Apparently, I've failed my children.

Lyxdeslic

Laughing every time I choke.
Registered
Reaction score
So my 13year-old daughter brings this book home (Twilight) and I notice right off it's gripping her. Awesome, I think to myself. She's read a few books here and there, but not like this. I mean she races through her homework and instead of the usual phone/internet/t.v. watching/hanging out with friends time, she plops on the couch and lets Twilight carry her away. She's even reading it in the car whenever we go somewhere.

Fantastic!

Here and there I ask her about it, watching her face light up as she discusses this character or that. I'm thrilled the reading bug has bitten.

When she finishes--in less than a week, which is amazing in comparison to her normal reads--I ask if I can read it. She forks it over, handling it like it's the holy grail, and tells me to take care of it--a cute trait that I am all to familiar with myself.

So after two days, I'm done. Now comes the hard part. After five-hundred pages, and a good twelve hours of my life passed by, I now worry that my daughter is special...mentally challenged.

I mean come on, we all seem to forgive J.K. Rowling for her lazy prose, because the brilliant, engaging story overshadows the plethora of adverbs, constant redundancies, and unnecessary dialogue tags. However, Twilight does not have a story/plot to allow for such a forgiving nature.

*Sigh* Yes, I'm glad my daughter has discovered the joy and stimulation reading brings. No, I'm not happy it comes in the form of shite. Twilight is bubble gum at bubble gum's worst: short-lived flavor to be chewed up and spat out. There are some brilliant Middle Grade and YA works of fiction out there, I'm sure, and this ain't one of 'em. And damnit, I'm now on a mission to find some for her.

Just as soon as we get back from having her I.Q. tested. :)

Lyx

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Yeah. I noticed this with my son. I thought, "that's great... he's reading like an addict." Then I checked out one of the books he was reading and winced. But then I thought of the books at the top of my list when I was 12. He is blessed to be able to find the story and not see the glaring things that I as a writer wince at. And he is feeding an appetite that he will have for life. Your daughter is right on course...

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yup. I think Twilight is perfect for a 13 yo girl. It's right on her level.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Well, at least when she reads something good, she'll be able to see the difference.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Each one at his/her own level and rythm. When I was her age I was reading Animal Farm

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Not to worry, just leave the next level up lying around. She'll find her own way. Congrats on raising a kid that will read because she wants to, not because somebody is grading her.

Jongfan

Insane, in a good way
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with previous posts
Time spent reading books is ALWAYS better than time spent watching tv or playing video games. Yes, even books we deem horribly written.

Lyxdeslic

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, how quickly I forget, I, too, was once a seedling. It's still a hard swallow--the whole "Smartest, cutest, sweetest" child syndrome and all. You guys are right. Though I will most definitely be seeking out some solid, female YA for her to try.

Mmmnn, Pop Tarts. Forgot about those, too.

Lyx

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Get her to read some E. Lockhart. Her books are girly YA, but they're also well written, intelligent, and thought-provoking.

I'm also reading WICKED LOVELY right now. I'm not finished with it, but it seems like the kind of thing that would appeal to TWILIGHT fans. I, personally, find it better written and more engrossing.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Uh-oh. My 11-year-old daughter is crazy about Inkheart and Inkspell, and the Warrior Cat books. Now you've made me afraid to read them.

Lyxdeslic

Registered
Reaction score
Get her to read some E. Lockhart. Her books are girly YA, but they're also well written, intelligent, and thought-provoking.

I'm also reading WICKED LOVELY right now. I'm not finished with it, but it seems like the kind of thing that would appeal to TWILIGHT fans. I, personally, find it better written and more engrossing.
Thanks for the recommends. I'll check them out. If you don't mind, could you define "Girly"? Seriously askin'. I'm looking for something where the mc is strong-willed, good-natured, and faces tough decisions, yet is still flawed/human.

Uh-oh. My 11-year-old daughter is crazy about Inkheart and Inkspell, and the Warrior Cat books. Now you've made me afraid to read them.
Well, I think you're okay. I just scanned through the first ten pages or so on Amazon, and the writing is good. Great even.

Unfortunately, I think my DD has outgrown this type of story, though. Any recommendations? What, pray tell, was the awesome Devil Ledbetter reading in her early teens?

Thanks guys,

Lyx

Devil Ledbetter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Any recommendations? What, pray tell, was the awesome Devil Ledbetter reading in her early teens?

Thanks guys,

Lyx
I was heavily into Stephen King then. I was going to say, remember in the late seventies when he first got huge? but then I realized you would have been about two at the time.

kellytijer

What the hell is going on?!
Registered
Reaction score
My daughter usually chooses the book form of whatever movie she just watched. She says she's reading, but I don't think so...

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
Inkheart is a good book. I read it and enjoyed it. What are the titles of the Warrior Cat books?

Devil Ledbetter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Inkheart is a good book. I read it and enjoyed it. What are the titles of the Warrior Cat books?
They're all "Warriors Something." Warriors the New Prophecy, Warriors Moonrise, etc. I haven't read any of this stuff yet.

Lyxdeslic

Registered
Reaction score
I was heavily into Stephen King then. I was going to say, remember in the late seventies when he first got huge? but then I realized you would have been about two at the time.
Thanks, Geezer. That's funny. I thought about Carrie but I think I'll give it a year or two on that one.

Now come over here and change me diapers and wash behind my ears. I promise, I'll help you with the Depends in about ten years. :tongue

Lyx

Devil Ledbetter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Geezer. That's funny. I thought about Carrie but I think I'll give it a year or two on that one.

Now come over here and change me diapers and wash behind my ears. I promise, I'll help you with the Depends in about ten years. :tongue

Lyx
I'd encourage you to let her choose her own reading material. Nothing turns kids off of reading faster than being told what they "should" read. Also, don't tell her you hated Twilight. Just be glad she's discovered the joy of reading.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
My daughter is almost 16 and really enjoyed "Twilight". It doesn't worry me because she has most of a bookstore in her room.

She's reading "Great Expectations" now, but it's for school. Still, she likes the story.

So long as she's reading everything will be just dandy, daddy.

Just think, she'll be dating soon. Then we'll really see you go berserk.

Lyxdeslic

Registered
Reaction score
I'd encourage you to let her choose her own reading material. Nothing turns kids off of reading faster than being told what they "should" read. Also, don't tell her you hated Twilight. Just be glad she's discovered the joy of reading.
Most definitely. In fact, if anything, I plan to discuss it on her level: what were your favorite parts; who could you most relate to; seriously, are you special? :)

And no, I won't force any books on her. I think it's fantastic that we "shared" a read, and don't want to blow any semblance of a bond there. I will find something, though and drop enthusiastic hints that I "Loved" it, then see what happens from there.

Lyx

Last edited:

bethany

:)
Registered
Reaction score
Room two-hundred-something on the first floor
Website
www.bethanygriffin.com
I repped you Wicked lovely, but I see Meg has already suggested that. For good well written YA, try The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak, um, I read lots of edgy stuff so I'm not going to go there, but Wildwood Dancing and Keturah and Lord Death are two paranormals that are supposed to be awesome. I have them on my bookshelf but haven't read yet. Oh the Uglies Trilogy by Scott Westerfield are really good. Dystopiea- female mc, age appropriate.