Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2010, 02:27 AM   #1526
herenow
practical experience, FTW

herenow is on a distinguished road
Note the word: simultaneously.

This means at the same time - so I think if you are rejected and then try another agents its ok. I don't think they want two agents fighting over the same MS.

I did my last edit on my MS. I will be submitting to Steve Malk in about a week! I am so excited.... LOL

Last edited by herenow; 08-25-2010 at 02:34 AM.
herenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:37 AM   #1527
Ryan_Sullivan
Agented YA Writer

Ryan_Sullivan is a shiny, shiny jewelRyan_Sullivan is a shiny, shiny jewel
Yes, if you receive a rejection, you can submit to whomever else at the agency you want.

Writer, grad student and optimist, rep'd by Steve Malk.
*Thanks everyone for the rep points/comments--I appreciate them!
Ryan_Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:25 AM   #1528
rifferaff
kickin' you-know-what

rifferaff is on a distinguished road
Thought it ultimately ended in two rejections, I had a good experience with Steven Malk:

Queried April 18.
Full request April 19
Rejection May 24
The rejection was personalized and very complimentary of my writing with an invitation to resubmit in the future. At this time, I was in the middle of a major re-write, so I responded asking if they'd (Steven and his assistant) like to see my revisions. They did.
Sent revised full July 30
Rejection August 24
Once again they still had issues with the plot but complimented my writing and invited to resubmit future work.

If I don't get agented for this book, I'll definitely keep them at the top of my list for the next go 'round.
rifferaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:32 AM   #1529
ILove2Write
Jaws has nightmares too

ILove2Write is on a distinguished road
Crossing fingers as I query...
ILove2Write is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:55 PM   #1530
herenow

Good luck Ilove2write - what kind of work did you send?

Also when querying Mr. Malk do you get a auto reply to say he got it? (not read but just arrived - auto system reply)

Last edited by herenow; 08-30-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:24 AM   #1531
ILove2Write
Jaws has nightmares too

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow View Post
Good luck Ilove2write - what kind of work did you send?

Also when querying Mr. Malk do you get a auto reply to say he got it? (not read but just arrived - auto system reply)
Thanks Herenow

I actually sent Daniel Lazar a query for a kids book.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:40 AM   #1532
herenow

I sent my query to Steve Malk... its my first query I have sent. Let's see who replies first ! I sent mine today. It's exciting for sure.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:47 AM   #1533
ILove2Write
Jaws has nightmares too

And Rejection. Very fast but he is nice.

Good Luck Herenow with Steven Malk. I was thinking about querying him next. Since this is your first query - some advice: don't get discouraged if it's a no (which I hope it isn't) - just keep on sending queries out.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:55 AM   #1534
herenow

thank you for giving that advice. I have kept that in mind and as a mental out I have another agent I would very much like to work with. I think that will help me if I get a no. However it will suprise me if he doesn't at least request a full, as unlike Daniel Lazar, Steve only wants the query, no sample pages. I hope he requests the full as that will increase my confidence in my query!

I am sorry on your rejection. But one thing I have been thinking about these last few days, is that we need agents that are mad for our work. Hug...

Funny thing - I will send to Daniel Lazar if Steve passes. HA!

Last edited by herenow; 08-31-2010 at 06:58 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:59 AM   #1535
Ryan_Sullivan
Agented YA Writer

Quote:
thank you for giving that advice. I have kept that in mind and as a mental out I have another agent I would very much like to work. I think that will help me if I get a no. However it will suprise me if he doesn't at least request a full, as unlike Daniel Lazar, Steve only wants the query, no sample pages. I hope he requests the full as that will increase my confidence in my query!

I am sorry on your rejection. But one thing I have been thinking about these last few days, is that we need agents that are mad for our work. Hug...
Steve takes queries only because he's not actively building, so he only follows up with projects that really fit into his catalog at the present. He's pretty busy.

He doesn't have an auto-reply that I know of, but you should hear back within 2 weeks (though times vary).

Good luck though!

Old 08-31-2010, 07:03 AM   #1536
herenow

Thank you Ryan, that is good to know.

I hope your editor submissions are moving along!!!
Old 08-31-2010, 10:11 PM   #1537
herenow

A email from his assistant:

We’re afraid that your project doesn't seem like the right fit for our list, so we’ve decided to decline the invitation to read your work. Thanks again for thinking of us, and we wish you the best of luck in finding a good home for your writing.

It does seem strange to me, as I thought he wanted Mid-grade boys with some humor. I guess I need a more hungry agent well thats my first rejection over. It felt like a punch to the heart. Especially as its my Birthday. Boohoo....
Old 08-31-2010, 10:15 PM   #1538
Ruth2
Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda

Ruth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthood
Quote:

We’re afraid that your project doesn't seem like the right fit for our list, so we’ve decided to decline the invitation to read your work. Thanks again for thinking of us, and we wish you the best of luck in finding a good home for your writing.

