Are We In A Woman's World Of Publishing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I thought that would get your attention...

I read this great interview article involving Nat Sobel, about the state of publishing, editors and agents in today's industry.

Below is cribbed from:http://pw.org/content/agents_amp_edi...gent_nat_sobel

People in the business talk about how eight out of ten readers, or whatever the number actually is, are women. I think it's very difficult for young male writers to get published, especially today. I wonder what you think about that and how you've dealt with that in your career.

I certainly think it's very difficult for male writers who are not writing thrillers. They have a much tougher road. We've read a number of pretty good novels by male writers that we know just won't go. Male coming-of-age novels are impossible to sell. We've already talked about how it's getting more and more difficult to sell fiction. Let me give you a better picture of it by looking back on last year. Five of us in the agency read submissions—everyone downstairs and Judith and myself. Five of us. We have an editorial meeting on Thursdays. I never talk to Judith about what I've read except at this meeting so it's all fresh for all of us. We generally read partial manuscripts, or complete manuscripts. Everyone averages about two of those per week. So, in an average year, that's more than five hundred manuscripts. Last year, from those five hundred books, we took on three new writers. And we were only able to sell one of them. Remember that much of what we get is from writers I've written to after reading their stories in the literary journals—we get very little over the transom. So look at those odds.
They're very tough.
Damn right. We've spent a lot of time editing through second and third drafts and finally abandoning books because we don't think we can get the writer up to the level we want. We have to give up on them. Occasionally those books will get published too. But the odds are really difficult, and for the male writers it's even harder.
Is there anything they can do to make their odds better?
I'm always looking for the unusual. I think it may require writing something of a historical nature, with a historical setting. They have to be able to get an idea of what's on the best-seller list today and see that, outside the thriller genre, there aren't too many male fiction writers who are succeeding. And I don't think that's going to change for a while.
But isn't that troubling?
Sure it's troubling. I think it's troubling for all literary fiction writers today. But particularly for the male writers, who are only gradually becoming aware of how limiting that audience is. But I think you can find good male writers who can write from the woman's point of view, too. I remember a first novel I sold years ago. The writer himself was in his early thirties, but the novel was a first-person novel from the point of view of a sixty-two-year-old woman. It was entirely in first person, and it was a terrific story. It began his career. So if a male writer can write from the female point of view, or has a story that will interest a woman's audience, I think he has a better chance than somebody who's writing the kind of Hemingway-esque stuff we read in school.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
My Comments to another poster about this article:

tri, it can't be all genre fic can it?
i'm thinking suspese, thrillers, sci fi / fantasy,
mystery, horror etc...there's great male authors
in all those fields.

some interesting thoughts from sobel in
this article. what i am sad about is the fact
that debut authors are such a hard sell,
esp debut fiction authors.

Well, I dunno. I felt a disturbance in the force when he said that male writers don't stand much of a chance unless they're selling thrillers. That's kind of a wide blanket statement, and I wouldn't necessarily agree with it. I would only disagree about fantasy--lot's of good male writers there. You're correct about males doing particulary well in SF and Horror, although the horror market is pretty much sewn up by the "name" authors like King, Koontz, Barker, Bradner, Matheson and Campbell and others(sp?). The horror audience is not large enough to sustain a new flux of male horror writers. I've seen (I think) one horror success story at AW as far as a major debut sale--Liam Jackson's books. There's probably more. My agent told me that SF is such a small market that it was best I switch genres. This was after a devastating round of no-takers in several rounds of SF submissions.

Maybe what Sobel meant was that the smaller male audience will read techno and espionage thrillers, so those are the ones that should be written by men? I've heard that 65% of all books bought are by women, thus they are the dominent audience. I agree with that figure. But...Sobel says (actually the interviewer says) that eight out of ten books are read by women. If that's the case, and it's changed that drastically in the last few years, then male authors are in real deep shite.

I do have a current thriller now repped--male protag--but the big houses are saying that it's too hard to push that right now. My next up is a paranormal romance with a female protag, and I think that I just might stay right there for a while. I've seriously considered changing my name from Chris to Christine in the sub line. Hah! There is really no other place for me to go. Keep in mind, this is my experience

Yes, the hard sell on debut authors in the article was discouraging overall.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

So, guys...what do you think of this trend? I've seen it firsthand, and it's clearly a marketing decision because the numbers don't lie--the female audience is supporting more purchases and readership, so naturally the bean counters will lean in that direction. That's a given.

