PDA

View Full Version : Why do you write?

goatpiper
04-21-2008, 07:44 AM
I write because I'm a prophet. I write because I can't think of anything else to do with my life. I write because I have something to say that I think hasn't been said before. Or at least I think I can say it better.

I write because I think people need to hear what I have to say, and when I talk, I don't think they're really listening to me.

Aaron

Stormhawk
04-21-2008, 07:54 AM
I write because I can't not.

robertmblevins
04-21-2008, 07:58 AM
I write because I enjoy creating adventures better than the ones I see in films or on TV. It's a way of compensating for bad programming and empty-headed Hollywood execs who keep recycling the same old crap.

Judg
04-21-2008, 08:01 AM
Because I want to. :D

WriteKnight
04-21-2008, 08:05 AM
I write because the voices in my head tell me to...

Of course, they didn't want me to post this, so I'll certainly pay a heavy price for that.

hdawg06
04-21-2008, 08:09 AM
I write because so many random ideas run through my head I will go insane if I can't let some out. Also, it seems whenever I finish a book, I tend to narrate what happens afterward in my head. Yeah, very strange, but I do it quite often.

maestrowork
04-21-2008, 08:11 AM
It's another creative outlet for me, please I like to communicate with others.

Lyxdeslic
04-21-2008, 08:28 AM
I write 'cause it's the only thing I've ever done that's satisfied my mind.

Lyx

HourglassMemory
04-21-2008, 08:29 AM
I think it's one of the few things I feel I have total control of and enjoy.
Also, another one of my motivations to write the stories that I do is that I'm constantly thinking why a story like this or that hasn't been put out there yet. And so I write it.
I write stories, which isn't the only stuff I write, because they, I think would be a good enough contribution for the world. Just so I don't feel that my life was wasted on other stuff, and then I die....and the world goes on as if you never walked to this place or said something.
I want to shout and say "Here I am! Please listen to me! I think I do have things to tell."

Also I write stories because they all contain what I would like to see in a story.
There's certainly a "doing it for the world/doing it for me" thing in my case.

SPMiller
04-21-2008, 08:30 AM
It's another creative outlet for me, please I like to communicate with others.
Yup, it's all about the communication. I have things I want to share with my readers, and I hope they enjoy what I write, even if it isn't always uplifting and inspiring.

Melenka
04-21-2008, 08:35 AM
I write because otherwise my head gets too full of the words. I write to entertain myself and others (not a lofty literary goal, but I don't think I have truths to tell, just stories). I write because there are things I can't or won't do, but still have the urge to do, so I have my characters do them instead.

Varthikes
04-21-2008, 08:42 AM
I write because I have a story to tell.

BlackViolet13
04-21-2008, 09:12 AM
I write because the voices in my head tell me to...

This is actually the first thought that came to mind when I saw the OP (WriteKnight finished the thought with much more panache than I'm capable of tonight, so I thank him for that :))

I've always been a daydreamer, to the point that I would get in trouble, seriously EVERYWHERE I went, and from an early age into adulthood. I could have entire conversations with people while playing on a story in my mind, and not have much memory of the conversation later. It's not that I was ever trying to be rude, I just had these people in my mind. This is not a good thing to experience when you don't know it's because you're supposed to be writing the things the nice people tell you.

About three years ago, I had an epiphany, and it was honestly one of the biggest "DUH" moments of my life, right around the time I quit the best job I've ever had to go back to college. Why hadn't I thought of writing before? I hated English classes, even though I did really well in them. Now I can't imagine going through a day where I don't write at least something.

aonarach
04-21-2008, 09:41 AM
i write because i love to read. i love the power of words, their ability to build and destroy worlds, to shape and reshape history.

also, if i don't tell my stories, i would have to rely on someone else to get them right.

Kujai
04-21-2008, 03:00 PM
To write for others or to irritate ones mindÖ? Why does one write? Quite a simple question, a minimal reply may suffice but does one such as your self, Goat Piper, deem much more than just a simple answer? By example answers like Ďitís what I doí or 'itís what Iíve been tickling with since I was but a modest childí, do those satisfy your itch, your curiosity? If you were tempting for more (:Lecture:) then Iíll tell a tale of a confused but modest child, ĎPaddyí.

As a toddler Paddy detested reading, he simply read to further a never ending education. From the early 90ís till late 00ís (???), from mid school to a bachelorís degree, from a venture into employment to a relaxing state of unemployment, from preparing for the LSAT to postponing the daunting thing, on he studied, on he read, on he played, tickling ideas inside his head. Originally a tease of thoughts, next a graphic novel and now heís heaving himself towards the end of a novel. Three years in the making, though no serious effort as of recent, progress made as result of an ambiguous yet direct plan. He found something, what he was. From neglect to denial, from an acceptance to an imagination, Paddy became writer.