It does seem strange to me, as I thought he wanted Mid-grade boys with some humor. I guess I need a more hungry agent well thats my first rejection over. It felt like a punch to the heart. Especially as its my Birthday. Boohoo....
Hang in there and keep submitting. Your book will find a home. PS Happy Birthday!

Last edited by Ruth2; 08-31-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Ruth2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:59 PM   #1539
herenow

Makes me think of Henry and June - when Henry says "You got to take some punches." YEH RIGHT!

Changing the subject. I saw the movie "Kick Ass" last night - wish I was watching it tonight for the first time
Old 08-31-2010, 11:04 PM   #1540
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

waylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:

Congratulations, you have passed another test of becoming a writer. You have been rejected and survived
waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:08 PM   #1541
herenow

I have a bruise on my chin. But I need an agent that loves my concept, loves my character and wants to read my work!

No longer a virgin.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:51 AM   #1542
Ryan_Sullivan
Agented YA Writer

Quote:

Yeah, Steve does seem to have a lot of "boy books" in general, especially around the middle grade section, so he has to be really selective because contacts can only go so far. Good luck as you continue on--querying sucks, but it's worth it in the end!

Old 09-01-2010, 05:43 AM   #1543
herenow

Yeh I agree it sucks. I wish he had at least requested a few chapters, but it's not to be.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:40 AM   #1544
lm728
i'm baaaacccckkkkkk

lm728 has a golden reputationlm728 has a golden reputationlm728 has a golden reputationlm728 has a golden reputationlm728 has a golden reputationlm728 has a golden reputation
Got a first 50 pages request from Jodi after a deluge of rejections.
She's my dream agent. I would want to snag any Writers House agent, but Jodi's the one that comes to mind first.
I'm keeping my fingers, legs, and limbs crossed.
I really, really hope she likes it.
lm728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:07 AM   #1545
honeysock
Tell me to leave. Please.

honeysock is a glorious beacon of lighthoneysock is a glorious beacon of lighthoneysock is a glorious beacon of light
Good luck tilt.
honeysock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:34 AM   #1546
Julie Worth
What? I have a title?

Julie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Anyone know how long it takes to get a positive response to a full from Dan Lazar? I see at QT that of 700 queries he's never made an offer--tough odds.
Julie Worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:54 AM   #1547
Ryan_Sullivan
Agented YA Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Worth View Post
Anyone know how long it takes to get a positive response to a full from Dan Lazar? I see at QT that of 700 queries he's never made an offer--tough odds.
He has a lot of clients, so he's likely very selective at this point. Agents get a couple thousand queries a year, and some only sign 1 or 2 people a year if that--so the 700 aren't necessarily the most representative. I'd say, give him 3 months--I know he is said to take a little while lately--after that, feel free to e-mail for an update.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:39 AM   #1548
lisa17
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

lisa17 is on a distinguished road
Ryan some questions about submissions

Hi Ryan...You seem to be so knowledgeable. Hope you will answer a few questions. How long has your book been in submission to editors? Are you kept apprised of rejections if there are any? How many editors does a submission go to before an agent gives up. Obviously, I am in the submission stage and could use any info you might be willing to share.

Thanks,

Lisa17

Last edited by lisa17; 09-22-2010 at 04:03 AM.
lisa17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:21 AM   #1549
Ryan_Sullivan
Agented YA Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa17 View Post
Hi Ryan...You seem to be so knowledgeable. Hope you will answer a few questions. How long has your book been in submission to editors? Are you kept apprised of rejections if there are any? How many editors does a submission go to before an agent gives up. Obviously, I am in the submission stage and could use any info you might be willing to share.

Thanks,

Lisa17
Hi Lisa,

I can only speak about my experience here, but so far, we've done one batch of submissions toward the beginning of July. I didn't hear back about them, but I met my agent at a conference at the beginning of August, so we talked about it there. He did pass the rejections along after that meeting. We haven't done a second batch yet, as it was a really busy time for the publishing world, for him, and I have been to busy to really care for a while, but will do more soon. As far as how many before quitting--we discussed this, and we're going to submit to whoever he thinks would be a good fit. If we get to a point of submitting just to sell it, we'll back away from this project and try my next one.

Does that answer everything?

Old 09-22-2010, 08:48 PM   #1550
lisa17
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

lisa17 is on a distinguished road
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Sullivan View Post
Hi Lisa,

I can only speak about my experience here, but so far, we've done one batch of submissions toward the beginning of July. I didn't hear back about them, but I met my agent at a conference at the beginning of August, so we talked about it there. He did pass the rejections along after that meeting. We haven't done a second batch yet, as it was a really busy time for the publishing world, for him, and I have been to busy to really care for a while, but will do more soon. As far as how many before quitting--we discussed this, and we're going to submit to whoever he thinks would be a good fit. If we get to a point of submitting just to sell it, we'll back away from this project and try my next one.

Does that answer everything?
Yes, it does. It seems that getting an agent is just the beginning of the waiting process. Keep us all posted on when you get a publisher . Wishing you the best of luck.

Lisa
lisa17 is offline   Reply With Quote