PDA

View Full Version : Wow, I feel entirely out of place.

Mr Sci Fi
04-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Is this the right place for me? I've been cruising around the boards and noticed all these great authors with novel publications, and then there's little old me with only 1 published piece, and it's not even fiction.

:-(

I feel so amateur. (Well, I am.)

xiaotien
04-20-2008, 06:54 PM
i've not published a thing!
if you're sending your work out there and
getting Rejected by folk, then this is the place
to be. also, we toddle over to the sunshine cafe
under goals and achievements when we've gotten
good news!

it's a coaster ride but it's worth it. =)

welcome! (we hang out at the coffee house of
pain loads, too. =)

Brutal Mustang
04-20-2008, 06:57 PM
I came in thinking the same thing. Then I realized that although there are plenty of published authors on this board, there are far more wannabe's like me.

Mr Sci Fi
04-20-2008, 07:02 PM
if you're sending your work out there and
getting Rejected by folk, then this is the place
to be.

That sounds like me!

I'm glad to see so many published authors, though. I've tried to get good critiques out of other forums but I was unsuccessful at it.

I'll stay as long as I don't get made fun of for sucking so bad, haha.

Tburger
04-20-2008, 07:04 PM
Published authors? Please! I haven't published anything so your one publication makes you look like an expert to me. I'm here to learn from people who have been through the wringer already. And if I can get the advice of published authors here, then here is the best place to be.

seaaircarol
04-20-2008, 07:04 PM
Yes, please stay. We are all at different levels. This is a great place.

Mr Sci Fi
04-20-2008, 07:15 PM
Whew! I feel a bit relieved now. At first I thought I stumbled onto the wrong forum and I would get eaten alive by the big fish. Glad to see there's still little fish like me.

DWSTXS
04-20-2008, 07:31 PM
Published authors? Please! I haven't published anything so your one publication makes you look like an expert to me. I'm here to learn from people who have been through the wringer already. And if I can get the advice of published authors here, then here is the best place to be.

exactly! I'll second that.

eveningstar
04-20-2008, 08:23 PM
I haven't published anything. I haven't even finished my novel.

This place hasn't scared me away yet. I find it amazingly helpful.

Cathy C
04-20-2008, 08:29 PM
We ALL started out as little fish. AW helped us get where we are, which is why we stay. I'll bet the same thing happens to you and you're the one posting up encouragement to a newbie five years from now! :D

Dawno
04-20-2008, 08:31 PM
I'm not even a writer and I'm quite comfy here :D

Mr Sci Fi
04-20-2008, 10:20 PM
We ALL started out as little fish. AW helped us get where we are, which is why we stay. I'll bet the same thing happens to you and you're the one posting up encouragement to a newbie five years from now! :D

That's a long day off, I'm afraid. :-(

But thanks for the encouragement.

Jersey Chick
04-20-2008, 10:26 PM
Ahh... but you never know... :)

Irysangel
04-20-2008, 10:29 PM
All the published authors should be encouraging. That shows that the information on the boards is worthwhile. :)

(And when I started at these boards, I didn't even have an agent or a writing credit to my name.)

Jackfishwoman
04-20-2008, 10:54 PM
Yes, welcome! I just started on here about a month ago but I find all of the posters quite motivational and respectful. We need each other! Especially when just starting out!
I have already gotten so much good advice.

Saundra Julian
04-20-2008, 11:19 PM
I couldn't think of a better place to hang out!

Pisarz
04-21-2008, 12:05 AM
I haven't published anything in fiction and I have had more rejections than the average bear. (Do bears even get rejections? And if they do, who even knows what their average is, anyway?).

All of which is to say . . . you have more publishing credentials than I do and I've been around here for almost two years!

triceretops
04-21-2008, 03:19 AM
Got my agent and three small book contracts since I've been here. Something must be going on, eh? I sure got my queries nailed to the wall here in SYW, which undoubtedly helped. I belong to an AW critter group. My book sales came from AW members. I learned about POD and PA while I've been here.

What's to say other than this site pretty much rocks? You're in good company.

Tri

Mr Sci Fi
04-21-2008, 05:52 PM
Got my agent and three small book contracts since I've been here. Something must be going on, eh? I sure got my queries nailed to the wall here in SYW, which undoubtedly helped. I belong to an AW critter group. My book sales came from AW members. I learned about POD and PA while I've been here.

What's to say other than this site pretty much rocks? You're in good company.

Tri

Awesome!

CaroGirl
04-21-2008, 06:09 PM
I have learned so much in my time here I feel more confident that I won't make mistakes during the process. The information and support you can get is invaluable.

I'm unpublished too, at least when it comes to fiction. Welcome to our addiction.

C.bronco
04-21-2008, 06:14 PM
Hi Mr. Sci Fi, welcome aboard!

This board is great. It's also been great for me to see some of our members go from unpublished to published.

Enjoy!

lakotagirl
04-21-2008, 10:01 PM
Is this the right place for me?

I know exactly how you feel. I am in awe of the people here. They are willing to share so much to teach us newbies the ropes.

It took a long time for me to get up the courage to join. I stick my toe in and test the waters with a post every now and then (usually when I am hiding from my book).

My book was at a standstill two months ago. I really didn't have a lot of interest in finishing it because I had no idea what I was doing. I loved the story, I hated not knowing what I was doing.

I thought that I would just finish what I had and submit it. Then I found AW.

I have learned so much. Now I am writing every day. The book is shaping into something that I am proud of, not just something that I started and didn't know how to finish.

Because of AW, my book WILL be finished. It will be edited. It may not ever be published, but it won't be because I didn't have any help. What I've learned from this forum has made me a better writer.

I can only hope that it will be good enough to publish.

I feel out of place. But, I know that I can learn and grow. And then I can help the next generation. (I hope)

I just wish I could find a forum like this that would help people with databases. :Shrug:

SteveCordero
04-23-2008, 01:52 AM
I couldn't think of a better place to hang out!

Exactly.

That's one of the great things about AW; there's all different kinds here along the publishing spectrum.

Gray Rose
04-23-2008, 08:26 AM
I am a wannabe and didn't have a single fiction/poetry publication before I joined AW. And that was only last September. Now, if someone would help me finish the damn book...!!!

If you're not getting crits at SYW, try asking the barristas at SYW Starbucks for a black coffee (or a whipped cream choco if you are so inclined). Also, put a link to your piece in your signature with a "crit me" note. It helps.

Welcome to AW.

nybx4life
04-23-2008, 08:34 AM
NOW HOLD ON!!!!
Mr Sci Fi, you know full well that us unpublished writers are trying to make a name for ourselves, as the published authors tried before they became published.

So far, my novel, which I haven't even fully shown on the forums, has been spat at by so much critics I felt sick looking at all that saliva on my work.
I'm trying to get better, and so far, it's going slower than a snail.

I'll try to help you out, but remember, some of us are a bit worse off than you are.

CCE
08-09-2008, 09:11 AM
Yes, please stay. We are all at different levels. This is a great place.

Yes, definitely, we are all here to continue honing our craft and sharing info is a terrific way to learn. everyone's experence is different whether we are published or not and everyone has somethng to offer. Please stay because you are a writer!

blacbird
08-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Is this the right place for me? I've been cruising around the boards and noticed all these great authors with novel publications, and then there's little old me with only 1 published piece, and it's not even fiction.

:-(

You're ahead of me. Probably permanently. I grovel in admiration.

caw