PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen that new children's book...

chevbrock
04-20-2008, 05:03 PM
About how Mommy is getting plastic surgery?

As a parent, does it make you want to throw up your hands in despair at why you try so long and hard to give positive messages to your children?

As a writer, does it make you want to throw up your hands in despair that this has been accepted for publication and your well-written, entertaining and positive work has been rejected by every pub out there?

THenry
04-20-2008, 05:54 PM
It is not quite as it appears (http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/010154.html#010154).

DamaNegra
04-21-2008, 06:37 AM
Heheheh. I can see the next title for a sensationalist children's book: "Mommy takes me to my first plastic surgery"

SPMiller
04-21-2008, 07:07 AM
It is not quite as it appears (http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/010154.html#010154).
That really makes me wonder: why would Newsweek blow up what's obviously a small-time, low-circulation publication?

It reeks of a marketing plan to me.

chevbrock
04-21-2008, 03:33 PM
Well, it makes me feel better that it's not "properly" published, I suppose.

I saw it on "Rove" last night. I wonder if Dr Michael really looks like he does in the pictures?? Kinda reminded me of Julian McMahon in "Nip/Tuck".

CDarklock
04-21-2008, 08:51 PM
As a parent, does it make you want to throw up your hands in despair at why you try so long and hard to give positive messages to your children?

Like, say, "there is nothing wrong with elective surgery"?

There are all kinds of positive messages you can give to your children, and your brand of positive may not be the same as mine.

StephanieFox
04-21-2008, 09:04 PM
I have a disease where I sometimes grow fibromas (small tumors) on my skin. They are harmless, but ugly. If you think for one second that I am not going to have them removed when they appear, you are crazy. If that makes me vain, well, so be it.

Will Lavender
04-21-2008, 09:38 PM
That really makes me wonder: why would Newsweek blow up what's obviously a small-time, low-circulation publication?

It reeks of a marketing plan to me.

That was exactly my first thought.

Doesn't really make much sense if you think about it...unless the writer was just really struggling for ideas or, as you say, this is an inside deal of some kind.

IceCreamEmpress
04-21-2008, 11:49 PM
I think it's just so silly and egregious that the writer thought it would be interesting to fill a slow news week.

More power to anyone who needs and obtains corrective plastic surgery, and to people who want elective plastic surgery, I say, "It's your life, whatever makes you happy."

But a plastic surgeon vanity-publishing a children's book about how great it is that Mommy got elective plastic surgery seems like the lamest and weirdest marketing strategy...