Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2009, 12:00 AM   #926
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

waylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudge
AFAIK it is OK to query other WH agents after a rejection from one.
I did it (didn't help much though)
waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:35 AM   #927
Erin
Listening to my other selves

Erin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by eveningstar View Post
Am wondering if I should try any other WH agents now, though. I had been under the impression that he refers things if he thinks other WH agents would be interested.
Definitely query others. I've had a couple partial & full requests from different WH agents. No luck yet, though.

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:54 PM   #928
EgyptianGoddess
Working On Life

EgyptianGoddess has a spectacular aura
Request for partial

I queried Josh Getzler on 5/18 and today got an email requesting a 50 page partial. I did let him know that 5 agents have requested my full, in case that makes any difference in how soon he wants to look at it. Since I only got those requests in the last month, I haven't heard back from them yet....so we'll see what plays out.
EgyptianGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:01 PM   #929
Jimmer
practical experience, FTW

Jimmer is on a distinguished road
I'm certainly glad to hear Josh is back at his computer interacting with us poor souls once again. He's had my partial without a peep since March 2.
Jimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:07 PM   #930
redlady1
figuring it all out

redlady1 is on a distinguished road
Maya Rock requested my full on 02/28 and I haven't heard anything from her since. I've sent two "pings" but haven't gotten a response to either. Any advice?

Hunter of the Dead: Query-go-round
Queen of Swords: Rewrite
redlady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:48 PM   #931
MissKris
Is the random.

MissKris should run for PresidentMissKris should run for PresidentMissKris should run for PresidentMissKris should run for PresidentMissKris should run for PresidentMissKris should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmer View Post
I'm certainly glad to hear Josh is back at his computer interacting with us poor souls once again. He's had my partial without a peep since March 2.
I never heard back from him, either, Jimmer. My work was sent off in February. I've written it off at this point and moved on to another manuscript.
MissKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:30 AM   #932
Jimmer

Jimmer is on a distinguished road
Publishing has got to be the least efficient business model in the solar system.

Publishing makes government bureaucracy look nimble.

It's embarrassing. Shameful.

Ridiculous.
Jimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:48 PM   #933
Glamour177
Needs to Learn Patience.

Glamour177 is on a distinguished road
For those of you that might have been waiting for Jodi Reamer's office, I just got a big R from her office. My partial was sent in on 3/25.
Glamour177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:58 PM   #934
Juneluv12
Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants

Juneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamour177 View Post
For those of you that might have been waiting for Jodi Reamer's office, I just got a big R from her office. My partial was sent in on 3/25.
So sorry Glamour...I haven't even gotten a query rejection from April....

JtBH: YA Contemp: Agented

"Without the bitter, baby, the sweet just ain't as sweet."--Vanilla Sky
Juneluv12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:00 PM   #935
Vandal
In the Center of things

Vandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

I've been waiting for her to respond since 4/17. My R is imminent.

Center Point is available from Writers AMuse Me Publishing

Dizzy Miss Lizzie returns November 22, 2014!

My website
Vandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:14 AM   #936
Lovebug
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Lovebug is well-respected
Sorry Glamour. Don't give up!

TFE: Salvation (Book 1): Complete and chillin.'
LO: 60,000 --> complete, and editing.
(Book 3): 46,000/?--> relaxing.
KO: writing.
Lovebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:05 AM   #937
ChelseaWriter

ChelseaWriter has a spectacular auraChelseaWriter has a spectacular aura
Quote:
My partial was rejected this morning, too, Glamour (after a 5-month wait). I feel your pain...

The letter was very professional and kind, but I do wonder if Ms. Reamer herself ever read the pages. I got the feeling that the assistant made the decision. Just a hunch. *shrugs*

Onward and upward, I guess...

Last edited by ChelseaWriter; 07-16-2009 at 08:10 AM.
ChelseaWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:09 AM   #938
EgyptianGoddess
Working On Life

EgyptianGoddess has a spectacular aura
Josh has requested the first fifty pages.
EgyptianGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:26 PM   #939
litgirl

litgirl is on a distinguished road
12-hour rejection from Lindsay Davis. Alas. This is my first response to queries on my new book. It's been a while since I last played the query game, and it looks like I need to drag out my old dragon hide suit. :P
litgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:43 AM   #940
Pesimisticus
Join us. We have cookies.

