Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2012, 02:13 AM   #1801
YAreaderwriter
The voice of the sea

YAreaderwriter is on a distinguished road
Thanks Erin! Did you end up finding an agent?

Thanks Stephanie! I just happened l stumble across your success story on QueryTracker!
YAreaderwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:55 AM   #1802
Erin
Listening to my other selves

Erin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAreaderwriter View Post
Thanks Erin! Did you end up finding an agent?
Unfortunately, no. Not for a lack of trying. I'll be querying a new book in 2 weeks, and I'm getting excited about that.

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #1803
miamyselfandi
here and there again

miamyselfandi is on a distinguished road
The DFWCon site shows Alec Shane of Writers House attending, but I didn't find him on Querytracker. Is he an asst who is making the move up to agent?
miamyselfandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #1804
Cyia
Rewriting My Destiny

Cyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Alec is (or at least was) Jodi Reamer's assistant/1st pass reader.

Cyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #1805
Giant Baby
Oh, the humanity.

Giant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for President
My communication from him has all been on Jodi's behalf, so he's definitely still her assistant. I wouldn't be surprised if he started taking on clients of his own, though. Other WH assistants certainly have.
Atria/Infinite Words

..Bower Lewis
website | facebook
. .......twitter

Moral of the story: Soy yogurt is evil and don't cross picketlines. -Twizzle
Giant Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #1806
YAreaderwriter
The voice of the sea

YAreaderwriter is on a distinguished road
Congrats on the new book! Good luck!
YAreaderwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:08 AM   #1807
PeteMC
@PeteMC666

PeteMC has a spectacular auraPeteMC has a spectacular aura
A very pleasant and friendly R just received from Brianne. Ah well...
PeteMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:45 AM   #1808
Anna L.
practical experience, FTW

Anna L. has a spectacular aura
Updated stats:
Queried Brianne: early morning Jan 6
Partial request: afternoon Jan 6
Full request: Jan 23
The Fox's God
Anna L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #1809
Beckstah
Zen-ish

Beckstah is a shiny, shiny jewelBeckstah is a shiny, shiny jewel
Wow, Anna L., you're on a roll! Can't wait to see where you end up!
Beckstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:22 PM   #1810
BethanyCM
Something clever here

BethanyCM is on a distinguished road
Query sent to Kristy King last night, full request received today around noon. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Anyone else get requests from Kristy lately? ::nudges wallflowers::

Blog:
Expatriate Games
BethanyCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:50 PM   #1811
notyourchambermaid
Not a fish

notyourchambermaid is on a distinguished road
Anyone had any dealings with Leigh Feldman? Do things go through her assistant first?
notyourchambermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:33 AM   #1812
Krista G.
AW Addict

Krista G. is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethanyCM View Post
Query sent to Kristy King last night, full request received today around noon. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Anyone else get requests from Kristy lately? ::nudges wallflowers::
Congratulations, Bethany! I received a request from her on a 1/24 query as well. She offered to answer any questions I might have, so I asked her what her average response times were like on requested material. She said she shoots to respond within a month of receipt - but often much sooner. (She also said to check in with her if more than a month passes before you hear back.)

Anyway, I thought you'd find the information helpful, too. Best of luck with your submission!

www.kristavandolzer.com
Krista G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:07 AM   #1813
BethanyCM
Something clever here

BethanyCM is on a distinguished road
Thanks, Krista! I was surprised to find a line like that in the request - at least she's not shy. I'd think that would invite a ton of additional email, no?

Just in case you're curious, her twitter is @tyKingdom and I found this Writer's Digest interview from when she was assisting Steven Malk - LINK.

Best of luck, Krista!

