Tell me we won't die

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
I opened a can of tomato paste and it partly exploded out of the top of the lid. I was on the phone with my aunt at the time. "Does that mean it's bad?" I asked her. "I never heard of that meaning it's bad," she said. I had already cooked the spaghetti and didn't have another can, so I went ahead and used it. I smelled it, and I don't really know what tomato paste is supposed to smell like, but it wasn't horrid. I tasted it and it was fairly gross, but I figured pure tomato paste probably does taste pretty gross. So I stirred it in and fed Sarina a bite-- then had second thoughts and just tossed it.

So, in essence, we both had a bite of exploded tomato paste. What does it mean? Are we doomed?

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I opened a can of tomato paste and it partly exploded out of the top of the lid. I was on the phone with my aunt at the time. "Does that mean it's bad?" I asked her. "I never heard of that meaning it's bad," she said. I had already cooked the spaghetti and didn't have another can, so I went ahead and used it. I smelled it, and I don't really know what tomato paste is supposed to smell like, but it wasn't horrid. I tasted it and it was fairly gross, but I figured pure tomato paste probably does taste pretty gross. So I stirred it in and fed Sarina a bite-- then had second thoughts and just tossed it.

So, in essence, we both had a bite of exploded tomato paste. What does it mean? Are we doomed?

A bite? Probably not. I had a horrible experience once with leftover spaghetti (hence the "24 hours or less, then toss it" rule in my house!) that left me extremely ill, but it didn't kill me. Well, obviously, lol!

However, that was an entire bowl of the stuff, not a single bite. You might get a little indigestion or perhaps queasy, but nothing beyond that is my guess. Sarina, being smaller...I don't know. Hopefully one of our docs will chime in...

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
No, you won't die (well, not anytime soon), but that would be suspicious for food contaminated by bacteria. They produce gas when they grow and put the contents under pressure. Still, that would be pretty rare (vanishingly rare, I would hope) for commercially-canned tomato paste.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Wait for the cramps. If you're not doubled up in agony within a few hours then you two are probably safe. Check back tomorrow and let us know the outcome.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard of that happening once. Have you gotten any dizzy spells at all?

I'm not sure, but if you both ate it and if I remember correctly, in the morning, you're going to wake up in her body and she's going to be in yours.

But it only lasts for a day or two, so no worries.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
You're toast, and your little dog, too.

Nah, for some reason tomato paste does that quite often. I tossed one that seemed excessive, but I've used many which grew some after the can-opener cut the lid.

No ill effects whatsoever.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
I've eaten worse and haven't died. Yet.

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree that tomato paste does this normally. I can't say I've ever seen it happen, and I've used an awful lot of canned tomato paste in my life.

KrishnaJewel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allbollywood.com
No, you won't die (well, not anytime soon), but that would be suspicious for food contaminated by bacteria. They produce gas when they grow and put the contents under pressure.

Ah, now here is something I know a lot about - Food.

This is correct...any time a tin is opened and there is a hiss or the contents explodes out that is a sign of contamination and it should be thrown away without hesitation. Yes, it is rare, but it does happen...better safe than sorry.

It is highly unlikely you will get sick from a single bite, if you do it will be far less severe than had you eaten a full serving.

(btw Tomato paste isnt that 'gross'...its very tomato-y, a bit acidic and sweet, basically very concentrated ketchup.)

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
It was Muir Glen organic tomato paste that had no expiration date on the can. I've seen it happen with ketchup before-- was in a restaurant and a ketchup bottle exploded.

So... okay, give me a time limit for worrying-- if we get food poisoning, it could take a week or more to hit, right? I want to put a circle on a date in my calendar for when I can stop worrying.

KrishnaJewel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allbollywood.com
It was Muir Glen organic tomato paste that had no expiration date on the can. I've seen it happen with ketchup before-- was in a restaurant and a ketchup bottle exploded.

So... okay, give me a time limit for worrying-- if we get food poisoning, it could take a week or more to hit, right? I want to put a circle on a date in my calendar for when I can stop worrying.

Food poisoning sets in within 8 to 12 hours and usually lasts about as long.

But I seriously doubt you will get food poisoning from one bite :)

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
Food poisoning sets in within 8 to 12 hours and usually lasts about as long.
Not necessarily--depends on the cause.
But I seriously doubt you will get food poisoning from one bite :)
I agree with that. Go to sleep, Jenna.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Is this hypothetical meteor carrying anything that might make us vomit? Because that's my phobia, you know. I'm less concerned about dying, even while aflame, than I am about food poisoning.

samgail

poll dancer
Registered
Reaction score
i know it is the mechanics you are worried about, i think you guys will be fine. If not i will come over and light myself on fire to take your mind off of it.

Last edited:

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
I think she's also worried about being a horrible mom and doing something that will make her darling daughter ill.

Jenna, eventually, you will do something that will make Sarina uncomfortable or slightly sick or have a boo-boo or something. It won't mean you're a horrible mom. Just that you and Sarina are both human and a mother and a daughter.

ETA: As for the puking, there's no avoiding that forever, I'm afraid.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
Is this hypothetical meteor carrying anything that might make us vomit? Because that's my phobia, you know. I'm less concerned about dying, even while aflame, than I am about food poisoning.
I had Shigella twice when I was an intern, about which it is truthfully said: "For the first hour, I thought I would die; for the second, I was afraid I wouldn't." But you're in more danger from the meteor.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Jenna, eventually, you will do something that will make Sarina uncomfortable or slightly sick or have a boo-boo or something.

HUSH! Don't jinx me!

I did bite her finger once, remember. I'm determined to have the rest of her life go without a hitch. :)

I have preserved the remnants of the tomato paste in a plastic baggie for inspection, in case we should perish.