What Iíve learned through days and days is that people can be what they are made to do, thus following a certain path. Be it an automaton of society or a free-thinker, we use our resources, knowledge, and skills, to do what it is we do. But what happens when one is given too much reason, too much lee-way, a free check to bypass a preordained path. What happens? What is one to doÖ?

This free palette may be why some will write, not because lack of reserve, but because they feel that itís their rest in society, their rightful path in life. Most of us, as this is Absolute Write, seem to have a little fancy for writing, a tickle for creative thinking. Thus to answer your question largely, people write because itís what they were brought to do, despite anything foreseeable.

It doesnít matter if the writer is a literary genius of magnificence or a steaming pile of freshness, what matters is that the writer is who he is, a writer. We are fortunate to live in an age where societies and nations (at least some) promote, accept, and desire free thinking, where true unadulterated writing is born, where feelings are shown. Be it a biography, an EXPENSIVE biology college text book, a novel, a poem, or even a collection of short stories people are leaving behind memories in their writings, a peace of themselves, in essence a gaining of immortality through text. Isnít that what really matters, lessons taught, stories told, entrainment but education? But alas I must end these ramblings, this misadventure. :e2violin:

In short I like to see people happy, thatís why I write. ;)

sunna
04-21-2008, 03:10 PM
I write because I'm happier when I do. There are plenty of other reasons I could heap on that one, but that's the heart of it.

NeuroFizz
04-21-2008, 04:04 PM
1) It's an intellectual/creative challenge.
2) To entertain.

arkady
04-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Because I'm a masochist with a fetish for form rejections.

donroc
04-21-2008, 04:47 PM
Why does one breathe?

CaroGirl
04-21-2008, 04:53 PM
I write because it's all I've ever really wanted to do. Because I love writing and enjoy the challenge of the craft

z10
04-21-2008, 04:53 PM
to create the perfect line

Jenan Mac
04-21-2008, 05:03 PM
Because otherwise someone might suggest I get a real job.

Seriously? Beats me. I don't remember ever not writing.

Captshady
04-21-2008, 05:11 PM
i write because i love to read. i love the power of words, their ability to build and destroy worlds, to shape and reshape history.

I'm with you on that. But I don't write thinking I have the ability to do any of the above.

Because I'm a masochist with a fetish for form rejections.

My vote for best answer.

Shady Lane
04-21-2008, 05:13 PM
writing in chemistry class > chemistry class

C.bronco
04-21-2008, 05:13 PM
"Whose broken window is a cry of art
(success, that winks aware
as elegance, as a treasonable faith)
is raw: is sonic: is old-eyed premiŤre.
Our beautiful flaw and terrible ornament.
Our barbarous and metal little man.

“I shall create! If not a note, a hole.
If not an overture, a desecration.” "
from Boy Breaking Glass by Gwendolyn Brooks

I have a drive to create things.

Writing a poem is like grasping a truth and holding it for the first time. Once you have it in your hand you can turn it and see it in different light.

Writing fiction is like playing God. You create and people your own world, choose a conflict and then watch your little people try to work it out.

I think I also have a psychological need to share what goes on in my head.

Charlie Horse
04-21-2008, 06:52 PM
Keeps me from watching too much TV.

stormie
04-21-2008, 06:56 PM
I'm compelled to write, plain and simple.

scifi97
04-21-2008, 07:21 PM
I just love getting lost in the words of a long story. After awhile, the characters take on a life of their own and I enjoy being able to live it with them and see what unexpected places they will take me. That has probably been my biggest obstacle to getting published. Once the story is done, it turns into a job to get it published. A really hard job. I already have a job so getting motivated enough to take on a second one has been difficult.

Cranky
04-21-2008, 07:23 PM

Same here. I can walk away for a little while, but sooner or later I'm scribbling again.

ACEnders
04-21-2008, 07:24 PM
I write because I love manipulating the English language in such a way that holds power over others. I write because I love creating characters and shaping their world. I write because I love to read for the entertainment, enjoyment, and knowledge, and I want to share that with others who share the same love.

ACEnders
04-21-2008, 07:25 PM

Hm. So true. Crazy. I have always been writing. Always.

jennontheisland
04-21-2008, 07:27 PM
Inertia.

I started and now I can't stop.

