Do you tip at Sonic?

• Total voters

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Just wondering if there's a universal etiquette to modern drive-up dining.

soniclogo.gif

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. I tip right around 20% everywhere I go. Good or bad service.

Person might be having a bad day.

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
Even fast food?

Not if I go in or go through a drive through....but at Sonic they bring it to the car. I figure if they're delivering the food to a table or car I tip.

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
I choose "only if...." because I tipped the first time I went there -- she was on roller skates, for bleepin's sake! -- which was also the first week or so after they opened. After that, I felt kinda dumb if I tipped. The only other fast food we patronize is In N' Out, and who's to tip? It all goes by in a blur, can't tell one funny-hatter from the next. Plus, my understanding is that, at In N' Out, they actually pay the employees.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
I choose "only if...." because I tipped the first time I went there -- she was on roller skates, for bleepin's sake! -- which was also the first week or so after they opened. After that, I felt kinda dumb if I tipped. The only other fast food we patronize is In N' Out, and who's to tip? It all goes by in a blur, can't tell one funny-hatter from the next. Plus, my understanding is that, at In N' Out, they actually pay the employees.

Plus they get to wear those wicked cool giant safety pins that could kill a baby elephant (if one were so inclined. I think they make you sign a pledge when you start working there that you will not use it to kill baby elephants but most of them probably do anyway.)

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I'd tip, if I ever went to Sonic. I worked as a bartender in college and people would tip me just to draw a beer and hand it to them. So delivering food on rollerskates deserves a tip, IMO.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Never been to a Sonic, but if I have to pay for food before I get it I don't tip.

Even if they bring you the food, fill up your water glasses, and clean your table after you're done?

I always tip if there's any kind of service. I used to be a waiter, so I know how every penny counts.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Never been to a Sonic, but if I have to pay for food before I get it I don't tip.

That's what I always assumed too, but this weekend my sister mentioned that she always tips at Sonic, which had never even occurred to me. I have a feeling I need to make a trip to my local Sonic and start throwing money out the window to make up for years of not tipping.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
For those that do not understand why he is asking this....this last year Sonic started a system that you drive to a box...give your order and then drive on around and wait in line for a 'live' person to bring it to you. No window service like most places. I see they are doing that with all of their places....at least here in Arizona.

I think it is a rip off, but i do give a tip. Not sure what wages the kids are making, but figure it is not much. It use to be you ordered then drove up to the window and paid....no tip.

I hope the other fast food places do not start this.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
That's what I always assumed too, but this weekend my sister mentioned that she always tips at Sonic, which had never even occurred to me. I have a feeling I need to make a trip to my local Sonic and start throwing money out the window to make up for years of not tipping.

Or just accept that you're fracking cheap.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Curious -- do they get paid less than minimum wage?
Significantly less. They rely upon tips to make up the difference.

I had friends in high school (late 90s) who worked at Sonic, and they were getting somewhere in the low $2 per hour range.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
We do. (And it works out -- we love their mints; it usually gets us a handful of extra mints rather than 1-2. :D)

We still have the window service, though, or did last time I was there.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I'm guessing this poll is not intended for me. I picked "What is Sonic?" because we don't have one in these here parts.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
Significantly less. They rely upon tips to make up the difference.

I had friends in high school (late 90s) who worked at Sonic, and they were getting somewhere in the low $2 per hour range.

That's about what I made as a bartender, but the tips made up the difference and then some (when were were busy--if there was a snowstorm, no).

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
That's about what I made as a bartender, but the tips made up the difference and then some (when were were busy--if there was a snowstorm, no).
Most people do know to tip bartenders. I hope. Isn't necessarily the case with Sonic.

For the benefit of those without access to the Sonic fast food chain:

I'm in the Dallas area, so things may be different elsewhere. I haven't been to Sonic in a few years, but last time I went, they still used the stall system where you pull into a parking spot with the menu and speaker and everything. You order as if at a drive-through. Then they carry the food out. Now, you can either pay with cash when they hand you the food, or you can pay immediately after you place the order via plastic.

As far as I know, the payment scheme for their carhops hasn't changed, but it could have...