PDA

View Full Version : I am proud to admit...

Mjollnir13
04-21-2008, 09:32 AM
I love all of the Star Wars movies...even the prequels!!!

Episode 1 is on Spike. Not sure why I am watching it when the dvd is 10 feet away from me?!

Dale Emery
04-21-2008, 11:36 AM
My sweetie and I recently watched all six within a week or so. I liked the three prequels much better when I watched them one after the other.

Dale

James81
04-21-2008, 05:34 PM
Not only do I like the movies, but I will go you one further.

I belong to a Star Wars message board. lol (www.phatooine.net/forums)

Mjollnir13
04-21-2008, 07:31 PM
Good to hear others like the prequels. I just brought it up because so many people slam the prequels.

ChunkyC
04-21-2008, 09:47 PM
While there were flaws in the prequels (I personally think Lucas spent too much of his energy on the technical side of making them and not enough on the storytelling), I too like them as part of the overall story arc. When you watch all six of them in sequence, the prequels make a lot more sense. And knowing Anakin's history ahead of time really makes a difference in the feel of the original three. In Episode IV, Vader is no longer a cartoon villain. You can see his uber-nastiness as almost a shield against admitting who he was in his pre-Vader life.

Will Lavender
04-21-2008, 09:48 PM
I thought Episodes I and II were seriously flawed.

But Episode III was, at least in my opinion, as good as any of the originals with the exception of Empire. Terrific, and underrated, movie.

III
04-21-2008, 09:55 PM
I really liked most of Episode 1 except for a few aspects which I despised (Jar Jar, Little Orphan Annie, ohbytheway the Force is really microscopic organisms), but Darth Maul was awesome and Ewan as Kenobi was fantastic.

I loved Episode 2 because it was the real crux of the series in terms of character and story development, although the dialouge was arguably some of the worst in movie history.

I didn't like Episode 3 at all. The whole thing felt cobbled together and the acting and dialogue were even worse than the previous episodes. In the first scene, Obi Wan's ship is covered with those little droids and he can't shake them. Use the Force to knock them off, halfwit! I really liked Padme, but couldn't wait for her to die by the end of 3. And the evil Emperor's makeup in 3 was just terrible.

ETA: Oh, and I didn't like Return of the Jedi either. Ewoks? c'mon.

Jersey Chick
04-21-2008, 10:02 PM
I'm not crazy about the three prequels (though I do like Revenge of the Sith - kind of), but I did a double-take when Spike showed Return of the Jedi and saw that they changed Anakin at the end. In the original, it was an older guy. In the Spike version, it was Hayden Christiansen (???) - I thought that was kind of cool.

James81
04-21-2008, 10:07 PM
I'm not crazy about the three prequels (though I do like Revenge of the Sith - kind of), but I did a double-take when Spike showed Return of the Jedi and saw that they changed Anakin at the end. In the original, it was an older guy. In the Spike version, it was Hayden Christiansen (???) - I thought that was kind of cool.

I think that that actually outraged quite a few Star Wars geeks. lol

CaroGirl
04-21-2008, 10:15 PM
I think Episode I is an exercise in offensiveness. Why, fer crissakes, did they use so many identifiable accents? The guys with Asian accents were bad (betrayers), the guys with Rastafarian accents were comic relief, the guy with the Italian accent was a crook and a thief. I mean, come on. Did they think we wouldn't notice? And the kid who played Anakin couldn't act if his life depended on it.

George Lucas is a genius in oh so many ways. Why did he botch this movie up so badly?

ChunkyC
04-21-2008, 10:36 PM
I agree about the accents being a bit odd, but I can look beyond them. As for offensive, Jar-Jar's accent was created by the black actor who played him, not Lucas. As for the character himself, yeah, he was a bit out there, but I believe he needed to be a fool so that he could be duped into doing what Palpatine needed him to do so that he could take political control of the Senate. Jar-Jar had to be naive and idealistic enough to fall prey to Palpatine's machinations.

ChunkyC
04-21-2008, 10:44 PM
I think that that actually outraged quite a few Star Wars geeks. lol
Geeks is right. I think you'd have to be more than a little geeky to whine about that. After all, the actor who originally portrayed the ghostly Anakin doesn't look anything like Hayden Christiansen. Lucas was merely bringing the scene in sync with the prequels, nothing to take a hairy kniption over.

One thing he did right in the special editions of the original three was to change the music at the end of Return of the Jedi. What John Williams came up with the second time around was WAY better.

James81
04-21-2008, 10:46 PM
One thing he did right in the special editions of the original three was to change the music at the end of Return of the Jedi. What John Williams came up with the second time around was WAY better.

lol

You really are talking sacrilege now. :roll:

Will Lavender
04-21-2008, 10:52 PM
I agree about the accents being a bit odd, but I can look beyond them. As for offensive, Jar-Jar's accent was created by the black actor who played him, not Lucas. As for the character himself, yeah, he was a bit out there, but I believe he needed to be a fool so that he could be duped into doing what Palpatine needed him to do so that he could take political control of the Senate. Jar-Jar had to be naive and idealistic enough to fall prey to Palpatine's machinations.

He dropped into cartoonishness, though.

I didn't really mind it too much when I first saw the movie. I remember Peter Travers of Rolling Stone arguing that Jar-Jar was an interesting character. (In his original review, he praised Jar-Jar and seemed almost shocked when the backlash began.)