Straka
04-21-2008, 07:49 PM
if I don't write I get anxious and massive headaches.

cethklein
04-21-2008, 07:59 PM
Sheer enjoyment. Seriously, that's why in a nutshell. The plot for my action/adventure series has been in my head for close to ten years. I just enjoy telling the story. If it sells, so be it. If not, oh well. It's a fun story and those who have read it thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'm also partially donig it for my son, as something for him to read and enjoy when he's old enough. I'd lvoe to sell the series, and I've been told by some that it is definitely capable of being sold once it is refined enough. Either way, I don't really care. The experience of writing it has been good enough for me.

CDarklock
04-21-2008, 08:03 PM
I need to know what happens next.

I have a definite handle on who people are and how they start out, but once you get two or three of them together, they start having their own ideas about what's going to happen.

Stephen King once said about one of his books, "I didn't want the boy to die. He just died. It's not my fault, I'm just the writer." I feel that way a lot.

Zelenka
04-21-2008, 08:18 PM
I don't know why I started writing, but I keep it up because it's the only thing I feel really happy doing, and the only thing I've ever wanted to do with any passion.

benbradley
04-21-2008, 08:38 PM
I don't write.

enough.

drachin8
04-21-2008, 08:39 PM
I write because otherwise the platypuses win.

:)

-Michelle

Jackfishwoman
04-21-2008, 08:45 PM
yeah, I write because I can't talk very well.

Tink
04-22-2008, 01:55 AM
I write because life leaves me little choice. I think I would explode if I didn't write. It is an outlet, it is a passion, it gives the chance to speak my mind when I can't speak my mind, it allows me to be....

Shweta
04-22-2008, 03:05 AM
Moved to the Roundtable because it doesn't seem to be about writing novels, so why should everyone else miss out? :)

I write because my characters won't shut up.

blueobsidian
04-22-2008, 03:16 AM
I write because my family loves books and the written word. My mother is a librarian, my dad has a massive SF collection, my grandmother used to read SF magazines under a giant willow tree when she was a child, etc. Everyone read constantly. I think that somewhere inside, I am still just a little girl trying to make them all proud.

I've found little "stories" that I wrote dating back to age four or five. It has always been a part of me.

I also write because I am super shy and have a tendency to stutter when I talk to people. Writing is just easier!

jenngreenleaf
04-22-2008, 03:24 AM
I write because I enjoy creativity. :) Even when I don't feel all that creative, I can still write about that . . .

aonarach
04-22-2008, 03:42 AM
I write because otherwise the platypuses win.

:)

-Michelle

and everyone knows that is how australia plans on taking over the world. (um, because platypuses are endemic to australia) let the platypuses win even once and it will only be a matter of time before an entire country of peace-loving ecologically-aware no-goodniks takes over the world. oi!

Lccorp2
04-22-2008, 04:59 AM
Because I must.

seun
04-22-2008, 09:53 PM
Well, I already have the small beard and I drink too much so why not do what my image suggests and write? :D

Serious answer...I can't think of a time when I didn't want to write. When I was 14 or so, I started. Obviously, everything I wrote then was utter smeg but I kept going and haven't really stopped since.

Dave.C.Robinson
04-22-2008, 10:56 PM
...because they pay me.

I write my own fiction to explore ideas that just won't go away. Most other things I write for the money.

James81
04-22-2008, 11:14 PM
I write because I can't remember a time when I DIDN'T write. I may not have always considered myself a "writer", but I have always written. It pours out of me and I simply cannot help it--nor do I want to.

CaroGirl
04-22-2008, 11:15 PM
...because they pay me.

I write my own fiction to explore ideas that just won't go away. Most other things I write for the money.
That too.

SisterSue
04-23-2008, 12:56 AM
Humans need air. Water is wet. Dogs will inevitably push a cold nose into your warm crotch. I must write. These are the constant facts of life.

Wrathman
04-23-2008, 05:52 PM
I write because it is the easiest method for me to communicate with others. When I'm writing, I can best express my thoughts in a complete and logical manner as well as allowing myself to be more emotional than I do in a face to face environment. I'm willing to write about things that I just can't see myself talking about.

I also write because I feel compelled to help people around me. If my writing is considered entertaining and/or educational by those who read it, I feel like I'm doing some good in the world and that it has been time and effort well spent.

Like many others here, I think I also write to leave a footprint behind when I am no longer walking this planet.

ishtar'sgate
04-24-2008, 07:43 AM
I write because I'm a storyteller and have been for as long as I can remember. The only difference is that now I get paid for it.:D
Linnea

maestrowork
04-24-2008, 07:49 AM
To torture giant people with tiny brains.