Blog:
Expatriate Games
BethanyCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:04 PM   #1814
sknipper

sknipper is well-respected
Congrats Anna, Krista, & Bethany! I've got my fingers crossed for all of you!
Old 01-27-2012, 03:31 AM   #1815
JBuck

JBuck has earned our admirationJBuck has earned our admirationJBuck has earned our admirationJBuck has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by notyourchambermaid View Post
Anyone had any dealings with Leigh Feldman? Do things go through her assistant first?
Her assistant requested the manuscript, but Leigh gave me the rejection. It was within two weeks (I thought this was amazing considering how big-time she is) and personal, full of a nice mix of praise and the reason why she was saying no. She invited me to re-sub my next work but I've since found rep.
Good luck! I think she is a fantastic agent!
JBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:17 AM   #1816
RJLeahy
Banned

RJLeahy has a spectacular aura
To those submitting to Writers House, thought I'd add my experience. Contacted Stephen Barr yesterday (Dan Lazar's ex-assistant) and received request for full today. I'll let you know how it works out.
RJLeahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:48 AM   #1817
popgun62
Keeper of the pace.

popgun62 has a spectacular aura
Rejection from Al Zuckerman on partial - 12/21/11

Query sent to Jodi Reamer - 12/22/11
Request for 50 pages - 1/25/12

Hoping for full request next!
popgun62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:06 AM   #1818
Ruth2
Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda

Ruth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthood
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJLeahy View Post
To those submitting to Writers House, thought I'd add my experience. Contacted Stephen Barr yesterday (Dan Lazar's ex-assistant) and received request for full today. I'll let you know how it works out.
I found Stephen Barr awesome to deal with,even if he did pass on my book. Great guy.

Screaming into the wind...
Ruth2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #1819
Juneluv12
Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants

Juneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by notyourchambermaid View Post
Leigh is my agent, and yes, queries and requests go through her assistant. And my R&R came from Jean, but was cc'd to Leigh. She was very fast throughout the whole process from query to full to R&R.

She's a really great communicator both before and after I signed with her. She always emails back the same day, even if Jean has responded as well.

Good luck with querying!

JtBH: YA Contemp: Agented

"Without the bitter, baby, the sweet just ain't as sweet."--Vanilla Sky
Juneluv12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:42 AM   #1820
SamIAhm
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

SamIAhm is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know if Kristy King responds to all of her queries? Reading that some of you got a reply the next day from her has me worried that I'm on a path to rejection, I queried her on Sunday. I know it's jumping the gun, but still when I read that you got replies in a matter of 48 hours or less I feel worried.
SamIAhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:29 AM   #1821
pixydust
Mother Flippin' Rhymnosorous

pixydust leaves trails of profuse coolnesspixydust leaves trails of profuse coolnesspixydust leaves trails of profuse coolnesspixydust leaves trails of profuse coolnesspixydust leaves trails of profuse coolness
EQ (Dan Lazar): 1/21
Request for Full: 1/24

*biting nails*

Agent currently Subbing: GOLDEN 110,0000 ~ Aryana's survived five years longer than a normal half-blood, buying time by working as an assassin. But with her magic awake, now time’s up.
Writing: DARKNESS BRUTAL, DARKNESS FAIR 32,000/80,000 (YA; TV's Supernatural meets Dickens' Oliver Twist)

pixydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #1822
LMT
figuring it all out

LMT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAhm View Post
Does anyone know if Kristy King responds to all of her queries? Reading that some of you got a reply the next day from her has me worried that I'm on a path to rejection, I queried her on Sunday. I know it's jumping the gun, but still when I read that you got replies in a matter of 48 hours or less I feel worried.
I queried Kristy King on 1/24 and haven't heard back yet either. Her PM page says she responds within a month, so I thought I would requery then in case my original never made it.
LMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #1823
SamIAhm
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

SamIAhm is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMT View Post
I queried Kristy King on 1/24 and haven't heard back yet either. Her PM page says she responds within a month, so I thought I would requery then in case my original never made it.
Alright, thanks so much. I think I'll requery after a month passes if she doesn't reply too. Thanks again for the info and good luck.
SamIAhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:39 AM   #1824
Chumplet
This hat is getting too hot

Chumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I had submitted a query to Stephen Malk about a year ago, but I got the rejection email from Kristy (not right for Stephen's list, etc.) with a suggestion to try another WH agent. I was wondering if I should query Kristy with my revamped YA version of the MS. At least she asks for sample pages.

My Blog
My Website
I'm a Twit, too

Chumplet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #1825
notyourchambermaid
Not a fish

notyourchambermaid is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the responses - hope all of you with work with WH agents hear back soon!

*bites nails*
notyourchambermaid is offline   Reply With Quote