But, please. This is not a thread to flame genders, or declare that this is another women empowering women kind of thing. It's not. Male writers just might have to adapt in order to jump some hurdles here.

OTOH, which of you guys thinks this is all a bunch of crap and could care less about it? And your reasons for thinking so.

Tri

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
First off, we know the things readers look at in bookstores -- the title, the cover art, the back cover, and the inner blubs. They look at author's name once they know the author, but not nearly as much before then.

Secondly, the huge, ugly supposition in all of this stuff from Sobel and others is the (I personally feel totally incorrect) idea that women will only read about women and/or something written by women.

I point to a man who writes excellent female characters. He also writes literary fiction. Like everyone else, he wasn't "huge" when he broke in with a quirky, LONG novel. But, I think John Irving is great, I love his books, and I don't care that he's a man writing about women. I doubt anyone who reads his books has a problem with the fact that he can write such great female characters.

There are just as many male-oriented books out there that a whole lof of us women have read. Some written by men, some by women.

I could go on for hours about all the things I find insidiously unhelpful about that whole article, but since I think it was written in a spirit of helpfulness, I'll refrain.

Besides, I want to make a different, but very related, comment.

Is it tough to break in? Yes, it is.

But -- it's tough to break in to ANY field out there. It's extremely hard in the arts, yes, but it's not a walk in the park in other ventures, either.

You want to be a success in sales? Well, you'd better be prepared for a LOT of cold calling and a LOT of rejection. Hope you can hang in there in time to land that first account, or that first big account, and so on.

Starting your own small business? God go with you. Most will fail withinn the first 2 years, another huge chunk at 7 years, and yet another at 10 years. Make it to 12 years and you can sort of breath easy. But only sort of, since trends change and zones get altered and maybe you hired a really bad accountant.

Want to be a professional? Enjoy all the schooling and hope you can achieve enough to be the "star" of your practice. Or else, um, you can start that small business...rates of success about the same for professionals and regular joes, your mileage may vary.

Oh, and to become that professional in the first place, hope you studied really hard in college. Oh, wow, LOOK at the dropout rates! And, gosh, did you even get IN to college? No institution at the 4-year level has an "all who come are served" policy, after all.

Hey, want a good, successful marriage? My goodness, hard as the dickens to come by, particularly if you look at statistics. In fact, if you do look, you'd get the impression that no one in the world ever stays happily married.

And on it goes. Nothing in life that's worth having is attained without hard work and perseverance. It's no different with writing.

BUT...every day a new salesman starts and gets an account that keeps him going; a small business owner takes the plunge and makes her business a success; a student applies to college, manages to pass, and gets a good job; professionals succeed in their chosen fields; a couple will get married and manage to hang in there together through all the stuff in the vows all the way through to the 'til death do us part portion; and someone in the arts and letters will click with the right person already 'in the biz' and start a career that sustains them.

Will it be you? Well, sure, why NOT? As long as you create the best product you can, present it in the best possible manner, work extremely hard, and persevere, even in the face of depressing statistics and even more depressing personal rejection-statistics.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
If I didn't write in fantasy--which you point out specifically as an exception--I might be worried. When I look at my genre, however, I see plenty of male names. Granted, increasingly few works deal with male coming-of-age, which isn't a bad thing at all.

For proof, let's look at some of the male-written fantasy series I have on my bookshelves which are still being published as I type...

- A Song of Ice and Fire by George
- Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steve
- The Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone by Greg

Whoa. I never thought about it that way. All three series present multiple concurrent plotlines from both male and female perspectives. All three depict women in positions of power (consider: Queen Cersei, Empress Laseen, Queen Muriele). They're all heavy on war and politics.

Huh. Maybe I need to rethink what I've been writing--I tend to create smaller-scope, character-oriented tales--but I don't think being male will present me any obstacles.

Last edited:

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
Good points Jeanne. I have to admit, I liked the article okay, but I found it a bit depressing and one-sided, and in more than a few areas. I like his ideas about how important it is for an agent to get involved and do some editing. But he's got some real old-school views of just how much editing he thinks is required on the agent's part TODAY. That's not the reality TODAY. I think the Perkins days are over. My agent is not my editor, that's for damn sure. I'm responsible for getting it as clean as I can before he lays eyes on it.

