Christian Book - Finding an Agent

PhillipE

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings all, I've just completed a new non-fiction Christian book. Initially it will be published by Lulu. However, I may want to have an agent place it with a traditional publisher at some point.

Can someone please give me tips on finding a reputable agent that specializes in the Christian market? Or perhaps refer me to an agent that is already working with someone here.

Thanks,

Phil

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
Welcome to the Cooler Phil.

For starters, I think you should spend a goodly amount of time reading threads in our Bewares and Background Checks board.

One of the things you'll learn there, is that it is an exceptionally rare instance when a legitimate agent will have anything to do with a self-published book. (However, there's lots of ersatz agents more interested in the contents of your wallet than your literary future, who will try to tell you otherwise.)

Congratulations on finishing a book. That's quite an accomplishment. Good luck but please do avail yourself of the accumulated wisdom that can be found on these forums. The more you learn, the less luck you'll need.

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
I wouldn't have thought you need an agent. Have a look in a Christian bookshop and see which publishers you think might be interested. Do your research on them and then contact them directly.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I agree. Do not go the Lulu route if you intend to find a commercial publisher. Visit a Christian bookstore and see what books are similar to yours. See who published them and research them using Writers Market 2008 available at your library or bookstore. (Sorry, I'm sort of repeating what girlyswot said, but it's worth repeating.)

If you need help writing a query letter, visit the Query Letter Critique forum in the Share Your Work forum here at AW.

allen

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Anymore the you'll find more CBA publishers requiring an agent than not. The last Christian writers conference I attended (Oct 07) I could count on less than one hand the ones still open to an unagented author. The nature of the biz.

soleary

Registered
Reaction score
You might want to go straight to a printer such as Tyndale in Carol Stream, IL. Jeff Herman's book on agents and publishers will also give you specifics on those interested in religion/spirituality. Good luck!

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
Do the publishers you want to work with use Christian Manuscript Submissions?

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Lucas, I'm not at all experienced in NF, however:

AW is an invaluable resource. I strongly suggest you go to the Share Your Work board (password: vista) and read the NF pieces posted there for critique. See how they're doing it; post your own opinions and suggestions. When you reach 50 posts, you'll be able to put a piece of your own work up for critique. SYW is filled with helpful people--we're all in this together, yanno? :)

As for finding an agent--yep. That's how we all did it. You write a killer query (or proposal, perhaps for NF--again I'm not sure). There's the Query Letter Hell board in SYW for that. I sent out 185 queries before I connected with an agent who loved my writing enough to be the right person to sell it. That's how the business works at this time if your goal is commercial publishing.

Never give up! Never surrender!