Published Authors - Pre-Pub Sales??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Star

So cool I am
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings Fellow Writers,

If your book is set to come out in September, when would it be available for preorders on Amazon, etc?

Susan Breen

Registered
Reaction score
I think about 3 or 4 months before. (You'd think I'd know for sure, since my novel just came out, but I'm losing my mind.)

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
My book was released in February. It was on Amazon in June or July, so about six months prior.

Star

So cool I am
Registered
Reaction score
Susan, don't lose it! :)

Will, okay thanks! :)

Just curious. Does pre-pub sales have any bearing on your publisher's forecast about the success of your book?

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
It can be as many as several months prior -- my November release, Stargazer, is already available for pre-order on Amazon and B&N.com, and has been for about a month now. (OTOH, that's the second in a series, and maybe they put series titles up a little earlier? No idea.)

Pre-publishing sales are a good sign, naturally, although lack of pre-pub sales probably doesn't count against you to any great degree; plenty of books take a while to gain traction.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
Just curious. Does pre-pub sales have any bearing on your publisher's forecast about the success of your book?

As Claudia says, they're not going to hold poor sales against you before the book comes out. How could they? The people who buy the book before it's released are your family and friends.

After it's out and a little publicity is generated, it's a different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.