It just wasn't as interesting of a film, to me, as the originals. I agree with your point above that Lucas seemed to spend so much time on the technical details that the story and the characters ended up flat.

maestrowork
04-21-2008, 11:42 PM
I don't really mind the prequels. They're okay for what they are, but nowhere near the classic that is the original trilogy. It falls prey to the same old "bigger, better, longer, louder" Hollywood trap. While the original trilogy is pure Hero's Journey and good vs. evil, the prequels are unnecessarily convoluted and "complex." Not to mention I think Christensen was miscast as one of Cinema's most quintessential and prominant villains. And the romance just dragged on and on and on with some of the cheesiest dialogue in history (and they took it too seriously). The originals were cheesy, too, but at least they had a self-deprecating sense of humor about it.

Lucas took the story too serious. He lost the tongue-in-cheek, cheesy, gee-whiz wonderment from the original. The only things the even came close to the original's coolness were a) the pod race, b) Darth Maul, c) Count Dooku, and d) Yoda kicking ass. And the special effects were kind of wicked.

III
04-21-2008, 11:47 PM
I like the Eddie Izzard version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv5iEK-IEzw) (thanks for posting it on your blog, jst5150)

Jersey Chick
04-21-2008, 11:49 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the guy in the original ending of Return of the Jedi looked more like Uncle Owen (I could be wrong. I haven't seen the original cut in a looooooong time.)

But, what bugged me a little was that he came back as a younger Anakin, but Ben was still Alec Guinness instead of Ewan. Weird.

Cranky
04-21-2008, 11:54 PM
I gotta agree with Ray about Whatsisface as Anakin/Vader. What a horror he was! Unlikeable and wooden. And that "Nooooooooooo!" at the end of Revenge of the Sith made me laugh my head off.

I understand that some of Anakin's "unlikeablity" is necessary, since he needs to have these flaws in order to be susceptible to the Dark Side, but. But. Oh, I just hated him, and I kept thinking to myself, "Why the hell does Padme love this guy? He's a whiny brat, and arrogant to boot!"

Ewan was excellent as Obi Wan, though. I thought he was perfectly cast. :)

Toothpaste
04-21-2008, 11:56 PM
I'm with Jersey. Putting in Hayden at the end of Jedi is just strange because while yes, he was the Anakin we saw most of, as Darth he still aged. So he wouldn't look like the old Anakin anyway. Unless when you die as a jedi you get to be youthful again, but then why not make it Ewan instead of Alec?

Just a bit silly to me, and a little sad for the actor who got to be Anakin at the end, very little screen time and now it's mostly gone.

cethklein
04-21-2008, 11:57 PM
Since we're talknig about Star Wars, I have a question regarding the newer DVDs of the original trilogy (Not the silver or gold box sets but the individual dvds.) I've read in more than a few places that the single releases of A New Hope, Empire and Jedi are terrible due to aspect ratio issues as well as shoddy sound. Is this true? Have any of you owned or watched the DVD versions of these films (the stand-alone ones)?

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Episode-IV-Widescreen/dp/B000FQJAIW/ref=pd_bbs_5?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1208807849&sr=8-5

ChunkyC
04-22-2008, 12:24 AM
I have the original individual VHS tapes, the special edition VHS tapes box set, the individual DVDs of the prequels, the special edition DVD box set of the originals, and a dupe of Episode IV from laserdisk to DVD without the Episode IV on the opening text crawl which is how it originally was shown in the theatre back when it all began. All look and sound good, except for the VHS tapes that are starting to get a little ratty with age. But I don't have the originals on individual DVDs, and I haven't run across anyone who has mentioned what you say about their quality.

Yeah, I'm a bit of a Star Wars nerd. :D

I'm with Jersey. Putting in Hayden at the end of Jedi is just strange because while yes, he was the Anakin we saw most of, as Darth he still aged. So he wouldn't look like the old Anakin anyway. Unless when you die as a jedi you get to be youthful again, but then why not make it Ewan instead of Alec?

Just a bit silly to me, and a little sad for the actor who got to be Anakin at the end, very little screen time and now it's mostly gone.
I have to agree about the age thing being a bit odd, however you could explain it away as each of them appearing as they were as Jedi Knights. Anakin ceased being a Jedi when he turned to the dark side, and both Yoda and Obi-wan were Jedi into old age.

rugcat
04-22-2008, 01:16 AM
I thought all the prequels were far inferior to the original trilogy. And the reason, I think, it that Lucas came to believe in the myth of his own uniqueness and creative vision. He stopped listening or taking input from anyone else -- sort of like a writer whose success leads them to believe they are beyond the need for an editor, forgetting how important that editor was in the creative process.

This theory is actually from a friend of mine who worked for him and saw it first hand, but it makes sense to me.

nevada
04-22-2008, 01:16 AM
Yeah, I'm a bit of a Star Wars nerd. :D

No, ya think?

ChunkyC
04-22-2008, 01:56 AM
I thought all the prequels were far inferior to the original trilogy. And the reason, I think, it that Lucas came to believe in the myth of his own uniqueness and creative vision. He stopped listening or taking input from anyone else -- sort of like a writer whose success leads them to believe they are beyond the need for an editor, forgetting how important that editor was in the creative process.

This theory is actually from a friend of mine who worked for him and saw it first hand, but it makes sense to me.
That does make sense. The story is all there, it just isn't told quite as well in the prequels. But Phantom Menace gave us the best light-sabre duel in all the movies: the static-shot sequence between Obi-Wan and Darth Maul (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUo1J4nj4LA) after Qui-gon is mortally wounded. And the behind the scenes stuff on the DVD where Ewan McGregor is like a big kid picking out his lightsabre and practicing the duelling puts a big smile on my face every time.

ChaosTitan
04-22-2008, 02:28 AM
the static-shot sequence between Obi-Wan and Darth Maul (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUo1J4nj4LA) after Qui-gon is mortally wounded.

Why is it when someone posts a YouTube link, I feel compelled to click on half a dozen "Related Videos," and waste half an hour of my time?

Psst! This one was pretty cool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wZ4FLx-5wc&feature=related

:D