Another thing--he gets almost all his clients, so says he, from literary journals? Do all his sub-agents fish from that market? How strange, when he says he almost never pulls anything from the transom.

And I did some checking. Forty-five of his sixty-five clients are men.

Tri

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
And I did some checking. Forty-five of his sixty-five clients are men.
I don't believe that can necessarily be used to reflect on the state of the genres he works in, but it might say something about his personal bias. He could easily defend his client base as his reaction against his perception of a female-dominated industry, which I'm unconvinced is true. I'm concerned about his objectivity.

It's hard for me to say more without further information.

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
I just get tired of all the gloom. I took Statistics in college and learned that you can make a statistic do or show anything you want -- it's all in how you spin it.

Example: There are fewer male writers in fantasy right now, so it's a great time for a male writer with an appealing storyline to break in.

And, I also have to say that this is a personal, old-fashioned value, but I want my agent out there doing what agents are supposed to do -- get my books in front of editors at the approriate publishing houses and get my books sold -- more than running a blog. Not that there is ANYthing wrong with those agents who spend good time doing that, because I do feel they're doing it with hearts in the right place, and how they spend their time isn't any of my business. But, still, in the time he's discouraging half the population, couldn't he have checked one book from the slushpile and maybe found that surprise breakout novel? I mean, I know what the odds are...um, just like the odds of everything else in life, really.

If it's all a crapshoot, I'm going to hold onto the dice as long as I can, and not let anyone take them away from me, just because they *think* I might crap out next roll. (Apparently I have spent far too much time in the gambling dens of Las Vegas...or, in my opinion, not enough time...but I digress...:D)

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
Yes, Sp, male writers are certainly out in force with epic fantasy--huge guns going off there. Hey, UF as well. I've written couple of urban fantasy stories.

And, whoa! Wait a minute. Don't we have gaggles of male mystery writers out there, and damn good ones? I'll lump suspense in with mystery.

There was no mention of action adventure writers. Besides Rollins, who else?

Tri

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
If you consider the fact that many female writers (myself included) use initials before the surname to "appear" male, I can't see any odds against male writers. And, really, if you're a man and you've written the best chick lit book EVER, and yet your agent is worried about your being accepted by the readers, use a female pen name.

Carolyn Keene (the original one) was a man, after all...and he managed to write the definitive chick mystery lit of his day. (Hey, for the time period, Nancy Drew WAS a hip chick doing wild things with her pals and her main man.)

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Well it's an opinion I suppose. And probably a whopping generalisation. I know more men who read than women. By far.

But as a gal, I read almost exclusively male writers. Thrillers, horror, fantasy, sci fi, whatever. I have *quickly checks* four female authors on my shelves. Compared to about errrr....quick guess fifty plus male authors. That's not including books I've read from the library or whathave you.

It's not that I go out of my way to target male writers, it's just that they happen to have written books I like.

And sci fi is a small market? No way. I know a lot of people who read a lot and they all read scifi (among other things). In fact we regularly bemoan the fact there are too few sci fi books on the shelves.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
SF is a great reading market, especially with the tons of reprints and backlist from your golden age greats, not-so-old greats, and new titles from contemporary stars. I can sell SF novels to the small press all day long. But I've never busted into the majors (as a writer), and that's with 110 agented submissions, spanning five books over six years. But that's just me. SF accounts for about 4% of fiction sales total. For me, that's not good enough odds. Reluctantly, I backed out of it. I'm going to watch SF from the sidelines.

I've noticed that women who are readers and writers buy about equal when it comes to author gender--it doesn't seem to really matter. They might buy a little heavier in the genre they write in. So I agree with that. I think it's the other demographic of females out there--the ones who read only, that drives the female-oriented titles up, thus accounting for the 65% rule, which states that 65% of all books are purchased by women. Now the romance category, with all of its sub-genres, is by far the best selling genre out of all of them, with something like 45%-55% (help me if I'm wrong here) share of the entire market. So there's a correlation.

There is no question that paranormal romance, paranormal thriller, and urban fantasy are dominating the buyer's market right now. Even the historicals have seen an upsurge. YA is is blazing right now, still lit, I believe, by the embers of Potter.

Who are writing in these genres? Predominently Women. Because it is women readers who are driving the demand. The supermarkets and department stores know this and stack the racks at the checkout stands with lots of these types of books. Cause the gals are going to buy and read them.

