my Katrina play to get a staged reading!

steveg144

Crusty Polemicist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CrustyPolemicist.blogspot.com
I submitted my Katrina play, "Bottom of the Ninth," to NCCU (the historically black college in Durham, NC) many many months ago for a contest call
they put out for plays that deal with issues of race and class in 21st-century America. The Katrina play was a perfect fit, so I tossed it over
the transom and promptly forgot about it. So this morning I'm going trough my mail, and there's one of my self-addressed stamped envelopes that
I stuff into all my submissions so I can get the inevitable rejection note. I get 2-4 of these a week containing rejections from various submissions
I have circulating around. So I open it and it starts "Thank you for submitting your play, 'Bottom
of the Ninth,' to NCCU Theatre Department's New Theatre Project." OK, a rejection, I stuff it in my pocket and make coffee. Sipping my
coffee, I read on: "We are happy to inform you that your script was selected for a staged reading. Production dates will be Nov 7-9. Each performance will be followed by a discussion between the playwright and the audience. We are excited about staging your play, and look forward to seeing you at the staged readings and the post-performance discussions."

Well, stick me in a dress and call me 'Susan'! It goes without saying that I immediately painted my ass blue and ran naked around the woods out back.
No, seriously. Neighbors called the cops and everything. Went out as an APB: "Reports of a doughy bald guy with a blue ass running naked in the woods, One-Adam-Twelve respond, over."

I am stunned and delighted.

steveg144

Crusty Polemicist
Registered
Reaction score
Website

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
I'm sorry I missed it too. Congratulations. You must be absolutely ecstatic! Hope it goes really well for you!

By the way, the Playwrights Forum link is fantastic! Thanks so much!

steveg144

Crusty Polemicist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm sorry I missed it too. Congratulations. You must be absolutely ecstatic! Hope it goes really well for you!

By the way, the Playwrights Forum link is fantastic! Thanks so much!

It is a great place. The Opportunities forum alone is well worth visiting regularly. Here's another good link; strictly listings for play-submission opportunities:

http://enavantplaywrights.yuku.com/

soleary

Registered
Reaction score
CONGRATULATIONS! I am most impressed with your gleeful celebration. I'll have to ask for some pointers if and when I get the phone ring!

steveg144

Crusty Polemicist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CONGRATULATIONS! I am most impressed with your gleeful celebration. I'll have to ask for some pointers if and when I get the phone ring!

Well, for starters, don't emulate my trick with my posterior and the blue paint the the running around the subdivision behavior. Freaks out the neighborhood dogs and brings unwelcome attention from the local law-enforcement authorities. :D