Pesimisticus is on a distinguished road
Question DL

Anybody queried Dan lately? I just queried him Friday and got an auto response that he's out of the office. I'm hoping to get a response before they all go on vacation
Pesimisticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:36 PM   #941
Rowan
Wielder of the Witchblade

Rowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesimisticus View Post
Anybody queried Dan lately? I just queried him Friday and got an auto response that he's out of the office. I'm hoping to get a response before they all go on vacation
I queried Dan on 7/8/09 and received a response on 7/9/09 (rejection) -- both via e-mail. He's very fast!
Good luck!

"There is something Pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything." - Lord Byron
Old 07-26-2009, 11:50 PM   #942
Pesimisticus
Join us. We have cookies.

Pesimisticus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
I queried Dan on 7/8/09 and received a response on 7/9/09 (rejection) -- both via e-mail. He's very fast!
Good luck!
Thank you!
Pesimisticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:55 PM   #943
Tuuli
Research Addict

Tuuli is well-respected
For those of you with partials and fulls with Jodi, her assistant is firing off rejections again today. Myself and another writer I know just received ours. Good luck to those of you still waiting. And in case you want to know, it is a form rejection. (not a big surprise though).
Tuuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:01 PM   #944
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Jodi requires a snail mail query. Do her rejections come via e-mail?

Love Sucks - now available at Musa Publishing, B&N, and Amazon
"Fireflies" - Absolute Visions

A Paranormal Bromance - 65K-word YA contemp fantasy
Want to beta? Rep or PM me.
Query in progress here.

Taylor-Made, version 4: Final read-through!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:25 PM   #945
Juneluv12
Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants

Juneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuuli View Post
For those of you with partials and fulls with Jodi, her assistant is firing off rejections again today. Myself and another writer I know just received ours. Good luck to those of you still waiting. And in case you want to know, it is a form rejection. (not a big surprise though).
Sorry, Tulli. I know you've been waiting for awhile.

Maybe I'll get my query R soon!

JtBH: YA Contemp: Agented

"Without the bitter, baby, the sweet just ain't as sweet."--Vanilla Sky
Juneluv12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:49 PM   #946
Tuuli
Research Addict

Tuuli is well-respected
Thanks Juneluv12. It's been so long it no longer felt real that she had it. All I wanted was the closure. I'm still thrilled she requested the partial, though. That was big in itself. Meanwhile, I'm finishing off the requested revisions made by another agent, plus I'm busy working on two new novels (one's almost complete and one's in the outlining stage). Yes, life and writing do go on even while waiting.

Sage, no they come via the SASE you were supposed to enclose with the query. The partial requests come either by that or via email.
Tuuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:53 PM   #947
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
OKay, cool. I'll keep my eye on the mailbox still then.

Love Sucks - now available at Musa Publishing, B&N, and Amazon
"Fireflies" - Absolute Visions

A Paranormal Bromance - 65K-word YA contemp fantasy
Want to beta? Rep or PM me.
Query in progress here.

Taylor-Made, version 4: Final read-through!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:18 AM   #948
ChelseaWriter

ChelseaWriter has a spectacular auraChelseaWriter has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuuli View Post
Thanks Juneluv12. It's been so long it no longer felt real that she had it. All I wanted was the closure. I'm still thrilled she requested the partial, though. That was big in itself.
This was exactly how I felt - glad/excited for the request, but thankful for the rejection (the closure) when it finally came.
ChelseaWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:00 PM   #949
Swamproot
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Swamproot is on a distinguished road
For those who have a partial with Jodi and are still waiting to hear: I submitted mine to Alec Shane, Jodi's assistant, at his request in response to my query and synopsis on April 20, 2009. Alec read it and requested a full on July 30, 2009. Alec said he would read it over the weekend or in the next few weeks, and if he likes it, he would recommend that Jodi read the full. He said that he and Jodi usually agree on the merits of a manuscript, but not always. I would expect Alec to be the filter through which your query/partial/full must pass before it gets to Jodi from now on, as I get the feeling Jodi is inundated with queries and manuscripts. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Swamproot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:14 PM   #950
bluehippo
figuring it all out

bluehippo is on a distinguished road
Has anyone had any dealings with Maya Rock. I queried her back in June and never heard anything back from her. I just wondered if she usually sends rejections or doesn't respond to those she's not interested in.
bluehippo is offline   Reply With Quote