As a guy, I want to know how to tap into this larger market. I want to write for my female audience, too. I was woefully gender biased with my characterizations for over tweny years--had these caramel-sweet, fluffy bunnies running around that didn't do anything until a man told them what to do.

I've done a 180 degree flip-flop. My women are strong, smart, savvy and hold positions of power and influence. They make decisions and get themselves out of impossible jams. And I agree here with Sobel, men are going to have to learn how to write a good story in the female POV. Convincingly. And if you don't want to do that, you might as well just say "FO" to half your audience.

And I don't know how the other guys are, but for the longest time I could never, ever write a good sex scene. It was blunt force trauma--you know, the earth shook and everything went black, then they woke up together and shared a smoke. I knew about romance, dating, flirting and that gooey stuff, but I was ashamed to write about. Well, I got over that, too. So, for the first time in my life and after 18 books, I have a teenage girl running the show in one of my paranormals. Now watch that one be the one that sells!

Tri

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
I was at a seminar at the university of Chicago last year when the guest agent, Peter Miller, took about 10 minutes to describe that in order to succeed in publishing a novel you had better understand thta the business is dominated by woman in all aspects, and all levels of the industry. If you don't appeal to an audience that comprises a majority of woman the chances of getting published are slim and none. This was last year..

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I was at a seminar at the university of Chicago last year when the guest agent, Peter Miller, took about 10 minutes to describe that in order to succeed in publishing a novel you had better understand thta the business is dominated by woman in all aspects, and all levels of the industry. If you don't appeal to an audience that comprises a majority of woman the chances of getting published are slim and none. This was last year..

I agree with this. I think I prefer it this way, truth be told. I don't consider this while writing, but feel that my writing brain has a fairly solid grip on this truth. (Besides, that damn computer generated 'guess the gender of the writer' thingy has never guessed---not even once---that I am a male writer. I think I'm safe.)

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I can't see how it matters what sex you are. If you write something that the publisher thinks will make them money, you will be published. I also think that the article is unnecessarily pessimistic - and maybe for controversy's sake at that.

Genre writing is what sells - people will gravitate to the type of books they like best - whether romance, thrillers, sci-fi, fantasy etc. I worked for many years in a large library and in general I would say that most people would only read within their favourite genre, and literary fiction was just not as popular.

One interesting thing that I noticed is that women will read a book within their favourite genre that has a MC of either sex, but many men would not read a book with a female MC.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I can't see how it matters what sex you are. If you write something that the publisher thinks will make them money, you will be published.

Definitely. And most often the publisher is also thinking, "Will this appeal to women?" because they know how powerful they are in the book buying world.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
One interesting thing that I noticed is that women will read a book within their favourite genre that has a MC of either sex, but many men would not read a book with a female MC.

Interesting. Another thing I've read is that women will read work by authors of either sex, but men tend not to read work written by women, regardless of genre. Among the people I know, this is true. None of my male friends ever read books by female authors, but my reading splits about 50/50.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Get new male friends! Ha. Kidding. I do have some ladies on my bookshelf, but consider Hobb's Farseer/Fool trilogies. They're written by a woman, sure, but they're written about men. What gives away Hobb's femininity as a writer is that her story focuses heavily--some might say solely--on relationships.

And Tri, since you seem to be interested in discussing this: what caused you to improve your female characters? Why do you think the epiphany occurred?

Last edited:

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
Both publishers of my historical novel are women, as are their editors and test readers, and they all love my MC who is male. I also included several strong and interesting women in the novel, and I received no complaints from them how I portrayed those characters. I like to believe good writing trumps sex of the author --and age too -- although from my experience, I have seen evidence of assorted biases at some agencies and publishing houses and always in Hollywood.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
I find this ironic, because lately I've heard that there's not ENOUGH men in urban fantasy. Heh. I've heard scuttlebutt that editors are looking for more UF with 'male heroes' a la Jim Butcher and the like.

I've heard the same thing in YA - editors are DYING for more male protag books. The market is glutted with 'girl' stuff so books oriented towards the male side get a much closer look and stand out a lot more.

Now granted, both of these are talking about protags, but I tend to think that most of the time (notice I said MOST), guys write guy characters, and girls write girl characters.

So maybe they're looking in the wrong genre? I don't know. :)

timewaster

present
Registered
Reaction score
Now granted, both of these are talking about protags, but I tend to think that most of the time (notice I said MOST), guys write guy characters, and girls write girl characters.

