

Banned
Reaction score
Would you mind being a little more specific, Upbeat? If something is bothering you here, just come right out and say what's on your mind. And please give us some examples to bolster your claims.

I assure you that you can be candid without fear of recourse, and I trust you have command enough of the language to do so in a well-meaning and thoughtful manner.

...no claims made - simply an observation.
As for 'fear of recourse' - that usually is a realm confined to cultures where the people fear speaking their minds.
While rules and guidelines govern most sites, I find the monitoring system unusual.