Is this true at all?

I find it easier to write men.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
I write with a lot of male protags although my one story that did get published was female and the story was about dieting. I think I write this way because I grew up reading science fiction and there are more male protags than female but the female protags are pretty awesome themselves.

The one that comes to mind first is "Moving Mars" by Greg Bear. Wonderful female protag. Tad Williams in his Otherland series has some good female protags as well.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
All righty, maybe I'm wrong. I am coming from the romance-end of the spectrum, so take with a big grain of salt. To me, gal writer = gal character 90% of the time. :)

YMMV.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think there's a lot of substance to this -- I think a good male writer with a good manuscript is going to do just fine. Do you have to appeal to a female audience? Yes. What sort of chafes me is the idea in that interview that this is some unspeakable burden -- gasp, shock, talking to women.

Also, I think some men may find it jarring to be in publishing, a very female-dominated industry, without ever considering how most industries are somewhat (or extremely) dominated by men. To them publishing feels lopsided and unfair, when in fact the rarity of a female-dominated industry is the real measure of unfairness.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I think it's bull. Go to a bookstore and count the number of male writers, especially those who are not thriller/suspense writers.

Granted, there ARE a lot of female writers, and there is some kind of gender divide, somewhere (more male writers write thrillers, and genre romance is mostly written by females). Still, it's not the rule. Men can write romance (and literary romances such as the Notebook or Cold Mountain are written by a lot of men). Many men write great stories with female protagonists and themes that women can relate to (Memoirs of a Geisha, Atonement, etc. for example). Most of the time, once I start reading, I don't even care or remember the sex of the author.

However, there's certain nugget of truth that women outnumber men as far as readership (fiction) is concerned. So, it does pay revenue if you consider your target audience (I'm sure Arthur Golden and Nicholas Sparks had women in mind, probably their respective wives, when they wrote their books).

It's also probably true that women dominate the business, but you know what? They're looking out for their readers, which include men. They're mostly looking for great stories about the human condition. I doubt that, all things considered, they would say, "Oh, this is written by a man. I can never relate. Pass." Likewise, I'm sure readers are going to pick up a thriller/suspense eagerly without regard whether a man or a woman wrote it, if it's a good book.

There are probably genres that are traditionally difficult for men to break in, such as romance, but there are always exceptions. I'd say, write a good book, and the rest will take care of themselves.

Last edited:

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
FWIW: Couple of quick notes here. Just more info, and like all statistics, it can all be argued for either party.
I know nothing about the literary circle... so this was a very down and dirty summation of some things I looked over.
Time's Top 100 Novels (1923 to present): 72 are obviously male (ralph, j.r.r., william, etc.), while 11 are unknown as I could not immediately tell from the name. (any that were initials, or male names feminized, Terri, Toni, etc.)
Modern Library's Top 100 Novels: 75 are obviously male, while 15 are unknown.
And Modern Library's Reader's List (same link): 84 obviously male, 5 unknown.
My error margin is probably somewhere around +/- 5... but there you go.

According to the University of California, regardless of race, women grocery shopped 75% more than men.
According to the Bureau of Labor's Annual Time Use Survey, women spend 12 minutes more per hour then men while shopping (all consumer goods... this is a rough approximation, you can read the data charts yourself and come up with something that makes more sense, lol).

And... IMHO, men don't buy crap. lol. The women in my acquaintance, myself included, shop for ourselves, the home, our spouse and children, as well as purchase all the gifts. My husband doesn't buy his father a book about golfing for father's day, I do. So yeah... I'd say 65% was low. But it also means we aren't purchasing solely for ourselves. :)
I also have to say that I read mostly sci-fi/fantasy and romance, but I have never once put a book down, or not picked a book up, because of what I assumed the author's gender was. It wouldn't even occur to me.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have noticed that editing seems to be dominated by women. But the end product, what I see on my bookshelves is a pretty even mix of male and female writers (and my bookshelves are pretty ecclectic.)

I look at my husband's and see that they are almost entirely male writers, but his genres tend that way: epic fantasy, horror, political thrillers, military fiction and NF.

What I hear in MG writing is that they are always looking for "boy-friendly" books and male writers, but that it's hard to find them. Just to toss another stereotype out there for discussion: The prevailing wisdom on this is that men aren't as interested in writing for children as women are.

Status
Not open for further replies.